What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LMAO@ SD, uh LA, uh.... Mexico chargers? (1 Viewer)

Was a season ticket holder for 20 years. Hard to stomach the move to LA, but still root for them from afar. Cannot seem to quit them. Padres did help spoil the Chargers bid for a stadium, but Spanos and company did lots of damage. City went crazy the year SD went to the SB. The city has changed so much just in the last 10 years, not sure the current economic situation (e.g., high cost of living) would make fans support a team. 

Was a season ticket holder for 20 years. Hard to stomach the move to LA, but still root for them from afar. Cannot seem to quit them. Padres did help spoil the Chargers bid for a stadium, but Spanos and company did lots of damage. City went crazy the year SD went to the SB. The city has changed so much just in the last 10 years, not sure the current economic situation (e.g., high cost of living) would make fans support a team. 
I agree to a point. The ones who are left and are moving here have disposable income and the ones who can't have moved or will move in the future. We currently have a housing crisis that has yet to be rivled...most want to be here and enough will most likely spend to have fun and support a SD team as the did in the 70's and 80's. Quite a few teams have the opposing team fans show up and fill seats . San Diego see's that as a win win. They spend money like us and most likly more as they are on "vacation". This is one of the best cities in the US for just about anything. Kind of like las vegas ...you go for the wedding ...but you play in the sun!

The year they went to the super bowl changed everything. All of a sudden there were Charger fans all over the place, lightning bolts everywhere, etc... That super bowl went a long way in creating more die hard fans in the city.

Just LA of all places for them to move. I don't see how the owners and Goodall could be so disconnected. There had to be some pictures with a donkey in Tijuana or something involved for that move to have gotten done.

The year they went to the super bowl changed everything. All of a sudden there were Charger fans all over the place, lightning bolts everywhere, etc... That super bowl went a long way in creating more die hard fans in the city.

Just LA of all places for them to move. I don't see how the owners and Goodall could be so disconnected. There had to be some pictures with a donkey in Tijuana or something involved for that move to have gotten done.
GREED------SPANOS-------DOWNFALL

well in a way we will never comprehend as downfall for one is not downfall for another.

Just LA of all places for them to move. I don't see how the owners and Goodall could be so disconnected. 
Oh, you haven't seen anything yet. Just imagine if these rumors are true and goodell and goons get together and send(I guess they can do that?!) the chargers BACK to SD. And I guess, you know, pretend it never happened. "Disconnected" is being far too generous.

Very true, that year the number of Chargers fans seemed to finally outnumber fans of other teams. Was always disappointing to feel like home games were away games due to all of the non-Chargers fans. When I lived in SD, I always had the sense that fans would not pony up for PSLs. Also always went to the Holiday Bowl, which was a great atmosphere. SD is a sports friendly town, just not sure that tourists would go to any pro games, regardless of the sport, with so many other things to do.

I think I may have seen an incriminating photo of that donkey on the other side of the border.

Seriously, though, the nosebleed PSLs are $10,000 and they go up to like $100,000 or maybe even $150,000. Then you have to buy the tickets on top of that. Did they really expect a new home to draw in everyday fans that could afford those prices? That was the dumb decision at the heart of this problem.
That's sort of the point of all these new arenas/stadiums isn't it? New buildings make it easier to crank up the cost you are charging to "fans". That's why the league/owners thinks it perfectly reasonable to expect a new stadium to built for them every 20 years or so. How old was that stadium in STL?

I dunno where the chargers will land but it seem to me getting an NFL franchise is an awful lot like getting the Olympics to come to town. It really doesn't make sense to get "rewarded" with landing a team.

South TX is bigger than many states.
I’m not debating how large it is nor how big a market it would be. My wife loves SA and wants to move there. Great place. Of the three locations mentioned by the other poster I personally would like to see it in a State that doesn’t already have NFL representation. It is my opinion. 

I’m not debating how large it is nor how big a market it would be. My wife loves SA and wants to move there. Great place. Of the three locations mentioned by the other poster I personally would like to see it in a State that doesn’t already have NFL representation. It is my opinion. 
I'm just busting your balls.  I don't really think a team would work out here either.

I'm just busting your balls.  I don't really think a team would work out here either.
It’s all good. I felt like I was in the Leveon Bell thread for a minute and couldn’t escape! 

I don’t have a desire to live in that TX heat anyway, but my wife loved it there. 

Soooo.. Chargers back to SD a possibility?

- find a local FL buyer for Jags, Jags stay in FL. Jags and their fans WIN

- Khan sells Jags and buys chargers(for a healthy profit on the flip I would think). Khan WIN

- Khan moves the chargers to London and the entire city of LA is outraged.... or barely notices that the chargers were even there in the first place. NFL finally gets it's franchise in London. Khan finally gets his franchise in London. London doesn't win, but they don't know any better because they don't know the history of the franchise. NFL, Khan, London(ish) WIN

- NFL owners rid themselves of the spanos family and they squander all the $ Khan paid them(at a deep discount) within a decade. The spanos family is nothing more than a small joke in the history of the NFL. The spanos family is forced to live on their wits instead of NFL TV contracts. They corner the market on corrugated real estate... die penniless in a cloud of dementia. World WIN

Have the Chargers move to Angel Stadium ... Angels lease is up... OC is SD 's neighbor and people are more alike than LA folks...

Im from OC nobody here is a Chargers fan...even when the whole team was hooping with us at the local gym... everyone loves the RAMS /RAIDERS

- find a local FL buyer for Jags, Jags stay in FL. Jags and their fans WIN

- Khan sells Jags and buys chargers(for a healthy profit on the flip I would think). Khan WIN

- Khan moves the chargers to London and the entire city of LA is outraged.... or barely notices that the chargers were even there in the first place. NFL finally gets it's franchise in London. Khan finally gets his franchise in London. London doesn't win, but they don't know any better because they don't know the history of the franchise. NFL, Khan, London(ish) WIN

- NFL owners rid themselves of the spanos family and they squander all the $ Khan paid them(at a deep discount) within a decade. The spanos family is nothing more than a small joke in the history of the NFL. The spanos family is forced to live on their wits instead of NFL TV contracts. They corner the market on corrugated real estate... die penniless in a cloud of dementia. World WIN
Spanos?  Who's Spanos, already forgot....

This is fantastic news for fans of teams in smaller markets. LA was used as the threat for a long long time against smaller cities and fanbases. With that threat now shown to be a farce, cities will have a lot more leverage going forward.

Just read that Chargers have a 20 year lease at new LA Stadium...and that with all of the sponsorships that are being sold in conjunction with the new stadium, sponsors being promised 20 NFL games per year.

NFL always finds a way to make money, and I can’t think that having one of their franchises being a prisoner in a market that doesn’t want them is a good business model.  But this is sticky.

Ok ..not what I'm hearing but you seem so sure...so... ok
I had a stupid autocorrect i there: "desperately" suppose to be "separately".

Anyway, what are you hearing? I don't know where you got the "just waiting on city council approval" thing from. That is what the initial Soccer City was suppose to do to avoid a ballot measure all together. That was when SDSU was going to be on board WITH Soccer City. Before SDSU got greedy.

If you want the inner politics on this whole thing (I love this boring stuff sometimes) here is a good impartial article: 

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/news/just-how-close-soccercity-and-sdsu-got-to-a-deal-and-how-it-all-fell-apart/

Da Guru said:
Should be the Rams in LA.   Chargers in SD and Raiders in Oakland.
No thanks as a Raider fan I’m excited that the Raiders are getting out of Oakland and that pit of a stadium ?.

TheDirtyWord said:
Just read that Chargers have a 20 year lease at new LA Stadium...and that with all of the sponsorships that are being sold in conjunction with the new stadium, sponsors being promised 20 NFL games per year.

NFL always finds a way to make money, and I can’t think that having one of their franchises being a prisoner in a market that doesn’t want them is a good business model.  But this is sticky.
I don't believe the 20 year lease is a big issue at all(although I desperately hope the chargers honor that lease). Just between you and me, I think the NFL owners might know a guy that knows a guy that has some influence with the new LA Stadium. He may get a little sweetener from the other owners(to make up for the lost stadium sponsorship $) but at the end of the day does he really WANT to share the market with another team anyway?

Another thought about the sponsorship situation, most of the sponsors are national I believe.

The chargers averaged 25k fans per game last year when they played at home. Yes, you read that right. Just so you know the absolute bottom of the barrel home attendance is CIN/oak. And this is oak after the NFL announced they are moving the team out from under them. Those teams both averaged over 52k. The Browns averaged over 63k for the 2017 season they put together. Again, the chargers averaged 25k.

If I am a national sponsor and had paid for stadium sponsorship I would desperately want it at almost any other city than the chargers playing in la.

The NFL isn't doing them any favors. They have are about to play a "home game" in London. Fine. Someone has to do it. Makes sense it's the Chargers. BUT, look at the kickoff time. 6:30am for their home market. For thier fans. Last week they kicked off the London game at the standard early 1pm ET/10am Pt time. Now they want home Charger fans to set an alarm and try to get going for a 630am kickoff? That's a kick in the nuts. Local ratings are going to be brutal. 

The NFL isn't doing them any favors. They have are about to play a "home game" in London. Fine. Someone has to do it. Makes sense it's the Chargers. BUT, look at the kickoff time. 6:30am for their home market. For thier fans. Last week they kicked off the London game at the standard early 1pm ET/10am Pt time. Now they want home Charger fans to set an alarm and try to get going for a 630am kickoff? That's a kick in the nuts. Local ratings are going to be brutal. 
What ratings? lol

Sebowski said:
I had a stupid autocorrect i there: "desperately" suppose to be "separately".

Anyway, what are you hearing? I don't know where you got the "just waiting on city council approval" thing from. That is what the initial Soccer City was suppose to do to avoid a ballot measure all together. That was when SDSU was going to be on board WITH Soccer City. Before SDSU got greedy.

If you want the inner politics on this whole thing (I love this boring stuff sometimes) here is a good impartial article: 

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topics/news/just-how-close-soccercity-and-sdsu-got-to-a-deal-and-how-it-all-fell-apart/
That was Sept 10...but interesting read. I guess we'll see. But for sure the Chargers are done here unless they sell the team to an owner who wants to move back.

TheDirtyWord said:

I would think that Stan could be persuaded to let them out of the lease.  However they want someone in the that new stadium every weekend for a few years when it opens.

Why on earth the league let SD have privilege over the raiders to go to LA is dumb. LA had tons of Raider fans as it was.....moving the chargers to Vegas made tons of sense.....the golden knights fan base was excellent this year, would of worked out fine.

Sometimes these billionaire geniuses make really dumb decisions

I would think that Stan could be persuaded to let them out of the lease.  However they want someone in the that new stadium every weekend for a few years when it opens.

Why on earth the league let SD have privilege over the raiders to go to LA is dumb. LA had tons of Raider fans as it was.....moving the chargers to Vegas made tons of sense.....the golden knights fan base was excellent this year, would of worked out fine.

Sometimes these billionaire geniuses make really dumb decisions
Kroenke probably didn't want to have to compete with the Raiders for LA. He knew it would be no competition with the Chargers.

TheDirtyWord said:

The NHL found a way to get the Islanders out of Brooklyn.  Surely the NFL can do something similar with the Chargers.

-QG

The NFL isn't doing them any favors.
They didn't do them any favors last year either. Half of their home games coincided with Rams home games, anyone who thought it might be nice to support both teams was forced to pick a side. And seeing the Rams had already been there a year and had a longer history in LA before that, the Chargers didn't stand a chance.

Whoever decided that they should charge $100 for on-site parking didn't help matters either.

They didn't do them any favors last year either. Half of their home games coincided with Rams home games, anyone who thought it might be nice to support both teams was forced to pick a side. And seeing the Rams had already been there a year and had a longer history in LA before that, the Chargers didn't stand a chance.

Whoever decided that they should charge $100 for on-site parking didn't help matters either.
100 ******* ******* dollars for parking? Do I even want to ask how much a beer is?

Nice start time for Chargers fans in L.A./SD this morning. By which I mean total disregard from the league.
I dunno. The attendance for their home games is 25k. I was going to be generous and estimate that 1/4th of those were charger fans but if you really look at it....

https://www.theherdnow.com/video-chargers-stadium-overrun-with-niners-fans-erupts-like-a-sf-home-game-after-a-td/

... what % of charger fans are in that audience? MAYBE 1/5th? So there are ~5k charger fans in the city. Fewer? How many people are they really inconveniencing? 

Total tone deaf ownership. It's like they are following the book on how to ruin an NFL franchise in 2 years or less.
ya, at this point they need to get them out of LA and change the name of the team. Will be a shame to retire the powder blues but the team needs a whole reboot at this point. Their fanbase was decimated with that move. 

ya, at this point they need to get them out of LA and change the name of the team. Will be a shame to retire the powder blues but the team needs a whole reboot at this point. Their fanbase was decimated with that move. 
Ummmmm, you are forgetting the most important step.

Until they have some sort of exorcism to rid the team of the current ownership nothing else matters. The spanos family were the driving force that were convinced that this move to la was a great move for the franchise. This franchise will be an embarrassment to the league as long as they are in charge of it. It's a real shame the spanos are getting exposed right now. A real shame.

Users who are viewing this thread