What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mathews vs. Woodhead - the San Diego backfield (1 Viewer)

Don't be dense. His fantasy football draft position this year is all that matters - not his NFL draft selection 4 years ago. While mine was anecdotal it was representative of his actual ADP this year. The point obviously was that anyone who drafted him probably took him in the 5th round (at about RB24) where he has more than justified the draft pick.
... and Woodhead?
If you're too lazy to look it up yourself, I'm not going to do your work for you. They have both obviously outperformed their ADPs, although Mathews is clearly overtaking some of Woodhead's snaps as the season progresses.

I'm bitter that it cost two high draft picks to land a glorified RBBC back, yes. Which coaches should I direct that bitterness towards? Apparently two completely different coaching staffs have been intentionally hurting their own careers by punishing Mathews by making him share the load when we all know he would be a beast if they would just give him the rock! Maybe some people think I should be bitter at the coaches because they wanted him to be injury/fumble prone, but I don't understand that line of thinking either.I don't even dislike Mathews to be honest, I dislike the over inflated opinion so many people have of him... most importantly AJ Smith's over inflated opinion of him.

BTW I think you may want to be careful with the "meager work load" and "100 yard games" shtick in the same sentence. If it takes 29 rushes to get 100 yards I think a lot of guys could be worth a top 12 pick in the draft.
If you don't dislike him, why do you cherry pick his stats and refuse to look at him objectively? He's averaging 4.3 ypc this year. In his four 100 yard games, he's averaging 4.85. Yet, you choose to focus on the one game where he rushes 29 times for 103 yards to make your irrational point. Do you evaluate AP solely on his 26 carry, 100 yard day? Very strange.
Obvious troll is obvious. Glorified RBBC back? Ridiculous. Mathews is a better blocker than Woodhead by a large margin and he's got very good hands. He doesn't need to be in a RBBC. He's only in one because the new staff brought in their own guy to be the receiving back rather than the incumbent that they had no ties to.

It isn't his fault his coaches fail to completely utilize him. He's looked good doing what they've asked of him and he's clearly earning some respect amongst the staff as he is getting a larger slice of the pie in regards to snaps.

However, that is a bit off topic. I don't really care where he was drafted in the NFL draft. He was a 5th round draft pick for me in 2013 across multiple leagues and he's performed quite well on the season, clocking in as RB20. If you want to cry about the fact that he was drafted #12 overall 4 years ago or that he's missed a significant amount of time due to injuries in the past, go right ahead, but it isn't pertinent to this discussion. You can also make snarky comments about injuries but it just made you look dumb when he suited up and carried the load the very next week. I'd wish you better luck with your next snarky shot, but I'm not sure you'd grasp the sarcasm.
FTR, he has the 9th-highest utilization among RBs the last 5 weeks.

It isn't his fault his coaches fail to completely utilize him. He's looked good doing what they've asked of him and he's clearly earning some respect amongst the staff as he is getting a larger slice of the pie in regards to snaps.

However, that is a bit off topic. I don't really care where he was drafted in the NFL draft. He was a 5th round draft pick for me in 2013 across multiple leagues and he's performed quite well on the season, clocking in as RB20. If you want to cry about the fact that he was drafted #12 overall 4 years ago or that he's missed a significant amount of time due to injuries in the past, go right ahead, but it isn't pertinent to this discussion. You can also make snarky comments about injuries but it just made you look dumb when he suited up and carried the load the very next week. I'd wish you better luck with your next snarky shot, but I'm not sure you'd grasp the sarcasm.
FTR, he has the 9th-highest utilization among RBs the last 5 weeks.
Which is in line with what I said, although I'm curious how you measure utilization. Is that just % of touches vs. snaps or just a sum of rushes + targets?

He ranks 11th in RB touches in the last 5 weeks, but this is aided by the fact that Charles, Stacy, and Lynch all had bye weeks during that time.

LOL, I haven't found one person, online or in real life, who agrees with me about Woodhead over Mathews tonight in a non ppr.

They say go with your gut, but I'll chicken out and go with the masses and start Mathews.

What do you guys think Woodhead can do tonight? Saw interesting stat that he averages 6 catches/game on the road. This one figures to be high scoring.

I think early on , they will try to run Matthews to control the clock and keep Manning off the field. When they inevitably get down by 3 TD's they will then lean more on Woodhead.

They say go with your gut, but I'll chicken out and go with the masses and start Mathews.
I'm wavering on starting Woodhead in a non-PPR too. I am having trouble getting past his reduction in touches overall (only about 10 a week for the past 5 games).

Hate making critical decisions on Thursdays but rolling with Mathews hoping for over 100 yards rushing 3 receptions for 25 yards and 2 TDs.

Anyone thinks Matthew's a good play tonight. Concerned about in Denver and SD could be playing behind, thus limits the run game.

LOL, I haven't found one person, online or in real life, who agrees with me about Woodhead over Mathews tonight in a non ppr.

Don't always go with your gut! I really wanted to bench Mathews and play Woodhead or a WR, glad I didn't.

Great start to the semifinals between Mathews and Keenan Allen.

Danny small wood bad head equals unplayable now... ryan is handling it all now
at home against the Raiders, bench him at your own risk. last night's game sucked, but those are the breaks.
Yeah, Woodhead is boom or bust...I played both Mathews and Woodhead to hedge my bet with ADP out, and in PPR was hoping to get 25 total points between the two of them...to the exact decimal, I got 25 points out of the two of them. I know my situation is not the same for everyone, but the "points" are there. I think if forced to chose one, Mathews has the better chance of performing more consistently...overthe last 6 games he has not scored more than 10 points in PPR in 5 of 6.

So are both of these guys good plays vs. Oakland? If you had to play one, I assume it would be Mathews given recent history. Interestingly, Charles only had 20 yards rushing against them last week and most of his crazy yardage came through the air, which is more of Woodhead's thing. What are you guys thinking?

So are both of these guys good plays vs. Oakland? If you had to play one, I assume it would be Mathews given recent history. Interestingly, Charles only had 20 yards rushing against them last week and most of his crazy yardage came through the air, which is more of Woodhead's thing. What are you guys thinking?
I was looking at the stats of the previous game against Oakland, did Mathews get hurt in that game or something? He only had 8yds rushing on 3 carries. Woodhead had 9rec/58yds/1TD. After what Charles just did to them catching passes, it's hard to not wan to go with Woodhead this week.

I was looking at the stats of the previous game against Oakland, did Mathews get hurt in that game or something? He only had 8yds rushing on 3 carries. Woodhead had 9rec/58yds/1TD. After what Charles just did to them catching passes, it's hard to not wan to go with Woodhead this week.
He left that game early with a concussion

He left that game early with a concussion
I figured something had to have happened there.

Users who are viewing this thread