What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Live Draft Gone Bad (3 Viewers)

Out of curiosity, how bad is this team? Can you list the roster and starting requirements?
I don’t know the exact roster as I can’t get on the website. The team isn’t horrible but the issue is at RB. We kept Hopkins and OBJ. I remember Mahomes and Wilson at QB. The only RB in the first 15 picks was Gordon. Also got Evans, Ebron, Coutee Funchess, Hooper, Zeurlein, Bears. Have to start two RB and only have one (assuming Gordon shows up). I believe the draft picked the RBs over and there really isn’t much left to choose from. 

To flesh things out a little more, part of the issue lies with the website, which is the NFL.com site. You have to be invited to the league. Then you have to be invited into the draft. The site didn’t want to let us do either. 

We tried to have both of us in the draft but apparently only one team rep can be in the draft. The other (alleged) issue is the commish says the NFL site makes it exceedingly difficult to stop and start the draft and/or make replacement picks. Again, I don’t use the NFL site and don’t like anything about it, so I can believe it is difficult to navigate. Which is why rescheduling the draft or going to a slow draft would have made way more sense. 
What do you mean by that?

What do you mean by that?
I am a co owner with my son. Apparently only on person can be in the draft room representing a team. So the commish was trying to get both of us the one of us into the draft and the system wouldn’t let either one of us into the draft room. Ultimately we had neither one of us on the draft site, the commish couldn’t resolve the site access issue, tech support takes like two days to look into an issue, so he basically said there was no work around and started the draft. Commish either didn’t know how to stop and start draft or replace picks or was unwilling to do so. So we kept trying to get logged on without success. Commish basically said he was busy drafting and was no longer willing to try to fix the problem mid draft. We tried for over two hours (plus the original four hours) and then gave up).

12-team leaue...how many owners does it take to veto a trade?

If it’s more than 6, line up 5 other owners, ideally including one from each division.  Let them “draft” your players for decreasing cuts of your entry fee, then deal their drafted players to them via trade.  They can all decline to veto the rest of the draft, and can then play essentially in a 5-team league with an 11-team prize pool.

Watch the commish try to stop this.

LOL. Mercy in a money league? People have already voiced their opinions. They didn’t do anything to cause the problem. Their opinion is why should they have to do anything? Not their fault, not their problem. 
Yeah, your problem is definitely the $4200 at stake. Everyone but your son has already spent their winnings. I say suck it up, do your best to add/drop to get a serviceable roster and wait till the injuries start piling up and make some trades. It won't be the best $350 you've ever spent, but you don't really have a better option. And don't quit. If you quit the bastards really win. 

12-team leaue...how many owners does it take to veto a trade?

If it’s more than 6, line up 5 other owners, ideally including one from each division.  Let them “draft” your players for decreasing cuts of your entry fee, then deal their drafted players to them via trade.  They can all decline to veto the rest of the draft, and can then play essentially in a 5-team league with an 11-team prize pool.

Watch the commish try to stop this.
You are missing that it’s 11-1. We aren’t getting any votes in a trade vote. No one is upset over this except us. 

The outcome of this will be that they pi$$ me of to the point that I actually get back in fantasy football and try to actually manage to win. 

LOL. Mercy in a money league? People have already voiced their opinions. They didn’t do anything to cause the problem. Their opinion is why should they have to do anything? Not their fault, not their problem. 
Have you considered going with the tried & true old school FF solution? 

yes, I’m saying you should consider going to the commish’s house, & punching him in the face in front of his wife & kids. 

(Some of you may understand this reference from a decade ago - it’s a joke) 

kidding aside, that league needs a new commish at the very least, because this is 1000% his fault. 

I’ve found that the higher the stakes, the greater the emphasis on “fairness” is. 

In a $350 league I would expect that the draft would be paused until all 12 were in.

a unilateral commish decision to set your team to “autodraft” should mean refunding your $.

thats a horrific situation, poorly handled. 
you sound like a good commish vrs the BAD one that handled his draft.

agree with everything you have said.

you sound like a good commish vrs the BAD one that handled his draft.

agree with everything you have said.
Thanks.

Years ago, we had to do an online draft. In one of my leagues (I was co-commish in that one) and one guy kept dropping connection. 

I would notice time run out, and either a “next on the list” pick, or something out of character (K or D much earlier). 

Then id see manager’s status blink from online to offline & “so-and-so has left the room, so-and-so has entered the room”

long story short, I had to pause that draft & back out picks about a dozen times. 

But the draft was done correctly. And despite a few league members giving us grief for it, they all got it, and they all also wanted it to be fair for everyone. 

While not a high stakes league, $100 is still real money. No one wants to get hosed. 

It helped to keep people informed of what I was doing I when, every time I had to pause it or take action. 

I’m just sayin - it’s not that hard to do. This commish failed miserably.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know the exact roster as I can’t get on the website. The team isn’t horrible but the issue is at RB. We kept Hopkins and OBJ. I remember Mahomes and Wilson at QB. The only RB in the first 15 picks was Gordon. Also got Evans, Ebron, Coutee Funchess, Hooper, Zeurlein, Bears. Have to start two RB and only have one (assuming Gordon shows up). I believe the draft picked the RBs over and there really isn’t much left to choose from. 

The outcome of this will be that they pi$$ me of to the point that I actually get back in fantasy football and try to actually manage to win. 

The commish was completely wrong to set your team to auto-pilot.  Having said that, I would just suck it up and try to win the league anyway.  You are set at QB, WR and PK.  TE is OK.  CHI is fine.  It's just an extreme zero RB strategy and we all know sleeper RBs come out of nowhere during the season - its the best position to have a deficit to start the season.

Commish fail, it's not that hard to stop the draft or edit picks. They were all just tired and cranky because of the 4 hours of delays and didn't care to deal with it. He should have had you guys on the phone for your picks, would have been easy. If a low stakes or free league, sure they did their best. That much money on the line they should have made much more effort.

If your son wants to stay friends with these guys and stay in the league I would probably just suck it up as you have two great keepers. Maybe try to package OBJ plus Mahomes into a Barkley keeper or something like that to better your team going forward. If your son doesn't care, I'd go scorched earth and do what some of the others said, tank games, trade guys for peanuts, sabotage as much as possible. If you want to be more coy, maybe try to contact an owner that may pay your entry fee back and make a few lopsided trades to them and quit the league at the end of the year.

This is a messed up situation with a commish behaving badly and the owners who benefited going along.

It's your son's group of friends/co-workers, tell him it is his mess to sort out (since he needs to have the relationships with his people at work) and walk away. You don't need this kind of aggravation in your life.

Now your son knows what kind of people he's dealing with. Cost him $350 to realize where their integrity levels are.

How important is it not to tick off everyone in the league?

Because I don't blame the other owners for not wanting to postpone the draft and can sympathize, but there is no excuse for not giving you your money back and letting you play for free (with no ability to win money).

If it doesn't matter if you burn bridges, I would napalm those bridges by filing a small claims lawsuit against the Commish. Seems like you were ready and willing to be a part of the league and through no fault of your own you were prevented from participating and having true ownership of your team and the Commish made little to no effort to assist and is unwilling to make you whole now. Seems like you'd have a great chance of winning and would be a huge thorn in their side.

$350 is not a joke buy in. I wouldn't tolerate getting screwed over in a league with that high of a buy in.

If you decide to go the route of screwing people over, actively manage the team for several weeks hopefully racking up a few wins along the way and then suddenly clear your roster of all good players, put scrubs in your lineup and walk away. The only thing that sucks more than a guy not managing his team or sabotaging from the beginning is someone who puts up a fight and gets some early wins and then gives everyone else free wins the rest of the year. That creates way more imbalance than one team being a free win for everyone all year.

This is such bs.  For that league fee all teams should be able to draft properly.  It wasn’t your fault, you were actively engaged.  

And, there is a month before the season starts.  

Ridic.  You got screwed.  

That's a good team.  Not having a good second running back isn't a big deal.  Try to trade one of your receivers for a running back.

Dude I am so sorry. Just a HORRIBLE move by the commish. I get the other owners, they drafted teams and love what they ended up with, they feel they paid and all is well. But the commish has NO excuse. I ran 17 leagues for almost 2 decades and I would have NEVER just put an owner on autodraft and not called him on the phone or made picks for him or something. Especially a $350 league. I hope Karma shows up big time and you somehow win this league. 

You can win some games with that. Work the wire. 

What website is this btw?

If you decide to go the route of screwing people over, actively manage the team for several weeks hopefully racking up a few wins along the way and then suddenly clear your roster of all good players, put scrubs in your lineup and walk away. The only thing that sucks more than a guy not managing his team or sabotaging from the beginning is someone who puts up a fight and gets some early wins and then gives everyone else free wins the rest of the year. That creates way more imbalance than one team being a free win for everyone all year.
If we're doing revenge fantasies then the real revenge you want is against the commissioner, not the other guys.  Every week, make a trade that helps his opponent.  Not illegal trades. Trade a great guys with a good matchups for a couple good guys with bad matchups, or who are on bye. Just enough to make it harder for him. If he's close to a playoff spot at the end of the year, don't just help the guys he's playing, help the guys he's competing with for the last spot.  

Or....

Accept these terrible trade offers you're getting.  All of the worst ones.  Just click accept and let them veto, then ask how you're supposed to play if you weren't allowed to draft, didn't auto draft a complete lineup, aren't getting fair offers and aren't allowed to accept any of the offers you actually do gst.  Remind him that he's a cheater and a thief and make people publicly recognize why.  

Or...

Use this as an opportunity to bond with your kid. Accept that you got screwed and his friends are #######s but that you can still try to have fun with it and if you even come close to winning with that garbage roster it will be an even better experience for both of you.  

That happened to me before. I was allowed to drop and pickup any free agents I wanted before the start of waivers. Was only a $10 league, but I still like to win. I ended up at 3rd or 4th.  

If we're doing revenge fantasies then the real revenge you want is against the commissioner, not the other guys.  Every week, make a trade that helps his opponent.  Not illegal trades. Trade a great guys with a good matchups for a couple good guys with bad matchups, or who are on bye. Just enough to make it harder for him. If he's close to a playoff spot at the end of the year, don't just help the guys he's playing, help the guys he's competing with for the last spot.  
This.  Plus "forgetting" to set your lineup in late season games where you play the commish's division rivals.

My son only got screen caps of our team because we haven’t been able to get on the league site. I doubt this is the entire roster but the players I can make out are:

Patrick Mahomes

Russell Wilson

Melvin Gordon

Darrell Henderson

Malcolm Brown

DeAndre Hopkins

OBJ

Mike Evans

Devin Funchess

Keke Coutee

Mecole Hardman

Eric Ebron

Austin Hooper

Greg Zeurlein

Bears DEF

Remember, we started with Hopkins and OBJ.

My son only got screen caps of our team because we haven’t been able to get on the league site. I doubt this is the entire roster but the players I can make out are:

Patrick Mahones

Russell Wilson

Melvin Gordon

Darrell Henderson

Malcolm Brown

DeAndre Hopkins

OBJ

Mike Evans

Devin Funchess

Keke Coutee

Mecole Hardman

Eric Ebron

Austin Hooper

Greg Zeurlein

Bears DEF

Dude, you can easily work with that - you did get screwed though.  What are the starting requirements?

Two player keeper money league. Already paid. Had a live draft but there were technical issues with draft site. Ended up not being able to get into draft. Commish didn’t know what to do so set team for auto draft. 

Of course, system picked players with issues and no logic to what was on the team. Two keepers were WR in a start 2 WR league. System picked 7 receivers. Also picked 3 QB early. Only RB drafted was Gordon. Drafted both the first Def and first PK. 

Commish says not his fault access to draft site didn’t work. Other owners love their teams and say they didn’t do anything wrong either. Commish says man up or try to sell team to someone else. Told 100% there will not be another draft. Too hard to find a time for everyone to be available in the first place. 

I said a drive by may be in order. Rest of league not sure why there is an issue. Options?
I'm still amazed that, in 2019, most fantasy sites still have this problem with logic when it comes to auto-draft.

Patrick Mahomes

Russell Wilson

Melvin Gordon

Darrell Henderson

Malcolm Brown

DeAndre Hopkins

OBJ

Mike Evans

Devin Funchess

Keke Coutee

Mecole Hardman

Eric Ebron

Austin Hooper

Greg Zeurlein

Bears DEF

Start 1QB?  If so, package Wilson and a WR for the best RB you can find and go stomp their asses.  And pray that Gurley gets lots of rest.  Hawk the wire for RBs, maybe threaten murder for the top waiver priority for the first week. 

You did get screwed, and I would give the commish absolute hell all year long, but you’ve got a competitive team. 

If no one stood up and said, "Hey, this is wrong," knowing there were connectivity problems, they're all on the revenge list imo. This wasn't a free yahoo league, that's BS what they're allowing. Integrity is standing up and speaking out when there's an injustice--even when you're the beneficiary of said injustice.

Especially then.

Patrick Mahomes

Russell Wilson

Melvin Gordon

Darrell Henderson

Malcolm Brown

DeAndre Hopkins

OBJ

Mike Evans

Devin Funchess

Keke Coutee

Mecole Hardman

Eric Ebron

Austin Hooper

Greg Zeurlein

Bears DEF

There’s plenty of trade bait there. Wilson & some WRs should get you RBs and balance out the team. 

If no one stood up and said, "Hey, this is wrong," knowing there were connectivity problems, they're all on the revenge list imo. This wasn't a free yahoo league, that's BS what they're allowing. Integrity is standing up and speaking out when there's an injustice--even when you're the beneficiary of said injustice.

Especially then.
Friggin kill bill over here with a revenge list. :doh:  

Oh #### that. I'd drive to his ### #### house and demand my money for this bull####. No way in hell am I dropping $350 just to be told tough after only a few minutes of trying to log in and not being able to text or email picks. 

Your starters (with current FBG ADP)...

QB - Patrick Mahomes - 2.8

RB - Melvin Gordon - 2.10

RB - Darrell Henderson - 9.4

WR - DeAndre Hopkins - 1.5

WR - Odell Beckham - 1.12

TE - Eric Ebron - 7.1

K - Greg Zuerlein - 10.6

C - Chicago Bears - 8.5

and if you use a flex

Flex - Mike Evans - 2.9

Your bench

QB - Russell Wilson - 8.9

RB - Malcolm Brown - way late

WR - Keke Coutee - 10.12

WR - Devin Funchess - 14.2

WR - Mecole Hardman - way late

TE - Austin Hooper - 10.1
First off, simply looking at your team, I guarantee there are worse teams in your league.  Sure, they may be more balanced, but their studs aren't gonna be that studly.  Moving on, you have the best QB in the league, and a top-10 backup, so at least 1 team is starting crap.  I can't imagine a team having a trio of WR's better than yours, so again, best in your league.  You have 2 top-12 TE's, so at least 1 team is having to start crap.  Yes, I know it's taboo to draft a D or K early, but you have the best in the league.

Your are very solid at TE, and you have the best in the league at QB/WR/K/D.  You only need to work on RB.  If Melvin signs soon, you have a stud RB.  And if Gurley wears down fast, you have the Henderson/Brown combo.  Once you are able to get onto the site, please post the rest of your team, and let us know what's on the wire at RB.

That sucks David. Sorry to hear this happened.

Looking at the roster though, I think you have a decent shot to see some return on your investment with a little work of the waiver wire and perhaps if you can find a trade partner.

If that doesn't appeal to you then I would suggest the Brown, Johnson and Butt strategy which has enough quality players to also be viable.

Just consider this a Hawks draft. This is usually how Otis assembles a team as well.

Patrick Mahomes

Russell Wilson

Melvin Gordon

Darrell Henderson

Malcolm Brown

DeAndre Hopkins

OBJ

Mike Evans

Devin Funchess

Keke Coutee

Mecole Hardman

Eric Ebron

Austin Hooper

Greg Zeurlein

Bears DEF

You obviously got screwed and the team would have been much better should you had been allowed to draft but if Gordon does come back (I have doubts) this team is not terrible.

All of these “revenge” scenarios are fun and all - but given that the commissioner has already show to be a scoundrel he’ll likely lock you guys out if you start doing stuff like that.

Make a few fair trades - although some are trying to take advantage now, some owners will come around and take Mike Evans for Nick Chubb eventually over the next two weeks.

I don’t see a lot of other realistic options then to play it out and show the other teams up.

You obviously got screwed and the team would have been much better should you had been allowed to draft but if Gordon does come back (I have doubts) this team is not terrible.

All of these “revenge” scenarios are fun and all - but given that the commissioner has already show to be a scoundrel he’ll likely lock you guys out if you start doing stuff like that.

Make a few fair trades - although some are trying to take advantage now, some owners will come around and take Mike Evans for Nick Chubb eventually over the next two weeks.

I don’t see a lot of other realistic options then to play it out and show the other teams up.
:goodposting:  

If you do any of these revenge scenarios you are lighting the 350 on fire.  Winning this league would be the best revenge.

Sell shares of the team to FBG at 1, 5, 10 percent or whatever to defray the cost and go win this thing.

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Yeah it's August 11th, not Sept 4th. The plug should've been pulled. Another date could've been found, I mean come on that's ridiculous. I would be really pissed especially for a $350 entry fee.
This.  What the heck is the rush?   If the draft site was screwed up he should have picked another time.   There is a month to go before the season starts. Worse yet though was putting you on autopick and not allowing you to email or phone your pick.  The Commish is an idiot.

That said I would stick with the team and try to win the league but if my season started going down the tubes I would definitely start screwing with the league by picking up a scrub and releasing a good player each week.

Two player keeper money league. Already paid. Had a live draft but there were technical issues with draft site. Ended up not being able to get into draft. Commish didn’t know what to do so set team for auto draft. 

Of course, system picked players with issues and no logic to what was on the team. Two keepers were WR in a start 2 WR league. System picked 7 receivers. Also picked 3 QB early. Only RB drafted was Gordon. Drafted both the first Def and first PK. 

Commish says not his fault access to draft site didn’t work. Other owners love their teams and say they didn’t do anything wrong either. Commish says man up or try to sell team to someone else. Told 100% there will not be another draft. Too hard to find a time for everyone to be available in the first place. 

I said a drive by may be in order. Rest of league not sure why there is an issue. Options?
I’m sorry this happened to you. Seems unjust and it’s a tough pill to swallow given the size of the entry fee.

I’m not trying to stir the pot or be contrarian, but given the information “Too hard to find a time for everyone to be available in the first place”, I might have done the same thing as Commish. But that’s easy for me to say; my 25 year league knows the draft will always be 11am EST on the fourth Sunday in August. Plan accordingly.

Not much you can do at this point except take the high road. Probably no chance you’ll break even, but man it would be über satisfying to claw your way into the playoffs after a miserable draft. Definitely gonna be a challenge.

GLWS

Users who are viewing this thread