What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Schaub Will Exceed Expectations (1 Viewer)

packersfan

Footballguy
Disclaimor: I am a Schaub owner.

However, I'm not posting this out of blind hope that a guy I like does well when faced with adversity. And I realize that all of the signs pointing at Schaub now with Johnson out are negative. The talent at WR is highly suspect to say the least. Removing Johnson is similar to removing Sterling Sharpe from the Packers in the early 90s. It's difficult to imagine the passing game functioning without him.

I realize all that could be the case. But I also believe that Schaub is a good QB and may in a few years become a great one. I like what I've seen from him. The more I watch him, the more impressed I am with him. He handles himself well in the pocket. He is smart, goes through his progressions, doesn't appear fazed by a pass rush (unlike his predecessor) and doesn't appear easily rattled. He has a poise beyond his years and certainly beyond his experience as a starting QB in the NFL.

On the surface, everything points to Schaub playing poorly for as long as Johnson is out. Conventional wisdom would definitely point in that direction. But something tells me Schaub won't be as bad as many anticipate. Something tells me his poise and his ability will help him survive without his top receiving weapon. I think Schaub has that intangible that the great QBs have - the ability to make the talent around him better.

Granted, the sample size is extremely small and as a Schaub owner I don't dispute the possibility that there is some wishful thinking involved in all of this. But I did draft him for a reason - I like him and I think he is talented. In the first two games, he went out and looked even better than I anticipated.

So I'm going on record now as saying Schaub will not flop without Andre Johnson as long as Johnson's injury does not keep him out for an extended period of time (i.e. 5 weeks or more). I think in the short-term Schaub can do well and keep the Texans from falling apart without Johnson.

For this week, I predict at least 220 yards passing and 2 TDs.

I'll now sit back and prepared to be flamed and for this thread to be bumped on Sunday and be flamed some more. :) :lol:

You know, I was about say that I disagree, but even without Andre Johnson I think he could do well. I mean, he DID put up nearly 300 yards and 3 TDs in his one game against NE, and so far he's looking good (although Andre is a beast right now). He'll be a top 10 QB imo.

Wow

Im reading other threads about AJ AGreen and Schaub.

But i will say that the TEXANS will suprise people.

Schaub is a very good qb....we hadnt needed him all that much if you think about it cause they Texans got good leads and pretty much went into ball control.

Yes we lose our best playmaker for aliltte time. Thats TRUE, But something in me believes there ready to UNLEASH

there smoking gun.

:coach talk: we will play walter davis jacoby and mathis all in a 4 wr rotation. All will come in every 2 plays.

:lmao:

Yeah ok, let me tell you what that really means: We wanna keep Jacoby Jones under the radar right now but come game time they wont know what hit em.

I really see the offense still producing. Seems like everyone is catching everything from Walters to Jacoby to daniels and Jacoby and Aj. Green hadnt been used much as a rec out of the backfield i expect to see that as well.

Its not so much the O im worried about...its our secondary.

Here's another reason I think Schaub could do better than anticipated this week: The Colts' pass defense is obviously playing well (7th ranked in yardage allowed) but they aren't generating a lot of sacks (4 so far). As I mentioned above one of the things that's impressed me the most about Schaub is his ability to handle pressure and go through his progressions. If he isn't getting much pressure I think that will give him more time to survey the field and make the right throw. We could see more checkdowns to the RBs this week if the WRs can't get open and many people (myself included) expect Daniels' role to increase.

Is there any point to this?
I thought maybe there would be place on the board for an intelligent discussion about how Schaub will do without Andre Johnson. If I was wrong, the thread will soon disappear.
Did the 10 other Andre Johnson/Jacoby Jones/Matt Schaub threads get deleted?
Is there another thread about Schaub that talks about how he could do well even without Johnson? If so, the mods can come in and delete this one with my apologies.

Here's another reason I think Schaub could do better than anticipated this week: The Colts' pass defense is obviously playing well (7th ranked in yardage allowed) but they aren't generating a lot of sacks (4 so far). As I mentioned above one of the things that's impressed me the most about Schaub is his ability to handle pressure and go through his progressions. If he isn't getting much pressure I think that will give him more time to survey the field and make the right throw. We could see more checkdowns to the RBs this week if the WRs can't get open and many people (myself included) expect Daniels' role to increase.
I do think he could have a decent fantasy game by dumping off to Green and getting the ball more to Daniels, but even though I like Jacoby Jones I'll be surprised if Jones does well as the #1 WR. Getting open as a #1 in the NFL is no easy task, especially for a rookie in his 3rd game.

Who's the waiver wire pickup then?

Is Jacoby Jones going to blow up?

Owen Daniels?

Andre Davis?

Seriously?

Andre Johnson is the #4 WR in the league right now in terms of yardage. That just doesn't replace itself out of nowhere. If anything, I think the yardage goes down and the INTS go up with Johnson out. And Ron Dayne sees the biggest increase in production.

I own Schaub among my QBBC options. I was all set to start him this week till the AJ news broke.

I think he could have a real good game, but the potential for a disaster is equally probable. I just can't bring myself to start him until I see him succeed w/o AJ.

My other options are not good (Rivers/Campbell), but I'm leaning away from Schaub at this point.

No way I would start him. Not to bash you or anything, but there are definetly better options that Schaub this weekend.
Kinda of hard to say 'there are definetly better options than Schuab this weekend' with out knowing his roster and what QBs are out there. In my league, the team that has Schuab would get laughed at if he did not start Schaub this week. In other smaller leagues maybe it would be laughable to start him. I think a beter way to discus this topic would be to state projections, then everyone based on their own league can decide if those stats are better than the next best alternative. *I think Schaub goes for 200-225yds and 1 TD 1-2INTS, Lossing your #1 WR moves everyone up on the depth chart which means everyone is facing tougher defenders than if AJ was on the field. Schaub has to suffer.

I own Schaub among my QBBC options. I was all set to start him this week till the AJ news broke.I think he could have a real good game, but the potential for a disaster is equally probable. I just can't bring myself to start him until I see him succeed w/o AJ.My other options are not good (Rivers/Campbell), but I'm leaning away from Schaub at this point.
i play two qb's out of cutler, campell, schaub; have been starting cutler and schaub and will probably do so again this week. though campbell is improving and everyone has been scoring on the giants, so i don't think campbell is a bad alternative.

Am I crazy for starting Jacoby Jones?

I figure the Texans will eventually end up in a hole and will be forced to throw the ball. Someone will have to catch some balls and I think it will be Jones.

Removing Johnson is similar to removing Sterling Sharpe from the Packers in the early 90s.
Didn't read the whole thing. Got here and said to myself, "whatever he is posting must be based in good reasoning." This is about as accurate a description of AJ's game as I have seen.He will "make" Schaub a good QB this year and next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any point to this?
I thought maybe there would be place on the board for an intelligent discussion about how Schaub will do without Andre Johnson. If I was wrong, the thread will soon disappear.
Did the 10 other Andre Johnson/Jacoby Jones/Matt Schaub threads get deleted?
Is there another thread about Schaub that talks about how he could do well even without Johnson? If so, the mods can come in and delete this one with my apologies.
This thread deserves its own space.Report any threads you think should be merged. No need to berate the OP. Joe has said concretely that we do not mind multiple threads onthe same player, but we will entertain reports asking to merge them.

I will interesed to see Schuab perform this week w/o Johnson. It may give some insight as to if he is a guy who makes the players around him better or more an efficient/effective type. I am very happy with him either way, just wanting to see his level.

I won't be starting Schaub in any leagues, but I don't really expect his FF performance to suffer all that much against Indy. I think that Manning & Co. tear the Texans secondary to pieces and Indy's D focuses on Green and tries to force Schaub to beat them in the air. I expect they'll be playing from behind and having to throw a lot more than in weeks 1 & 2. Schaub's completion % will be down I'm sure, and that QB rating will take a hit, but he should be throwing so much more that he'll still put up comparable fantasy numbers.

Something else to consider here is that while it's logical to project a decrease in Schaub's passing yards, we don't know where to start the decrease from because he really hasn't played a four-quarter game yet. He's basically only had to throw for three quarters in the first two games and then spend the fourth quarter handing off and making the occasional pass. So far this season he is averaging 226 yards a game in essentially three quarters of work. Is it possible that if he had to throw in the fourth quarter the average could be up to 250 yards or maybe even 260? If so, then the production he puts up - even after you factor in a decline due to Johnson's absence - could be higher than many anticipate.

Bumping this up because Schaub continues to be under-valued in my opinion. He hasn't been a fantasy monster but he's been very steady - even without Johnson and Ahman Green. He ranks 10th in standard scoring and has thrown for at least 225 yards and 1 TD in every game (and he just missed a rushing TD last week). He isn't a fantasy stud but I'm not sure he's getting the praise he deserves for what he's done given the drop-off in talent around him.

This thread was very prophetic.

Since my post 2 weeks ago, I benched Schaub the past 2 games & got burned. I can't afford goose-eggs from guys like Rivers, I need that steady QB production Schaub provides. When AJ gets back, the we'll see some of those 3TD games. I think Schaub stays in the top-10 all year.

I am ready to make the following promise:

Schaub is my new starting QB no matter who lines up at WR for the rest of the year (unless i trade for a stud).

He hasn't been a fantasy monster but he's been very steady - even without Johnson and Ahman Green.
The problem with the word "steady" is that it implies mediocrity. And Schaub is far from mediocre.He's #3 in completion % (74%), #8 in yards, #8 in QB rating, and #8 in yards-per-attempt. The TDs aren't there but they will come. Just wait.

He hasn't been a fantasy monster but he's been very steady - even without Johnson and Ahman Green.
The problem with the word "steady" is that it implies mediocrity. And Schaub is far from mediocre.He's #3 in completion % (74%), #8 in yards, #8 in QB rating, and #8 in yards-per-attempt. The TDs aren't there but they will come. Just wait.
I definitely don't think he's mediocre. I don't think he's been a standout yet but I agree the TDs will come and once he does he could become a consistent Top 10 option week in and week out. I continue to be surprised to see him ranked in the 15-20 range on a weekly basis. There aren't 15 QBs I'd rather start in fantasy at this point in the season than Schaub. The guy is pretty good and once he gets Johnson back - maybe in 2-3 weeks - he could be great.

I definitely don't think he's mediocre. I don't think he's been a standout yet but I agree the TDs will come and once he does he could become a consistent Top 10 option week in and week out. I continue to be surprised to see him ranked in the 15-20 range on a weekly basis. There aren't 15 QBs I'd rather start in fantasy at this point in the season than Schaub. The guy is pretty good and once he gets Johnson back - maybe in 2-3 weeks - he could be great.
Holy honkers Packersfan :thumbup:

I drafted Cutler as my QB1 in a 14-team league, but snagged Schaub off waivers when another owner cut him. Haven't started him over Cutler yet, but that may change this week.

I agree the TDs will come, esp. when AJ gets back.

Since my post 2 weeks ago, I benched Schaub the past 2 games & got burned. I can't afford goose-eggs from guys like Rivers, I need that steady QB production Schaub provides. When AJ gets back, the we'll see some of those 3TD games. I think Schaub stays in the top-10 all year.

Schaub is my new starting QB no matter who lines up at WR for the rest of the year (unless i trade for a stud).
:goodposting: I did the exact same thing and got burned. Rivers will never see daylight on my team again and Schaub will never again see the bench.

I would definitely add Schaub if I didn't already have Vince Young and Eli Manning. I just don't have room for 3 QBs on my squad. If one of my QBs got seriously injured I would add Schaub in a heartbeat.

:cry: I did the exact same thing and got burned. Rivers will never see daylight on my team again and Schaub will never again see the bench.
GB FANTASY FOOTBALL! :thumbup:

Dude was tough today. Was not throwing the ball well at times, didn't have much help from that fearsome duo of Ron Dayne/Samkon Gado. Somehow he got it done with a huge assist from Kris Brown. Took the Texans from inside their own 5 yard line with under 2 minutes to play to give Brown a shot...

Dude was tough today. Was not throwing the ball well at times, didn't have much help from that fearsome duo of Ron Dayne/Samkon Gado. Somehow he got it done with a huge assist from Kris Brown. Took the Texans from inside their own 5 yard line with under 2 minutes to play to give Brown a shot...
Schaub is looking good right now... reallll good...

He's not gonna win you any fantasy weeks, but I guess he wont lose any either.

I wouldn't start him, but I guess if you're hurting for a QB he wouldnt be too bad of an option.

-Crippler- said:
not the best game today :thumbup:
The Dolphins do have the #3 passing defense in the league by the way. Oh, and the Texans won.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~It's really annoying that in every one of the last 3 games, Schaub has had one interception off tipped balls of the hands of his own WR's. Turnovers continue to be an issue for the Texans.

Users who are viewing this thread