What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LB Tiers (7 Viewers)

Jene, what do you think of Dent and what tier would you have him in?How's the MLB situation in ATL going to play out?I think Lofton would be looking for a 3-down role and a contract reflective of that. ATL probably won't pay him what he'd be looking for.
Too early to slot him in a tier. He's unproven and unlikely to play in subpackages ahead of Weatherspoon and Nicholas unless he really surprises. Put him in the back half of the upside roster tier and roster him only in deeper leagues.

The value of Weatherspoon is only going to be up. He will be relied on even more as he takes a more significant role on the D. WLB is a good fantasy spot still especially if you give any type of nice big play bonus. He would be one of my targets in every league this year if I was doing a startup or trade for.

What's the perceived effect of the regime change in Tampa on Mason Foster? I liked what I saw out of Foster in his first season. Tough to say what impact if any the front office housecleaning will have.
I think the new flavor of the 4-3 (assuming it's the same Miami style 4-3 Schiano and Butch Davis have favored in the past) could be very good for Foster. But I'm not sold on him. He really struggled between the tackles at times and was up and down in coverage. If he's the every-down MLB in a slightly more downhill scheme and the DTs are healthy, it'll be hard to keep him out of the top 20-25. But I'm not yet convinced his ceiling is as high as others who have thrived in that scheme before him.
The article linked below talks about possibility of moving Foster outside. Something to definitely watch to see if Bucs bring in a MLB through free agency. Moving Mason Foster could make sense for Bucs

'rlwomack said:
What's the perceived effect of the regime change in Tampa on Mason Foster? I liked what I saw out of Foster in his first season. Tough to say what impact if any the front office housecleaning will have.
I think the new flavor of the 4-3 (assuming it's the same Miami style 4-3 Schiano and Butch Davis have favored in the past) could be very good for Foster. But I'm not sold on him. He really struggled between the tackles at times and was up and down in coverage. If he's the every-down MLB in a slightly more downhill scheme and the DTs are healthy, it'll be hard to keep him out of the top 20-25. But I'm not yet convinced his ceiling is as high as others who have thrived in that scheme before him.
The article linked below talks about possibility of moving Foster outside. Something to definitely watch to see if Bucs bring in a MLB through free agency. Moving Mason Foster could make sense for Bucs
:thumbup: Talked about this a little in the 2012 scheme thread last week and then on Twitter as part of a discussion on whether a team in the top ten (I.e. the Buccaneers) might be willing to take a chance on Luke Kuechly after his combine performance. Certainly seems like the Bucs are thinking about remaking the LB group.

1. Think Hawthorne will be a starting MLB for some team after free agency?

2. Think Dan Connor can find a starting LB spot? What type of scheme do you predict?

1. Think Hawthorne will be a starting MLB for some team after free agency?2. Think Dan Connor can find a starting LB spot? What type of scheme do you predict?
Not sure about Hawthorne. I think he's more Stephen Tulloch than Barrett Ruud, but the knees could scare teams looking to invest in Hawthorne, unsure of whether he can play every down. The Seahawks have some nice young talent at linebacker, but it's worrisome that they aren't in a hurry to bring him back.I think Connor is a base defensive player only, either 4-3 MLB / 3-4 SILB. The speculation about the Eagles is interesting, but Connor is a long shot to earn more fantasy value than he's had in the past two seasons.

Thanks for the list Jene! I'm curious as to your thoughts on David Harris. Why do you think his numbers are so inconsistent? Is it the presence of Bart Scott (who could be on his way out)? Assuming Scott leaves, will Harris see an uptick in stats? I like the fact he had 5 sacks and 4 INTs last year. That helps compensate for the "low" (80+) tackle numbers.

He's available in a couple leagues I'm in and I need LB help like nobody's business so I'm targeting him if the price is right.

Thanks for the list Jene! I'm curious as to your thoughts on David Harris. Why do you think his numbers are so inconsistent? Is it the presence of Bart Scott (who could be on his way out)? Assuming Scott leaves, will Harris see an uptick in stats? I like the fact he had 5 sacks and 4 INTs last year. That helps compensate for the "low" (80+) tackle numbers.He's available in a couple leagues I'm in and I need LB help like nobody's business so I'm targeting him if the price is right.
He's been dinged up frequently over the past two seasons and it's limited his power between the tackles and range. There's some upside with him, but I don't think he'll have a sustained run of LB1 numbers like he did at the end of his rookie season again. The big plays are a big bonus, though, and give him strong LB3 consideration with a little upside.

Any thoughts on Akeem Ayers?
Growing into a nice player, but plays a position that will severely limit his tackle upside, even if he continues in an every-down role. Needs to finish better as a pass rusher on passing downs to jump into anything resembling Von Miller potential.

Jene, what are your thoughts on Curtis Lofton if he lands with TB?

Does he fit in well as a 3 down MLB in their scheme?

Jene, what are your thoughts on Curtis Lofton if he lands with TB? Does he fit in well as a 3 down MLB in their scheme?
If TB signs him, they would presumably be giving him a contract paying him like an every down player. He doesn't have elite range, but neither did Channing Crowder in a similar scheme in his best Miami season(s). I think it'd be a good landing spot for him.

Jene, what are your thoughts on Curtis Lofton if he lands with TB? Does he fit in well as a 3 down MLB in their scheme?
If TB signs him, they would presumably be giving him a contract paying him like an every down player. He doesn't have elite range, but neither did Channing Crowder in a similar scheme in his best Miami season(s). I think it'd be a good landing spot for him.
Thanks, Jene!! I am praying for him to land there!!

Thanks, Jene!! I am praying for him to land there!!
:hifive:

Per Rotoworld, looks like Dan Connor has signed with Dallas.

How do you read the tea leaves there Jene?

Will Connor be a starter/3-down ILB?

Per Rotoworld, looks like Dan Connor has signed with Dallas.How do you read the tea leaves there Jene?Will Connor be a starter/3-down ILB?
Think Connor likely slated to play in the base with Carter playing in nickel packages. Hope everyone has been following along on Twitter. Braking news and lots of good discussion over past three days.

Where would you put Lofa Tatupu is he ends up on Philly?
Toward the end of the LB3/depth tier if he's able to play every down. Would expect that I'd be lower on him than most if that happens. He'd have to show much better range and power between the tackles before I'd consider him. Instincts and proper run fits can only get you so far. I'd love to see his knees healthy enough to allow him to play as he did five years ago, but I think it's a longshot. Very much doubt that anyone signs him with the expectation that he can hold up as a starting inside linebacker.
I would assume the same assessment now that he's on Atlanta?

Where would you put Lofa Tatupu is he ends up on Philly?
Toward the end of the LB3/depth tier if he's able to play every down. Would expect that I'd be lower on him than most if that happens. He'd have to show much better range and power between the tackles before I'd consider him. Instincts and proper run fits can only get you so far. I'd love to see his knees healthy enough to allow him to play as he did five years ago, but I think it's a longshot. Very much doubt that anyone signs him with the expectation that he can hold up as a starting inside linebacker.
I would assume the same assessment now that he's on Atlanta?
I strongly suspect that Weatherspoon and Nicholas will be the nickel backers in Atlanta, whether Tatupu starts in the base or not.

where does the Eagles trade for DeMeco Ryans place him... I'd have to say LB2 at least right??

'blend said:
where does the Eagles trade for DeMeco Ryans place him... I'd have to say LB2 at least right??
Yes, very interested in Ryan's prospects now. I'm also interested in why you have Tulloch OUT of the top 20 LBs. He signed a nice deal yesterday keeping him in Detroit for the foreseeable future, and he's getting paid as if he'll be used as a 3-down MLB in a 4-3 scheme (hard to come by these days). He led the Lions in solos, was #13 in solos in the league for LBs - and was a top 10 LB in my league (fairly standard IDP scoring).

'blend said:
Yes, very interested in Ryan's prospects now. I'm also interested in why you have Tulloch OUT of the top 20 LBs. He signed a nice deal yesterday keeping him in Detroit for the foreseeable future, and he's getting paid as if he'll be used as a 3-down MLB in a 4-3 scheme (hard to come by these days). He led the Lions in solos, was #13 in solos in the league for LBs - and was a top 10 LB in my league (fairly standard IDP scoring).
Ryans will be somewhere in the LB2 tier, yes.At the time the first version of these tiers were written, Tulloch wasn't certain to return to Detroit after a solid but not elite statistical finish in the anchor solo tackle category (just 84). Also, Tulloch isn't necessarily outside the top 20 linebackers. He's in a large group that extends from the mid teens to the low twenties depending on how you rank him inside those two LB2 tiers.Now that he's settled back in Detroit, he'll probably slide up a few spots in preference in the tier I currently have him in at minimum. My next update (post FA) will be another gut feel set of tiers. Shortly after the draft, I'll do a full set of projections to cross-check myself and make sure I'm not under/over rating any particular player because of my gut / eyes-on feeling.

Now that he's settled back in Detroit, he'll probably slide up a few spots in preference in the tier I currently have him in at minimum. My next update (post FA) will be another gut feel set of tiers. Shortly after the draft, I'll do a full set of projections to cross-check myself and make sure I'm not under/over rating any particular player because of my gut / eyes-on feeling.
Jene -Thanks for the response. I'm looking to do something similar myself this year, but really don't know how to tackle the job (pardon the pun). Where does one start in an effort to do a IDP projection? I'm kinda thinking of looking at the solo tackle numbers for the past few years (#1 LB was 115 last year, 114 the year before), finding that average (114.5), then giving that projection to the #1 LB on my list (lets assume D'Qwell)..and then going on down the list. Good place to start?

Now that he's settled back in Detroit, he'll probably slide up a few spots in preference in the tier I currently have him in at minimum. My next update (post FA) will be another gut feel set of tiers. Shortly after the draft, I'll do a full set of projections to cross-check myself and make sure I'm not under/over rating any particular player because of my gut / eyes-on feeling.
Jene -Thanks for the response. I'm looking to do something similar myself this year, but really don't know how to tackle the job (pardon the pun). Where does one start in an effort to do a IDP projection? I'm kinda thinking of looking at the solo tackle numbers for the past few years (#1 LB was 115 last year, 114 the year before), finding that average (114.5), then giving that projection to the #1 LB on my list (lets assume D'Qwell)..and then going on down the list. Good place to start?
If you project numbers that way, you'll be confirming any pre-set bias you have in your rankings and the projections won't hold much value.Every year, I'll find that a player I really like on film is in a tier higher than he should be (or, more often, the reverse) because I've misread his statistical upside. I'll run a set of numbers (objectively and totally separate from my pre-conceived tier bias) and be surprised at what I see when I sort. When that happens, I give that particular projection a hard look and try to decide where the disconnect lies.

I have an extensive list of things that I'm thinking about as I generate the numbers -- talent, scheme and defensive philosophy, expected snap count, expected tackle opportunity, surrounding cast, durability, chance that any of the above could swing toward an upside or floor. I'll look at recent trends in the scheme and for the player, but try not to rely heavily on past statistical performances as a starting point.

I'm not as rigid about matching to league norms or making sure the total team numbers look right as the offensive guys. That's primarily because I don't have the time or feel it necessary to project 25 defensive players per team, but also because the tier process allows for some margin of error in the final reckoning.

Any thoughts about Josh Mauga, ILB for the Jets? Kind of sleeper, but Bart Scott looks to be on his way out, and Mauga impressed in the preseason last year and in limited action. Could he be of any value if he wins a starting job next to David Harris?

'matttyl said:
I strongly dislike this method of ranking.

Jene, as you probably expected, I'm wondering what your views are of Lofton now that he's a Saint... It sounds like he'll be a 3 downer, but what are your thoughts??

Thanks in advance!

Is Johnathan Goff's upside dependent on him re-signing with the Giants or do you just like him as a player? If he leaves do you see Greg Jones as their every down MLB and where would you put him on this list?
Ralph Vacchiano‏@TheBlueScreenReplyJerry Reese was asked who the Giants' MLB would be if they had a game tomorrow. His answer: "I’m not sure." #NYGReese then mentioned three "interesting candidates for that job": Mark Herzlich, Greg Jones and ... Michael Boley. #NYG

Last edited by a moderator:
Version 1.0

ELITE

Desmond Bishop

D’Qwell Jackson

Patrick Willis

Derrick Johnson

LB1 W/ ??? FLOOR

Colin McCarthy

Daryl Washington

Sean Lee

Curtis Lofton

James Laurinaitis

Ray Lewis

Pat Angerer

NaVorro Bowman

David Hawthorne

LB2 HIGH FLOOR

Paul Posluszny

Donald Butler

Jerod Mayo

Chad Greenway

Jon Beason

London Fletcher

DJ Williams

Brian Cushing

Brian Urlacher

Stephen Tulloch

LB2 HIGH CEILING

Lawrence Timmons

Rolando McClain

Sean Weatherspoon

James Anderson

Kelvin Sheppard

Karlos Dansby

Mason Foster

Perry Riley

Brandon Spikes

RUSH LB2

Von Miller

DeMarcus Ware

Tamba Hali

James Harrison

Kamerion Wimbley

Aldon Smith

LB3 LOW RISK/DEPTH

Lance Briggs

Kevin Burnett

Nick Barnett

David Harris

Jonathan Vilma

Michael Boley

Mathias Kiwanuka

Thomas Howard

Daryl Smith

Paris Lenon

DeAndre Levy

AJ Hawk

EJ Henderson

RUSH LB3

Connor Barwin

Clay Matthews

LaMarr Woodley

Ryan Kerrigan

Brooks Reed

Justin Houston

Shaun Phillips

Brian Orakpo

Sam Acho

UPSIDE ROSTERS/TIER JUMPERS

Bruce Carter

Rey Maualuga

Nate Irving

Jonathan Goff

Barrett Ruud

Thomas Davis

DeMeco Ryans

Martez Wilson

KJ Wright

ROOKIE WATCH

Luke Kuechly

Vontaze Burfict

Donta Hightower

Zach Brown

Lavonte David

Bobby Wagner

James-Michael Johnson

Sean Spence

Demario Davis

Audie Cole

Mychal Kendricks

Nigel Bradham

Keenan Robinson

Emmanuel Acho

Shea McClellin

Courtney Upshaw

Nick Perry

Melvin Ingram

Cam Johnson

Andre Branch

Vinny Curry

Bruce Irvin
To Jene Bramel or anyone with some input on Ninkovich lb ranking

I didn't see Ninkovich NE LB on the list. At the end of last year and playoffs he seemed to really come on. I believe he is a 3 down lber. Was this an error or he's ranked below all these guys?

Jene, How do you think Darryl Sharpton will do in Houston?
I've seen more than one report that suggested the Texans' opinion of Sharpton had something to do with the decision to deal Ryans. I'm not sure I'm buying that given that he played less than 100 snaps before tearing a quad tendon last year and didn't set the field on fire before a shoulder injury ended his 2010 season. I think he's the current favorite to play inside next to Cushing, but his upside is limited unless he wins a job on passing downs.
Jene, as you probably expected, I'm wondering what your views are of Lofton now that he's a Saint... It sounds like he'll be a 3 downer, but what are your thoughts??
I think Vilma will be suspended for a significant number of games. I also think that Lofton outside and Vilma inside is questionable, though it wouldn't be as shocking in a Spagnuolo defense. Taken together, I think Lofton is the MLB this year, despite suggestions that he could play OLB alongside Vilma. Whether he remains a LB2+ or better fantasy play is dependent on whether the Saints leave him in subpackages. Vilma's presence on the active roster would confuse that picture for sure.
I didn't see Ninkovich NE LB on the list. At the end of last year and playoffs he seemed to really come on. I believe he is a 3 down lber. Was this an error or he's ranked below all these guys?
He should probably be in back half of the second tier of rush LBs. I'm generally not a fan of rush OLBs without double digit sack upside, but Ninkovich played well enough last year to earn consideration there.

'Fiddles said:
Is Johnathan Goff's upside dependent on him re-signing with the Giants or do you just like him as a player? If he leaves do you see Greg Jones as their every down MLB and where would you put him on this list?
Ralph Vacchiano‏@TheBlueScreenReplyJerry Reese was asked who the Giants' MLB would be if they had a game tomorrow. His answer: "I’m not sure." #NYGReese then mentioned three "interesting candidates for that job": Mark Herzlich, Greg Jones and ... Michael Boley. #NYG
With how things ended I think the giants will prolly be looking for another starting quality lb'er but not necessarily a MLB. Boley basically played the role last year with the high amount of nickel they played last year. They played alot due to injury but with how things ended and the fact vick/rg3/romo are in the division big nickel will likely be the base formation anyways

Last edited by a moderator:
Jene, what do you think of Dent and what tier would you have him in?How's the MLB situation in ATL going to play out?I think Lofton would be looking for a 3-down role and a contract reflective of that. ATL probably won't pay him what he'd be looking for.
Too early to slot him in a tier. He's unproven and unlikely to play in subpackages ahead of Weatherspoon and Nicholas unless he really surprises. Put him in the back half of the upside roster tier and roster him only in deeper leagues.
They also signed Lofa Tatupu.

With the lofty talk of Weatherspoon in Atl how do you see him? 3 down player in the flexible 4-3, 3-4 they've been talking about?

Version 2.0

ELITE

Desmond Bishop

D’Qwell Jackson

Colin McCarthy +

Derrick Johnson

Patrick Willis

James Laurinaitis +

LB1 w/ ELITE UPSIDE

Sean Lee

Daryl Washington

NaVorro Bowman

Ray Lewis

ELITE LB2 w/ LB1 UPSIDE

Paul Posluszny +

Curtis Lofton

Sean Weatherspoon +

Donald Butler +

Pat Angerer -

Stephen Tulloch

These next three tiers represent one huge tier. These names would be mixed together in a straight rank list. I’ve lumped them into three tiers to show their relative risk profiles. Expect 1-3 of these guys to jump into the elite tiers in the coming months and a good number to drop into the LB3 tier categories as well.

HIGH FLOOR LB2

Brian Cushing

(London Fletcher)

Nick Barnett +

DeMeco Ryans ++

Brian Urlacher

Jerod Mayo

Chad Greenway

Perry Riley

Karlos Dansby

RISK-REWARD LB2

Jon Beason

Lawrence Timmons

Rolando McClain

Brandon Spikes

Erin Henderson ++

James Anderson

David Hawthorne -

DJ Williams – Wes Woodyard

Kavell Conner +

Kevin Burnett +

KJ Wright ++

Mason Foster

RUSH LB2

DeMarcus Ware

James Harrison

Von Miller

Aldon Smith +

Tamba Hali

Robert Mathis +

Clay Matthews

HIGH FLOOR LB3

David Harris

Stephen Nicholas ++

Lance Briggs

Michael Boley

Daryl Smith

(Jonathan Vilma)

AJ Hawk

Takeo Spikes

RUSH LB3

Connor Barwin

Justin Houston

LaMarr Woodley

Anthony Spencer

Brian Orakpo

Rob Ninkovich

Calvin Pace

Brooks Reed

Shaun Phillips

Ryan Kerrigan

Jarret Johnson

Sam Acho

Dwight Freeney

MATCHUP LB3

Mathias Kiwanuka

Kelvin Sheppard -

Joe Mays

Dan Connor ++

DeAndre Levy -

Jasper Brinkley +

Jovan Belcher

Lofa Tatupu ++

Darryl Sharpton +

Justin Durant

Akeem Ayers

Thomas Howard

Rey Maualuga

POTENTIAL TIER JUMPERS

Thomas Davis

Martez Wilson

Nate Irving

Bruce Carter

Jonathan Goff

(EJ Henderson) --

Akeem Dent +

Malcolm Smith +

ROOKIE WATCH

Luke Kuechly

Vontaze Burfict

Donta Hightower

Zach Brown

Lavonte David

Bobby Wagner

James-Michael Johnson

Sean Spence

Demario Davis

Audie Cole

Mychal Kendricks

Nigel Bradham

Keenan Robinson

Emmanuel Acho

Shea McClellin

Courtney Upshaw

Nick Perry

Melvin Ingram

Cam Johnson

Andre Branch

Vinny Curry

Bruce Irvin

Curious as to why Kelvin Sheppard fell in your second version and Nick Barnett rose up a tier or so. Isn't Sheppard going to man the middle in their new 4-3 defense and Barnett getting pushed out to WLB? Am I missing something here?

Is the + behind Butler a result of some news/speculation that he will be on the field on passing downs in 2012 ?

Is the + behind Butler a result of some news/speculation that he will be on the field on passing downs in 2012 ?
The + notation means he's moved up a tier (roughly) since the previously posted tiers.In this case, that's because I believe he'll be an every-down player this year.

I've missed the news on Erin and EJ Henderson. Is Erin the nicklebacker?
EJ remains unsigned and the Vikings seem to have little interest in re-signing him currently. I think he'll find a job shortly after the draft.I've seen some early hype on Jasper Brinkley, but I'm not buying it. He's a two down thumper. I was a little surprised that Erin didn't get more love on the free agent market, but he's clearly the better subpackage option to me. The Vikings seemed to believe so last year, when Erin played on passing downs ahead of EJ when EJ seemed near full health.

'Jene Bramel said:
'tonato said:
The + notation means he's moved up a tier (roughly) since the previously posted tiers.In this case, that's because I believe he'll be an every-down player this year.
I'm a Butler owner but didn't get to see him in action (difficult to watch games in Australia). Is this ranking based largely on his situation or does he have the skill to keep this type of ranking up regardless of situation down the road?I'm also a McCarthy owner and want to know if the hype around these guys is for real or are they likely to crash and burn if the situation changes. I liked both players enough out of college to draft them in my dynasty IDP rookie drafts, but never expected them to make Tier 1 LB type status in the same region as Willis and Ray Lewis. Every year around this time there are guys at LB overhyped because of situation and short term production. Do they have the skill to continue this long term?

'Jene Bramel said:
'voiceofunreason said:
Picked up DJ Smith off waivers when Bishop was out last year. Any prayer of him doing anything?
It's doubtful, but the Packers have said that he'll get a chance to compete with AJ Hawk this summer.
I doubt it too. I expect them to bring someone else or draft someone before using him, but it's hard to guess what Thompson has planned. The draft should give a glimpse into his thinking, but I would hold onto Smith for now.They haven't had good success with last LB picks besides Bishop. I expect them to pick someone high.

Users who are viewing this thread