What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Martellus Bennett - playing musical chairs with the NFL (3 Viewers)

Giants TE Martellus Bennett insists his recent weight gain was by design in an effort to bulk up, and that his "pants size has gone down."

By "recent weight gain," we are referring to Bennett ballooning from 265 to 291 pounds. Nevertheless, Bennett conducted an interview shirtless to show off his "6 1/2 pack" abs, and claimed he was "one of the top five strongest guys on this team right now." No word yet on what kind of unicorns Bennett has been working out with this offseason. Giants TEs coach Mike Pope is on the record as saying that Bennett is "probably a little too big for his legs to carry," though coach Tom Coughlin emphasized Monday he's not overly concerned with the weight gain.
His comedy act wasn't funny in Dallas either.I'm so glad he's gone.

Cowboys fans are just dreading watching Bennett reach his potential with the Giants.

Already working harder than he ever did in Dallas...The guys seems to understand that a Blocking TE is priority and anything he can give them as a receiver is icing on the cake.

290lbs of muscle and he'll probably get that down to a shredded and athletic 275-280 by the time the season starts.

A position of weakness for the Super Bowl Champs becomes a strength !!!!

Giants waive Ballard in the hopes of signing him to the practice squad or IR him but the Pats pick him up. It mainly opens up the opportunity for Bennett to really show something and earn a longer contract. If he doesn't produce, the Giants will still have no problem parting ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Martellus Bennett diet on MartyB TV.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lP8fHN53t0&feature=relmfu

Look out Broadway.

Cowboys fans are just dreading watching Bennett reach his potential with the Giants.Already working harder than he ever did in Dallas...The guys seems to understand that a Blocking TE is priority and anything he can give them as a receiver is icing on the cake.290lbs of muscle and he'll probably get that down to a shredded and athletic 275-280 by the time the season starts.A position of weakness for the Super Bowl Champs becomes a strength !!!!
:lmao:

Don’t be surprised to see the Giants cut Martellus Bennett, and with good reason

Interesting article. I clearly remember thinking how immature Bennett was when he took so long to put his helmet on as was mentioned by the writer.
Update: As noted by Blogging the bEast’s compensatory pick expert, ct17, “1 year $2.5 million is usually 7th round value. So Bennett would cancel out Tollefson.” This would give the Giants almost no incentive to cut him to salvage the comp pick, but it would still not surprise me in the slightest to see the Giants cut Bennett simply because… well… he’s an underachiever that doesn’t look like he cares even a little bit.

Give us an article saying, "Bennett perfecting his game". I have no concerns of this man's conditioning, is his on the field play improving? Why was Dallas so willing to let him go?

Great vid. I'm about 7 minutes in and I'm really liking this drill they got him doing with the weight attached to the ball w/ a bungie.

Trainer guy says he's down to around 275 and that they're looking to get him to around 265.

Not sure how anyone can know much about Bennett's abilities. If you watch his targets most of them are TE screens or dump offs near the LOS. He didn't get much chance to get down field -- that was Witten's job.

Ok, maybe Dallas didnt showcase his abilities. But when he did get his chances he didnt take advantage of them. And he had plenty of chances.

Right now, he's an underachiever who looked lost at times on the field.

Whats gonna piss me off is when he goes for 100 and a TD in the first game!

I have confidence in the Giants ability to find talent and Dallas's ability to underachieve.

We'll see if Dallas is right and he's a bust or if the Giants are right and the guy has skills. I'd be happy if he could produce Ballard's numbers with his already great run blocking.

Bennett's past playing weight was 270. If the Giants set a goal of 265, that says to me they are looking to get as much speed and agility out of him that they can. Meaning he going to be expected to run routes, not just block.

Ok, we'll see. I'm sure you'll be squawkin if the guy has one decent game.

The reality is, Martellus had many chances to succeed in Dallas. He didnt. He's a good blocker, and a liability in the passing game.

He was learning from one of the best TE's of all time, in Witten. The guy doesnt get it.

Ok, we'll see. I'm sure you'll be squawkin if the guy has one decent game.The reality is, Martellus had many chances to succeed in Dallas. He didnt. He's a good blocker, and a liability in the passing game.He was learning from one of the best TE's of all time, in Witten. The guy doesnt get it.
I didn't get that from the piece on him. I think there's still a chance he could produce. I was all but ready to drop him in the few leagues I have him until I saw the link here in this thread. I get the impression he's trying.

Ok, we'll see. I'm sure you'll be squawkin if the guy has one decent game.The reality is, Martellus had many chances to succeed in Dallas. He didnt. He's a good blocker, and a liability in the passing game.He was learning from one of the best TE's of all time, in Witten. The guy doesnt get it.
But now he's learning from Coach Pope who is considered one of the best TE coaches in the league. It's entirely possible that Witten wasn't the mentor people make him out to be and there could be tons of other factors. Bennett may have matured and had trouble working in the Dallas environment. I'll most likely be taking him in the subscriber contest.

A lot of bias opinion without any legit facts from someone who obviously dislikes the guy. Never have seen that before on FBG. He has had very little opportunity, and since Witten is one of the best TEs of All-Time as you stated, why would they bench him to give Bennett more looks?You are not even fairly judging the kid.

A lot of bias opinion without any legit facts from someone who obviously dislikes the guy. Never have seen that before on FBG. He has had very little opportunity, and since Witten is one of the best TEs of All-Time as you stated, why would they bench him to give Bennett more looks?You are not even fairly judging the kid.
Just another Dallas fan that can't take his heart out of the equation. MB has a good chance of thriving, and the fat stuff is just proving to be a motivation. So will a new contract. Combine that with Pope and look out.

Wow, really? I've watched pretty much every Dallas game while Bennett was there. Not sure what you want for facts. Ask anyone who's watched him closely and you'll get just about the same response. Good blocker, not so much in the passing game.

Hey, I wanted the guy to succeed. Loved his athletic ability. I thought he would show progress. He didnt. Dallas got rid of him.

Then this video comes out showing how hard he's working out, and word on the street is he's gonna be a new man in NY. Then when Cowboys fans (the ones who have watched him closely) say dont hold you breath, its labeled as "bias opinion, without any legit facts". And you've never seen what before on FBG? What do you want? You want me to say he's gonna tear it up in NY, becasue obviously Dallas didnt know what to do with him?

He may very well turn it around in NY. It's possible. I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm simply going on what I saw from him on the field.

Wow, really? I've watched pretty much every Dallas game while Bennett was there. Not sure what you want for facts. Ask anyone who's watched him closely and you'll get just about the same response. Good blocker, not so much in the passing game.Hey, I wanted the guy to succeed. Loved his athletic ability. I thought he would show progress. He didnt. Dallas got rid of him. Then this video comes out showing how hard he's working out, and word on the street is he's gonna be a new man in NY. Then when Cowboys fans (the ones who have watched him closely) say dont hold you breath, its labeled as "bias opinion, without any legit facts". And you've never seen what before on FBG? What do you want? You want me to say he's gonna tear it up in NY, becasue obviously Dallas didnt know what to do with him? He may very well turn it around in NY. It's possible. I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm simply going on what I saw from him on the field.
What sort of 'progress' were you hoping to see? Gaining seven yards on a TE screen instead of six? Pushing Witten to the bench? What exactly did you want him to do that he didn't?

Wow, really? I've watched pretty much every Dallas game while Bennett was there. Not sure what you want for facts. Ask anyone who's watched him closely and you'll get just about the same response. Good blocker, not so much in the passing game.Hey, I wanted the guy to succeed. Loved his athletic ability. I thought he would show progress. He didnt. Dallas got rid of him. Then this video comes out showing how hard he's working out, and word on the street is he's gonna be a new man in NY. Then when Cowboys fans (the ones who have watched him closely) say dont hold you breath, its labeled as "bias opinion, without any legit facts". And you've never seen what before on FBG? What do you want? You want me to say he's gonna tear it up in NY, becasue obviously Dallas didnt know what to do with him? He may very well turn it around in NY. It's possible. I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm simply going on what I saw from him on the field.
What sort of 'progress' were you hoping to see? Gaining seven yards on a TE screen instead of six? Pushing Witten to the bench? What exactly did you want him to do that he didn't?
How about earning some more reps? Doesn't have to push Witten to the bench to do that.The reality is people had high hopes for him and he didn't live up to it. Most of that is on him. Certainly doesn't mean he can't turn it around, and he'll most likely put up some numbers simply by default, but that's reality- he's been a bust so far.

From the Cowboys fans I know, the expectation was that Bennett would give them the option of running a 2 TE offense that would create mismatches for defenses. Like what the Pats do now. And teams would have to honor the run with 2 TEs on the field.

He was expected to be more than a run blocker in Dallas. And for whatever reasons never became the receiving threat he was expected to be. It was never expected he'd challenge Witten for reps. Bennett was expected to be a threat like Witten on the other side of the field. His athleticism and basketball background had fans hopeful he'd be something special.

With the Giants the bar is lower, he's expected to at least duplicate Ballard's production and continue being one of the best blockers at the TE spot in the league.

He could easily bust for the Giants. For Giants fans though it is exciting because Gilbride hasn't had as athletically gifted a talent at TE since a disgruntled and injured Shockey. And Coach Pope is a highly regarded TE coach, mostly making something out of lesser talents. Though he didn't get much out of Shiancoe, so I can't claim I know where he gets the rep but that's what beat writers say.

Some of Pope's resume:

Pope has long been an outstanding tutor of tight ends. Shockey was the fifth tight end to play for Pope to make the NFL's all-rookie team, joining former Giants Zeke Mowatt, 1983; Mark Bavaro, 1985; and Howard Cross, 1989; and Cincinnati's Tony McGee in 1993. Pope is not only successful at grooming young talent, but he is also adept at guiding his veteran students to elite status. Five of his players have been selected to the Pro Bowl - Bavaro, Rodney Holman (Bengals), Ben Coates (Patriots), Stephen Alexander (Redskins) and Shockey.

Pope was a member of Bill Parcells' Giants' coaching staff from 1983-91. He left the Giants following the 1991 season and spent two years with the Cincinnati Bengals, the first as tight ends coach and the second as offensive coordinator. He joined the New England Patriots in 1994 as running backs coach before moving to tight ends coach in 1995. Pope was the Washington Redskins' tight ends coach from 1997-99. Back with the Giants since 2000.

Mike Pope TE Coach

this has become laughable. if you kept up at all with the Martellus Bennett saga at all, in Dallas, you wouldnt have posted this.

From the Cowboys fans I know, the expectation was that Bennett would give them the option of running a 2 TE offense that would create mismatches for defenses. Like what the Pats do now. And teams would have to honor the run with 2 TEs on the field.

He was expected to be more than a run blocker in Dallas. And for whatever reasons never became the receiving threat he was expected to be. It was never expected he'd challenge Witten for reps. Bennett was expected to be a threat like Witten on the other side of the field. His athleticism and basketball background had fans hopeful he'd be something special.

With the Giants the bar is lower, he's expected to at least duplicate Ballard's production and continue being one of the best blockers at the TE spot in the league.

He could easily bust for the Giants. For Giants fans though it is exciting because Gilbride hasn't had as athletically gifted a talent at TE since a disgruntled and injured Shockey. And Coach Pope is a highly regarded TE coach, mostly making something out of lesser talents. Though he didn't get much out of Shiancoe, so I can't claim I know where he gets the rep but that's what beat writers say.

Some of Pope's resume:

Pope has long been an outstanding tutor of tight ends. Shockey was the fifth tight end to play for Pope to make the NFL's all-rookie team, joining former Giants Zeke Mowatt, 1983; Mark Bavaro, 1985; and Howard Cross, 1989; and Cincinnati's Tony McGee in 1993. Pope is not only successful at grooming young talent, but he is also adept at guiding his veteran students to elite status. Five of his players have been selected to the Pro Bowl - Bavaro, Rodney Holman (Bengals), Ben Coates (Patriots), Stephen Alexander (Redskins) and Shockey.

Pope was a member of Bill Parcells' Giants' coaching staff from 1983-91. He left the Giants following the 1991 season and spent two years with the Cincinnati Bengals, the first as tight ends coach and the second as offensive coordinator. He joined the New England Patriots in 1994 as running backs coach before moving to tight ends coach in 1995. Pope was the Washington Redskins' tight ends coach from 1997-99. Back with the Giants since 2000.

Mike Pope TE Coach
Ok, I bolded the first two paragraphs because you nailed it. I think we've been splitting hairs here, and I get defensive pretty easily when giants fans throw out the "typical Cowboys fan" crap. Gets old.the giants have little risk. we'll see what he does

Some of Pope's resume:

Mike Pope TE Coach
Ok, I bolded the first two paragraphs because you nailed it. I think we've been splitting hairs here, and I get defensive pretty easily when giants fans throw out the "typical Cowboys fan" crap. Gets old.the giants have little risk. we'll see what he does
Bryant, Witten, Austin, Murray, Robinson... When did you want him to get involved?

Bennett has a nice athletic upside. He runs very well for a man his size. But he's far from a natural pass catcher. He's more effective on TE screens and other short routes because you can get him the football without the catch being the biggest focus. Anytime he goes vertical he has a tough time getting his neck around. I like that he at least attempts to catch the ball with his hands, but his hands are just not very good.

But he's far from a natural pass catcher. He's more effective on TE screens and other short routes because you can get him the football without the catch being the biggest focus. Anytime he goes vertical he has a tough time getting his neck around. I like that he at least attempts to catch the ball with his hands, but his hands are just not very good.
If he's a bust this is exactly why it'll happen. I watched his targets for 2011 and there were two or three times he had a chance to come down with a ball downfield where he didn't make the play.Could just be small sample size, or pressing. But it could be indicative of a real problem too.All I was saying is that we don't know enough to say for sure and it's too soon to write him off. Given that he was a WW not too long ago, and available for a 3rd round rookie pick now he's definitely worth a shot.

Some of Pope's resume:

Mike Pope TE Coach
Bryant, Witten, Austin, Murray, Robinson... When did you want him to get involved?
Last years offensive lineup really means nothing. Bennett has been in the league since '08. As was said above, the Cowboys run a lot of 2 TE sets. The Cowboys tried for FOUR YEARS to incorperate him into the offense. Physically, he's a beast. They wanted him to step in and be an offensive weapon. He dropped a lot of passes. He bobbled passes that were picked off. Plenty of mental mistakes. Now he's taking shots at Romo, saying he plays "favorites". Um, ok, more like he throws to guys who are going to catch the ball and guys he trusts.

Some of Pope's resume:

Mike Pope TE Coach
Last years offensive lineup really means nothing. Bennett has been in the league since '08. As was said above, the Cowboys run a lot of 2 TE sets. The Cowboys tried for FOUR YEARS to incorperate him into the offense. Physically, he's a beast. They wanted him to step in and be an offensive weapon. He dropped a lot of passes. He bobbled passes that were picked off. Plenty of mental mistakes. Now he's taking shots at Romo, saying he plays "favorites". Um, ok, more like he throws to guys who are going to catch the ball and guys he trusts.
Faith in Bennett was lost before Bryant arrived. Bennett came to the team when Cowboys fans had had enough of Roy Williams. I can't blame them on hating Bennett. It sucks when you get two underachievers so close together in a teams history. For Giants fans, it's like when Wheatley underperformed and then Dayne also crapped out. My thinking is if Ballard and Boss were able to become decent receivers for Eli then I expect Bennett to be able to do that.

I remember thinking (of Bennett), "this guy is gonna be the heir to Witten's throne". He's just so physically impressive and athletic.

I even thought, "man Witten better step it up, and get a little quicker or something". HAHA!

Us Cowboys fans were salivating at the thought of two TE sets with Witten/Bennett.

It just goes to show, theres much more to it than athletic ability.

And I so understand Giants fans' excitement. Little investment, and IF he figures out how to do more than block its all profit.

I remember thinking (of Bennett), "this guy is gonna be the heir to Witten's throne". He's just so physically impressive and athletic.I even thought, "man Witten better step it up, and get a little quicker or something". HAHA!Us Cowboys fans were salivating at the thought of two TE sets with Witten/Bennett. It just goes to show, theres much more to it than athletic ability.And I so understand Giants fans' excitement. Little investment, and IF he figures out how to do more than block its all profit.
It's just like when Shiancoe went to Minnesota. Giants fans, me included said he's a bust. He had some good years with the Vikings. I still think they overpaid but they made out better than the Raiders did with Boss. It really irked me when Shiancoe played well with the Vikes.I understand how unmet high expectations make you hate a player. Wheatley was built up to be the next Bo Jackson by my friends in Michigan. Not even close. I don't even care that he was serviceable for the Raiders.11 more days till camp starts!

Martellus Bennett said he "made weight" upon arriving at training camp.

The 6'6" Bennett made headlines back in June when his weight ballooned from 265 pounds to 291. He blamed a minor hamstring injury. "The thing that people don't realize is that I didn't run for five weeks and I was lifting weights," Bennett said. "So I kind of bulked up and I am back down. I have no worries." The raw pass-catcher is on the TE2 radar.

Source: ESPN New York

Jul 26 - 12:34 PM

They should have grabbed Dallas Clark when they had the chance.
You obviously haven't read that article I just linked where Reese discusses how important Marty's blocking will be to their run game comparing him to Howard Cross.Not to mention Dallas Clark is not what he once was regardless of whether he fits what they are trying to do in their wr based O

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/60723/reese-martellus-bennett-is-a-blocking-teSounds like they don't expect.much from Marty in the pass game. However, if you look at Ballard's #'s last year I think he should duplicate that season at the least with more potential to operate vertically which is something Reese mentioned during Sirius Training camp tour, but Graziano left out of this article
From the article
"I think he's going to really help our run game, because he's a tremendous blocker. We think he could be a good receiver, but what he gives us as a receiver is going to be a bonus. We think he can really help us get our run game going, because he's the blocking tight end that we haven't had. Jake [ballard] was an okay blocker, Bear [Pascoe] has been an okay blocker. But Martellus could be a dominating blocker, and that's what we haven't had, really for a while. We haven't had a dominating guy since, like, Howard Cross."

Bennett is more involved in the passing game this practice. Has made two good grabs, using his body to keep the defender from making a play. Eli threw him open for a TD.

Bennett is more involved in the passing game this practice. Has made two good grabs, using his body to keep the defender from making a play. Eli threw him open for a TD.
- Martellus Bennett has a big day, including a physical grab in traffic with Phillips and Rolle draped over him. I asked Coach Coughlin after practice what he thought of Bennett so far; “He made a couple plays today, its good to see him out there healthy and running.”
http://1045theteam.com/giants-training-camp-notes-729/

Giants' Martellus Bennett pushing himself after four underwhelming seasons in Dallas

By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

ALBANY, N.Y. — It was a simple exchange of pleasantries. Or at least that was the intention when a bystander asked Martellus Bennett how he was doing as he walked into the University at Albany cafeteria the other day.

“Good,” the Giants tight end said. “Except I (stink) right now.”

There are lots of folks in Dallas who, had they been there for that exchange, would have tripped over one another to deliver the punch line.

After four seasons with the Cowboys that didn’t live up to the hopes they had for the former second-round pick who wilted in Jason Witten’s shadow, Bennett signed a one-year deal with the Giants to try proving his worth as an unquestioned starter.

So far in training camp, Bennett has shown flashes of the potential the Giants still see in him.

But he’s clearly not pleased with glimpses. For as much as he had a reputation in Dallas for being an underachiever, Bennett has been working hard in practice and is even harder on himself in assessing his performance.

If he’s about to have a disappointing season, it appears it won’t be for lack of effort, desire or objective self-criticism.

“I just felt like I (stunk) right then. I could have been improving,” he said of his exchange with the well-wisher. “I could always use the word ‘improving’ because every day I improve in something. The other day, I had a really good practice. I’m just working, try to feel it out.

“Sometimes they tell me I’m going way, way too hard. I’m an intense person even though everybody is used to me being super-goofy.”

That’s a good way of describing Bennett’s exchanges with reporters in recent weeks, such as:

• Using his arrival day at camp to say he hates pretty much everyone, not just the Cowboys, and he’s “kind of a (mean person)”;

• Talking about how polar bears aren’t nearly as nice as they appear on Coca-Cola commercials and how mother panda bears sometimes abandon their cubs;

• Nicknaming himself “The Black Unicorn” because of his size and speed;

• After catching a screen pass and, as he jogged back to the huddle and past the media, saying, “Now you can write about the speed.”

But between the lines and whistles, Bennett has been all business.

“Every day is an important day for his development and the rest of them (at tight end),” head coach Tom Coughlin said. “Some of the young guys will make a mistake now and then, though not many by Bennett anymore.”

Part of the reason is Bennett has had solid communication with Eli Manning since he got here.

First, the “super-goofy” explanation of what’s going on there.

“It’s not like sometimes, with the wife, you never know what she wants,” Bennett said. “You’ll be like, ‘Well, do you want steak?’ And she’ll be like, ‘No, I don’t want steak.’ Eli knows if he wants chicken or steak. I’ll come back (and say), ‘Did you like that?’ ‘No, I didn’t like that.’ So the next time I do it, I just do it the way he likes it.“

And now, quarterbacks coach Sean Ryan with a more standard rundown.

“He’s very clear with those guys. He puts it in a way that’s understandable to the players,” Ryan said of Manning. “He’s definitely done that with Martellus — Martellus being new to the system — constantly reinforcing what Martellus is being coached on.”

Bennett is working hard to make such corrections, both in his routes and his footwork. Sometimes, he works too hard for defensive players’ liking, as Mathias Kiwanuka’s getting in his face recently showed.

“It’s hard when you’re drive blocking and guys go down to the ground,” Bennett said. “Everybody gets mad at you but I’m just trying to do my job. You get in my grill, I get in your grill.”

And sometimes in his own grill.

“Every part of my game needs to get better,” Bennett said. “I’m just trying to become a perfectionist in everything I do.”

a nice start to the preseason for the black unicorn. that was a great grab for the TD tonight, had to spin around and adjust to the ball - a thing of beauty. had a couple other catches and his patented blocking was on display... :popcorn:

a nice start to the preseason for the black unicorn. that was a great grab for the TD tonight, had to spin around and adjust to the ball - a thing of beauty. had a couple other catches and his patented blocking was on display... :popcorn:
:goodposting: He didn't catch the ball, he snatched it out of the air. I was impressed with how quick his hands were.12yd TD catch

:goodposting: He didn't catch the ball, he snatched it out of the air. I was impressed with how quick his hands were.12yd TD catch
Yeah that was a great catch on a horrible throw.

Users who are viewing this thread