What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (9 Viewers)

I know Fiege has been stumping for the Eternals for awhile now.  I just don't get it.  I am sure they will translate better to the big screen but, to me, hey were singularly uninteresting in comics form.  I would be disappointed if Marvel went off into a space focused direction with the action taking place in multiverses and lose focus on Earth.

I know Fiege has been stumping for the Eternals for awhile now.  I just don't get it.  I am sure they will translate better to the big screen but, to me, hey were singularly uninteresting in comics form.  I would be disappointed if Marvel went off into a space focused direction with the action taking place in multiverses and lose focus on Earth.
Yeah, I don't remember them at all. Maybe they were after I was an avid reader.

I assume an Adam Warlock film is in the works in some capacity.

I believe he was looking at using them as a stand-in for mutants since they didn't own the rights.  I think now that Marvel/Disney has those rights the Eternals will fade into the background.

Yeah, I don't remember them at all. Maybe they were after I was an avid reader.

I assume an Adam Warlock film is in the works in some capacity.
I presume Adam Warlock will be featured in GotG3 as he was introduced in GotG2.

Not sure he deserves a standalone project at this point considering it looks like he wasn't involved in the Thanos stories in the least (unless they bring him in for End Game which seems unlikely).

For those that never followed in the comics: Adam Warlock and Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell not Carol Danvers)  frequently locked horns with Thanos in the late 70s early 80s comics. In fact Warlock "killed" Thanos when he first attempted to destroy all life in the Universe using the Cosmic Cube (Space Stone).

Back then Warlock carried the Soul Stone and even though Warlock was killed his soul was absorbed by the Stone. He eventually returned from the Stone, only transiently, to defeat Thanos.

As Adam Warlock hasn't been involved to this point, and with the Soul Stone otherwise occupied it seems unlikely he will appear in End Game but my running theory since Infinity War is they will use the "return from the Soul Stone" aspect of those comics stories and it will ultimately be Gamora who is called from the Soul Stone and finishes Thanos.

I believe he was looking at using them as a stand-in for mutants since they didn't own the rights.  I think now that Marvel/Disney has those rights the Eternals will fade into the background.
One can hope but I think Feige did a fairly recent interview where he seemed pretty pumped for the Eternals.

Speaking of the X-Men how in the world will Disney handle that? It's already a very successful eight movie(?) franchise with...three actors (Jackman, McAvoy and Fassbender) who are entrenched in the public's mind as being those characters (obviously Stewart and McKellan too but the audiences surely understand the age issues).

At least with Fantastic Four they can reboot no problem as the previous film was so entirely forgettable (and terrible) even having a cast with some real potential. And the films before that we're mediocre and far removed.

So do they reboot X-Men entirely? Try to weave in those actors, which means bringing along some of their storylines? What about Quicksilver then? I thought the X-Men treatment of him was far superior (and far more hilarious) than the Age of Ultron version.

So many questions!

Speaking of the X-Men how in the world will Disney handle that? It's already a very successful eight movie(?) franchise with...three actors (Jackman, McAvoy and Fassbender) who are entrenched in the public's mind as being those characters (obviously Stewart and McKellan too but the audiences surely understand the age issues).

At least with Fantastic Four they can reboot no problem as the previous film was so entirely forgettable (and terrible) even having a cast with some real potential. And the films before that we're mediocre and far removed.

So do they reboot X-Men entirely? Try to weave in those actors, which means bringing along some of their storylines? What about Quicksilver then? I thought the X-Men treatment of him was far superior (and far more hilarious) than the Age of Ultron version.

So many questions!

Definitely want a F4 film real soon-like. Funny how the Johnny Storms from both F4 attempts staked their own claims as awesome characters in the MCU. 

As for X-Men, I would hope they'd let a couple of years pass before bringing back an official reboot film, but I'm sure the $$ in their eyes will likely scuttle that notion.

What they could/should do--if only Kevin Feige would listen to me--is hold off a couple of years on an X-Men standalone and either (a) rehire the cast (or the good actors, anyway) from the current X-Men franchise, or (b)recast entirely to transition the X-Men into the MCU via a SECRET WARS Trilogy. Release one SW film every holiday season, like LOTR, and leave spring/summer to the standalone films of characters who didn't get picked to go to Battleworld; those characters can be stuck on Earth or other parts of the galaxy getting into their own adventures. 

So many questions!
Was talking about this the other day with a coworker. 

X-Men will be difficult with major characters tied to significant historical events (like Magneto and the holocaust) leading to the whole "they were here the whole time" angle. But maybe the reality and mind stones can be used to alter history and reveal the mutants?  

I actually liked the AoU Quicksilver better but did like both.

How about this:  The FF could be getting their powers at the time of the Thanos snap.  Being caught in the cosmic shower somehow shielded them from being thanos'd.  Yes similar to Lang at the end of Ant Man and the Wasp, but why not?    As with Captain Marvel or even Cap 1, its set the beginning of the movie in the past and then cut to whenever the year the movie is released... They finally return to Earth having learned to use their powers and come into contact with whichever MCU character fits... Now you have Dr Doom and can lead to Silver Surfer and maybe Galactus.  First issue would be when you get this ready for release.  3-4 years after the snap may make it not fit.  But who knows?

So many questions!
Despite wolverine being my favorite character growing up, I hope they go with the lesser knowns first.

Quicksiler was more accurate in the MARVEL version as his character is supposed to be just an arrogant, gruff ****.......but the X-MEN version was cooler/used better. 

I know Ghost Rider was in Agents of Shield (and I liked how they did it), but would love a movie treatment.  

And Silver Surfer.

What about Namor the Sub-Mariner?  Damn so many characters they could bring in.  Do they even need to do X-Men?

I know Ghost Rider was in Agents of Shield (and I liked how they did it), but would love a movie treatment.  

And Silver Surfer.

What about Namor the Sub-Mariner?  Damn so many characters they could bring in.  Do they even need to do X-Men?
Need is a strong word and the answer is No, they don't need them.  But before the movies the X-Men were the dominant franchise in Marvel and it really wasn't close. The fan base is there and is too big to be ignored.

I would also argue that it was actually the original X-Men movie (2000) and the two sequels (2003 & 2006) that blazed the trail for the dominance of super hero films we see today. Without them I'm not sure we get the same Iron Man in 2008.

The X-Men are as deeply and fundamentally tied into the Marvel Universe as Batman and Superman are to DC (which is why they get about a thousand movies for every one other DC hero movie). Seriously, where is the real Green Lantern project? If Fox can make Nightcrawler into a positive bad ##$ back in 2003 then there must be someone, somewhere with the creativity to overcome hot wheels in 2019.

Everyone loves the Surfer and I'm no different but he does speak to my concern that the MCU is leading away from Earth into some of the bizarre realms frequented by conventional Surfer storylines. 

And Silver Surfer.

Namor? He's cool I guess but I never got over his stupid wing feet. Plus, he's pretty much an ####$$$!

Now the Inhumans, IMO, deserve another run in the MCU. They crossover all types of Marvel storylines from Avengers to FF to X-Men etc. 

And what about Deadpool? I can't possibly imagine bringing him into the MCU proper, there just isn't a.way to reconcile PG-13 with the R ratings that both fan bases expect, but I love the hilarity that would definitely ensue if they pulled it off.

And Colossus is definitely Russian.

Chaka said:

So many questions!
I know they did away with Quiksilver but they would do well to steal the Fox versions actor and roll him out as one of the faces to see. He stole each movie he was in.

Captain Marvel received her powers via absorbing energy from the space stone.  So she’s a super-tier hero on par with Thor, Hulk, etc.  and everyone is all “she’s overpowered since she powered from an infinity stone.”  But Scarlet Witch was powered from the mind stone and Vision had the damn thing in his head.  She was able to hold off Thanks for a while but he was just ##### slapped by Thanos.  So how is she so much more (apparently) powerful than them?

Captain Marvel received her powers via absorbing energy from the space stone.  So she’s a super-tier hero on par with Thor, Hulk, etc.  and everyone is all “she’s overpowered since she powered from an infinity stone.”  But Scarlet Witch was powered from the mind stone and Vision had the damn thing in his head.  She was able to hold off Thanks for a while but he was just ##### slapped by Thanos.  So how is she so much more (apparently) powerful than them?
She also wiped the floor with Vision in Civil War.

She's very powerful but she confidence in her ability to maintain control. And if she ever loses control watch out.

Google "House of M".

She also wiped the floor with Vision in Civil War.

She's very powerful but she confidence in her ability to maintain control. And if she ever loses control watch out.

Google "House of M".
That’s true - I forgot about her mandlandling Vision in CW.  

Man I’m ready for Endgame to get here.  I hope it’s as good as I’m thinking it will be. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm the only person that liked the last Fantastic 4? Why does it get suck a bad wrap? Only issue was a neutered Doom. 

Chaka said:
Everyone loves the Surfer and I'm no different but he does speak to my concern that the MCU is leading away from Earth into some of the bizarre realms frequented by conventional Surfer storylines. 
I don't love Silver Surfer. Don't really like him at all actually. 

And what about Deadpool? I can't possibly imagine bringing him into the MCU proper, there just isn't a.way to reconcile PG-13 with the R ratings that both fan bases expect, but I love the hilarity that would definitely ensue if they pulled it off.

And Colossus is definitely Russian.
The Black Widow movie is reportedly going to be R, so maybe Deadpool can be too?  But to your point, I don't see him crossing over with Spidey in a R rated story line.

Chaka said:
You arent wrong. Was just thinking he could lead to a large enough overriding villian (Galactus) , plus he does cross paths with FF/Doom, Hulk, Spidey, SHIELD, Inhumans, Thor/Loki and I think he and Namor were Defenders at one time

Chaka said:
Namor? He's cool I guess but I never got over his stupid wing feet. Plus, he's pretty much an ####$$$!
Oh I know, but he is a big name, and someone we haven't seen.

So I'm the only person that liked the last Fantastic 4? Why does it get suck a bad wrap? Only issue was a neutered Doom. 
I didn't mind the 3 movies.  Will watch parts when they are on TV.  Similar to Spideys 5 versions before Homecoming.  I think they can do better in the casting though.

Silver Surfer is basically just Ice Man but in space, right?
What? No. 

What? 

SS is a former Herald of Galactus, all of whom are cosmic-level entities (on par with Thor). He's got Hulk-level strength and endurance, can travel at faster-than-light speeds on his board, and wields the power cosmic (sort of like space magic because he can do lots of different things with it). 

The only problem with Galactus would be him coming across like the villian in Green Lantern or Dormamu in Dr Strange.  Not sure you can adequately convey his size and strength in the movie.

Chaka said:
Since you already have GotG, you could wrap this into some of their stuff.  Depending on what happens with 3, you could move on to Groot,  Silver Surfer, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Adam Warlock, Beta Ray Bill, and Star-Lord.....

Are you talking about the 2nd Jessica Alba movie or the atrocity they threw together in 2015 to save the license for Fox?

The only problem with Galactus would be him coming across like the villian in Green Lantern or Dormamu in Dr Strange.  Not sure you can adequately convey his size and strength in the movie.

Since you already have GotG, you could wrap this into some of their stuff.  Depending on what happens with 3, you could move on to Groot,  Silver Surfer, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Adam Warlock, Beta Ray Bill, and Star-Lord.....

The Surfer fits squarely into that space and it's a good vehicle to get to the Fantastic Four as well.  Galactus is a tough nut to crack, I didn't hate Dormamu in Dr. Strange and his presentation made sense.  The presentation of Galactus seems like a tough nut to crack, one that they failed miserably to crack in Rise of the SS.  Put him in his armor and he's just bigger Thanos (to the MCU only people), make him as cosmic as he really is and you risk another RotSS scenario.

And Beta Ray Bill????  I think I would rather see Feige make an MCU version of Bill Nye the Science Guy.

What? No. 

What? 

SS is a former Herald of Galactus, all of whom are cosmic-level entities (on par with Thor). He's got Hulk-level strength and endurance, can travel at faster-than-light speeds on his board, and wields the power cosmic (sort of like space magic because he can do lots of different things with it). 
OK, but Iceman slides along the ice, which has very little friction.  I mean, faster than light?  No, but he can go pretty fast, especially if he starts up high.

Also, he can do tons of stuff with ice, not just make cool ice highways.  Like, he can freeze people, shoot hail at people, make ice daggers and ice glasses, etc.  It's not cosmic but it's a pretty versatile power.

OK, but Iceman slides along the ice, which has very little friction.  I mean, faster than light?  No, but he can go pretty fast, especially if he starts up high.

Also, he can do tons of stuff with ice, not just make cool ice highways.  Like, he can freeze people, shoot hail at people, make ice daggers and ice glasses, etc.  It's not cosmic but it's a pretty versatile power.
Big fan of Iceman so I completely agree.

Are you talking about the 2nd Jessica Alba movie or the atrocity they threw together in 2015 to save the license for Fox?
The atrocity! I liked it! Only thing I didn't like was how they dealt with Doom. I really enjoyed the rest of it and wished they made a follow-up. 

The Surfer fits squarely into that space and it's a good vehicle to get to the Fantastic Four as well.  Galactus is a tough nut to crack, I didn't hate Dormamu in Dr. Strange and his presentation made sense.  The presentation of Galactus seems like a tough nut to crack, one that they failed miserably to crack in Rise of the SS.  Put him in his armor and he's just bigger Thanos (to the MCU only people), make him as cosmic as he really is and you risk another RotSS scenario.

And Beta Ray Bill????  I think I would rather see Feige make an MCU version of Bill Nye the Science Guy.
I left him in there because I thought we was mentioned already (post credit of GotG2?)  Could be wrong, if so cross him off. lol

I agree with the rest.

The atrocity! I liked it! Only thing I didn't like was how they dealt with Doom. I really enjoyed the rest of it and wished they made a follow-up. 
It was a disjointed mess. They spent more than half the film building up to who they are and how they get their powers and then they just do a time skip to the end where they have to stop X from happening but they never really explain why. All the while they have the most uninteresting takes on the characters portrayed on screen. The Alba movies were 100x better than that mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I left him in there because I thought we was mentioned already (post credit of GotG2?)  Could be wrong, if so cross him off. lol

I agree with the rest.
Was he?  I know they previewed Adam Warlock in the post credit scenes of GotG2 but don't recall BRB.

I agree with the rest.
Turns out there is a statue of BRB on Sakaar that can be seen briefly in Thor Ragnarok (apparently he was a Champion of Sakaar) and was initially scheduled for a larger role but they eventually went with Hulk instead (good move).  Feige says BRB will appear at some point in the future.

Stormbreaker, Thor's new hammer in Infinity War was actually the hammer created for BRB by Odin in the comics.

The power cosmic has allowed SS to do things like fire blasts of energy powerful enough to destroy planets, transmute matter, restructure molecules, phase through objects, see through time, affect the genetics of living things, etc. It's a little more versatile. 

The power cosmic has allowed SS to do things like fire blasts of energy powerful enough to destroy planets, transmute matter, restructure molecules, phase through objects, see through time, affect the genetics of living things, etc. It's a little more versatile. 
Transmute matter and see through time?  Seems a little far fetched.  Are you sure he can do both of those things?

Actually, Bobby is a very powerful mutant and his full power wasn't realized until the Emma Frost took over his body. He can control water at the molecular level.

Users who are viewing this thread