What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lawrence of Arabia (1 Viewer)

SofaKings

Footballguy
Just finished it!

What a great flick!

Can anyone recommend a book covering Lawrence?

I've read a few magazine articles on him but am interested in learning more.

david lean is one of my all time fave directors. If you like that try out Dr. Zhivago and Bridge on the River Kwai. He knows how to make every shot epic.

Best movie ever. Read Seven Pillars of Wisdom.

Honestly, this is my favorite movie ever, and I'm still bitter that Peck won the 62 Best Actor oscar over O'Toole. I've read just about every book published by or about TE Lawrence (I had a lot of spare time to kill my junior year of college)

Best movie ever. Read Seven Pillars of Wisdom.Honestly, this is my favorite movie ever, and I'm still bitter that Peck won the 62 Best Actor oscar over O'Toole. I've read just about every book published by or about TE Lawrence (I had a lot of spare time to kill my junior year of college)
Cool. Thanks.

Best movie ever. Read Seven Pillars of Wisdom.Honestly, this is my favorite movie ever, and I'm still bitter that Peck won the 62 Best Actor oscar over O'Toole. I've read just about every book published by or about TE Lawrence (I had a lot of spare time to kill my junior year of college)
There were lots of excellent performances in LoA. Omar Sharif as Sherif Ali is great and won him a Best Supporting Actor Oscar, and so is Alec Guiness as Prince Faisal al Saud, the chief of the al Saud tribe who later becomes the first king of Saudi Arabia. It's a great movie, well deserving of its Best Picture Oscar and its somewhat iconic status, even if some of it's history is a little off.

About as exciting as watching paint dry.Less exciting than watching old people eat. :yawn: :sleep:
:no:
:shrug: I've watched it twice. The second time on the 92" big screen so it was BIG the way it's "supposed" to be. I guess I just don't get "classic" movies in the same way that I don't get "classic" books.I'm glad for the people that like them. I'm sure I've got many movies on my favorite list that most people think are :yucky:

About as exciting as watching paint dry.Less exciting than watching old people eat. :shrug: :shrug:
:lmao:
:lmao: I've watched it twice. The second time on the 92" big screen so it was BIG the way it's "supposed" to be. I guess I just don't get "classic" movies in the same way that I don't get "classic" books.I'm glad for the people that like them. I'm sure I've got many movies on my favorite list that most people think are :goodposting:
What about classics like The Godfather? Is there a cut off year, before which certain movies bore you?

Just ordered Seven Pillars.

About as exciting as watching paint dry.Less exciting than watching old people eat. :yawn: :sleep:
I usually respect, and often agree with, your opinions Andy. You are dead wrong on this one.
Hey. What's that speck out on the horizon?................................................................................................................................Is it just me or is the speck getting bigger?..............................................................................................................................The speck's a BLOB now!.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Is that a camel?........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I think it might be a person.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... :lmao:

About as exciting as watching paint dry.

Less exciting than watching old people eat.

:yawn: :sleep:
I usually respect, and often agree with, your opinions Andy. You are dead wrong on this one.
Hey. What's that speck out on the horizon?...................................................................................................................

Is it just me or is the speck getting bigger?.................................

................................................................................

The speck's a BLOB now!...........................................................

................................................................................

Is that a camel?..........................................................................

I think it might be a person........................................................

:lmao:
X

Borrowed this from a friend, I've had it for a month and just haven't found the 4 hours to watch it yet.

What about classics like The Godfather? Is there a cut off year, before which certain movies bore you?
I've said many times that The Godfather is overrated.There is a definite cutoff date for me - 1977. Yes, that means Star Wars. :(
This has to be a :lmao: trip. How can you expect anyone to take your opinion on the subject seriously if you pick an arbitrary year as a cut-off point for the quality of movies?

Lawrence of Arabia is the reason the A-rabs have all the oil.No reason to thank him.
Interesting. And here I thought it was because they happen to live where the oil is. Crazy me.Besides, who's thanking him for anything - we're talking about a movie.

I've said many times that The Godfather is overrated.There is a definite cutoff date for me - 1977. Yes, that means Star Wars. :confused:
This has to be a :blackdot: trip. How can you expect anyone to take your opinion on the subject seriously if you pick an arbitrary year as a cut-off point for the quality of movies?
I don't care if anyone considers my opinion on the matter at all - seriously or not. Movies are a matter of taste and for my tastes I can't think of a single movie pre-1977 that I thoroughly enjoyed.

If it weren't for him the Ottoman Turks would have it, and those guys were total nut blisters for 600 years.
Not entirely true. At the beginning of their Empire, especially under Sulieman (The Great) they were actually pretty advanced and secular - in some ways moreso than the European empires they butted heads with at the time.But by the time WWI rolled around they were indeed far removed from the greatness of the early part of their empire. They were ripe for a fall regardless, I doubt they'd have been able to hold on to the oil rich areas for very long.

I don't care if anyone considers my opinion on the matter at all - seriously or not. Movies are a matter of taste and for my tastes I can't think of a single movie pre-1977 that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Jaws?Taxi Driver?Spartacus?Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?The Three/Four Musketeers?Logun's Run? :shock:

If it weren't for him the Ottoman Turks would have it, and those guys were total nut blisters for 600 years.
Not entirely true. At the beginning of their Empire, especially under Sulieman (The Great) they were actually pretty advanced and secular - in some ways moreso than the European empires they butted heads with at the time.But by the time WWI rolled around they were indeed far removed from the greatness of the early part of their empire. They were ripe for a fall regardless, I doubt they'd have been able to hold on to the oil rich areas for very long.
Oh I'm not arguing the empire's organization, advancement, and military skills (though by 1916 the Young Turk party was a welcome change.) No, I mean the Ottoman Turks were like a nut blister to Western Europe. They were a major pain, and for a loooong time looked like they were set to sweep across Europe if they could just get past Vienna. The Arabs were a bunch of daycare workers compared to them.

Lawrence of Arabia is the reason the A-rabs have all the oil.No reason to thank him.
I believe Lawrence wanted the Arabs to rule themselves without outside interference - including the British.
Yes. And that put him at odds with the Sykes-Picot Agreement between Britain and France. Of course it's the only thing that could have worked, so good on him.

I've said many times that The Godfather is overrated.There is a definite cutoff date for me - 1977. Yes, that means Star Wars. :wall:
This has to be a :shock: trip. How can you expect anyone to take your opinion on the subject seriously if you pick an arbitrary year as a cut-off point for the quality of movies?
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb ?2001: A Space Odyssey ?A Clockwork Orange?

I've said many times that The Godfather is overrated.There is a definite cutoff date for me - 1977. Yes, that means Star Wars. :shrug:
This has to be a :thumbup: trip. How can you expect anyone to take your opinion on the subject seriously if you pick an arbitrary year as a cut-off point for the quality of movies?
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb ?2001: A Space Odyssey ?A Clockwork Orange?
Hell, with 1977 he's cutting off Rooster Cogburn. The man has no taste.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb -
Enjoyed, but not thoroughly. Actually, it's been a while and I should watch it again.
2001: A Space Odyssey -
As a movie, it's Kubrick at his pretentious best. Long and boring. If I look at it like a painting, however, there are parts that are pretty good.
A Clockwork Orange? -
Been too long since I've seen it. Didn't enjoy it much when I did.Good lord, I think I'm turning into Smoo.

Oh I'm not arguing the empire's organization, advancement, and military skills (though by 1916 the Young Turk party was a welcome change.) No, I mean the Ottoman Turks were like a nut blister to Western Europe. They were a major pain, and for a loooong time looked like they were set to sweep across Europe if they could just get past Vienna. The Arabs were a bunch of daycare workers compared to them.
:hifive: Mehmed and Sulieman really did put a scare into Western Europe didn't they? A fascinating period of history that doesn't get the attention it deserves in my opinion. So little was known about the Turks until they exploded on the scene in Asia minor, then they become a world power almost overnight for a few hundred years, scare the heck out of the Christian monarchs and clergy of Western Europe while actually being way more tolerant of other religions than those people ever were, and so on. Plus the whole Vlad Dracul episode.

My favorite book on the subject:

Mehmed The Conqueror And His Time

LoA could have been made yesterday and it would be an all time great. Greats that also stand the test of time are true classics.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Good The Bad And The Ugly?

Fistfull Of Dollars?

For A Few Dollars More?

The Dirty Dozen?

Monty Python And The Holy Grail?
this is maybe the best of the clint roles. it is stylized, genre defining and often very funny. more often than not, i found it just really cool.

Users who are viewing this thread