What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Roth (1 Viewer)

coolnerd

Footballguy
I just took Matt Roth to bury on my taxi squad for up to 3 years. I have not seen too many reports out Dolphin camps, How is he doing as a pass rusher? What is rumored to be his long-term role?TIA

all i read is that they dont plan on making him a standup DE right now.
Thanks...not really totally sure what that means in term of thier scheme. More than most teams from what I have been able to peice together the Dolphins will seem to mix 4-3 and 3-4.

Long term, Roth with be an OLB in the 3-4. Short term, I think he should be coming in on passing on passing downs opposite of Taylor in the 4-3 this season.I really like his long run prospects.

Decent talent. Lousy situation.Roth signed a 5-year deal with the Dolphins. Saban (and his 3-4 D) signed a 5-year deal with the Dolphins. Yuck! :X OLB's just do not score well in FF.

Decent talent. Lousy situation.

Roth signed a 5-year deal with the Dolphins. Saban (and his 3-4 D) signed a 5-year deal with the Dolphins. Yuck! :X

OLB's just do not score well in FF.
Just to note; 16 team league w/between 40-45 players. Sacks are highly valued (5 points) so even average 3-4 OLB have decent value either in a rotation or good bye week fill-ins. Right now he is listed as a DE which actually increases his worth.

Decent talent. Lousy situation.

Roth signed a 5-year deal with the Dolphins. Saban (and his 3-4 D) signed a 5-year deal with the Dolphins. Yuck! :X

Just to note; 16 team league w/between 40-45 players. Sacks are highly valued (5 points) so even average 3-4 OLB have decent value either in a rotation or good bye week fill-ins. Right now he is listed as a DE which actually increases his worth.
What are solos and assist worth?? 2 - 1 or 1 - 1/2??

In my dynasty league DL's score 12 points for a sack and 2 for tackle.How does he rate now????

In my dynasty league DL's score 12 points for a sack and 2 for tackle.

How does he rate now????
Better...but I still wouldn't touch Roth.Even if Roth can match the benchmark of the "great" Joey Porter (ie. the best-scoring 3-4 OLB the past five years), he still would have a difficult time cracking the Top-40 for LB's. If you review your league rankings from last year, Porter probably ranked in the mid-30's, right??

Porter's average season over the past five years has been...

~ 50 solos, 15 assist, 7 sacks

Given your scoring system, this probably equates to the following LB stat lines...

~ 80 solos, 15 assist, 2 sacks

~ 75 solos, 25 assist, 2 sacks

~ 65 solos, 25 assist, 4 sacks

Here are some LB stats from last year (all of which I'm assuming outscored Porter last year)...

Ayodele (JAX): 80 solos, 13 assist, 2 sacks

Quarles (TB): 72 solos, 32 assist, 3.5 sacks

Fujita (KC): 68 solos, 22 asist, 4.5 sacks

Darling (AZ): 79 solos, 16 assist, 1 sack

So YES...if you believe Roth will one day match the stats of the most productive 3-4 OLB today, you'll maybe have yourself a Top-40 LB on your hands.

BTW, there's a 99.99% chance Roth will not be coded as a DL in your league much longer ('06 at the latest). Also, I'm assuming your league awards 10 pts/sack for LB's...not 12 pts/sack as with the DL's (EFSports, right??).

Man, I sound like I'm dogging the crap out of Roth. I do like him. Honestly. Unfortunately, history...for better or worse...shows that FF scoring and 3-4 OLB's mix like oil and water.

Decent talent.  Lousy situation.

Roth signed a 5-year deal with the Dolphins.  Saban (and his 3-4 D) signed a 5-year deal with the Dolphins.  Yuck!   :X   

What are solos and assist worth?? 2 - 1 or 1 - 1/2??
Tackles are 1.0 and .5 for asst...we start either 3 or 4 LBs. Rankings for some 3-4 OLB based on 2004 stats

Foley 8

Wong 20

Porter 31

McGinset 35

Vrabel 40

Babin 57

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Roth on a Zealots roster, but I'm not very excited about his prospects. As Weiner Dog says, the 3-4 is the problem for his long-term value in a tackle-heavy league.

I was searching more for info that I had missed. I knew that the league I was referring to had a different make-up which makes him valuable. Because of the sack points there is a decent gap between good DE and the pack. I am hoping that he stays listed there and does officially move to OLB.

Users who are viewing this thread