What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Living Forever (1 Viewer)

Would you want to live forever?

• Yes, death sucks

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • Nope, I'm fine with the current life/death cycle

Votes: 48 29.1%
  • Yes, but only if I can live in the body of a fit 20 year old

Votes: 78 47.3%

• Total voters
As an agnostic, I'm terrified of death because, to me, it's nothingness. I'm terrified that what I enjoy now will eventually just stop...not stop and I'll be aware of it, but just stop. End. Nothing. If I think about it, it can literally make me sick.

I'll take more life any way I can get it.
Dittto. I don't understand at all those who have no problem with their ultimate demise...unless they think there's an afterlife coming...which is delusional.
If it all ends and your consciousness ceases to exist, then who cares? Certainly not you. Nothing you can do to prevent it, so fearing it is pointless.
You can choose one of the options in the poll and live forever either as skeletor or a frat boy.

As an agnostic, I'm terrified of death because, to me, it's nothingness. I'm terrified that what I enjoy now will eventually just stop...not stop and I'll be aware of it, but just stop. End. Nothing. If I think about it, it can literally make me sick.

Dittto. I don't understand at all those who have no problem with their ultimate demise...unless they think there's an afterlife coming...which is delusional.
If it all ends and your consciousness ceases to exist, then who cares? Certainly not you. Nothing you can do to prevent it, so fearing it is pointless.
I care now.

Well as I might be dying sooner than I thought, this poll leaves me wanting for a fourth option.

I would like to live as long as I wanted.

Man of Zen said:
World's a #### hole with 7 billion people. Can you imagine if we just kept adding to that? Death is the only thing that keeps life from being hell.
Best post I have seen on here in a long time.

As long as I can have sex the entire time I'm good. I'm pretty sure my wife is looking forward to death so she no longer has the memory of sex with me.

Man of Zen said:
World's a #### hole with 7 billion people. Can you imagine if we just kept adding to that? Death is the only thing that keeps life from being hell.
There are still people without clean water and voting rights, they won't be able to live forever. Once the wealthy immortals realize that the mortals were wasting so many of our resources with their short insignificant lives, the impending war and genocide will solve any population problems.

Man of Zen said:
There are still people without clean water and voting rights, they won't be able to live forever. Once the wealthy immortals realize that the mortals were wasting so many of our resources with their short insignificant lives, the impending war and genocide will solve any population problems.
Schtick or serious?

You should read Abundance imo

Slapdash said:
McGarnicle said:
Jim11 said:
Fat Nick said:

I care now.
Exactly. I'm sure I won't care when I'm dead. If I somehow DID care when I was dead, I wouldn't be as scared of death, because...well, caring is something. It's the fear NOW of the nothingness THEN that gets me. Terrifies me.

Man of Zen said:
Schtick or serious?

You should read Abundance imo
Both. I'll check it out.

no way forever.... forget that.

If anything I'd like to negotiate a shorter term in a better body.

Like instead of living say 80 years but aging.. I'd be happy to sign up for 30 years of being somewhere between 24 and 28 and then dying peacefully in my sleep.

How do you have a retirement plan for "forever"... i'd have to keep working and working.. and working.

The only thing keeping me going sometimes is knowing that at some point I shouldn't have to work anymore

Like instead of living say 80 years but aging.. I'd be happy to sign up for 30 years of being somewhere between 24 and 28 and then dying peacefully in my sleep.

How do you have a retirement plan for "forever"... i'd have to keep working and working.. and working.

The only thing keeping me going sometimes is knowing that at some point I shouldn't have to work anymore
Work 30 years, "retire" for 20. Rinse, repeat.

Work 30 years, "retire" for 20. Rinse, repeat.
Seriously, if you could live forever (or at least substantially longer) based on the principles De Grey espouses, there would be a totally different concept of retirement.

Ilov80s said:
Henry Ford said:
I said yes with the 20-year-old clause, but I really would prefer around 30.
The girls will be in much better shape at 20 than 30, don't be selfish and just think of yourself.
To hell with that. 30 year old women are hot as hell.

And men's chances of getting laid go up exponentially between 20 and 30, because they start to look like men instead of boys. I'm thinking of all of us, buddy.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2013/07/24/you-can-live-forever-is-immortality-plausible-or-is-it-quack-science.html

I was happy to see an article on this in a place as mainstream as Newsweek. I've been aware of de Grey and his research for a couple of years now and I'm definitely rooting for him. I do think, eventually, what he wants to do is possible. I hope that happens in my lifetime but I'm not convinced it will. I'm 36.

Enjoy.
interesting article. thanks for posting.

Some definitely are.

But for the VAST majority of women the peak is between 19 and 25.

There are VERY few women that look better when they are 30 than they did when they were 23

Some definitely are.

There are VERY few women that look better when they are 30 than they did when they were 23
And there are very few of us men who look better to women of any age at 20 than at 30.
Your attractiveness would go up substantially in the eyes of the 20 year old if you had 100 years of making bank though.

Some definitely are.

And there are very few of us men who look better to women of any age at 20 than at 30.
Your attractiveness would go up substantially in the eyes of the 20 year old if you had 100 years of making bank though.
Touché

Slapdash said:
McGarnicle said:
Jim11 said:
Fat Nick said:

I care now.
Exactly. I'm sure I won't care when I'm dead. If I somehow DID care when I was dead, I wouldn't be as scared of death, because...well, caring is something. It's the fear NOW of the nothingness THEN that gets me. Terrifies me.
You serious Clark? Why would you let something like that terrify you? If you believe there will be "nothingness", why worry? :shrug:

Some definitely are.

Trivial. You think you see social segregation now? Wait till you see the caste system that develops around people who have been collecting compound interest for thousands of years. Every young hottie will be with a dinosaur, just to get her hands on his quintillions.

Slapdash said:
McGarnicle said:
Jim11 said:
Fat Nick said:

I care now.
You serious Clark? Why would you let something like that terrify you? If you believe there will be "nothingness", why worry? :shrug:
Having an end to one's existance isn't a very pleasant thought. It is so unpleasant most people choose to believe in superstitions rather than facing it.

Religious belief would greatly impact a persons answer to this. Many theistic religions, for example, teach that the afterlife is perfection forever (as long as you make the grade I suppose).
That solves the supposed overpopulation issue for enough time for everyone else to develop a plan. Also, it would interesting to see how many religious people put their money where their mouth is when they are actually dying.
:goodposting:

Religious belief would greatly impact a persons answer to this. Many theistic religions, for example, teach that the afterlife is perfection forever (as long as you make the grade I suppose).
That solves the supposed overpopulation issue for enough time for everyone else to develop a plan. Also, it would interesting to see how many religious people put their money where their mouth is when they are actually dying.
I can only speak from experience with Evangelical Christians, but the older folks Ive known that have passed away were genuinely peaceful and excited about the prospect of heaven. Sorry to get to religious here. Not trying to make an argument for or against. Just that personal belief in or not in an afterlife will make a difference.

Fat Nick said:

i doubt you'll feel that way when you're old and decrepit

Some definitely are.

you're joking, right?

20 y.o.'s are just falling into ######s in college.. it's a fantastic opportunity.

The pinnacle of my ###### scoring career was between 21 and 27 when i had fairly low amounts of money and maturity.

At 35 I have 100X more money, wisdom, know-how, charm, a boat, a convertible... and my stock hasn't been this low to women since I was 12.

Granted, i was in better shape at 27.. but by no means i am an unattractive slob.

Some definitely are.

you're joking, right?

20 y.o.'s are just falling into ######s in college.. it's a fantastic opportunity.

The pinnacle of my ###### scoring career was between 21 and 27 when i had fairly low amounts of money and maturity.

At 35 I have 100X more money, wisdom, know-how, charm, a boat, a convertible... and my stock hasn't been this low to women since I was 12.

Granted, i was in better shape at 27.. but by no means i am an unattractive slob.
You should have stayed single.

Some definitely are.

you're joking, right?

no way... all the effort to try to pick up divorcee's and chicks with kids?

Forget it.. i'm a has-been.

I thought desperate chicks hit on married dudes and stuff.... I haven't been so much as the recipient of a flirt in 7 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fat Nick said:

Lust for immortality is a young man's game. I've never known anyone over 70 who wanted to live to 100, much less forever.

Some definitely are.

you're joking, right?

When I was 30 and married, there were women who were way out of my league throwing themselves at me. You may just be hanging out with too many morally righteous women.

Fat Nick said:

Lust for immortality is a young man's game. I've never known anyone over 70 who wanted to live to 100, much less forever.
Yes, but if you're in the body of a 20 year old, you'll feel different.

If you're 70 and decrepit, sure, maybe the promise of an afterlife or even nothingness is preferable to the pain of continuing to exist. But if I'm pain free and young and wild and free, I'm in no rush to die IMO

Fat Nick said:

This could be....I'm in my mid-30's right now, and the thought that I'm at or approaching the mid-way point of life is scary. Given my current mindset, I love my life and would want to enjoy as much of it as possible. That may change..and frankly, if it does, I will feel a lot better about it, because I'm honestly worried about enjoying my "golden years" in light of the impending nothign.

Ilov80s said:
Henry Ford said:
The girls will be in much better shape at 20 than 30, don't be selfish and just think of yourself.

And men's chances of getting laid go up exponentially between 20 and 30, because they start to look like men instead of boys. I'm thinking of all of us, buddy.
:grad:

Henry Ford said:
Ilov80s said:
Henry Ford said:
To hell with that. 30 year old women are hot as hell. And men's chances of getting laid go up exponentially between 20 and 30, because they start to look like men instead of boys. I'm thinking of all of us, buddy.
No way. 20 is a real easy age to get laid at. If you are a 20 year old guy, reasonably good looking, in shape and have any sense of style, the only person stopping you from getting laid all the time is yourself.

mr roboto said:
cstu said:
Ilov80s said:
mr roboto said:
I can only speak from experience with Evangelical Christians, but the older folks Ive known that have passed away were genuinely peaceful and excited about the prospect of heaven. Sorry to get to religious here. Not trying to make an argument for or against. Just that personal belief in or not in an afterlife will make a difference.
Older folks whose bodies have been breaking down for decades, sure, but how about relatively healthy under 60 year olds?

Henry Ford said:
Ilov80s said:
Henry Ford said:
To hell with that. 30 year old women are hot as hell. And men's chances of getting laid go up exponentially between 20 and 30, because they start to look like men instead of boys. I'm thinking of all of us, buddy.
No way. 20 is a real easy age to get laid at. If you are a 20 year old guy, reasonably good looking, in shape and have any sense of style, the only person stopping you from getting laid all the time is yourself.
Speak for yourself, pal.

Dentist said:
MikeIke said:
Dentist said:
Henry Ford said:
Dentist said:
Henry Ford said:
Some definitely are.

you're joking, right?

no way... all the effort to try to pick up divorcee's and chicks with kids?

Forget it.. i'm a has-been.

I thought desperate chicks hit on married dudes and stuff.... I haven't been so much as the recipient of a flirt in 7 years.
Not as common as you think.

Death is the ultimate peace. What are you guys worried about? I dont know if anything happens after death. If I died tonight I would be fine with it........... PEACE

Death is the ultimate peace. What are you guys worried about? I dont know if anything happens after death. If I died tonight I would be fine with it........... PEACE
This is the way I look at it. Do I want to be alive tomorrow? Next week? Next year? Sure. And I hope to outlive my parents so they don't have to lose a child. But if I was to have a massive heart attack and not wake up tomorrow it wouldn't terrify me.

This is the way I look at it. Do I want to be alive tomorrow? Next week? Next year? Sure. And I hope to outlive my parents so they don't have to lose a child. But if I was to have a massive heart attack and not wake up tomorrow it wouldn't terrify me.
:whoosh:

:whoosh:
:lmao:

Oh, it was awesome for a while. I was all jumping off buildings and ####, getting shot and electrocuted, eating glass, the whole extreme sports gambit... I did it all. Nothing could kill me! Then all my friends and family started dying. That really sucked for a while. I made new friends, but they died, too. After six or seven times through with that, I figured friends weren't really worth it. I lived like a ####### hermit. Pfft... how long did that last? Two, three thousand years? Four, tops. Yeah, I started talking to people again. Made new friends. They died, too, but I was over it by then.

Mankind did some really amazing #### over the next couple hundred million years. That was awesome to see too, at first. I went to all sorts of planets, watched them move stars and build dyson spheres, they even cured themselves of all known disease and started living longer. It was soooo nice to have some friends that didn't just die after a hundred years or so.

But then they started evolving. People were turning into pure energy left and right. I couldn't do awesome #### like that, stuck in my immortal body. So I made my way back to Earth to see how they were doing there, but it turned out to be long since abandoned. So I was stranded on this worthless rock I'd seen a million times over with nothing to do. Yeah, the planet had changed quite a bit since I'd last been there, but I still wasn't occupied for more than a million years or so. After that it was boring as hell. I remember once I just sat on the edge of a cliff and waited for whatever continent I was on to drift into another one. Jeez.

But it seemed to keep getting hotter. Now, my immortal ### can stand any temperature you could throw at it, but that doesn't mean I wasn't uncomfortable. ####, it was hotter than two rats ####### in a wool sock. Pretty soon, the oceans were boiling. Now that is a sight to see. I even went swimming in it. Real smart, you ####### genius. I lost track of time, and before I knew it, the oceans were ####### gone and I was sitting at the bottom. Everywhere I went trying to get back up, BAM! continental shelf. Took me a thousand years to find a way back up. The whole thing was desert by that time anyway.

Then there was this galaxy that was ####### huge in the sky. It got so big, it took up the whole damn sky. After a while, you couldn't tell its stars from the normal ones. Then all the stars, new and old, started moving around in all these weird patterns. It was some show, let me tell you. Most interesting thing I'd seen in a while. But just as it was getting good, the ####### sun exploded.

Now, the sun exploding itself was an even cooler sight than all those extra stars. It got really damn big. Hotter than hell, but worth it. And then BANG! ####er started exploding. It kept going off for probably a billion years. It was awesome at first, but, ####... give it enough time and anything is boring. By the time it was done it was like night all the time and the sun wasn't all that much brighter than the other stars in the sky. Not to mention that it was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey now.

So I waited. And waited. I memorized the stars and came up with names for all of them. And I waited. It was so ####### cold, I didn't move around that much. I couldn't even tell you how long it was, cause it was too damn cold to think. ####, how I waited.

But then the damnedest thing happened. There was this huge, deafening roar. The sky was on fire. It started getting hot again. The wind got stronger and stronger until I was flying. Then came the loudest ####### sound I've ever heard in my life, and I found myself flying up and away from the Earth itself. When I finally got far enough away, I figured it out. Must have been an asteroid or something. Big ####er, though, there was a sizeable chunk of planet missing; a lot of it was still glowing red hot.

Now let me tell you, I thought it was cold on solid ground with no sun, but that was nothing. Empty space is ####### cold. That and not being able to breath... damn, that was an unpleasant time. I drifted away from what was left of the solar system. After I while I could see the giant cloud of #### left over from when the sun exploded. But then I just kept going. Man, it was a long time. Trillions of years, probably.

I landed on planets or even in stars from time to time. If I was on a planet, I was never there more than a billion years or so before another ####### asteroid came and threw me off of it. When I landed in stars (hotter than ####), I just had to wait until it exploded and sent me off in some other direction. It really sucked.

But eventually I drifted out of the galaxy altogether. Of course it was nothing like that big pinwheel they told us it was in junior high. Just a big irregular blob. Just drifting and drifting, still couldn't breath. I passed other galaxies. Even from where I was, I could see stars exploding in the close ones. That was cool for a while. But I guess they were all running out of stars or something, the galaxies kept getting dimmer.

About the time the last galaxies were going out, I started to feel like I was going faster. A definite sensation of acceleration. I started spinning around. I don't know around what, but I could tell I was spinning from the few galaxies left out. I started to feel like I was stretching out, too. And then I couldn't see anything at all. Not too long after that I just felt crushed and stopped moving. Just saying that doesn't do it justice. I couldn't even move myself anymore. I felt like someone had crammed me inside a ####### shoebox or something.

This went on for a long ####### time. And I just kept feeling smaller and smaller and smaller. When suddenly I was free. Well, I wasn't being crushed anymore. But I still couldn't move and still felt tiny as ####. And I still couldn't see anything.

But that's where it ended. Nothing has happened since then. Nothing. And that was a really ####### long time ago. I've already rethought every thought I ever had a googol times. That's not even an exaggeration, I counted. Yeah, I counted to a googol. That's how long I've been out here.

Man, this ####### sucks. Immortality blows.

Man of Zen said:
Dentist said:
Fat Nick said:

:goodposting: Lust for immortality is a young man's game. I've never known anyone over 70 who wanted to live to 100, much less forever.
What if they could have their 20 year old body? That's the game changer. People have posted about elderly religious people calmly accepting their fate, but what if death didn't have to be their fate? What if they could be 20 again?

Man of Zen said:
Dentist said:
Fat Nick said:

That's not very Zen.

I don't know if this is the same research the OP was referring to (link is dead now), but the idea surrounding actual immortality is in the news again. Here's the gist:

http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/638926

He told News.Com.Au: "The therapies that we are working on at the moment are not going to be perfect. These therapies are going to be good enough to take middle age people, say people aged 60, and rejuvenate them thoroughly enough so they won't be biologically 60 again until they are chronologically 90.

I don't know if this is the same research the OP was referring to (link is dead now), but the idea surrounding actual immortality is in the news again. Here's the gist:

http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/638926

He told News.Com.Au: "The therapies that we are working on at the moment are not going to be perfect. These therapies are going to be good enough to take middle age people, say people aged 60, and rejuvenate them thoroughly enough so they won't be biologically 60 again until they are chronologically 90.
Its the same guy, Aubrey De Grey.

But he's not alone in pursuing this anymore. Even Google is with their subsidiary, Calico.

I'd say the odds of this happening before I die are looking fairly decent. Better than 50/50.

Users who are viewing this thread