What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for a Deal on 9-10" Android Tablet (1 Viewer)

Topes

Footballguy
Currently own a Google (Asus) Nexus 7. Love it. Only tablet I've owned.

I want an Android. Not iOS or Windows. This is for entertainment only. Web browsing and video watching. PDF reading. Maybe play Angry Birds, but no serious gaming. Don't need wireless plan availability. WiFi is sufficient to my needs.

Looking for a good deal on a non-crap 9-10" Android tablet. I'd really prefer 10", but would go 9" for significant savings and better software.

For every step the price drops, the crappiness sets in.

I'm generally not looking to spend $400. If I was, I'd grab a Nexus 10 (Samsung).

Have been eying:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1-Inch, Wi-Fi) - For $329, what I'd be willing to pay for a top-notch tablet, but runs Android 4.0

Lenovo - IdeaTab A2109 Tablet with 16GB Memory - - For only $249, some big savings. Lose an inch diagonal, though.

Between the above two, I'd likely lean toward the Samsung.

I've looked at the bargain 10" no-brand tablets (capacitative, not resistive), and they seem like some folks get a great deal ($150 for tablet and keyboard), but the failure rate is high. I'm leaning away from that arena, as I value reliability pretty highly. I don't want to do tech support in my home time. But were I to find news of some gem deal hidden in the pile of no-names, I'd still investigate.

I go on vacation in two weeks, and I want to bring the new pad along.

Anybody got any info on current swell deals..?

I'm a similar situation - looking to buy a decent sub $400 tablet this weekend.

Been looking at this one:

ASUS ME301T-A1-BL Tablet - $279 + free shipping from either Newegg or Amazon. Good reviews on both sites.

I was reading reviews for that Tab 2 and a word I saw several times was "slow".

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a similar situation - looking to buy a decent sub $400 tablet this weekend.

Been looking at this one:

ASUS ME301T-A1-BL Tablet - $279 + free shipping from either Newegg or Amazon. Good reviews on both sites.

I was reading reviews for that Tab 2 and a word I saw several times was "slow".
Yah, I'd forgotten that one. I moved it off my list early on (last week), and I just can't recall why. Looking thru my history, it may have been something in this review.

But I've tempered my expectations as I've read more about these tablets.

The Google 10 is still considered a great value by most, but I'm just not sure if I want to blow $400 on a tablet. It's little more than a toy for me.

As to the refurbs, well, just not my cup of tea. I know plenty of folks who swear by them ("they're just open box returns mostly"), but I never find the discounting attractive enough. Add on top the notion of getting electronics from ebay, which I am generally disinclined to do, and it's almost a non-starter for me. I buy most of my accessories (cases, screen protectors, AC adapters and cables) on ebay, but it's not the best marketplace on which to do a return.

On that note, when given the choice, I often prefer to buy electronics at a B&M. Easier return, should I get a DOA.

But loooking more into that there ASUS ME301T-A1-BL.

That's the official Acer store. :shrug: I wouldn't hesitate but understand if someone is hesitant.

That's the official Acer store. :shrug: I wouldn't hesitate but understand if someone is hesitant.
One of the things which makes me leery is that Acer offers 90-day warranty on their refurbs, while they offer 1-year on the new units.

One would think they'd be willing to extend the same year on the refurbs, but they are not. But, as they aren't, I'd expect the discount to be greater.

A lot of companies limit the refurb warranty period, which is another thing which skeeves me.

Again, just a matter of risk preference. I could very well be missing the boat here.

Ended up buying the ME301T-A1-BL.-BL from Newegg.

Got it off ebay so there was no tax or shipping. $279 total

(The Free Shipping on Newegg itself required registering for their shipping club. Hassle.)

Amazon lowered the price on the Galaxy 2 to $299 overnight, if anybody else was looking at that.

ME301T-A1-BL suits me fine for what it does. eBook reader, web browser, video player.

Good buy.

Barnes and noble just dropped the price of the Nook HD. Picked up the 16gb today for $150. No camera and it has its own android flavor, but you can use google play to get all of the apps you might put on any other android. Really can't beat it for the $.

Users who are viewing this thread