What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Magnus Carlsen is now the world chess #1 (1 Viewer)

One of the fascinating things to look at is the clock. Carlsen is NOT dominating the time of possession ;)

Indicating that his moves are creating problems for Anand to analyze.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry at the ChessNetwork has very accessible analyses of the games: Game 6

It's particularly interesting to see in this endgame how material swings from Carslen +2 pawns to Anand +1, but by that point material was irrelevant. Not that it mattered, but I still wish for stylistic reasons that Carlsen would have promoted his pawn to a knight (f1=N+) instead of Rg1 to finish.

It's particularly interesting to see in this endgame how material swings from Carslen +2 pawns to Anand +1, but by that point material was irrelevant. Not that it mattered, but I still wish for stylistic reasons that Carlsen would have promoted his pawn to a knight (f1=N+) instead of Rg1 to finish.
That was nice -- thanks for posting.

It feels like Anand is going to get destroyed if he goes on the attack, but hard to see how he has a choice.

maybe anand is doing ali's rope-a-dope, to lull carlsen into a false sense of security, before a flurry of knockout haymakers?

Looking over this Rybka 3 analysis of players by era is fascinating. Looks like he completed this around 2009, with Kramnik 1998-2002 being the most recent player evaluated. Basically he compares the moves a player made and compares it to what Rybka 3 thinks is the best move. He then compares their "error rates" to modern players of various elo ratings. He also adjusts for things like opening knowledge IE he doesn't start tracking until after move "X" with X being a bigger number the more modern a player is to reflect opening theory. He also attempts to adjust for time controls used in the various eras.

All that said, here's the average expected error by thinking time chart.

Deep Blue, 1996-1997

Kramnik, 1998-2002

Karpov, 1986-1990

Fischer, 1968-1972

Capablanca, 1916-1924

Fine, 1936-1940

Average 2700 elo player

Anand, 1997-2001

Kasparov, 1989-1993

Korchnoi, 1977-1981

Smyslov, 1954-1958

Botvinnik, 1945-1949

Spassky, 1967-1971

Petrosian, 1960-1964

Keres, 1955-1959

Nimzowitsch, 1927-1931

Alekhine, 1929-1933

Tal, 1958-1962

Marshall, 1912-1916

Tarrasch, 1894-1898

Rubinstein, 1910-1914

Maroczy, 1903-1907

Euwe, 1934-1938

Pillsbury, 1899-1903

Reshevsky, 1951-1955

Average 2500 elo player

Lasker, 1892-1896

Chigorin, 1894-1898

Morphy, 1857-1859

Zukertort, 1880-1884

Steinitz, 1882-1886

Average 2300 elo player

Average 2100 elo player

A couple of interesting things. No one else in Morphy's era was even worth including in the list apparently. He truly was a peer without equal. A GM caliber player against amateurs by today's standards. A lot of that has to do with the romantic style of play that was favored at the time; attack wildly at all times to prove your manhood.

Tactical style players like Kasparov and Tal don't fare as well overall. He includes stdev, and when you take them at their absolute best, Tal and Kasparov end up #1 and #2 ahead of Deep Blue with ratings in the low 2900s. Deep Blue, Korchnoi and Spassky are the only others that hit 2900 in that metric. One comment you can make about that is strong tactical players are worse overall, but they try to make the game more complicated to give themselves an advantage.

Korchnoi's got royally screwed by his government. He had to throw his match against Petrosian for the right to challenge Fischer in 1971. Then after Fischer resigned his title, the government didn't allow anyone to help Korchnoi to prepare for his match against Karpov for the title and still made it a close 12.5 to 11.5. He had to defect at his peak to even have a chance to compete for a world title, but in doing so was basically on an island as far as support went. There weren't a lot of strong GMs outside of Russia to help him prepare for a match against Karpov, but still made it a close 6-5.

Seeing Capablanca in the top 5 overall, yet being from the WWI era is amazing. If Morphy was the 1st modern GM, Capablanca was the 1st super GM. Reuben Fine is the best player on this list to never win a title. It's a shame WWII happened as he certainly could've beaten Alekhine at that time especially right after the AVRO tournament.

Anand is considered to be the most tactical style player on this list, by a wide margin.

There are interesting parallels in the histories of chess and boxing. Morphy is the equivalent of John L Sullivan- big puncher, no defense. Steinitz and Lasker brought defense to chess around the same time as Corbett brought it to boxing.

Looking over this Rybka 3 analysis of players by era is fascinating. Looks like he completed this around 2009, with Kramnik 1998-2002 being the most recent player evaluated. Basically he compares the moves a player made and compares it to what Rybka 3 thinks is the best move. He then compares their "error rates" to modern players of various elo ratings. He also adjusts for things like opening knowledge IE he doesn't start tracking until after move "X" with X being a bigger number the more modern a player is to reflect opening theory. He also attempts to adjust for time controls used in the various eras.

All that said, here's the average expected error by thinking time chart.

Deep Blue, 1996-1997

Kramnik, 1998-2002

Karpov, 1986-1990

Fischer, 1968-1972

Capablanca, 1916-1924

Fine, 1936-1940

Average 2700 elo player

Anand, 1997-2001

Kasparov, 1989-1993

Korchnoi, 1977-1981

Smyslov, 1954-1958

Botvinnik, 1945-1949

Spassky, 1967-1971

Petrosian, 1960-1964

Keres, 1955-1959

Nimzowitsch, 1927-1931

Alekhine, 1929-1933

Tal, 1958-1962

Marshall, 1912-1916

Tarrasch, 1894-1898

Rubinstein, 1910-1914

Maroczy, 1903-1907

Euwe, 1934-1938

Pillsbury, 1899-1903

Reshevsky, 1951-1955

Average 2500 elo player

Lasker, 1892-1896

Chigorin, 1894-1898

Morphy, 1857-1859

Zukertort, 1880-1884

Steinitz, 1882-1886

Average 2300 elo player

Average 2100 elo player

A couple of interesting things. No one else in Morphy's era was even worth including in the list apparently. He truly was a peer without equal. A GM caliber player against amateurs by today's standards. A lot of that has to do with the romantic style of play that was favored at the time; attack wildly at all times to prove your manhood.

Tactical style players like Kasparov and Tal don't fare as well overall. He includes stdev, and when you take them at their absolute best, Tal and Kasparov end up #1 and #2 ahead of Deep Blue with ratings in the low 2900s. Deep Blue, Korchnoi and Spassky are the only others that hit 2900 in that metric. One comment you can make about that is strong tactical players are worse overall, but they try to make the game more complicated to give themselves an advantage.

Korchnoi's got royally screwed by his government. He had to throw his match against Petrosian for the right to challenge Fischer in 1971. Then after Fischer resigned his title, the government didn't allow anyone to help Korchnoi to prepare for his match against Karpov for the title and still made it a close 12.5 to 11.5. He had to defect at his peak to even have a chance to compete for a world title, but in doing so was basically on an island as far as support went. There weren't a lot of strong GMs outside of Russia to help him prepare for a match against Karpov, but still made it a close 6-5.

Seeing Capablanca in the top 5 overall, yet being from the WWI era is amazing. If Morphy was the 1st modern GM, Capablanca was the 1st super GM. Reuben Fine is the best player on this list to never win a title. It's a shame WWII happened as he certainly could've beaten Alekhine at that time especially right after the AVRO tournament.

Anand is considered to be the most tactical style player on this list, by a wide margin.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/132380754/Chess-Player-Analysis-by-Rybka-3-14ply

Is there anywhere to play where you can make a move as quickly or slowly as you want where we could get some fbg games going? I still use ICC, but as soon as my system goes to snooze mode, I lose connection to the game so I've been playing Blitz for a good two decades now. Any IPhone and Android apps? I didn't know there were people out there aside from me who enjoy chess, football and drinking all in one.

Warning: I play a killer Sicilian defense

Not a warning: I drink a lot and will make some stupid plays while drunk.

Is there anywhere to play where you can make a move as quickly or slowly as you want where we could get some fbg games going? I still use ICC, but as soon as my system goes to snooze mode, I lose connection to the game so I've been playing Blitz for a good two decades now. Any IPhone and Android apps? I didn't know there were people out there aside from me who enjoy chess, football and drinking all in one.

I'll play you a game John. No time limit. Just a fun game read by all where we post all moves. Shall we start a thread?

I'll play you a game John. No time limit. Just a fun game read by all where we post all moves. Shall we start a thread?
Play, but please don't start a thread. TIA.

Thank you for providing this link. I watched it this evening all the way through and it was terrific.

Well, he hasn't agreed to play me, but if he does, I really don't want my lousy chess skills being on display in a thread about the world's top player.

Game 7 drawn through repitition with Anand playing White. Carlsen 4.5 - 2.5 Anand.

Well, he hasn't agreed to play me, but if he does, I really don't want my lousy chess skills being on display in a thread about the world's top player.
:thanks:

"He played the Berlin. I played the most solid line... yadda yadda yadda we go to the doping control."

He yadda yadda'd the best part.

Anand needs to pull a 1993 Kasparov and come out with a Scotch or something else surprising. Has anyone played that in a title match since?

ETA: I see Kaspy played it against Anand in 1995 and Carlsen has played it a bit lately with great success.

SacramentoBob said:
Anand needs to pull a 1993 Kasparov and come out with a Scotch or something else surprising. Has anyone played that in a title match since?

ETA: I see Kaspy played it against Anand in 1995 and Carlsen has played it a bit lately with great success.
Kasparov got a couple wins in '95 with the Dragon. That would be a sexy try. Anand would get killed, but it would be awesome chess.

Anand comes out swinging with White in an open game. Resigns after 28 moves.

6-3 with three matches left. Anand needs to run the table to force OT.

Carlsen is routing him.

Carlsen is routing him.
Had to figure this was going to happen - Anand had to get aggressive to make something happen, and that simply allows Carlsen to sit back and wait for the mistake.

There will be no OT - next match will end in a draw.

Sinn Fein said:
wdcrob said:

Carlsen is routing him.
Had to figure this was going to happen - Anand had to get aggressive to make something happen, and that simply allows Carlsen to sit back and wait for the mistake.

:coffee:

Sinn Fein said:
wdcrob said:

Carlsen is routing him.

:coffee:
It did, but only because Anand held on for one. Carlsen passed on a potential draw by repetition around move 40 (IIRC) to go for the win.

Anand was a sypathetic figure IMO. He handled the loss well and spoke honestly about the match and his own mistakes. And ultimately there will be no shame in getting thumped by Carlsen in a championship. Odds are high that he's just the first and will soon be joined by some prestigious company.

At least he's not another Soviet champ. Getting tired of those guys.
Carlsen had a bit of luck to get on this thing. If he hadn't, Kramnik probably would've rolled Anand instead.

Carlsen was very impressive and really only broke a sweat in a couple of games. I'm not sure if Carlsen is just that good (tending this way), Anand has fallen off, or both. Not really enough games for a good performance sample, but we can also look to how time management came into play. Carlsen typically looked comfortable and made decisive moves. Anand seemed to struggle to even achieve this result.

I wonder how hard Carlsen will work going forward. He needs a Nakamura, Giri, or Caruana to step it up.

When's the next WC? How are the challengers for the candidates' tournament chosen? And when would they start play? Might be interesting to follow a whole cycle.

When's the next WC? How are the challengers for the candidates' tournament chosen? And when would they start play? Might be interesting to follow a whole cycle.
I was just looking into this the other day. They have this weird formula now where certain people get automatic bids like "loser of the previous WC match", "highest rated ELO player" and

top two finishers in XYZ tournament". It looks like the participants are already set for the 2014 cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2014

It's like the BCS combined with a playoff and a selection committee all rolled together.

Tim et. AL., I'm SoxGambit on ICC. It's a pay site and has some top dogs on it, but if you want action, that's where I've always played. 1466 ranking in Standard and slightly less than that in Blitz :bag:

Eta: 1539

Etaa: the iPad app for icc is phenomenal

No comments on Vishy winning the LCC via 3 draws and a win? :lol:

Also Caruana with a putrid showing. He looked pretty exhausted on the simulcasts I saw.

Pretty much exactly as you would draw it up for him to win.

Anyone interested in a separate chess thread to discuss opening games, analyze games of FBGs (sharing PGN files, etc), I have a ton of questions on some openings I'd like to discuss, not sure if this thread will bring in enough action though.

Specifically would like to look into some Caro Kann exchange variations I'm having a ##### of a time with.

I'm on ICC and play Blitz exclusively for anyone that ever wants a game. I'm pretty open to anything from 2/12 to 10/0 and everything in between

Users who are viewing this thread