What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Ingram (2 Viewers)

Wow. Lots of nervous nellies in here. It's been two games. TWO. The kid's had no off-season. He's faced two TOUGH run defenses. And Payton has telegraphed his usage.Patience.
He is obviously not an impact rookie. Good luck to those of you who have him in dynasty leagues. 3.5 fantasy points per game just doesn't cut it for me. I only keep championship-caliber players which Ingram most definitely is not.

Wow. Lots of nervous nellies in here. It's been two games. TWO. The kid's had no off-season. He's faced two TOUGH run defenses. And Payton has telegraphed his usage.Patience.
He is obviously not an impact rookie. Good luck to those of you who have him in dynasty leagues. 3.5 fantasy points per game just doesn't cut it for me. I only keep championship-caliber players which Ingram most definitely is not.
The list of rookie RB's who ended up being fantasy studs, but did nothing their first two games on the field, is long. Very long.

The list of rookie RB's who ended up being fantasy studs, but did nothing their first two games on the field, is long. Very long.
The list of rookie RB's who ended up being fantasy duds, and did nothing their first two games on the field, is long. Very long too!

It's like I'm in bizarro world or something. So many people keep talking about how strong he is, how he runs with power, blah blah blah. I just haven't seen it. He got taken down by a single tackler multiple times in the game yesterday and several times when he ran wide on short yardage plays.
Maybe some of this in traffic, but on the plays outiside of the tackles, the Bears swarmed with haste in Ingram's direction. In run defense, Lance Briggs had a JeffersonLincoln-vs-Ridgemont-High kind of game.
FYP

The list of rookie RB's who ended up being fantasy duds, and did nothing their first two games on the field, is long. Very long too!
Very true! So we should differ to you, as GreenNGold from FBG's is obviously the guy who can make the distinction between the two. :rolleyes:

After week 1 I aquired Ingram and Stafford in my league and gave up Steve Smith... I waited for a QB in the draft so week 1 I had started Josh Freeman. My WRs are mike wallace and larry fitz... MY RBs are DMC, Blount, Tolbert, and Daniel Thomas.

I know this is the wrong forum but to be talking about your fantasy roster, but I just want to stress a point. I think that if you drafted a rookie in general (like Ingram for example) and expect to start him with big points in mind, you're taking a pretty high risk. Now obviously Cam Newton makes me and my point look silly, but I doubt many people started Cam in week 1.

I would have traded steve smith for stafford straight up, but someone overreacted to Ingram's week 1 performance and gave him away. I'll gladly stash him with no particular expectations in mind. But its a gamble to throw him out there every week. I understand frustrations with having to start Ingram. Just try to go into you're matchup with a level head... the Saints and their fantasy heros are a crapshoot.

To me it's much less about the fact that Ingram is a rookie, than the fact that Payton and the Saints clearly have 3 RBs they want to keep involved. All while being a pass-heavy offense.

To me it's much less about the fact that Ingram is a rookie, than the fact that Payton and the Saints clearly have 3 RBs they want to keep involved. All while being a pass-heavy offense.
Despite that, Ingram is getting the majority of the carries and the goal-line looks. It stands to reason this offense will generate more goal-line attempts as the season goes on. Should that occur, Ingram is the likely beneficiary. As I posted yesterday, he's getting 13.5 touches per game without any receptions so far (I agree with the poster who said Payton needs to get Ingram involved in the passing game to prevent defenses from gearing up to stop the run when he's on the field). If he starts getting 15 touches per game and the goal-line looks in this offense, I think his fantasy production will rise. Again I'll say that I think he's a more talented version of BJGE. People were dropping him early last season too and then he erupted with TDs and quality yardage as the season went along in a high-powered, pass-first offense. I could see Ingram trending the same way this season.I think people will regret dropping Ingram if they make that decision. The Saints want more balance in their offense and they drafted Ingram to provide it. Unless you think Darren Sproles is going to catch 120 passes this season then it stands to reason Ingram's time will come. It's tough being patient as a fantasy owner. I get that. But I think patience will pay off for those who have Ingram.

The kid's had no off-season. He's faced two TOUGH run defenses. And Payton has telegraphed his usage.
All three of these are true. What is also true is that Ingram is a very talented guy on a very talented team that will get 1/3rd of the rushing pie (and very few targets in the receiving game). Borderline flex play. Sell in redraft - especially PPR. Hold in dynasty.

'GreenNGold said:
'packersfan said:
Ingram isn't getting 1/3 of the rushing pie. He's getting 57% of the RB carries through two games.
And approximately zero percent of the targets.
Correct so far. But I believe a RB getting the majority of the carries on a high-powered offense has good value - especially if you believe that RB has quality talent. I believe Ingram does and I believe the Saints used their first-round pick on him for a reason. That reason was to provide balance to their offense. Ingram's time will come. I believe that.

'GreenNGold said:
'packersfan said:
Ingram isn't getting 1/3 of the rushing pie. He's getting 57% of the RB carries through two games.
Correct so far. But I believe a RB getting the majority of the carries on a high-powered offense has good value - especially if you believe that RB has quality talent. I believe Ingram does and I believe the Saints used their first-round pick on him for a reason. That reason was to provide balance to their offense. Ingram's time will come. I believe that.
I hope you are right -- but at the same time other teams are finding ways to use their rookie RB's in ways that make them look good and produce right away (Miami, Washington, etc...) I know it is only 2 weeks but when the regular season is only 12-13 weeks plus playoffs, you cannot afford to be too patient either. That is the hard part, finding the right balance of when have you seen enough, and when should you be more patient? Ingram needs to show something within the next 2 weeks imo_Of course, I am talking re-draft not dynasty which I think is where a lot of the disagreements come in.

Last edited by a moderator:
'urbanhack said:
'Velveeta22 said:
'Montana said:
The kid's had no off-season. He's faced two TOUGH run defenses. And Payton has telegraphed his usage.
All three of these are true. What is also true is that Ingram is a very talented guy on a very talented team that will get 1/3rd of the rushing pie (and very few targets in the receiving game).
wrong
You know I meant touches. Point still applies.

'urbanhack said:
'Velveeta22 said:
'Montana said:
All three of these are true. What is also true is that Ingram is a very talented guy on a very talented team that will get 1/3rd of the rushing pie (and very few targets in the receiving game).
wrong
Stating percentages or fractions seems like a good way to diminish the potential here. Saints RBs have 68 (SIXTY-EIGHT!!) touches in two games. This is a great offense that is no stranger to red zone and there are touches to share.

'urbanhack said:
'Velveeta22 said:
'Montana said:
wrong
Stating percentages or fractions seems like a good way to diminish the potential here. Saints RBs have 68 (SIXTY-EIGHT!!) touches in two games. This is a great offense that is no stranger to red zone and there are touches to share.
Mark Ingram could be the guy that destroys your year in fantasy, especially if you are in ppr's.

'urbanhack said:
'Velveeta22 said:
'Montana said:
wrong
Mark Ingram could be the guy that destroys your year in fantasy, especially if you are in ppr's.
Didn't draft Ingram and not playing in a PPR, just along for the ride.

'urbanhack said:
'Velveeta22 said:
'Montana said:
wrong
Negative.Only case would be if you drafted him in the first couple of rounds and you are a donkey with the waiver wire. And the rest of your team sucks....

'urbanhack said:
'Velveeta22 said:
'Montana said:
wrong
No...actually I didn't.

'urbanhack said:
'Velveeta22 said:
'Montana said:
wrong
Negative.Only case would be if you drafted him in the first couple of rounds and you are a donkey with the waiver wire. And the rest of your team sucks....
Affirmative - if you continue to start Ingram. Negative - if you do not put him in your starting lineup. Your post reads as if you are pro-Ingram for 2011, but then discussing the waiver wire. Are you saying to bench him?

This is the week to start him. He's gone up against the two best teams in the NFC last season to start the year. Both have strong defenses lined with pro bowlers. He's not had great success. This week he finds his stride. Start him if you have him.

'urbanhack said:
'Velveeta22 said:
'Montana said:
wrong
Affirmative - if you continue to start Ingram. Negative - if you do not put him in your starting lineup. Your post reads as if you are pro-Ingram for 2011, but then discussing the waiver wire. Are you saying to bench him?
Yes, I am pro Ingram, however, I do think owners should bench him if they have better options.

'urbanhack said:
'Velveeta22 said:
'Montana said:
wrong
Yes, I am pro Ingram, however, I do think owners should bench him if they have better options.
Then we agree. :hifive: Guy has plenty of talent. Right now his value is a flex option on bye weeks and you hope he hits a td.

'Short Corner said:
It's like I'm in bizarro world or something. So many people keep talking about how strong he is, how he runs with power, blah blah blah. I just haven't seen it. He got taken down by a single tackler multiple times in the game yesterday and several times when he ran wide on short yardage plays.
Maybe some of this in traffic, but on the plays outiside of the tackles, the Bears swarmed with haste in Ingram's direction. In run defense, Lance Briggs had a JeffersonLincoln-vs-Ridgemont-High kind of game.
FYP
:wall: D'oh! Jefferson played FOR Ridgemont against Lincoln.

To me, it's buy time.

I'm seeing all the evidence I need that Ingram is going to get the lion's share of the rushes in an offense that is going to be a frequent visitor to the red zone all year.

Everything thus far says to me that his numbers are the result of randomness. This team is STILL going to be right there among the league leaders in red zone rushes, and I firmly believe Ingram is going to be the primary beneficiary.

I still like him for 10 TD's this year. Acquire with extreme prejudice. (And if you can do the same for Green-Ellis, go ahead and do that, too.)

To me, it's buy time.I'm seeing all the evidence I need that Ingram is going to get the lion's share of the rushes in an offense that is going to be a frequent visitor to the red zone all year.Everything thus far says to me that his numbers are the result of randomness. This team is STILL going to be right there among the league leaders in red zone rushes, and I firmly believe Ingram is going to be the primary beneficiary.I still like him for 10 TD's this year. Acquire with extreme prejudice. (And if you can do the same for Green-Ellis, go ahead and do that, too.)
Im Benching the Bum until further notice. No tds, no catches and a paltry 3 ypc avg... I like the kid but he has a lousy 7 points in two games.. Hes getting replaced until he can do something. I can't even trade INGRAM for Sproles in a ppr league, thats sad that Sproles has more value because he gets a few dump off passes.

This is the week to start him. He's gone up against the two best teams in the NFC last season to start the year. Both have strong defenses lined with pro bowlers. He's not had great success. This week he finds his stride. Start him if you have him.
This is my feeling as well. I am not surprised by carry distribution and haven't started him yet but will be.

To me, it's buy time.I'm seeing all the evidence I need that Ingram is going to get the lion's share of the rushes in an offense that is going to be a frequent visitor to the red zone all year.Everything thus far says to me that his numbers are the result of randomness. This team is STILL going to be right there among the league leaders in red zone rushes, and I firmly believe Ingram is going to be the primary beneficiary.I still like him for 10 TD's this year. Acquire with extreme prejudice. (And if you can do the same for Green-Ellis, go ahead and do that, too.)
Im Benching the Bum until further notice. No tds, no catches and a paltry 3 ypc avg... I like the kid but he has a lousy 7 points in two games.. Hes getting replaced until he can do something. I can't even trade INGRAM for Sproles in a ppr league, thats sad that Sproles has more value because he gets a few dump off passes.
Sproles does much more than catch passes. He's a solid RB, returner, and pass catcher. You should watch more games and not just read stat lines.

Sproles does much more than catch passes. He's a solid RB, returner, and pass catcher. You should watch more games and not just read stat lines.
Patience is a virtue. Ya'll were the same way about Blount last year. Sat his behind on my bench for most of the year than boom. Made the superbowl. I am hoping, as I did with the draft, that Ingram is peaking at bye time and beyond. Anyone who thought he'd be hitting it now was way too hopeful.

I'm with Sabertooth here...the Texans are a little bit soft up the middle right now IMO. Daniel Thomas had a nice game last week going over the century mark against us, and we looked a little suspect against the run in the preseason as well. I think this is the perfect game for Payton to put extra emphasis on getting his power running game going. FWIW, the Texans and Saints have played in the preseason the last few years and to me it looks like the Saints have pretty good success against our personnel. Granted, it's only preseason and our scheme is new but I've seen both games for each team this season and I think Ingram gets it going this week.

Sproles does a lot of things well and he's a very good 3rd down RB but he's not a solid every down RB by any stretch of the imagination

Sproles does a lot of things well and he's a very good 3rd down RB but he's not a solid every down RB by any stretch of the imagination
That's not what I was saying. I was pointing out the reasons why Sproles would be a more valuable scorer in FF this year.

I hope you are right -- but at the same time other teams are finding ways to use their rookie RB's in ways that make them look good and produce right away (Miami, Washington, etc...) I know it is only 2 weeks but when the regular season is only 12-13 weeks plus playoffs, you cannot afford to be too patient either.
What? He's a rookie RB. If you were not expecting to be patient with a rookie RB then shame on you. Besides, look at his schedule through two games. Take into consideration the light offseason. If there is ever a case to stay patient it's exactly this.

I hope you are right -- but at the same time other teams are finding ways to use their rookie RB's in ways that make them look good and produce right away (Miami, Washington, etc...) I know it is only 2 weeks but when the regular season is only 12-13 weeks plus playoffs, you cannot afford to be too patient either.
What? He's a rookie RB. If you were not expecting to be patient with a rookie RB then shame on you. Besides, look at his schedule through two games. Take into consideration the light offseason. If there is ever a case to stay patient it's exactly this.
Yes shame on me, but FBG was worshiping this guy all pre-season (and they still are), and had him ranked as the 19th RB on my cheatsheet. They never mentioned in their articles they were only high on him in dynasty only or anything like that, just this guy is a stud that is worth taking in the 2nd-3rd round because he is just that amazing. Lesson learned, but I pay FBG for their expert advice because I am not an expert, and if taking a rookie RB that early is really so obviously foolish then why were these experts pushing him so hard?Lesson learned to say the least. I will never draft a rookie RB again.I'm the laughing stock of my league right now and it is only because I listened to FBG.

As a Packer fan I was drooling during the draft as Ingram kept falling to us. The Saints traded WAY up to get this kid and my heart broke. This guy is the real deal. I got him in the 5th round this year and am still glad I did so. As many have already stated here be patient, his time is coming.

As a Packer fan I was drooling during the draft as Ingram kept falling to us. The Saints traded WAY up to get this kid and my heart broke. This guy is the real deal. I got him in the 5th round this year and am still glad I did so. As many have already stated here be patient, his time is coming.
Reggie Bush was supposed to the real deal too. We'll see. No more crowning people before they actually show they can produce at the NFL level.

Yes shame on me, but FBG was worshiping this guy all pre-season (and they still are), and had him ranked as the 19th RB on my cheatsheet. They never mentioned in their articles they were only high on him in dynasty only or anything like that, just this guy is a stud that is worth taking in the 2nd-3rd round because he is just that amazing. Lesson learned, but I pay FBG for their expert advice because I am not an expert, and if taking a rookie RB that early is really so obviously foolish then why were these experts pushing him so hard?Lesson learned to say the least. I will never draft a rookie RB again.I'm the laughing stock of my league right now and it is only because I listened to FBG.
Don't hole yourself like that based on 2 weeks of work. Swearing off rookie RBs forever because of 2 weeks of Ingram is foolish. There has been some very good rookie RB seasons in very recent history

It wasn't just FBG. If Ingram doesn't pick it up, this will go down with Steve Slaton 2009 as one of the biggest non-injury-related busts in recent memory. And despite what the experts say - and how they'll react in later weeks if Ingram ever does pick it up - there's no way they expected this dismal level of production .. or they would have said it while rating him 2-3 round. Let's be honest - yes, owners have to be patient, and yes, weeks 1-2 have been disappointing.ETA: But that's the risk you take when you chase upside IMO.

I'm the laughing stock of my league right now and it is only because I listened to FBG.
:ptts: C'mon, your team should be solid enough to not have to rely on Ingram in your starting lineup right now. I grabbed him the 3rd round of my most competitive keeper league based primarily on FBG hype and took a loss in week 1 with him in my Flex (over Sproles or Steve Smith). Benched him for week 2 and was the highest scoring team in the league. Ingram can wait on my bench for as long as he needs - He'll either pan out and help a ton during the 2nd half of the FF season and playoffs, OR he'll 'sort of' pan out and just be an occasional Flex option, OR he'll completely bomb and keep doing exactly what he's done over the first two games. I tend to think of those 3 options the last one is by far the least likely scenario so I still don't the mind the gamble on taking him considering he'll pay off huge if he does pan out. If not, then he's an occasional Flex option/bye week filler, and it's not like you're going to hit on all of your 1st-5th round picks anyway. Bottom line: He was worth the pick due to the upside. I passed up guys like Knowshon and Shonn Greene to take him, and, after 2 weeks of being useless, I'd still make the same pick.

Yes shame on me, but FBG was worshiping this guy all pre-season (and they still are), and had him ranked as the 19th RB on my cheatsheet. They never mentioned in their articles they were only high on him in dynasty only or anything like that, just this guy is a stud that is worth taking in the 2nd-3rd round because he is just that amazing. Lesson learned, but I pay FBG for their expert advice because I am not an expert, and if taking a rookie RB that early is really so obviously foolish then why were these experts pushing him so hard?Lesson learned to say the least. I will never draft a rookie RB again.

I'm the laughing stock of my league right now and it is only because I listened to FBG.
It wasn't just FBG. If Ingram doesn't pick it up, this will go down with Steve Slaton 2009 as one of the biggest non-injury-related busts in recent memory. And despite what the experts say - and how they'll react in later weeks if Ingram ever does pick it up - there's no way they expected this dismal level of production .. or they would have said it while rating him 2-3 round. Let's be honest - yes, owners have to be patient, and yes, weeks 1-2 have been disappointing.

ETA: But that's the risk you take when you chase upside IMO.
LMAO!! Bust after 2 weeks? You knew the Saints got Sproles and still had PT on the roster. Did you expect Payton to forget he had 2 other RBs and just roll with Ingram? Payton was asked about the RB situation and here is his response
Still, Payton said Monday the integration of the talented trio is, "a work in progress."

"It's something we think about a lot, too," Payton said. "If you separate Darren's role a little bit, if you start with some nickel packages and a little bit of this 'lighting' term we use where we're wanting him specifically on the field much like with Reggie. I don't want to say that's easy, but that becomes the easy part of the equation. So if we can establish that we have a package that involves Sproles both in the nickel and in the base, then I think the bigger trick is coming up with a ways between Pierre and Mark. We try to give them some semblance of a rhythm, too, maybe a couple of series at a time. That whole time there are some times and groupings that might trump whatever the rotation might be. But there's a lot of thought given to it. I don't know that there's an exact science to it because at the end of the week, typically, I'm going through (it) with (running backs Coach Bret Ingalls). I think more than anything they want to be able to see their involvement with the plan and each game kind of unfolds a little differently in regards to what you're in and what you want to be in. It's kind of a work in progress."

Yes shame on me, but FBG was worshiping this guy all pre-season (and they still are), and had him ranked as the 19th RB on my cheatsheet. They never mentioned in their articles they were only high on him in dynasty only or anything like that, just this guy is a stud that is worth taking in the 2nd-3rd round because he is just that amazing. Lesson learned, but I pay FBG for their expert advice because I am not an expert, and if taking a rookie RB that early is really so obviously foolish then why were these experts pushing him so hard?Lesson learned to say the least. I will never draft a rookie RB again.

It wasn't just FBG. If Ingram doesn't pick it up, this will go down with Steve Slaton 2009 as one of the biggest non-injury-related busts in recent memory. And despite what the experts say - and how they'll react in later weeks if Ingram ever does pick it up - there's no way they expected this dismal level of production .. or they would have said it while rating him 2-3 round. Let's be honest - yes, owners have to be patient, and yes, weeks 1-2 have been disappointing.

LMAO!! Bust after 2 weeks? You knew the Saints got Sproles and still had PT on the roster. Did you expect Payton to forget he had 2 other RBs and just roll with Ingram? Payton was asked about the RB situation and here is his response
Still, Payton said Monday the integration of the talented trio is, "a work in progress."

"It's something we think about a lot, too," Payton said. "If you separate Darren's role a little bit, if you start with some nickel packages and a little bit of this 'lighting' term we use where we're wanting him specifically on the field much like with Reggie. I don't want to say that's easy, but that becomes the easy part of the equation. So if we can establish that we have a package that involves Sproles both in the nickel and in the base, then I think the bigger trick is coming up with a ways between Pierre and Mark. We try to give them some semblance of a rhythm, too, maybe a couple of series at a time. That whole time there are some times and groupings that might trump whatever the rotation might be. But there's a lot of thought given to it. I don't know that there's an exact science to it because at the end of the week, typically, I'm going through (it) with (running backs Coach Bret Ingalls). I think more than anything they want to be able to see their involvement with the plan and each game kind of unfolds a little differently in regards to what you're in and what you want to be in. It's kind of a work in progress."

Just acquired Ingram for the price of one Daniel Thomas. Guess I'm going down with SS Ingram or riding it to fantasy glory.

One things for sure, there's a four-course buffet of crow being baked in this thread, just a matter of who does the eating. :popcorn:

I love that Ingram is such a lightning rod. Count me in as being cautiously optimistic. I am weeks away from selling in a redraft and wouldn't even consider it in a dynasty.

I don't think he's looked great, but I don't expect him to be a big yardage guy. I like him for his short yardage skills on a great offense.

Users who are viewing this thread