What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Manning in Round #1 (Redraft) (1 Viewer)

bonesman

Footballguy
Welp... I never thought I'd be the guy to start a thread like this. In my 8 or 9 years playing fantasy football, I never thought I'd take a QB in round 1... but for some reason this was the year that I took the plunge.

scoring= 6pt all TDs... 3 pts bonus at 100 yd rushing/300 yd recieving. 1/4 point per reception for RBs. 1/2 point pre reception WR. 1/20 passing. 1/10 rush/receiving. (line up: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, K, DST.... no mandatory TE)

draft went something like this:

1.9- Manning.......... passed on Westbrook, Henry, Bush, Maroney, McGahee

2.4- Edge James...... passed on MJD, all WRs, Benson, R. Brown, T. Jones

3.9- Brandon Jacobs............ passed on Fitz, J-walk, A. Johnson

4.4- Portis................ passed on noone, Portis was a no-brainer here

5.9- D. Branch........... Coles, S. Moss, Galloway, Djax was still available

6.4- J. Jones............ passed on Braylon Edwards... but JJ was about the only player that i KNEW i wanted in this league this season... and i had to take him here... would've had to reach for V. Jackson here if I wanted him

7.9- Mark Clayton

8.4- Chris Chambers

9.9- Devery Henderson

10.4- Dolphins D

11.9- Winslow Jr.

12.4- Vikings D

13.9- V. Morency

14.4- J. Garcia

15- Kicker (Nedney)

16- Kicker (Kasay)

I had to draft 2 DST's, 2 Kickers and 2 QBs

My lineup is gonna look something like this:

QB: Manning............ Garcia

RB: Edge, Jacobs/Portis/Julius Jones................ Morency

WR: Branch, Clayton, Chambers/Winslow/Henderson

K: Nedney/Kasay

DST: Vikings/Miami

not the ideal draft... but i think i'm going to be competitive at least. And if i can get a more top flight receiver for one of my RBs in a trade (probably a 2 for one w/ one of my receivers) i think i could be VERY competitive.

this is NOT a "rank my team/draft" thread though... what i'd really like to see is other teams who took Manning in round one and how they faired playing from behind at the other positions. If you reached and took Palmer, Brees or Brady in the first round, that's cool too.

I just want to see how teams turned out who took a QB early.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you just exhibited why you don't take Manning in the 1st

I certainly don't want Edge as my RB1, probably not even RB2, all things reconsidered

and your starting WR's are Branch and Clayton :lmao:

I like Clayton, but come on

I dont know every pick of your draft, but at 1.9 I probly reach for Maroney or Henry and hope 1 of those other RBs slides..If not, I take Steve Smith or something

All in all, your roster appears very weak and I think it supports the idea that taking Manning is the :hophead: move

I think you just exhibited why you don't take Manning in the 1stI certainly don't want Edge as my RB1, probably not even RB2, all things reconsideredand your starting WR's are Branch and Clayton :X I like Clayton, but come onI dont know every pick of your draft, but at 1.9 I probly reach for Maroney or Henry and hope 1 of those other RBs slides..If not, I take Steve Smith or somethingAll in all, your roster appears very weak and I think it supports the idea that taking Manning is the :thumbdown: move
thanks for the response... but i'd prefer posters w/ opinions such as yours refrain from sharing as it's possible you could scare off other owners who took Manning in rd 1. I know i was hesitant to start this thread because I was pretty sure i'd get ripped. Much depends on H2H schedule and how you work the WW and trades. (I can't but help but think of the consensus WORST team in my league last year (went Chad Johnson-Tom Brady from the 10 slot) who finished in the final four with the MVP of his team being the Bears DST... (he made a good trade of S. Moss for D. McAllister... to the eventual Champ) ).Anyway... I happen to believe that Edge is Rudi Johnson-esque... B. Jacobs is a top 8 threat.... Portis should be good for 1500 yards and double digit TDs... Julius Jones is going to realize his inherent talent and Morency is going to emerge as GB's #1.... so i'll be able to trade for a slow starter (MJD who i passed on for JJ or Morency?) after a hot start from my RB corps.It's definitely going to take a savvy trade to make this team truly un-F-witable... but I think i have the depth at RB (and maybe even DST) to work a early-mid season deal that really makes it happen.but i'd like to see some other 1st round Manning owners step up. I bet there's more than a few of us who also took Portis. (both going to be regarded as "guppie" moves by some until some games are played)

Aside of Jacobs instead of Fitz, Walker or Andre Johnson not too bad, IMO.
The Fitz owner has Rhodes, Dorsey and Davenport behind Westbrook and Maroney (drafted right behind me in the 10th spot... and the owner i referred to above who drafted 85 and Brady the year before).I wouldn't be surprised if i can get a deal going w/ this owner for a combo of JJ and one of my WRs for Fitz and which ever out of Westbrook or Maroney that's out for a few weeks w/ some injury. :thumbdown:

I wouldn't be surprised if i can get a deal going w/ this owner for a combo of JJ and one of my WRs for Fitz and which ever out of Westbrook or Maroney that's out for a few weeks w/ some injury. :X
Sadly, this is the type of trade offer the rest of us see far more often than not...... :thumbdown:

Depending on league parameters drafting Manning in the 1st round is not a bad play as not all leagues are created equally. For the past ten years I have played in a typical 12 team 6 pt rush/receiving TD and 4 pt per passing TD league and there I would find it hard to draft a QB in the first round. However, given your parameters depressing the value of RB I would certainly consider it and giving your draft position I think the 9th pick was a good value. Why? 6 pts per all TD increases the value of QBs and the tier PPR aspect devalues the RB a bit.

I am playing in a different league this year with college friends that is a 10 team 1 pt ppr 6 pt TD start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 Def, 1 K 3 Flex and I am strongly considering taking Manning 5th overall as RB value are extremely depressed given the requirement of only starting 1 and the PPR aspect.

That said, I believe the strategy was certainly warranted, but now it comes down to execution and league draft style. For me I might have gone MJD but I can see that you might have gone a back not splitting carries. I would have gone WR in the 3rd but obviously you did not know Portis would fall to you in the 4th. Overall not bad but I would consider looking to move Portis to the Betts owner or Jacobs for a stud WR.

Rosters

-10 teams

-1QB, 2RB, 3WR/TE, 1PK, 1DEF

-15 round draft

-I've got the 10 spot.

Scoring

-6pts all TDs

-1/50yds passing

-1/20yds rush/rec

-no PPR

First year in this work league, so I figured it would be all guppies and I was right. Never taken a QB this early ever.

Here's how my team looks (draft order below).

QB - Manning

RB - Rudi, Jamal, Ahman, Chester, Norwood, K. Jones, Ch. Brown

WR - Housh, Evans, Branch, Buress, Cotchery

DEF - Miami

PK - Mare

After getting Manning, I decided I wasn't taking a backup QB b/c being a 10 team league, I could pick up a backup during Manning's bye and leave it at that. If Manning got hurt, :thumbdown: . So I was off an running with 12 straight RB/WR.

At first look it seems like I have too many RB (start 2) and not enough WR (start 3); but I just couldn't pass up the RB value that kept falling. Even if Jones never sees the field, he was worth a 12th round pick. And guys like Kennison, Porter, etc didn't get drafted.

Here's what I did:

1 - Manning

2 - Rudi

3 - Housh

4 - Evans (Wayne was available here, but Wayne was #2 on my list, so my brain shut him out thinking he was gone :X )

5 - Jamal

6 - Ahman

7 - Branch

8 - Buress

9 - Cotchery

10 - Norwood

11 - Chester Taylor

12 - Kevin Jones

13 - Chris Brown

14 - Miami

15 - Mare

One guy in my league took Manning at 1.04. Here is the team he ended up with:

1.04 Peyton Manning

2.09 Chad Johnson

3.04 Brandon Jacobs

4.09 Cadillac Williams

5.04 Fred Taylor

6.09 LaMont Jordan

7.04 Darrell Jackson

8.09 Nate Kaeding

9.04 Eli Manning

10.09 Devery Henderson

11.04 Derrick Mason

12.09 L.J. Smith

13.04 Randy McMichael

14.09 David Akers

15.04 Carolina

16.09 New Orleans

Let me add: this is the guy who won our league last year.

Our league motto for the year (said loudly many times through the draft as this guy assembled this team): "Oh what a difference a year makes!"

I had pick 8 in a 12 teamer. Went like this:

1. Manning: Wanted some separation somewhere

2. Gates: Continued with the separation

3. MJD: Can't complain about that

4. Lee Evans: Last good WR

5. Ahman Green: A pretty solid guy as RB2

After that, I just tried to load up on RB and WR, while using an early pick on Baltimore (again, another position where I have the edge.

Total RBs: MJD/Taylor(got the handcuff), Green, Rhodes and Turner (later season plays)

Total WRs: Evans, Stallworth, Muhammed, Welker, Brandon Marshall, Reggie Williams

(Kicker: Shayne Graham)

Naturally, my team gets panned. I know that it is an unconventional way of building. I even would have taken a WR in the 3rd had MJD not been there.

Plenty of ways to build a great team. I used to be a solid RB-RB guy. I do just as well building around WR and now (hopefully) around QB-TE.

I ended up taking P Manning at 2.04 and I'm not sure how my team will fair either. It is an antsports $250 redraft league with 1 qb 2-3 rb 3-4 wr 1-2 te 1 k 1 def required, ppr, .1 for 1 yard rush/rec, .1 for 2 yard pass, 6 pts rush/rec td, 4 pt pass td.

1.09 FWP

2.04 P Manning

3.09 A Gates

4.04 A Peterson (minn)

5.09 B Edwards

6.04 D Branch

7.09 J Norwood

8.04 C Taylor

9.09 R Curry

10.04 B Jones

11.09 H Miller

12.04 M Mohammed

13.09 Pitt D

14.04 S McNair

6 more rounds to go! Not sure I would do it that way again, but worth a shot to go against the grain!

Last year I went crazy and took Manning in the first round. My team stunk.

Then right before week 10, I pulled off a three-way trade, in which I essentially gave up Manning for Brady, Gore, and Burress. :thumbup: (I went on to lose in the championship game.)

I will never draft Manning in the first again. It cripples your team and I would strongly advise against it. Looking at the rosters in this thread, I think my opinion is justified.

I drafted in the dreaded 10 spot, 12 team league.

All of the elite RB's were off the board by my pick, so I had to go Manning. How did I do for the rest of the draft considering I took a QB first.

Redraft, Basic scoring, except TEs get 1 PPR. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex (RB,WR,TE), K, D.

10 TQB Colts, Indianapolis IND 6

15 RB Bush, Reggie NO 4

34 WR Williams, Roy DET 6

39 RB Peterson, Adrian MIN 5

58 TE Davis, Vernon SF 6

63 RB Norwood, Jerious ATL 8

82 WR Chambers, Chris MIA 9

87 WR Johnson, Calvin DET 6

106 WR Holmes, Santonio PIT 6

111 RB Foster, DeShaun CAR 7

130 WR Jennings, Greg GB 7

135 TQB Texans, Houston HOU 10

154 D Dolphins, Miami MIA 9

159 PK Nedney, Joe SF 6

Im in a 12 team league(redraft/ppr) scoring as followed all TD's are 6 pts and qb's get 1 pt for every 20 yrds passing, and the rushing stats are 1 pt for every 10 yards, receving stats are 1 pt for every 10 yardss.....1 pt per reception(rbs,wr,te's)

I had the 11th pick in the draft.

It went like this

1. Tomlinson

2. Jackson

3. Johnson

4. Gore

5. Westbrook

6. Alexander

7. R. Johnson

8. J. Addai

9. R. Bush

10. T. Henry

11. W. Parker

12. Maroney

12. Drew

11. Manning

So i was very pleased with how it went

in the 3rd and 4th I took R. Williams and TJ Housz, later in the draft i got A. Green, T. Bell, C. Brown,D. Foster

Wr's I got S.Holmes, Jac Jones, James Jones, K. Curtis, P. Crayton

TE's-LJ Smith, B. Watson ect

I think the teams with Manning look fine. Just because a team doesn't have two RBs that jump out at you doesn't mean it's not good.

When looking at the QBs which are typically touted to take late, they are guys who "could" emerge to have 25 TDs. Further, you have to still pick the right one or be stuck with something like last years trendy picks of Delhomme or Leftwich.

With Manning, 28-30 TDs is the FLOOR. 40+ is not out of the question. And, you are not trying to catch lightning in a bottle, as you would be with this years flavor of the day (Kitna, Young, Leinart, Rivers, Romo). One of these guys will be touted next year as a reason to wait until the 7th round for a QB. The rest will be forgotten about, as only the successes are remembered.

As an aside, there is not much difference in waiting to catch last years MJD. Someone out of Ahman, Brandon Jackson, Lynch, Bell...will be the poster child for how much value can be had later on. The rest will be forgotten.

Hey, I've got no problem with waiting on QB if the situation is right. Just don't think that this is a foolproof plan.

One of the owners I drafted with this past week took P Manning at 1.12 (14-team league, fairly esoteric scoring rules). This is how it turned out for him:

1(12) QB Manning, P

2(3) RB McGahee, W

3(12) RB McAllister, D

4(3) WR Moss, R

5(12) WR Branch, D

6(3) QB Kitna, J

7(12) RB Bell, T

8(3) WR Bennett, D

9(12) TE Crumpler, A

10(3) WR Gonzalez, A

11(12) Def Jaguars

12(3) K Akers, D

13(12) K Dawson, P

14(3) TE Shiancoe, V

15(12) Def 49ers

The guy made some bad picks (especially Moss as his WR1 and taking a backup QB so early), but those problems weren't because Manning is on his squad. Lee Evans was available for him in the 4th, and he should have taken the solid gamble that Branch would've fallen to his 6th and taken Julius Jones at 5.12 (JJ went 6.1).

Agree with Chaz a lot. FWIW, I think the OP's team will be strongly competitive, and may well have enough RB strength to deal away for a legit WR1.

I have the 3rd pick in a 12 team league and considering manning.

1 QB 1 RB 3 WR/TE 1 Flex (RB/TE/Wr) K and Def PPR and 10 pts per TD.

Any thoughts from anyone?

I too took Manning in a new 1 keeper league with my 1st pick. It definitely hurt me but I think I'll still be able to compete. I waited for a QB last year and wound up with Delhomme...I didn't want the headache at QB, I wanted someone I could plug in every week and not even worry about it. PPR/bonuses for yardage, TD's are 6. 12 team, 14 slots. I think it's interesting looking at the other posts that people tended to wind up with the same players regardless of the slot for 1st pick.

01.03 QB1 Peyton Manning

02.10 RB17 Edgerrin James

03.03 RB14 Cedric Benson

04.10 WR8 Lee Evans

05.03 RB21 Cadillac Williams

06.10 WR17 Santana Moss

07.03 RB33 LaMont Jordan

08.10 WR21 Deion Branch

09.03 WR18 Calvin Johnson

10.10 DEF9 Minnesota

11.03 TE12 Heath Miller

12.10 WR37 Ronald Curry

13.03 PK11 David Akers

14.10 QB26 Jeff Garcia

I have the 3rd pick in a 12 team league and considering manning. 1 QB 1 RB 3 WR/TE 1 Flex (RB/TE/Wr) K and Def PPR and 10 pts per TD.Any thoughts from anyone?
With LT and S Jax gone, I took Manning with the 3rd pick. Keeper league though. Posted above how it turned out.

Took Peyton with 1.11 in a redraft league ended up with this

1.11 QB Manning

2.2 WR C.Johnson

3.11 T.E. A.Gates

4.2 RB C.Portis

5.11 RB A.Green

6.2 RB J Lewis

7.11 WR D.J.Hackett

8.2 RB A.Peterson

9.11 RB L.Jordan

10.2 QB A.Smith

11.11 T.E. K.Winslow

12.2 WR B Jones

13.11 QB J.Garcia

14.2 WR M Jenkins

15.11 K.D Akers

16.2 G.B.Def

17.11 WR D.Bowe

18.2 K J.Reed

19.11 WR.L.Robinson

20.2 WR. M. Walker

I think I can compete with the RBs I have but am definatly sucking air at WR hoping I can trade a RB at some point and add another starter at WR hopefully top 20.

took manning in a 12 team redraft in the 1st in my draft maybe 2 weeks ago...

25 yards per pt, 6 pts td, .5 pts per completion, bonus for 300 yards

1.10 P. Manning

WW Jason Campbell

2.3 Ocho Cinco

3.10 Javon Walker

9.10 DJ Hackett

14.3 Troy Williamson

17.10 Reggie Williams (gonna cut him soon)

4.3 Thomas Jones

6.3 Deuce McAllister

5.10 Adrian Peterson (Min)

12.3 Julius Jones

8.3 Deangelo Williams

11.10 Jason Witten

15.10 Josh Scobee (!$% autopick took a kicker early)

7.10 Demeco Ryans

13.10 Kerry Rhodes

16.3 Ray Lew

18.3 Poz

Peyton went at 1.09 in one league, but last year Peyton outscored Kitna by 6 pts per game. In this league 4 QB's went in the first 2 rounds(thank you drafters) and I got Kitna in th 6th.

Addai

TO

Edge

AP

Norwood

Kitna

in a PPR flex redraft awhile ago, i picked from the 11 spot

1.11 Manning (only Rudi and Maroney were looking at me. Maroney hadn't yet practiced and in a PPR Rudi slips a bit)

2.02 Ronnie Brown (Rudi and Maroney were now gone. Leaving guys like McGahee, Benson, Edge, MJD, or whatever WR I wanted. Decided that Ronnie Brown showed lots of promise in part time play last year. I liked Cam Cameron taking the reins. In the subsequent weeks, that same feeling has dwindled...)

3.11 Antonio Gates (better than any WR still left)

4.02 Deuce McAllister

5.11 Julius Jones

6.02 Deion Branch (was either him or Santana Moss to choose from)

7.11 Fred Taylor

8.02 Vernon Davis (might outperform the available WRs here ie Jennings/Stallworth)

9.11 Devery Henderson

10.02 Wes Welker

overall, in retrospect, I would have taken WR at 2.02 so that Branch wouldn't be my #1. unless, of course, Ronnie Brown plays out well.

this was my first time taking a QB before round 3, and I'm not pleased with the team. probably not playoff bound unless Manning throws for 45 TDs

Not my team, but here's what the guy in my local league did with Manning at 1.09:

Manning

Grossman

Benson

Lynch

D. Williams

M. Bush

Harrison

Coles

V. Jackson

Curry

Bowe

V. Davis

LJ Smith

Rackers

Miami

Buffalo

Took Manning in the first this year, first time I think I have taken a QB before the 5th round but it was the right play. 12 team league, start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1K, 1D, ppr, 6pts Passing TDs

Manning

Owens

Housh

Portis

Galloway

Jordan

Baltimore

B Jackson

K Jones

Championship! I think the drastically undervalued RBs of Portis/K Jones make Manning and stud WRs the way to go this year.

I'd like to thank everyone who's posted a team (particularly if it wasn't theirs) so far in this thread.Looking at the teams I'm starting to conclude that if you draft Manning, you're either going to look weak at WR.... or have little to no depth at RB. Obviously i went w/ the former... and that's because i believe the depth at RB is more valuable... especially when it comes to trades.as for this:

That said, I believe the strategy was certainly warranted, but now it comes down to execution and league draft style. For me I might have gone MJD but I can see that you might have gone a back not splitting carries. I would have gone WR in the 3rd but obviously you did not know Portis would fall to you in the 4th. Overall not bad but I would consider looking to move Portis to the Betts owner or Jacobs for a stud WR.
i LOVE Jones-Drew... but i am SO heavily invested in him throughout my other leagues that i felt i had to avoid him unless he fell dramatically. After taking Manning, i felt i had to get a guy with as few ????'s as possible. That was Edge. i definately am planning on working out a trade to shore up my WR corps once the season gets going... but i don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that the guys i picked have solid seasons.Now, lets see some more teams w/ Manning drafted in the first... my hope is that someone will be able to bump this thread in December to announce that they were able to win their league despite taking a QB so early.

12 team, PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1Def 1 Flex (QB,RB,WR,TE) High Stakes League from the 9th slot

QB1 Peyton Manning Ind/6

QB11 Matt Leinart Ari/8

RB20 Cadillac Williams TB/10

RB27 Jamal Lewis Cle/7

RB35 Jerious Norwood Atl/8

RB41 Michael Pittman TB/10

RB56 Michael Bennett KC/8

RB73 Darren Sproles SD/7

WR2 Chad Johnson Cin/5

WR5 Larry Fitzgerald Ari/8

WR28 Mark Clayton Bal/8

WR51 Wes Welker NE/10

WR65 Patrick Crayton Dal/8

WR82 Brandon Jones Ten/4

WR95 Maurice Stovall TB/10

TE9 Alge Crumpler Atl/8

TE14 Bo Scaife Ten/4

PK6 Matt Stover Bal/8

PK15 Jason Hanson Det/6

DEF6 Miami Mia/9

Here's what another owner in my 14 team redraft league got w/ PM in the 1st.

Nice WRs for a 14 team league, but not great - 3rd is a flex WR/TE

Personally, I wouldn't want to go into the season w/ this roster. He'll need PM to throw 50 TDs (@ 4 pts. per) to compete most weeks. The ONLY leagues where PM is a R1 possibility are those w/ 6 pt. pass TDs. Even then I don't think I'd try this approach.

Projected Starters:

Manning, Peyton QB IND

McAllister, Deuce RB NO

Williams, DeAngelo RB CAR (D. Foster likely)

Boldin, Anquan WR ARI

Houshmandzadeh, T.J. WR CIN

Jackson, Darrell WR SF

Smith, L.J. TE PHI

Elam, Jason K DEN

Steelers, DST

Reserves:

Green, Trent QB MIA

Fargas, Justin RB OAK

Foster, DeShaun RB

Watson, Kenny RB CIN

Kennison, Eddie WR KC

Parrish, Roscoe WR BUF

Scheffler, Tony TE DEN

Nedney, Joe K SF

Packers, DST DST GB

I'm in a 6pt PTD league and was going into my draft expecting that drafting Peyton with the 9th pick in a 12 team league was a possibility. Manning actually got picked 1-8 and FWP fell in the first so my team wound up to be...

1. (9) Willie Parker RB

2. (16) Steve Smith WR

3. (33) Adrian Peterson RB

4. (40) Lee Evans WR

5. (57) Ahman Green RB

6. (64) Santana Moss WR

7. (81) DeShaun Foster RB

8. (88) Ben Roethlisberger QB

9. (105) Chris Brown RB

10. (112) Denver DEF

11. (129) Stephen Gostkowski K

12. (136) Benjamin Watson TE

13. (153) Chad Pennington QB

14. (160) Bobby Wade WR

15. (177) Bo Scaife TE

I'm pretty happy with the result and thought it would be a good idea to post it as it looks like a lot of guys got Peyton at 1-8 or 1-9.

Did my first draft of the year today (standard Yahoo league). I didn't take Manning in the 1st round...but another guy in my league did...here's his team (drafting 8 of 12...redraft):

1. (8) Peyton Manning

2. (17) Travis Henry

3. (32) Larry Fitzgerald

4. (41) Clinton Portis

5. (56) Todd Heap

6. (65) Mark Clayton

7. (80) San Diego

8. (89) Santonio Holmes

9. (104) Robbie Gould

10. (113) Chester Taylor

11. (128) Chad Pennington

12. (137) Heath Miller

13. (152) Brandon Jones

14. (161) Michael Clayton

15. (176) Minnesota

16. (185) Mike Nugent

17. (200) Chris Brown

He got lucky as Henry fell to him (I think one of the guys didn't set up his values and wasn't there for the live draft). No depth at RB and he has two of the biggest RB gambles...although I can't argue with Portis in the 4th and it could pay off. He could have had Ced. Benson or AP (Minny Man) instead of Heap at the 5th round.

I shook things up and drafted Manning in the first round this year. This is a 12 team redraft IDP league.

Scoring system:

6 pts all TDs

1 pt / 30 yards passing

1 pt / 15 yards rushing

1 pt / 10 yards receiving

Start: 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 OFlex, 1 K, 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 DB, 2 DFlex

1.05 Peyton Manning, QB

2.08 Ronnie Brown, RB

3.05 Larry Fitzgerald, WR

4.08 Andre Johnson, WR

5.05 Randy Moss, WR

6.08 Santana Moss, WR

7.05 Vernon Davis, TE

8.08 Julius Peppers, DL

9.05 Zach Thomas, LB

10.8 AJ Hawk, LB

11.5 Ladell Betts, RB

12.8 Deshaun Foster, RB

13.5 Santonio Holmes, WR ;)

14.8 Mike Turner, RB

15.5 Ernie Sims, LB

16.8 Byron Leftwich, QB ;)

17.5 Brian Dawkins, DB

18.8 Steve Gostkowski, K

My starting lineup looks like this:

QB: Peyton Manning

RB: Ronnie Brown

WR: Larry Fitzgerald

TE: Vernon Davis

K: Steven Gostkowski

OFlex: Andre Johnson

OFlex: Santana Moss

OFlex: Randy Moss / Santonio Holmes

DL: Julius Peppers

LB: Zach Thomas

DB: Brian Dawkins

DFlex: AJ Hawk

DFlex: Ernie Sims

Bench: Santonio Holmes, Ladell Betts, Deshaun Foster, Michael Turner, Byron Leftwich

If Ronnie Brown is a solid performer then I like my chances a lot. Otherwise, I have to depend on Betts. Eep.

Unlike most leagues, the scoring system does not dramatically favor RBs, so I don't feel bad about starting all WRs in the OFlex spot.

I play with my dad in two leagues. In one the scoring system is pretty boring, RBs and WRs get 4 points for 100 yards and then 1 point for every 25 after that. QBs get 2 points for the first 250 yards and then 1 point for every 25 yards. Under this system FBG actually puts Manning as the 2nd overall player.

Anyway, my dad drafted from the 4th slot in a 10 team league. His first picks were:

1. P. Manning - LT, SJ, LJ gone

2. Cedric Benson - passed on every receiver except Steve Smith

3. Adrian Peterson - passed on L. Fitzgerald, Reggie Wayne

4. Javon Walker

5. Antonio Gates (no mandatory TE, that's why he was there at the 5th round)

I don't remember the order but his next picks were Mark Clayton, Norwood, Jamal Lewis and Santonio Holmes.

His team is not so bad, definitely could have done better IMO if he had drafted a WR with his 2nd or 3rd pick. Manning will break 35 TDs no problem, but for him to really have a chance Peterson will have to finish as a top 13 RB.

I drafted #13 in a 14 team redraft league and decided to try drafting Peyton in the 1st. This is probably the weakest team I've ever had but that is partly due to 14 teams instead of 12. Probably won't ever go QB in the 1st again.

1. (13) Peyton Manning

2. (16) Ronnie Brown

3. (41) Jerious Norwood

4. (44) Lee Evans

5. (69) Ladell Betts

6. (72) LaMont Jordan

7. (97) Chester Taylor

8. (100) Chris Chambers

9. (125) Keith Bulluck

10. (128) Green Bay

11. (153) Greg Jennings

12. (156) Terrence McGee

13. (181) J.P. Losman

14. (184) A.J. Hawk

15. (209) Ted Ginn Jr.

16. (212) Eric Johnson

17. (237) Stephen Gostkowski

For some reason Chris Brown went undrafted so I dropped Ginn and picked him up. I have since also replaced Eric Johnson with Randy McMichael and have picked up Jesse Chatman and Selvin Young.

:rolleyes:

I drafted #13 in a 14 team redraft league and decided to try drafting Peyton in the 1st. This is probably the weakest team I've ever had but that is partly due to 14 teams instead of 12. Probably won't ever go QB in the 1st again.1. (13) Peyton Manning2. (16) Ronnie Brown3. (41) Jerious Norwood4. (44) Lee Evans5. (69) Ladell Betts6. (72) LaMont Jordan7. (97) Chester Taylor8. (100) Chris Chambers9. (125) Keith Bulluck10. (128) Green Bay11. (153) Greg Jennings12. (156) Terrence McGee13. (181) J.P. Losman14. (184) A.J. Hawk15. (209) Ted Ginn Jr.16. (212) Eric Johnson17. (237) Stephen GostkowskiFor some reason Chris Brown went undrafted so I dropped Ginn and picked him up. I have since also replaced Eric Johnson with Randy McMichael and have picked up Jesse Chatman and Selvin Young. :rolleyes:
Ouch... that is pretty bad offensively... looks like you got no value at the RB aside from C. Taylor.I'd be curious to know who was available at that position when you selected Brown, Norwood, Betts and Jordan.I realize it's 14 teams, but it looks like you might've been a bit impatient.

I had 12th pick in a 12-teamer and took Travis Henry and Peyton Manning at the 1.12/2.1 wrap around. In this league we start 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB, 1 WR/TE. So essentially, you're starting 3 WRs and 3 RBs, or 4 WRs and 2 RBs every week.

Here is how my starting lineup shook out and I have #1 Waiver Priority considering I picked last to add the backup RB to the first full-time starter that goes down due to injury:

QB - Peyton Manning

RB - Travis Henry

RB - Fred Taylor

WR - TJ Housmanzedah

WR - Andre Johnson

WR - Lee Evans

WR - Isaac Bruce

TE - Jason Witten

DEF - Baltimore Ravens

I bolded the Baltimore Ravens for the following reason:

The Ravens defense scored 253 fantasy points last season in my league (that should be a pretty standard number). Now, my league is not a PPR league. In this non-PPR league, Brian Westbrook was the #6 overall RB in all of fantasy last season. He scored exactly 253 points also. So, having Baltimore's defense is almost equivalent to having a top 10 RB. :fishing:

I had 12th pick in a 12-teamer and took Travis Henry and Peyton Manning at the 1.12/2.1 wrap around. In this league we start 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB, 1 WR/TE. So essentially, you're starting 3 WRs and 3 RBs, or 4 WRs and 2 RBs every week.

Here is how my starting lineup shook out and I have #1 Waiver Priority considering I picked last to add the backup RB to the first full-time starter that goes down due to injury:

QB - Peyton Manning

RB - Travis Henry

RB - Fred Taylor

WR - TJ Housmanzedah

WR - Andre Johnson

WR - Lee Evans

WR - Isaac Bruce

TE - Jason Witten

DEF - Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens defense scored 253 fantasy points last season in my league (that should be a pretty standard number). Now, my league is not a PPR league. In this non-PPR league, Brian Westbrook was the #6 overall RB in all of fantasy last season. He scored exactly 253 points also. So, having Baltimore's defense is almost equivalent to having a top 10 RB. :rolleyes:
No. But if you think so, then taking Baltimore's defense in the first round would be justified, no?

QB - Peyton Manning

RB - Travis Henry

RB - Fred Taylor

WR - TJ Housmanzedah

WR - Andre Johnson

WR - Lee Evans

WR - Isaac Bruce

TE - Jason Witten

DEF - Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens defense scored 253 fantasy points last season in my league (that should be a pretty standard number). Now, my league is not a PPR league. In this non-PPR league, Brian Westbrook was the #6 overall RB in all of fantasy last season. He scored exactly 253 points also. So, having Baltimore's defense is almost equivalent to having a top 10 RB. :rolleyes:
No. But if you think so, then taking Baltimore's defense in the first round would be justified, no?
No because you can get them in the 6th.Think of it like Antonio Gates. He is on a different level then other TEs and when taken early it affects the way your team looks at other key positions, but you get a valuable addition at a position most others receive 5 points per week from.

Last season Baltimore's defense had 253 points .... Chicago's had 212 .... not one other defense in the entire league had over 175!!!! (New England was 3rd with 173 points)

Getting Baltimore's defense is an amazing luxury in fantasy football. ;)

QB - Peyton Manning

RB - Travis Henry

RB - Fred Taylor

WR - TJ Housmanzedah

WR - Andre Johnson

WR - Lee Evans

WR - Isaac Bruce

TE - Jason Witten

DEF - Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens defense scored 253 fantasy points last season in my league (that should be a pretty standard number). Now, my league is not a PPR league. In this non-PPR league, Brian Westbrook was the #6 overall RB in all of fantasy last season. He scored exactly 253 points also. So, having Baltimore's defense is almost equivalent to having a top 10 RB. :loco:
No because you can get them in the 6th.Think of it like Antonio Gates. He is on a different level then other TEs and when taken early it affects the way your team looks at other key positions, but you get a valuable addition at a position most others receive 5 points per week from.

Last season Baltimore's defense had 253 points .... Chicago's had 212 .... not one other defense in the entire league had over 175!!!! (New England was 3rd with 173 points)

Getting Baltimore's defense is an amazing luxury in fantasy football. :loco:
Last year it was, maybe (although in my league with fairly standard DST scoring, they were actually #2 behind the Bears). What about in 2005? Having the Ravens then was not an "amazing luxury". This is the biggest problem with taking a "stud" defense.Taking Baltimore early, like taking Gates, and (to relate this to the original thread topic) like taking Manning early, sounds nice because you expect to have an advantage at that position. But you have to put it in the context of your entire roster. Is the advantage gained by taking Manning in the first, Gates in the third, and/or Balt in the sixth enough to make up for the deficits you will experience at other positions? Depending on your league setup, maybe it is but usually it isn't.

Here's what I ended up with in a 14 teamer, banzai style redraft ... 6 pt all tds, no ppr pretty standard scoring, start 1,2,3,1,1,1

Peyton Manning, QB, 1.8

Cedric Benson, RB, 2.7

Larry Fitzgerald, WR, 3.7

Carnell Williams, RB, 4.7

Santana Moss, WR, 5.8

Ahman Green, RB, 6.7

Joey Galloway, WR, 7.8

Jason Witten, TE, 8.7

Miami Dolphins, DEF, 9.8

Leon Washington, RB, 10.7

Jerry Porter, WR, 11.8

Owen Daniels, TE, 12.7

Chris Brown (TEN), RB, 13.8

Wes Welker, WR, 14.7

Jeff Garcia, QB, 15.8

Adrian Peterson (CHI), RB, 16.7

Jacoby Jones, WR, 17.8

Josh Brown, K, 18.7

Keary Colbert, WR, 19.8

by position:

QB: Peyton Manning, Jeff Garcia

RB: Cedric Benson, Cadillac Williams, Ahman Green, Leon Washington, Chris Brown (TEN)

WR: Larry Fitzgerald, Santana Moss, Joey Galloway, Jerry Porter, Wes Welker, Jacoby Jones, Keary Colbert

TE: Jason Witten, Owen Daniels

K: Josh Brown

DEF: MIAMI

In a 12 team redraft, I had the 6th pick and took Manning with some good RB's still on the board.

1. Manning QB (IND)

2. Harrison WR (IND)

3. Wayne WR (IND)

4. Green RB (HOU)

5. Williams RB (TAM)

6. Gonzalez TE (KC)

7. White RB (TEN)

8. Taylor RB (JAC)

9. Clayton WR (BAL)

10. Turner RB (SD)

11. Schaub QB (HOU)

12. Brown K (SEA)

Obviously, I have a lot riding on the Colts. But if you draft Manning in the first round, don't you already have a lot riding on that team? I figured I might as well double-down with Harrison, and then triple-down (is that a word?) with Wayne.

Not my team, but:

1.5- Manning

2.8- Harrison

3.5- Edge

4.7- Cadillac

5.5- Chicago-Def

6.7- L Jordan

7.5- T Gonzalez

8.7- Muhammad

etc......

His starting WRs are Harrison, Gonzo, & Muhammad. Aside from losing depth by taking Manning, the owner just didnt draft well. The guy obviously screwed himself worse by taking a Def in the 5th round. This is 1 team that I'd guarantee to miss the playoffs in my league.

Three years ago, start-up dynasty league, I took Culpepper and Harrison at the 10/11 turn in a 10-team league. If I'd have had some fore-sight, I could have taken Tiki and Rudi and been set at RB at the time. But Tiki hadn't yet broken out, and Rudi only had the one good 1/2 year to go on. More likely, I'd have taken Barlow and F. Taylor. Glad I did what I did. My RBs were WEAK, but over the course of the year, I scooped up Emmitt for a couple good games, and Goings for the stretch run, along with Lee Suggs and Chris Brown. With GREAT WRs -- Marvin, Rookie Roy Williams, Rookie Michael Clayton, and Moose as we've never seen him before, I made the Super Bowl, and lost by a point.

Two years ago, redraft, I took Manning at #5 in the first round. The consensus next RB at that spot, if I remember right, was McGahee, who went on to disappoint any number of owners that year. Got S. Jax in the 3rd round, and next to him made do with spare parts and WW guys (Chris Brown, K. Jones...umm....others...). I hit big with a 2nd-year Fitzgerald, a 2nd-year-in-the-big-time Gates, Rackers, and the Bears D. Made it to the Super Bowl, where I again lost by 1 point (with Manning on the bench, and Lovie resting his starters on D after promising us all week he'd play to win...grrrr....).

All of which makes me want to say:

1. Yes, you can win your league taking a QB in the first round, BUT

2. You need to hit on some later picks, AND

3. You do it if the RBs available are suspect when you pick in round 1, or at least indistinguishable over the next 10 or so

All of which makes me want to say:1. Yes, you can win your league taking a QB in the first round, BUT2. You need to hit on some later picks, AND3. You do it if the RBs available are suspect when you pick in round 1, or at least indistinguishable over the next 10 or so
Impossible to know if #2 will happen, but # 3 is what I see when I look at RBs this year after the first 10 or so. How can anyone in the world reasonably pick who's going to be best this year out of:MJDTJonesBensonEdgeR. BrownJacobsLynchCaddyAGreenMy 10-team league is RB-crazed, so I expect the first 13-15 picks to be RBs, ending with Henry, McGahee, Maroney and Bush before getting to the tier I listed above. If Manning falls to the top of the 2nd round, I will grab him and then make do with one of the guys above as my RB2.

In 10 team league I like Manning from the 9th. I actually did that myself. (see the 9th draft spot thread). In a 12 teamer, things are difficult, as evidenced by your squad. Edge as #1 RB and Branch as #1 WR scare me.

I find it hilarious how all these owners already know how your team is going to fare. So you took Peyton in the first. Why not? I did it last year and made the playoffs. I did it again this year and plan to win the whole thing.

I HATE taking chances in the first round, and when you have a later first-round pick, Manning is money. In my 10-team standard performance scoring league, here's what I wound up with, followed by round taken:

QB: Manning (1)

WR1: Reggie Wayne (3)

WR2: T.J. Houshmandzadeh (4) --- w/Deion Branch (8) and Chris Chambers (10) as backups

RB1: T. Henry (2)

RB2: Brandon Jacobs (5) --- w/Brandon Jackson (9) and Ladell Betts (11) as backups; I'm actually starting Jackson week one

TE: Vernon Davis (8)

D: Chicago (6)

K: Olindo Mare (12)

Is that really such a lousy team? I think not. But, yes, I'm higher on Brandon Jacobs than some people.

Users who are viewing this thread