What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Long Weekend in Minneapolis - what to do? (2 Viewers)

Just flying back from there now.  Really impressed with what MN has to offer in the summer.  Haven't been to all of the lakes, but Maynard's on Lake Minnetonka is a zoo.  Great people watching.  Caught a ride over to Lord Fletcher's as well.  

Depending on how late you get into town on Thursdays Canterbury Park has dollar nights on Thursday, racing from 6:30pm to 11 or so.

Locals have some good ideas. Stays light out until 9:30pm + so enjoy

I always like Hell's Kitchen downtown for food and alcohol. Live music on weekends too. Psycho Suzi's is a cool place to hang out in the afternoon and get bombed.
Here I am going to disagree. I think Hells Kitchen is the most overrated place in Minneapolis. Their corned beef hash is horrible! I don't know who the hell taught their chef on how to make corned beef hash but when you have a giant pieces of celery in it, it's disgusting. Seriously, I think they rough chop two stalks of celery, quick grill it, and add it to their hash. It's NASTY!

Their homemade peanut butter is nothing to write home about because I honestly think that I make a better homemade peanut butter. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you in town yet? I'm stuck at home with the kids and just drank the last of my booze. Mind swinging over? Thanks

A few things to consider if you want street cred:

Al's Breakfast - a 14 seat dive that has stood up to all of the Starbucking in the neighborhood. Breakfast only. Cash only. No saving seats. 

Bread and Pickle on Lake Harriet or Tin Fish on Lake Calhoun - long lines, but they sell beer to pass the time. 

A Minnesota Loons soccer game at TCF Stadium. They are all the rage in their first season even though they stink.

Any of the breweries. I like Bauhaus and Fulton. Others swear by Surly, but it's not my bag. 

One personal favorite: Up/Down Minneapolis. It's an arcade of classic arcade games, pinball, and ski ball. They also have a great local beer menu. Gets busy late so go earlier to get on your choice of games. 

Most of these have been mentioned already but a few of the favorites...

Pizza - Pizzeria Lola is our favorite.  Interesting combos with great flavor. Cossettas is a cafeteria style Italian place in St. Paul.  It's a staple before events at the X.  Solid Italian food overall but really good pizza. 

Burgers - Blue Door Pub - Great juicy lucys, lots of other interesting burgers.  Wings are outstanding. 

Italian - Broders Pasta Bar - Super small and usually a wait, but worth it for the great pasta.  Highly recommend #18.

Steak - Manny's - It's a great steak.  It's not cheap.

Beer - In the Nordeast area - Dangerous Man (Peanut Butter Porter and Coconut Porter) and Indeed are the highlights.  As others have mentioned, Surly is worth checking out.  The place is gigantic.  You can get food too but there's usually a decent wait.

Desserts - Izzys Ice Cream - About 40 flavors that are changed all the time.

Solid recommendations, all.  I haven't seen anyone mention Thai, there are some really good places in Uptown.  I'm thinking Amazing Thailand and Tum Rup Thai, but there are others as well.  Blacksheep, Young Joni, and Lola are all awesome pizza joints.  

It is nowhere near the best breakfast. I mean, it's good and all, but it is just a diner on par with a few other diners in the cities, and stil nowhere near as good as a bunch of non diner restaurants.

I really appreciate all of the recommendations. Trip isn't until next weekend - I wish we didn't have to go to the wedding reception on Saturday night so we could go do more of the stuff recommended in here or go watch MN United against the Sounders.

Thursday - arrive around 10pm, drink at a bar somewhere downtown 

Friday - sculpture garden > Loring Park > Surly > Psycho Suzi's > Twins > will be too drunk to care

Saturday - MIA > try a few places on Nicolett > wedding reception > ?

Sunday - disc golf > Pizzeria Lola (right when they open) > Lake Harriet/Calhoun > different place on Nicolett for dinner

Going to be a solid weekend. My wife has never been up there and I haven't since I was under 21, so that doesn't really count. 

Where you staying downtown? We can probably get some decent recommendations for you on decent bars near the hotel

One personal favorite: Up/Down Minneapolis. It's an arcade of classic arcade games, pinball, and ski ball. They also have a great local beer menu. Gets busy late so go earlier to get on your choice of games. 
There is an Up/Down here in KC too. It's crazy packed all the time as well. Very cool concept. 

Solid recommendations, all.  I haven't seen anyone mention Thai, there are some really good places in Uptown.  I'm thinking Amazing Thailand and Tum Rup Thai, but there are others as well.  Blacksheep, Young Joni, and Lola are all awesome pizza joints.  
Really too bad what happened to True Thai in Seward, what with the head chef getting killed by Joe Senser's wife. Was my favorite Thai place before that. Closed down now. India Palace is my favorite Indian food place around the cities, and they've got multiple locations.

Where you staying downtown? We can probably get some decent recommendations for you on decent bars near the hotel
Hampton Inn, which appears to be on the corner of 8th and 1st (how is that possible?). It won't be a late night or anything so we will just go wherever is closest more than likely. 

There is an Up/Down here in KC as well. It's crazy packed all the time as well. Very cool concept. 
I joined a Tuesday night skee ball league that has been a ton of fun. They always have old wrestling and movies on too. Last Tuesday I watched Mad Max, the Running Man, and and old Royal Rumble.

I don't love Rock Bottom Brewery, but that is right near you, and a pretty easy place to just get a few beers. 

I do always enjoy Brit's Pub on a warm evening. Head outside and watch some idiots play lawn bowling.

The Depot Tavern is cool

I don't love Rock Bottom Brewery, but that is right near you, and a pretty easy place to just get a few beers. 

I do always enjoy Brit's Pub on a warm evening. Head outside and watch some idiots play lawn bowling.

The Depot Tavern is cool
Rock Bottom is fine, but Gluek's is a similar place that is full of locals. They usually have some form of live music going too. It'll be jam packed before and after Twins games, though.

I love the Depot - even if you don't stop in here or the First Avenue Mainroom, you at least have to walk past the stars on the wall. 

Hampton Inn, which appears to be on the corner of 8th and 1st (how is that possible?). It won't be a late night or anything so we will just go wherever is closest more than likely. 
Kieran's Irish Pub is just down a couple blocks (right by Target Center). You'd walk right by First Ave (of Purple Rain fame) to get there. Like JB said...check out the stars, anyways. Hopefully, it will be nice out so you can walk outside wherever you want to go. If not, there are maps of the skyways online and those can be helpful for getting around (particularly if you're goofed-up after sitting in the bar for a while).

Some great suggestions throughout the thread. Enjoy! :thumbup:

Kieran's Irish Pub is just down a couple blocks (right by Target Center). You'd walk right by First Ave (of Purple Rain fame) to get there. Like JB said...check out the stars, anyways. Hopefully, it will be nice out so you can walk outside wherever you want to go. If not, there are maps of the skyways online and those can be helpful for getting around (particularly if you're goofed-up after sitting in the bar for a while).

Some great suggestions throughout the thread. Enjoy! :thumbup:
There are a couple of bars with roof top seating right in that area if it is a nice night.  Of course I don't go down enough to know the names, but I have been to one or two right there.

I'm fairly certain they just make stuff up when it's a week out but as of now the weather forecast looks pretty amazing. Highs in the low 80s, small chance of rain Friday night into Saturday morning. 

Most of these have been mentioned already but a few of the favorites...

Pizza - Pizzeria Lola is our favorite.  Interesting combos with great flavor. Cossettas is a cafeteria style Italian place in St. Paul.  It's a staple before events at the X.  Solid Italian food overall but really good pizza. 

Burgers - Blue Door Pub - Great juicy lucys, lots of other interesting burgers.  Wings are outstanding. 

Italian - Broders Pasta Bar - Super small and usually a wait, but worth it for the great pasta.  Highly recommend #18.

Steak - Manny's - It's a great steak.  It's not cheap.

Beer - In the Nordeast area - Dangerous Man (Peanut Butter Porter and Coconut Porter) and Indeed are the highlights.  As others have mentioned, Surly is worth checking out.  The place is gigantic.  You can get food too but there's usually a decent wait.

Desserts - Izzys Ice Cream - About 40 flavors that are changed all the time.
I have always liked Cossetta's. And if we're talking pizza in downtown St Paul, I'll add Savoy's

Here I am going to disagree. I think Hells Kitchen is the most overrated place in Minneapolis. Their corned beef hash is horrible! I don't know who the hell taught their chef on how to make corned beef hash but when you have a giant pieces of celery in it, it's disgusting. Seriously, I think they rough chop two stalks of celery, quick grill it, and add it to their hash. It's NASTY!

Their homemade peanut butter is nothing to write home about because I honestly think that I make a better homemade peanut butter. 
I have only been there twice (work lunches), but I have been unimpressed. I tried the famous Ham & Pear sandwich and didn't think it was anything special :shrug:

8th Street and 1st Avenue.  In Minneapolis the "streets" go west-east, and the "avenues" go north-south.  

7th Street and 1st Avenue is the legendary First Avenue music venue.  If you're that close, you must at least walk by it - there's a wall of painted stars honoring bands that played there, which is pretty much any rock or R&B act that did a national club tour before making it big.  The music scenes from Purple Rain were filmed there, so expect a Prince shrine, too.   

I'll read through the thread to get some ideas, but wanted to bump this to see if there's anything new to add since I'll be there in a couple weeks. I'm staying just a couple blocks from the Vikings stadium in the Mill district.

It's not going to be snowing, right?

I will also be heading there in a few weeks for the game against Denver.  Get in Friday and staying 5 or 6 blocks from the stadium.  Looking for something to do Saturday and what we need to do on game day on the way to the stadium.  

Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks.

I'll read through the thread to get some ideas, but wanted to bump this to see if there's anything new to add since I'll be there in a couple weeks. I'm staying just a couple blocks from the Vikings stadium in the Mill district.

Biggest snowstorm in my lifetimes was on an October 31st.  Each day passing brings the first snow that much closer.

My wife and I stay in that area a couple of times each year -- our son is a student at U of Minnesota, which is about two minutes away.  

We're not really hang-out-at-bars people, so I can't comment too much on nightlife.  We both love the Guthrie Theater and I can't recommend it highly enough if they are showing something that looks interesting.  (It looks like you're looking at Glass Menagerie or Steel Magnolias -- if your tastes are like mine, you're SOL).  They are doing a production of The Bacchae in the spring that I am stoked for.  This is exactly the kind of play that I would love to see, and I just assumed I would go to my grave without ever having had the opportunity to experience a live performance of a play from classical Greece.  

Edit: I haven't been there, but one of my college's major donors has strongly recommended Betty Danger's for off-beat dining.  It's on our list of things to do the next time we're in MSP. 

We both love the Guthrie Theater and I can't recommend it highly enough if they are showing something that looks interesting.  (It looks like you're looking at Glass Menagerie or Steel Magnolias -- if your tastes are like mine, you're SOL). 
Just an FYI, my sister is the Director of Steel Magnolias at the Guthrie. Will be there at the end of the month for opening night to see it. I know I'm biased, but i will be fantastic. She does good work.

:D

Few things I would suggest.

Go see a show at First Ave, or if nothing exciting is there, go next door to 7th Street Entry. Or if that isn't your thing, head to MN History Center in St Paul that has a really cool exhibit on First Ave.

If you like dogs, head down to Minnehaha Falls dog park. Huge park along the river with loads of dogs.

If the weather is decently nice, take a walk or ride a bike around a few lakes, or go across the Stone Arch Bridge.

Mill City Farmers Market and Mill City Musuem are decently good things.

Few of my favorite restaurants are Hai-Hai, Bachelor Farmer, Young Joni, World Street Kitchen, Ngon Bistro.

Good way to drink many beers at many different bars around town is to spend 25 bucks for a PubPass. Get a free beer at 25 different spots.

Looks like the Wild have a Saturday afternoon game the weekend I will be there for the Vikings.  How expensive are Wild tickets?  It looks like the arena is about 10 miles from downtown where I am staying.   Are Uber/Lyft type rides readily available?

Looks like the Wild have a Saturday afternoon game the weekend I will be there for the Vikings.  How expensive are Wild tickets?  It looks like the arena is about 10 miles from downtown where I am staying.   Are Uber/Lyft type rides readily available?
You can take the train from downtown Mpls to downtown St Paul. It's like 45 minutes and $3. I'm sure you'd have no problem getting an uber ride. 

Not sure the Wild are any good this year. But there isn't really a bad seat in the house, even in the cheap seats. 

You can take the train from downtown Mpls to downtown St Paul. It's like 45 minutes and $3. I'm sure you'd have no problem getting an uber ride. 

Not sure the Wild are any good this year. But there isn't really a bad seat in the house, even in the cheap seats. 
I just like going to different arenas and don't have any other plans for Saturday as I am waiting around for the football game on Sunday.  It's also an afternoon game so it frees up the evening as well.  I am not really too worried about the Wild being good (I am actually a Kings fan so it will probably be comforting to see poor play) and was hoping that would mean cheaper tickets.  I looked on tickpick last night and the cheapest were in the $80's up in nose bleed.  I was figuring they would be less.  Maybe as we get closer to the game they will drop. 

Thanks for the info. 

I just like going to different arenas and don't have any other plans for Saturday as I am waiting around for the football game on Sunday.  It's also an afternoon game so it frees up the evening as well.  I am not really too worried about the Wild being good (I am actually a Kings fan so it will probably be comforting to see poor play) and was hoping that would mean cheaper tickets.  I looked on tickpick last night and the cheapest were in the $80's up in nose bleed.  I was figuring they would be less.  Maybe as we get closer to the game they will drop. 

Thanks for the info. 
Good or bad, the Wild are a hot ticket in MN.  We love hockey and its a great stadium.

If you're looking to kill a couple of hours, I have thirty yards of dirt I am spreading in my yard.  Can use an extra hand.  That's really an open invitation to anyone in the cities this weekend.  :D  

Good or bad, the Wild are a hot ticket in MN.  We love hockey and its a great stadium.

If you're looking to kill a couple of hours, I have thirty yards of dirt I am spreading in my yard.  Can use an extra hand.  That's really an open invitation to anyone in the cities this weekend.  :D  
I would have taken you up on that great offer.....unfortunately I am not there this weekend.  I am there in mid November.  Hopefully there isn't too much snow at that time.....

Thanks for the info. 
definitely go to Barrel Theory after the game, just north of Mears Park downtown.  best brewery in the Metro and there are several good ones.

@Bull Dozier do you think prices will go down as we near the game date (Nov 16th)?  I am seeing prices in the low $100's for lower sections and in the $80's for the upper sections.  Are these decent prices?

I would have taken you up on that great offer.....unfortunately I am not there this weekend.  I am there in mid November.  Hopefully there isn't too much snow at that time.....
It's 30 yards, it still might be there in November.

@Bull Dozier do you think prices will go down as we near the game date (Nov 16th)?  I am seeing prices in the low $100's for lower sections and in the $80's for the upper sections.  Are these decent prices?
I am not an expert.  I don't go unless I get free tickets, as I don't love hockey so the going rates are never worth it for me.  For someone who loves hockey and likes to enjoy new stadiums, it is worth it I'm sure.  I can't comment on the price swings though as I just don't know.

it won't change much, particularly for a Saturday game.  those prices are typical, upper can probably be found a bit cheaper depending on where it is.

Just an FYI, my sister is the Director of Steel Magnolias at the Guthrie. Will be there at the end of the month for opening night to see it. I know I'm biased, but i will be fantastic. She does good work.

:D
Was in Minneapolis for the weekend. It was damn cold for someone that has been in Miami for the last 10 years. And it snowed a little so that was cool.

For any Minneapolisans(?), I highly encourage you to go see Steel Magnolias at the Guthrie. It was fantastic. Amusing, Entertaining, Endearing. All of the above.

I’m not a theater guy and yes, my sister was the director, however I thought it was a great evening.

We went to dinner at Sea Change, which is part of the Guthrie and it was very good as well. Overall, a great evening of dinner and theater. 

Give it a try. You just may like it.

For any Minneapolisans(?), I highly encourage you to go see Steel Magnolias at the Guthrie. It was fantastic. Amusing, Entertaining, Endearing. All of the above.

I’m not a theater guy and yes, my sister was the director, however I thought it was a great evening.
I'd love to see the show. Been to the Guthrie a bunch of times over the years. But it seems like, ahem, if someone's sister was the, ahem, director, maybe he could get a good FBG buddy some free tix! I'll take a PM. 

it won't change much, particularly for a Saturday game.  those prices are typical, upper can probably be found a bit cheaper depending on where it is.
Made the dive and got tickets yesterday.  Section 120 for $80/ea.   Seemed like a good price based on what I saw.

Now I just need to figure out how to get from Minneapolis to the arena.   I was told to take the metro green line and exit at central station.   How often do the trains run and is there anything near the arena to grab a quick beer before heading into the arena?  Are there stations to hop on the green line all over?  I am staying at the Minneapolis Marriott City Center. 

Going up for the Vikings game next weekend. Have Manny's locked in Sunday night but not much else yet. Any tips on a good place to watch the World Cup final? Will be staying at the Hyatt Place near US Bank Stadium.

Going up for the Vikings game next weekend. Have Manny's locked in Sunday night but not much else yet. Any tips on a good place to watch the World Cup final? Will be staying at the Hyatt Place near US Bank Stadium.
Brit's Pub. Not far from you (0.7 miles by foot), but likely to be absolutely packed. If you don't mind crowds the atmosphere should be pretty nuts, especially if England makes it.

Users who are viewing this thread