What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (17 Viewers)

I don't get the negativity. I thought the middle was a bit slow, but overall it was a good movie. Probably the best of p4 movies. Certainly near the top. Majors was fantastic and this setup the future movies very well.
I'm not sure why this one is getting panned in here. I liked it a lot - and what's coming in the multi-verse saga is laid out well.

The only thing that I didn't like was Ant-Man being able to go blow for blow with Kang at the end (but I justified that in my head as Kang just toying with Scott). I mean if he's really the next big bad, it should have taken 3 seconds to kill Ant-Man.
It isn't clear this Kang is the big bad. Other versions could be more powerful. Also I think his suit was damaged at this point.
And this right here is why this whole Multiverse is so stupid. Nothing is at stake anymore. Kang has already been "defeated" two times and now we see there are infinite more versions of him. Dumb

It’s sort of the same thing as the multiple iterations of characters. Except they can all tie together in a way now.

I never read comics at all, but somehow my favorite superheroes growing up were Batman, Superman, Spiderman, and Ironman. Through Spiderman I got into Xmen. I was aware of Captain America somehow.

ETA: And of course the Hulk as well. But I never knew he was supposed to be one of the strongest beings in the universe etc. Just a strong angry guy from the show.

Last edited:
I ended up seeing Quantumania because I have a Regal Unlimited pass, but count me as another one that's just completely over the multiverse stuff.

2 out of 5 stars for me, and that's even with me being a huge Paul Rudd fan to begin with

the superheros i knew growing up were first superman two that crapturd batman and three gi joe take that to the bank brohans

Yeah they struck gold with the Avengers and Thanos sagas, but we're starting to see why these are the second tier superheros imo. They would do well to get around to focusing on Spidey and X-Men and stop with all the save the universe and multiversal stuff.

Yeah they struck gold with the Avengers and Thanos sagas, but we're starting to see why these are the second tier superheros imo. They would do well to get around to focusing on Spidey and X-Men and stop with all the save the universe and multiversal stuff.
They are squeezing the life out of the golden goose that is for sure. How long can they keep it up?

Iron Man and Thor weren't the most popular super heros and now they are because of great films. Marvel doesn't seem to have any interest in making great films anymore. This is Marvel capitalizing on their early success and pumping out as much content as fast as possible to make as much money as possible and if they happen to stumble into a great film then even better, but they have no urgency to do so.

They are still blocked from doin any X-men stuff unless they stick with the previous cast.

They are still blocked from doin any X-men stuff unless they stick with the previous cast.
I thought they now had the rights to X-Men and FF in the same way they have SpiderMan. I’m not that on top of it though.
Disney owns the rights to X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool. They can use what ever characters or actors they want.

Jackman is suiting up one more time as Wolverine to join Deadpool 3.

I thought they now had the rights to X-Men and FF in the same way they have SpiderMan. I’m not that on top of it though.
Disney owns the rights to X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool. They can use what ever characters or actors they want.

Jackman is suiting up one more time as Wolverine to join Deadpool 3.
It was never confirmed, but widely rumored that they are bound by a contract to the original actors until 2025

I thought antman was alright, I like scifi and like the multiverse concept, my problem with the movie was lack of character development and poor writing in general.

Michelle Pfeiffer's character was the absolute worst.

She kept saying how she did not want to talk about the quantum realm and kang, however that does not make sense at all. The entire group is used to fighting evil villains. She would have not kept that secret at all. How am I to believe that a scientist husband/wife that specialized in quantum research would not have talked about it at in those years since she came back. I can suspend belief when it comes to multiverse, flying powers, etc, however they need to make sure the human interactions make sense.

Plus once they are down there she is still keeping it secret when it would have taken as much time for her to explain the problem as it took her to say "i can't talk about it" 10 times.

Her character in this movie was the absolute worst. So much so that it needs said twice.

I have many more complaints about the writing/story. I am worried that marvel will interpret the low reviews the wrong way. I hope they don't think the multiverse/quantum realm is the reason the movie was average and instead they need to realize it was poorly written.

I want strange far off concepts with good writing.

I have high hopes for "Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves". Maybe the Forgotten realms universe can displace marvel as the fantasy universe of choice. They need to nail the writing though.

Sort of disappointed to see a lot of the MCU is being delayed, but it makes sense as many of us are having superhero fatigue. Hopefully they improve the writing and are able to keep things interesting. But it seems highly unlikely for them to repeat the success of the first three phases.

Secret Invasion trailer looks awesome. But I need some explanation on what kind of his happening and who it who:

Agreed, this trailer has me more excited than any movie they've put out in quite awhile. Looks really good.

I thought antman was alright, I like scifi and like the multiverse concept, my problem with the movie was lack of character development and poor writing in general.

She kept saying how she did not want to talk about the quantum realm and kang, however that does not make sense at all. The entire group is used to fighting evil villains. She would have not kept that secret at all. How am I to believe that a scientist husband/wife that specialized in quantum research would not have talked about it at in those years since she came back. I can suspend belief when it comes to multiverse, flying powers, etc, however they need to make sure the human interactions make sense.

Plus once they are down there she is still keeping it secret when it would have taken as much time for her to explain the problem as it took her to say "i can't talk about it" 10 times.

Her character in this movie was the absolute worst. So much so that it needs said twice.

I have many more complaints about the writing/story. I am worried that marvel will interpret the low reviews the wrong way. I hope they don't think the multiverse/quantum realm is the reason the movie was average and instead they need to realize it was poorly written.

I have high hopes for "Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves". Maybe the Forgotten realms universe can displace marvel as the fantasy universe of choice. They need to nail the writing though.
It won't replace Marvel, but I really enjoyed the D&D movie. Not sure it did enough box office to spawn a franchise, it was just south of $40MM.

It won't replace Marvel, but I really enjoyed the D&D movie. Not sure it did enough box office to spawn a franchise, it was just south of $40MM.
I’ve heard good things about it and it’s up to 70 with international but it cost $150 before marketing so it will need some legs.

We just got back from the movie. My whole family loved it. We rated it the second best MCU movie in the post Infinity stone arc, after only Spider Man No Way Home.

We thought it was significantly better than GOTG 2 but for us falls a little short of #1 since it is hard to recreate the initial magic.

Just got back from Guardians. Will type more later but it was fantastic! I think people here will like it more than the last couple of outings.
Yeah its great fun. Ties things up nicely. Great back story into Rocket.
Only downside was the acting from the High Evolutionary - way too 2 dimensional.

First Marvel movie with a F bomb?
The entire theater gasped when it happened. Totally agree on the High Evo. He could have been a really good big bad but they underplayed his powers. The acting job was not great (not bad, but really average). I thought the emotional plotlines they had with the established characters throughout was great though and didn't need an awesome big bad.

Just got back from Guardians. Will type more later but it was fantastic! I think people here will like it more than the last couple of outings.
I loved it. I will need to watch several times before I really commit to this, but I think it is my favorite of the trilogy
It was really good. I still rank the first the best but it was easily the 2nd best. I told my son that when combined with the holiday special, they didn't have a miss in their specific outings. Their story-centric movies were the best, probably followed by Spider-man then Captain America. Ironman was great but 2 and 3 were just average. Thor 2 and 4 are among the lowest rated Marvel movies outside of the Eternals.

We just got back from the movie. My whole family loved it. We rated it the second best MCU movie in the post Infinity stone arc, after only Spider Man No Way Home.

We thought it was significantly better than GOTG 2 but for us falls a little short of #1 since it is hard to recreate the initial magic.
In total agreement

Wow what a good movie.

I think it may be my sendoff from the MCU as well. I loved the Guardians franchise. Save another giant ensemble arc, I don't see myself watching another in the theaters.

This was pitch perfect though.

Oh ****, I just watched the after scene. Mayhap I speak too soon!

Wow what a good movie.

I think it may be my sendoff from the MCU as well. I loved the Guardians franchise. Save another giant ensemble arc, I don't see myself watching another in the theaters.

I may actually go watch this in the theater then.

Wow what a good movie.

A whole movie about Quill trying to get his grandpa's step son to mow the lawn would be pure gold for Marvel.

Wow what a good movie.

Finally another movie that belongs in Tier 1. Possibly on par with winter soldier, GotG1, IW and EndGame.

Last edited:
So much better than the **** that’s been rolled out in the new phase. I don’t which phase is which but since End Game there have been a lot of frankly mediocre to bad movies with a lot of characters who most of us don’t really care if we see again. I loved GotG (2 was a drop from 1) and this one was right up there with the first.

Not sure what Marvel was doing with the new phase but they just didn’t have the right characters and probably focused on too many things that have nothing to do with making a good movie. This, like the latest Spider-Man just brought us back to good characters and a good movie.

I liked GotG. Better than most of the other post-Endgame MCU movies, with the exception of probably Spider-Man and maybe Dr. Strange (I liked Dr. Strange). It was better than the second and I do think the audience response is in some ways a reflection of the quality of the product Marvel has been putting out lately. In another phase this might be considered an average Marvel release.

Notice how the end credits scenes have been throwaway scenes for the most part lately? I get a sense that they really don't have a good idea what they are building towards. Seems like they were planning to do the multiverse Kang thing like they Thanos thing, but it's sure not exciting people the way Avengers did. I wonder if they're rethinking things.

On a side note, I also saw D&D over the weekend. I actually would put it on par with GotG 3 in terms of movie experience, maybe even a little higher.

Guardians has been my favorite marvel movies - I went with my family and all I can say it was nothing like I expected. The first 2 were essentially comedies with some drama/action thrown in. This was a dark movie that was intense. To be honest I didnt know what to think - I initially didnt like it as much as they went away from the original formula but as I digest more and read more reviews/takes on it the more I appreciate the approach. I will definitely need to see it again. Regardless, by far the best Marvel offering since End Game IMO - go see itl

Finally got to the theater to see Guardians yesterday, loved it. The animal experimentation stuff was a little tough for the wife, but she can't even watch those adopt-a-pet commercials when they come on. What's amazing to me about Guardians is how I got choked up a couple of times about pretend sentient raccoons and otters and trees and stuff. Wife isn't much of a Marvel fan and sure doesn't know the overarching universe(s), but even she got choked up once or twice. Speaks to the good writing and character development they've done over these three movies and their roles throughout phase 3. Looking forward to it coming out on D+ so I can rewatch a couple of times.

Disney Dates New ‘Star Wars’ Movie, Shifts ‘Deadpool 3’ and Entire Marvel Slate, Delays ‘Avatar’ Sequels Through 2031

Other changes include a massive Marvel reshuffling. “Captain America: Brave New World” is moving from May 3, 2024, to July 26, 2024, which in turn is delaying “Thunderbolts” to Dec. 20, 2024, “Blade” to Feb. 14, 2025, and “Fantastic Four” to May 2, 2025. “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty” is getting pushed back an entire year, from May 2, 2025, to May 1, 2026. It’s taking the place of “Avengers: Secret Wars,” which is jumping from May 1, 2026, to May 7, 2027.

Wasn't it announced recently that they wanted to get back to quality not quantity? Had to do with the reception Phase 4 received?? Or whatever phase just finished.
The push back isn't surprising based on that and the writer's strike.

Users who are viewing this thread