What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Left ear clogged for 5 days. UPDATE (1 Viewer)

Willie Neslon

Footballguy
I saw this thread but it is archived and can't post in it.

I've tried ear wax drops, hydrogen peroxide, swimmers ear drops, hot water, jumping up and down whacking my head, yawning, gargling, gum, the pinch nose/close mouth blow out maneuver. Anything I'm missing? Anyone have the fix? I've been to a doctor 6 times in the last 5 weeks with this busted elbow and would like to avoid another visit if possible. It started with ear wax drops. Was having a problem with the other ear and then this one clogged and won't pop. Google not helping, anyone have a fix I haven't tried?

Last edited by a moderator:
The dr will end up flushing your ear canal out with hot water, shot in using what basically seems like a giant syringe. I don't think you should do this on your own.

The dr will end up flushing your ear canal out with hot water, shot in using what basically seems like a giant syringe. I don't think you should do this on your own.
You can buy a bulb syringe at any drug store to do this at home. :shrug:

You likely have excessive wax and need to flush it out. You can buy the small bulb style kits for around 10 bucks. It works well but may take a few flushes.

DON'T use hot OR cold water as your inner ear affects your equilibrium and you WILL be very dizzy/uncomfortable. Use only tepid water and you will be fine.

For years I went to the doctor annually for this until I tried the DIY.

i used to have to have this done every six months. feels kind of cool, like your brain is being rinsed. started using qtips a few years back after showers and no problems since.

You likely have excessive wax and need to flush it out. You can buy the small bulb style kits for around 10 bucks. It works well but may take a few flushes.

DON'T use hot OR cold water as your inner ear affects your equilibrium and you WILL be very dizzy/uncomfortable. Use only tepid water and you will be fine.

Like one of these things?

http://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Washer-Bottle-Doctor-Easy/dp/B005M2B5P0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433130239&sr=8-1&keywords=ear+flushing+kit

Have you used Debrox or some other carbamide peroxide product? Some of those come with a bulb syringe. My ears occasionally get clogged with wax. Like Ben and Jerry's said, it may take a few treatments.

Ive cleaned my own ear using warm water a couple times. You lightly shoot warm water into your ear using sort of like a baster, not something too small or too big. You want the water to be warm enough to actually loosen up the blockage but not to burn your ear as the inside of your ear is very sensitive.

You have to be patient, let it sit in your ear for a minute or two before letting it out and repeating. From my experience after ~10 minutes of this, the wax will loosen up and start falling out when sprayed with water, half way through you'll want to slowly right your head so your facing naturally, so the water will start pouring out as you spray it in.

Hope it helps.

Btw I used one of these, and a solo cup, ez pz.

Have you used Debrox or some other carbamide peroxide product? Some of those come with a bulb syringe. My ears occasionally get clogged with wax. Like Ben and Jerry's said, it may take a few treatments.
Debrox is what started this. Used it 4 times since.

Ive cleaned my own ear using warm water a couple times. You lightly shoot warm water into your ear using sort of like a baster, not something too small or too big. You want the water to be warm enough to actually loosen up the blockage but not to burn your ear as the inside of your ear is very sensitive.

You have to be patient, let it sit in your ear for a minute or two before letting it out and repeating. From my experience after ~10 minutes of this, the wax will loosen up and start falling out when sprayed with water, half way through you'll want to slowly right your head so your facing naturally, so the water will start pouring out as you spray it in.

Hope it helps.

Sounds like a good plan. I have to pick up one of those syringes I guess. It won't work with just the Solo cup? I have one of those.

Hope it helps.

Sounds like a good plan. I have to pick up one of those syringes I guess. It won't work with just the Solo cup? I have one of those.
I imagine you could get the water into your ear many ways, the rubber syringe is just a safe tool.

Hope it helps.

I imagine you could get the water into your ear many ways, the rubber syringe is just a safe tool.
I just found an old swimmers ear bottle that I cleaned out. Been squirting water in there. Made me crazy dizzy

May not be wax related. Could be sinusitis. I've been dealing with this for a couple of months. Doctor will prescribe antibiotics and probably some sort of nasal spray.

I've had ear infections and fungal infections (I would fall asleep at night with ear bud headphones on) where my ear got clogged for days. Saw an ENT Doc each time. They have this powerful mini tube vaccuum that sucks everything out. Liquid, ear wax, whatever. Instantly clears your ear and it is one of the best feelings in the world to have your ear unclogged like that. He sticks in some drops, gives me a prescription and sends me on my way.

Not saying this is it, but you should see a doctor and not waste time with home remedies that may be pointless, especially if you have an infection of some sort.

This is exactly the type I use. You fill it up with TEPID water (feels neither warm or cold). You insert the tip in your ear canal a comfortable distance (1/2")and BLAST the water in there. It is the flow that matters. The temperature is so you maintain your equilibrium. Keep your head level. It may take 6-7 bulbs full.

You should feel a tingling almost ticklish sensation as the stream rushes down your ear canal. Even at max discharge the water pressure will not damage your eardrum. You need the pressure to dislodge the wax. I often get solid pieces out about the size of an eraser on a new #2 pencil.

If you experience pain you could have an infection or other problem so cease with the irrigation and see a doctor.

My hearing improves instantly. You are likely to feel slightly dizzy for moment and have some water drainage for a minute but it is very effective and much better and safer than Q tips.

Like one of these things?

http://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Washer-Bottle-Doctor-Easy/dp/B005M2B5P0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433130239&sr=8-1&keywords=ear+flushing+kit
Actually, more like a Waterpik. I think my doctor used an actual waterpik like this years ago when I had this problem.

Debrox just loosens the wax up; it does not itself get rid of the wax. You need a bulb or syringe to get it out. The wax may have just shifted. You could go to a minute clinic or something if you prefer that to a doctor.

I have this problem a couple times a year.

Minute Clinic or any urgent care place will do this for you in a matter of minutes, especially if you've been debroxing already.

If you are trying to do it yourself make sure everything is sterile or you're going to end up with an ear infection. HTH.

So a couple months ago I was traveling for work and was battling a minor sinus infection. I get them a few times a year, no biggie. But apparently it was also an ear infection and the up-and-down of flying made my Eustachian tubes close up. For a few days it felt like I had headphones on, it was nuts. I went to an urgent care while on my trip and the Dr. gave me meds which helped but not fully. Went to an ENT locally when I got back and he said that he's seen the tubes not fully open for up to 3 months after. While it doesn't feel like I'm wearing headphones, my tubes are still not fully open.... driving me f'in bonkers. I am on Nasacort and Mucinex-D to try and get them to go back to normal.

It got so bad that I went in for a hearing test just to make sure the whole deal didn't jack my eardrums up. That said, it may be worth going to see an ENT if it doesn't improve.

Clog up your right ear with peanut butter, and the left won't seem to bother you nearly as much as it does now.

This is exactly the type I use. You fill it up with TEPID water (feels neither warm or cold). You insert the tip in your ear canal a comfortable distance (1/2")and BLAST the water in there. It is the flow that matters. The temperature is so you maintain your equilibrium. Keep your head level. It may take 6-7 bulbs full.

You should feel a tingling almost ticklish sensation as the stream rushes down your ear canal. Even at max discharge the water pressure will not damage your eardrum. You need the pressure to dislodge the wax. I often get solid pieces out about the size of an eraser on a new #2 pencil.

If you experience pain you could have an infection or other problem so cease with the irrigation and see a doctor.

My hearing improves instantly. You are likely to feel slightly dizzy for moment and have some water drainage for a minute but it is very effective and much better and safer than Q tips.
This whole thing is convincing me even more that my Q tip every day after showering routine is the right way to go.

I'm not talking about using them after letting it build up to this point, but keeping it from building up in the first place.

This whole thing is convincing me even more that my Q tip every day after showering routine is the right way to go.

I'm not talking about using them after letting it build up to this point, but keeping it from building up in the first place.

My doctor told me it's actually not good for your ears to 'clean' them frequently, that wax build up is a defense, it also keeps a level of moisture in your ear to prevent painful dry skin.

I was told to q-tip only when it was excessive and wasn't naturally draining (ear wax will periodically fall out of your ears, sort of like boogers.)

Edit: Why don't you work quotes? Too good for me?

Users who are viewing this thread