What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matthew Berry (1 Viewer)

IheartGuinness said:
He doesn't seem very bright and he gives some pretty lousy advice. But he seems like a guy that would be fun to have a beer with. Is he some kind of great fantasy football guru? No, not even close. But he's entertaining and affable, which I suppose counts for something.
Really? He always strikes me as very bright.

Love him or hate him, I would bet that Matthew Berry has done more to expand the popularity of fantasy football than any other single person over the last 10 years.

I think his draft looks great!

I also enjoy listening to him.... I don't always agree - his expertise is in redraft - NOT DYNASTY!!!

Love him or hate him, I would bet that Matthew Berry has done more to expand the popularity of fantasy football than any other single person over the last 10 years.
This. He has done a GREAT job as a spokesman for fantasy football. He has drafts with Jay Z. His book was a best-seller. I am extremely grateful of Matthew Berry. He has probably done more to make fantasy football mainstream than anyone. I remain a big fan.

I don't question his knowledge - it's obvious he knows his stuff since way back in the Talented Mr. Roto days - but I can't get past the novels he writes before he even gets to the fantasy tidbits. It's way, WAY over the top. He seems like a really nice guy, but you have to have a massive ego to believe that people care that much about your personal life.

If he would drop that stuff, and jump right to the fantasy stuff, I'd rank him among the elite must-reads.

I don't question his knowledge - it's obvious he knows his stuff since way back in the Talented Mr. Roto days - but I can't get past the novels he writes before he even gets to the fantasy tidbits. It's way, WAY over the top. He seems like a really nice guy, but you have to have a massive ego to believe that people care that much about your personal life.

If he would drop that stuff, and jump right to the fantasy stuff, I'd rank him among the elite must-reads.
My guess is that he bases how much he writes on pageviews and readership history, not ego.

Thanks for the responses. As you may have been able to tell I'm not a fan of the style of the ESPN podcast and I only have time to rely on a few sources.

When I listen to fbg podcasts I can hear such a depth of knowledge that I can trust what's behind the rankings. So I always rely on that. But I like having additional sources. I enjoy the CBS podcast quite a bit (Eisenberg and Richard).

Seems like Berry is worth listening to as an alternate viewpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a good writer, a good on-air personality, a good self-marketer, a tireless promoter of the hobby, and a guy who actually says a couple things a year that suggest he thinks for himself.

Those first few things alone make him an elite FF expert -- since 99% of being an expert in almost anything is writing, personality, and marketing. The thinking for himself part is just the icing on the cake. Most schmucks out there are just copying and pasting player rankings and making up analysis to support them after the fact.

I'd put him up there with absolutely anybody as a total FF expert package.

I don't even play MFL 10's and I am aware that it is best ball. I don't see any problem with his draft besides the lack of depth at RB.

Thanks for the responses. As you may have been able to tell I'm not a fan of the style of the ESPN podcast and I only have time to rely on a few sources.

When I listen to fbg podcasts I can hear such a depth of knowledge that I can trust what's behind the rankings. So I always rely on that. But I like having additional sources. I enjoy the CBS podcast quite a bit (Eisenberg and Richard).

Seems like Berry is worth listening to as an alternate viewpoint.
If you like the FBG podcasts, check out the DLF podcasts. It's a dynasty angle on everything, but if you prefer the more serious FF talk, they are only second to FBG podcasts, that I have found.

seems like a good guy, knows his stuff...not as good at this as many other guys ...His draft in the OP doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling....

His stuff is mostly geared to ESPN 10 team leagues (cuz duh he works for them) but i enjoy reading him quite a bit. I rarely listen to his advice because its usually not relevant to non ESPN, 12 team leagues. And i like the personal stories :shrug:

This. He has done a GREAT job as a spokesman for fantasy football. He has drafts with Jay Z. His book was a best-seller. I am extremely grateful of Matthew Berry. He has probably done more to make fantasy football mainstream than anyone. I remain a big fan.
Was this really "his" doing per say though, or was he just the guy called on when ESPN said "we need to start taking advantage of this fantasy football thing".

How much would he have been able to do without the ESPN air time which I'm guessing was ESPN's idea in the first place? ESPN decided to have writers about fantasy football, and then an on-air segment about fantasy football, and then a whole show dedicated to fantasy football. How much did Berry make that happen vs. how much of it was just that he was the vehicle they did that through and it would have just as easily been someone else if he weren't there?

Was this really "his" doing per say though, or was he just the guy called on when ESPN said "we need to start taking advantage of this fantasy football thing".

How much would he have been able to do without the ESPN air time which I'm guessing was ESPN's idea in the first place? ESPN decided to have writers about fantasy football, and then an on-air segment about fantasy football, and then a whole show dedicated to fantasy football. How much did Berry make that happen vs. how much of it was just that he was the vehicle they did that through and it would have just as easily been someone else if he weren't there?
This is the game we play and follow. It would have happened with or without ESPN. Berry just happened to be one of us. A guy who loved fantasy sports and took a chance to write about it for a living at a time when NO ONE was doing that. He built himself into the most recognizable name in the fantasy game on his own. So if ESPN didn't put him on at the rise of Fantasy sports popularity, someone else would have.

This is the game we play and follow. It would have happened with or without ESPN. Berry just happened to be one of us. A guy who loved fantasy sports and took a chance to write about it for a living at a time when NO ONE was doing that. He built himself into the most recognizable name in the fantasy game on his own. So if ESPN didn't put him on at the rise of Fantasy sports popularity, someone else would have.
Yeah at a time when nobody gave fantasy sports mainstream attention, Berry had a very popular California column and was repeatedly being invited back to FOX radio to talk fantasy. His segment was so popular that it got attention from ESPN. No doubt he chose the right career at the right time, but he wasn't just some random talking head that ESPN said, "hey you are the only guy around Bristol that knows what fantasy is so you are going to be our fantasy guru."

Seems like a good guy. Interesting life he's led.

My league keeps getting better at draft day and berry is one reason to blame.

I do like when he uses stats to show that you can basically prove that every guy in the league is good AND bad.

Does it matter? I mean, we could ask how much of Joe Montana's success was Joe Montana and how much was him just landing in the perfect place at the perfect time. After all, Ken Anderson and Steve Young were also both all-time greats in that system. If the Niners had gotten someone else, would they still have won any titles in the '80s? Would they have traded for Steve Young and started him sooner? Would they have been awful and wound up with John Elway, instead? Somehow I suspect that even without Joe Montana, Bill Walsh wasn't going to be retiring without a few Superbowl rings.

Matt Berry is the Joe Montana of fantasy football- he might have been in the right place at the right time, but he's talented and he certainly knew what to do with that opportunity once he had it.

Mike Vick #1 overall still sticks out in my head. Yes, he's bright. Yes, he's a great fantasy spokesman and has done a lot for the hobby. But no, he's really not all that good at fantasy football. He's better than the average joe schmoe yahoo public leaguer, and that's all he needs to be.

With that said, I listen to his podcast every week for the entertainment value and the fact that they're discussing FF in a fun way.

I heard some of his show for the first time today. I have to say, I wasn't very impressed with his take on the Seahawks: Harvin on his "hate" list, Baldwin not worth talking about, Wilson not worth an 8th round pick, no mention of Kearse or Richardson at all.

I heard some of his show for the first time today. I have to say, I wasn't very impressed with his take on the Seahawks: Harvin on his "hate" list, Baldwin not worth talking about, Wilson not worth an 8th round pick, no mention of Kearse or Richardson at all.
For standard leagues, how is this not good advice?

1. Harvin will be top 10 WR this season.

2. Wilson will be top 8 QB this season.

3. Baldwin will be top 30 WR this season.

Mark it down.

1. Harvin will be top 10 WR this season.2. Wilson will be top 8 QB this season.

Mark it down.
Harvin has never finished top 10 and had all of 1 catch last year. He's currently being drafted in the 4th round.

Wilson is a conservative game manager in a run first offense with a top 5 defense.

Last year WR 30 in my league was Harry Douglas who had 85-1067-2. Doug Baldwin's best year was 50-778-5. He is also in a run heavy offense with a top 5 defense.

Mark it down.
Harvin has never finished top 10 and had all of 1 catch last year. He's currently being drafted in the 4th round.Wilson is a conservative game manager in a run first offense with a top 5 defense.

Last year WR 30 in my league was Harry Douglas who had 85-1067-2. Doug Baldwin's best year was 50-778-5. He is also in a run heavy offense with a top 5 defense.
Well, if you base all your expectations solely on past performance, I can see why you agree with Berry about Seattle this year. That isn't my methodology. :shrug:

ETA: Harvin was top 10 in 2011 and top 5 in 2012 when he got hurt. And Wilson has already been top 8-9 in his 2 seasons in some scoring systems (e.g., pro-football-reference).

Mark it down.
Harvin has never finished top 10 and had all of 1 catch last year. He's currently being drafted in the 4th round.Wilson is a conservative game manager in a run first offense with a top 5 defense.

Well, if you base all your expectations solely on past performance, I can see why you agree with Berry about Seattle this year. That isn't my methodology. :shrug:
If you base all your decisions by projecting outlandish stats and taking on inordinate amounts of risk then more power to you. I like to avoid as much risk as possible.

Mark it down.

Well, if you base all your expectations solely on past performance, I can see why you agree with Berry about Seattle this year.That isn't my methodology. :shrug:
If you base all your decisions by projecting outlandish stats and taking on inordinate amounts of risk then more power to you. I like to avoid as much risk as possible.
Do you consider it outlandish to project a QB who has finished top 8-9 in his first 2 seasons to finish top 8 this season?

Do you consider it outlandish to project a WR who finished as WR #7 in 2011 and was WR #3 when he got hurt in 2012 to finish top 10 this season?

Do you consider it outlandish to project a WR who finished as WR #38 last season in an offense that should pass more frequently to be a top 30 WR?

Do you consider it outlandish to project an increase in pass attempts for a team that demonstrated its desire to strengthen its passing game by paying a hefty price for Harvin?

Do you really believe such projections represent "inordinate amounts of risk"?

My point in posting was that it didn't seem that Berry is really paying attention to the Seattle offense. Now it seems like you aren't either.

This show he's on right now that looks live, and is in front of a huge studio audience, has questions from the crowd. Some chick just asked if Justin Henry will put up more points than Wright and Nate Washington. I'm sure this 45 year old woman from Alabama with a Saints jersey just misspoke, and she wasn't fed the questions from ESPN.

Mark it down.

Well, if you base all your expectations solely on past performance, I can see why you agree with Berry about Seattle this year.That isn't my methodology. :shrug:
Do you consider it outlandish to project a QB who has finished top 8-9 in his first 2 seasons to finish top 8 this season?

Do you consider it outlandish to project a WR who finished as WR #7 in 2011 and was WR #3 when he got hurt in 2012 to finish top 10 this season?

Do you consider it outlandish to project a WR who finished as WR #38 last season in an offense that should pass more frequently to be a top 30 WR?

Do you consider it outlandish to project an increase in pass attempts for a team that demonstrated its desire to strengthen its passing game by paying a hefty price for Harvin?

Do you really believe such projections represent "inordinate amounts of risk"?

My point in posting was that it didn't seem that Berry is really paying attention to the Seattle offense. Now it seems like you aren't either.
Wilson finished 12 and 13 respectively his first 2 years in what I saw.

Harvin has played all of 10 games the last 2 years and finished a full season once where his stats were 87-967-6.

Baldwin has never caught more than 800 yards in a run heavy offense with a top 5 defense. "Should pass more" sounds like wishful thinking rather than in depth analysis.

Could Seattle suddenly become a pass heavy offense? Sure. How likely is that to occur though? Their defense would have to take major steps back. Carroll would have to drastically change his offensive philosophy to account for the defense's under performance and Wilson would have to take a major step forward as a passer.

The odds of all these things happening? Not worth my investing in to find out. Which is what a proper fantasy analyst should advocate to the general public. Not make random projections based on feelings that will be backed away from and forgotten later.

Could Seattle suddenly become a pass heavy offense? Sure. How likely is that to occur though? Their defense would have to take major steps back. Carroll would have to drastically change his offensive philosophy to account for the defense's under performance and Wilson would have to take a major step forward as a passer.

The odds of all these things happening? Not worth my investing in to find out. Which is what a proper fantasy analyst should advocate to the general public. Not make random projections based on feelings that will be backed away from and forgotten later.
I disagree with all of this. And whether I am right or wrong, this is exactly what a "proper" fantasy analyst should be doing... Analyzing, not regurgitating.

I line his podcast quite a bit. He and ravitz have a good rapport. His level of analysis is not that deep. I am ok with that, as he is much more entertaining than other pods I have listened to. As long as you know what you are getting, or in reality, not getting in terms of depth, it is a good listen.

To say that he is just lucky to be in the spot where he is though...that is ridiculous. There have been many other guys that work for ESPN fantasy over the years that don't have a 1/4 of the success and exposure he does. He didn't just get to his level of success by just being there, to his credit, and detriment, he is a relentless self-promoter, and is funny (albeit a tad shticky).

All that said shouldn't the FBG employees have a disclaimer in their posts re Berry in light of their ongoing Rotopass business relationship?

Harvin has played all of 10 games the last 2 years and finished a full season once where his stats were 87-967-6.
His stats were 87 receptions, 1312 yards, and 8 TDs.
Maybe you can show me where those stats are from. Ah I see you added the rushing. Do you believe he will be used nearly as much as he was in Minnesota for rushing purposes?

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXHXXHarvPe00.htm&t=0

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G YScm RRTD Fmb AV

2009* 21 MIN KR/wr 12 15 8 60 790 13.2 6 51 4.0 52.7 15 135 0 35 9.0 9.0 1.0 925 6 1 11

2010 22 MIN KR/WR 12 14 13 71 868 12.2 5 53 5.1 62.0 18 107 1 17 5.9 7.6 1.3 975 6 1 9

2011 23 MIN WR 12 16 14 87 967 11.1 6 52 5.4 60.4 52 345 2 39 6.6 21.6 3.3 1312 8 2 13

2012 24 MIN wr 12 9 8 62 677 10.9 3 45 6.9 75.2 22 96 1 20 4.4 10.7 2.4 773 4 2 9

2013 25 SEA 11 1 0 1 17 17.0 0 17 1.0 17.0 17 0 0 0

Career 55 43 281 3319 11.8 20

I disagree with all of this. And whether I am right or wrong, this is exactly what a "proper" fantasy analyst should be doing... Analyzing, not regurgitating.
One of the things Berry does emphasize is that stats can talk up or talk down any player you want. Don't think he hasn't analyzed the situation.

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/nfldk2k14_TMR100facts/matthew-berry-fantasy-football-100-facts-2014-preseason

Getting intel is no longer the concern. There's no advantage because everyone has access to the same information. If you are in any kind of real league in which people are paying attention, the only advantage might be a faster Internet connection or a better smartphone to make a quick pick up in the dying seconds before game time. Otherwise, it's 10 or 12 guys looking at all the same names, numbers and rankings.

The key to winning, then, is parsing that data. Figuring out what to believe and what to ignore. Because, as I'll be the first to tell you every season, stats can say anything you want them to.

Consider the case of these two quarterbacks.

"QB1" was a fantasy stud last year. He finished as a top-10 quarterback and had more 30-point games than any quarterback not named Peyton or Drew. In fact, according to Tristan H. Cockcroft's 2013 consistency rankings, those two quarterbacks (Peyton Manning and Drew Brees) were the only two who had more "stud" games than this guy. ("Stud" being defined as a QB who was top-two at his position for the week). His attempts, completions, touchdowns, yards, QB rating and QBR have improved every year he's been in the league. He has one of the most talented receiving corps around, including the leading wide receiver in end zone catch percentage (among qualified wideouts). Top 10 in the NFL in pass attempts last year, he's the leader of a high-octane offense that was sixth in the league in total points. And he has started every game of his career, so it's easy to see why this 4,000-yard passer was a high draft pick. He's coming off his best professional year ever, and considering he's still fairly young, the best is yet to come. Draft him high, and ride the wave.

On the other hand, "QB2" is being drafted well outside the top 10 this year, and it's no shock why. Per Tristan's same consistency rankings, Geno Smith, Eli Manning and Chad Henne were the only quarterbacks who were "stiffs" more often last season. ("Stiff" being defined as someone who ranked among the worst at his position, thus making almost any waiver wire option a better choice.) His interceptions have increased every year he has been in the league, his completion percentage decreased from the previous season, and his QBR was just four tenths of a point better than Ryan Fitzpatrick's. I repeat: Ryan Fitzpatrick. It's not just fantasy owners who have questions about this quarterback. His own team hasn't signed him to an extension yet, and in fact, he will be a free agent after this season. Considering how QB-starved the NFL is, it speaks volumes that his team is willing to let him walk. With the fifth most interceptions in the NFL last year, it's not surprising his team just hired a new offensive coordinator known for running the ball; in his latest job as a playcaller, this coach was top four in the NFL in rush attempts and rush yards. Hand the ball off and don't lose this for us, they seem to be saying. Something you don't want them to say about your quarterback as a fantasy owner. Look elsewhere.

Now, everything I wrote about for each player is 100 percent true. So tell me ... which QB do you want?

Before you answer, you should know that both quarterbacks are Andy Dalton.
I see you have analyzed the Seattle Offense thoroughly so for that, I apologize for thinking you were just going with a gut feeling.

His stats were 87 receptions, 1312 yards, and 8 TDs.
Maybe you can show me where those stats are from. Ah I see you added the rushing. Do you believe he will be used nearly as much as he was in Minnesota for rushing purposes?

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXHXXHarvPe00.htm&t=0

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G YScm RRTD Fmb AV

2009* 21 MIN KR/wr 12 15 8 60 790 13.2 6 51 4.0 52.7 15 135 0 35 9.0 9.0 1.0 925 6 1 11

2010 22 MIN KR/WR 12 14 13 71 868 12.2 5 53 5.1 62.0 18 107 1 17 5.9 7.6 1.3 975 6 1 9

2011 23 MIN WR 12 16 14 87 967 11.1 6 52 5.4 60.4 52 345 2 39 6.6 21.6 3.3 1312 8 2 13

2012 24 MIN wr 12 9 8 62 677 10.9 3 45 6.9 75.2 22 96 1 20 4.4 10.7 2.4 773 4 2 9

2013 25 SEA 11 1 0 1 17 17.0 0 17 1.0 17.0 17 0 0 0

Career 55 43 281 3319 11.8 20
I don't believe he will be used THAT much in the running game, but i do believe he will be used. Remember, Percy Harvin was a running back at Florida. He had identical college rushing totals to Frank Gore. He was the leading rusher (from either team) in the Superbowl. He set the record for most career rushing yards by a WR when he was 25 years old. Harvin's going to run.

If we want to go off of his historical stats, then lets use his actual historical stats- Harvin actually had 1312 yards in 2011, fantasy owners actually scored points for all 1312 of them, and Harvin actually finished in the top 10 in pretty much every scoring system. We can project that rushing total can decline, for sure. Can't we also project that receiving total will rise, too? Why is one okay and the other not?

placebo said:
I enjoy the podcast a lot b/c it's funny and satisfies my bloodlust for anything FF. I can't say there's a ton of fantasy knowledge to be parsed from the show and neither host really knows in-depth football but that's not really the point of the podcast. It's also mostly based on standard 10-team leagues which few people on this board probably participate in. But like it or not, that's what your average FF player is playing, and it would be silly for there not to be any analysts catering to that kind of player.

I think the most valuable part of the show for me is actually the other host, Nate Ravitz. He throws cold water on nearly every hyped unproven sleeper out there, and is more a proponent of veterans. Most other analysts probably fall too in love with those kind of players, and hearing his shade reminds me not to always get carried away.
What I like about Ravitz is he calls him out for loving everyone and tries to pin him down. Like ok Matthew, you can't say you love all ten of these sleeper TE's and say "I told you so" when one of them breaks out. That needs to be said occasionally.

When two guys don't really get along this would either be wildly uncomfortable, or never happen in the first place. Since they obviously have chemistry and don't take themselves too seriously, it works.

Re Berry - agree with most comments here. It's not hard to equal or surpass his advice; particularly with all the resources he has at his disposal. But whatever, he's not in the Top 100 of things wrong with ESPN.

All that said shouldn't the FBG employees have a disclaimer in their posts re Berry in light of their ongoing Rotopass business relationship?
I'm not a journalist so you'll have to forgive my rudimentary understanding of the ethics of disclosure rules, but I don't think they're really necessary in colloquial settings like a message board or twitter, which is basically (in my mind) the digital equivalent of casual conversation. I think if I were writing an article about Matt Berry, it would probably be a good idea to be as up-front as possible about FBGs' relationship with him just to avoid any appearance of impropriety; in a loose and unstructured setting like this, based on the facts that FBG has made no secret of the relationship, (it's in a pinned thread at the top of the page), and the fact that I had nothing to do with the relationship, (I'm the guy in the cube farm, I don't get conferenced in to calls in the board room), I generally don't even consider whether disclosure would be appropriate for me. As an agent of FBGs I have a relationship with Matt Berry. As a someone who has been hanging out around here posting for a dozen years, I do not. When I'm posting here, am I an agent of FBGs or an independent guy who has been posting here for a dozen years? Or, am I both at the same time? Which I suppose gets into the thorny dynamics of posting on the FBG-run message boards as a paid staff member of FBGs, and probably speaks at least a little bit to why message board participation typically declines when someone makes staff.

More than any disclosure of relationships, I think I need to start adding a disclaimer at the end of my posts stating that the views expressed within are entirely my own and not representative of FBGs as a whole...

Users who are viewing this thread