What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LGBT, LGBTQ, LGBT+ Thread (2 Viewers)

You mean as opposed to say some 7th grade educated, J.C. Penny suit wearing Evangelist who takes pensioners for their money on radio bible hours and who insists that all anyone needs to know is right there is the good book, which, btw, he has probably not read cover to cover.
Pretty hateful post. I figured an LGBTQ thread would be a place of tolerance.

Times....wait for it...change.
The phrase of choice for hypocritical politicians and their supporters.

It must burn people up that Trump is the first president to be openly pro-LGBTQ from day 1. 

I wonder which burns them up more, that or the fact that Obama kept kids in cages.

Or were times different back in 2014?

Last edited by a moderator:
The phrase of choice for hypocritical politicians. 

It must burn people up that Trump is the first president to be openly pro-LGBTQ from day 1. 

I wonder which burns them up more, that or the fact that Obama kept kids in cages.

Not all because there is no truth to that statement.. Particulary since of one of his first actions was asking for a transgender ban in the miliatary (see Tim's thread on the subject). And it has been no better since then, if you go some pages back there is a complete list of the hostility or lack of support the Trump Administration has shown LGBT people since day 1.

The phrase of choice for hypocritical politicians and their supporters.

OH OK

Boy, 9, commits suicide after classmates bully him for being gay

Such a sad story all around.

Nine year olds have no idea what sex is, much less have a sexual preference.

Really makes you wonder what role his mother played in everything. 
Just to be clear, you (1) don't remember having crushes on girls (or boys) when you were in elementary school; and (2) because of this gap in your memory, are publicly blaming the suicide of a young boy on the mother who just lost her son?

:angry:

The Trump admin has begun denying visas to same-sex domestic partners of foreign diplomats and United Nations employees, and requiring those already in the U.S. to get married by the end of the year or leave the country, Foreign Policy reports.

And the new policy insists they be married, even if they are from countries that criminalize gay marriage.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/10/01/trump-administration-to-deny-visas-to-same-sex-partners-of-diplomats-un-officials-gay-lgbt/
I guess being #######s for no good reason is formal policy now?

During an active shooter drill at Stafford County Middle School, a transgender student was barred from entering the shelter areas, instead being told to sit in the locker room hallway.

https://www.metroweekly.com/2018/10/trans-student-barred-from-shelter-during-virginia-schools-mass-shooter-drill/
I guess its a good thing these administrators were not in charge of a life boat drill in shark infested waters.  They would have given this student a personal floatation device and told the student to swim near, but not too near, the life boats.

This story is appalling. The teachers isolated her while debating where she should go during the drill and treated her as a some sort of danger to the other students instead of being concerned with her safety (if this had been a real emergency).
If these teachers were armed with firearms, as some have advocated, they would have made sure to cover this student, from a safe distance, of course. 

Even if so, no social liberal would have that reaction.  No area is 100% one or the other.
In 2016, Trump and Gillespie carried Stafford (both lost the state), and only one of the members of its board of supervisors is a Democrat.  Out of seven.

Even if so, no social liberal would have that reaction.  No area is 100% one or the other.
In 2016, Trump and Gillespie carried Stafford (both lost the state), and only one of the members of its board of supervisors is a Democrat.  Out of seven.
Sorry I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was just saying who cares what a high percentage of a populace might be.  That doesn't mean the other side does not have people living in the district.  And as far as teachers go, they don't even have ti live in the district to work there.

Sorry I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was just saying who cares what a high percentage of a populace might be.  That doesn't mean the other side does not have people living in the district.  And as far as teachers go, they don't even have ti live in the district to work there.
Sure.  I'm just saying one argument was advanced to try to obfuscate the discussion and it was false.

During an active shooter drill at Stafford County Middle School, a transgender student was barred from entering the shelter areas, instead being told to sit in the locker room hallway.

https://www.metroweekly.com/2018/10/trans-student-barred-from-shelter-during-virginia-schools-mass-shooter-drill/
There has to be more to this story, right? I mean, (as told) it doesn't make a lick of sense. My understanding (in an active shooter situation) is the school most likely goes on lockdown and everyone proceeds to the nearest designated shelter area or shelters in place. If they deviated from that for some reason, why would she not have just gone with the other girls? Assuming she uses the girls restroom and locker room each school day without incident, I am finding it difficult to believe we're not missing part of the story when we're told they singled her out and left her isolated for the duration of this drill because they didn't know what else to do with her simply because she's transgender.

There has to be more to this story, right? I mean, (as told) it doesn't make a lick of sense. My understanding (in an active shooter situation) is the school most likely goes on lockdown and everyone proceeds to the nearest designated shelter area or shelters in place. If they deviated from that for some reason, why would she not have just gone with the other girls? Assuming she uses the girls restroom and locker room each school day without incident, I am finding it difficult to believe we're not missing part of the story when we're told they singled her out and left her isolated for the duration of this drill because they didn't know what else to do with her simply because she's transgender.
I would imagine that, as most conservatives want, she uses a private bathroom so as not to be in the girls’ locker room or bathroom. 

I don't know if it was in the link HF provided, however the teachers hadn't decided before the drill where she would go and set her aside, by herself, in some bleachers (or some outside location) while they debated the issue of where her location should be if there actually was an active shooter. They apparently perceived that the threat to the other students of her being with the wrong (in their minds) gender group was a greater threat than her being the victim of an active shooter.

I would imagine that, as most conservatives want, she uses a private bathroom so as not to be in the girls’ locker room or bathroom
OK. If that is true, that's the part that was missing. Or, I guess more accurately stated, I was missing it. I read the story as she normally has no issues at school but on this occasion they singled her out because she's trans. That didn't make much sense to me but that's likely because I hadn't considered she probably never goes in either the boys (by choice) or girls (by rule) rooms.

OK. If that is true, that's the part that was missing. Or, I guess more accurately stated, I was missing it. I read the story as she normally has no issues at school but on this occasion they singled her out because she's trans. That didn't make much sense to me but that's likely because I hadn't considered she probably never goes in either the boys (by choice) or girls (by rule) rooms.
Given the prevalence of sexual and other assault among transgender women and girls I wouldn’t imagine the school let’s her use the boys room either. 

at least I wouldn’t recommend it. 

ACLU‏ @ACLU 1h1 hour ago

BREAKING: Wisconsin denied two state employees health insurance coverage because they are transgender. Yesterday, a jury awarded our clients $780,000. Discrimination comes with a cost, and for the state of Wisconsin the bill has come.

Interesting stories here, maybe already covered. I haven't been around much lately. 

U.S. denies VISAs to same sex partners of foreign diplomats

That strikes me as incredibly petty and not the way a modern Western democracy should operate with their allies.

U.S. votes against US resolution to condemn the use of the death penalty for gay sex

The US was one of 13 counties to vote against it. The others were Botswana, Burundi, Egypt, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, China, India, Iraq, Japan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the US and the United Arab Emirates. I see a lot of majority Muslim majority counties there. I guess the right found something to bond over Muslims with. Maybe this can bury the hatchet. 

Gross. If Jesus was right though, the staff that made that decision can still save themselves from hell by asking for forgiveness and changing their ways. 
Don't have anything to add, but just wanted to say I am glad to see you back in the politics forum, even if it is only now and then!

Don't have anything to add, but just wanted to say I am glad to see you back in the politics forum, even if it is only now and then!
I'll continue to pop in here and there but it's tough to not get incredibly angry/sad/disgusted/puzzled when I look at anything political right now. 
I get it and I remember reading that from you a bit ago, so just wanted to let you know your voice is appreciated when you stop by.

U.S. votes against US resolution to condemn the use of the death penalty for gay sex

The US was one of 13 counties to vote against it. The others were Botswana, Burundi, Egypt, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, China, India, Iraq, Japan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the US and the United Arab Emirates. I see a lot of majority Muslim majority counties there. I guess the right found something to bond over Muslims with. Maybe this can bury the hatchet. 
Appalling. Hell Toupee and friends told us repeatedly in this thread, Tim's Transgender in the Military thread and any thread involving Trump and LGBT people, that Trump would be The best POTUS LGBT people have ever had!!!

The Trump Administration has given the thumbs up to countries executing gay people for being gay. How could anyone claim this Administration is anything but hostile to the rights of LGBT folks?

Interesting stories here, maybe already covered. I haven't been around much lately. 

U.S. denies VISAs to same sex partners of foreign diplomats

That strikes me as incredibly petty and not the way a modern Western democracy should operate with their allies.

I would imagine a big part of our opposition was this:

It attacked the use of execution against persons with “mental or intellectual disabilities, persons below 18 years of age at the time of the commission of the crime, and pregnant women”.

Texas can’t have that called a human rights violation. 

I would imagine a big part of our opposition was this:

It attacked the use of execution against persons with “mental or intellectual disabilities, persons below 18 years of age at the time of the commission of the crime, and pregnant women”.

Texas can’t have that called a human rights violation. 
Oh cool, that makes sense. I totally support it now. 

Being anti-death penalty I would have fully supported the US voting yes on this resolution; but to paint this as an attack on LGBTQ is to totally misrepresent what the no vote meant.  One paragraph in a four page resolution mentioned death penalty being applied for LGBTQ - the intent of the resolution was condemnation of the death penalty in general.  No way the US would vote yes to that when death penalty is a sentencing option at the federal and many state levels.  But how convenient that because that one paragraph exists, that suddenly this vote is an attack on LGBTQ citizens.  Fits the narrative I suppose, but disingenuous at best.

Being anti-death penalty I would have fully supported the US voting yes on this resolution; but to paint this as an attack on LGBTQ is to totally misrepresent what the no vote meant.  One paragraph in a four page resolution mentioned death penalty being applied for LGBTQ - the intent of the resolution was condemnation of the death penalty in general.  No way the US would vote yes to that when death penalty is a sentencing option at the federal and many state levels.  But how convenient that because that one paragraph exists, that suddenly this vote is an attack on LGBTQ citizens.  Fits the narrative I suppose, but disingenuous at best.
Sorry. no. A slap in the face of all LGBT people in this country, letting them know where exactly Trump and his Administration stand on LGBT rights.

To be fair, this resolution was about 95% about disparate impact and discriminatory use of the death penalty. LGBTQ rights weren’t the only part of it, but it wasn’t a general condemnation of the death penalty.  It does acknowledge that many states have ended the practice and the reasons for that, but it’s not just an “abolish the death penalty” resolution. 

Sorry. no. A slap in the face of all LGBT people in this country, letting them know where exactly Trump and his Administration stand on LGBT rights.
You could paint that narrative that way.  So lets say there was a UN resolution that condemned the killing of children - and within that resolution one of the paragraphs extended the definition of children to include the preborn from moment of conception and the definition of killing to include abortion.  Would you expect the US to vote yes to that resolution despite that one paragraph infringing on the rights of the women to have a choice in their reproductive rights?  I realize this is an absurd example but it is the best I could come up with.

Does it matter?
No. 

But I was just trying to see if I could figure out a rationale - why this is important to the administration. Its rare to see a policy based on nothing more than, "We don't like these people and want to make their lives worse."  But I guess that's where we are.

Users who are viewing this thread