What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (1 Viewer)

I think its a testament to you that so many people are willing to drop down 1,000 bucks on a place they have never eaten or might never eat at. Was talking with my wife about this and all I could say is Ill send you the link to see how awesome this guy has done already.
:lol: I was mulling over this too. It pains me that NOLA is so far away, but after years of having my mouth water when I read about/look at your food here, I have complete faith and just want to be a part of it, through whatever investment options are available. I'll make my way up there someday. No rush.

I hate to be a bother, but can I get a cliffs notes here, por favor.

I live 150 miles due north of New Orleans and I'm not afraid to throw 1-2k down on a risky proposition, assuming I can ride a train down and sample the wares first. Surely it will work out better than my failed investment in Chinese windmills.

Sincerely, Recovering Vegetarian.

I hate to be a bother, but can I get a cliffs notes here, por favor.I live 150 miles due north of New Orleans and I'm not afraid to throw 1-2k down on a risky proposition, assuming I can ride a train down and sample the wares first. Surely it will work out better than my failed investment in Chinese windmills.Sincerely, Recovering Vegetarian.
Super Cliff notes: decided to sell bbq instead of GM for someone else..gave chef/partner a years notice of my intentions to leave (oct 15, 2011)had 4 nights in november where i "popped up" inside dantes and sold my bbq to an unreal responseresponse so unreal..chef lets me open for lunch but forces me out as gm...officially on my own 1.5 months after deciding to do this in a year. quit managing beginning of december.Starts full time weekday lunches & tuesday nights @ beginning of January.Became financially stable within two weeks due to response and experience running restaurants.Get press, more press, some tv, some radio, some more radio, some more press, a huge article with my mug on the cover, some more press, more press, another mention on local npr show, and some more press from bloggers. What is press saying? Best bbq in area or at least in that conversation everytime it comes up.Lunches grow...i outgrow my welcome due to being too busy...decide to leave dantes and pop up in bars for a while to learn that side of biz Find location, verbally agree to pursue it for now, start looking for capital, FBG's step up and become part of the first message board funded restaurant in history...and all get a say on which beer gets sold. :banned: Opening up investment thread eventually...working on the legal speaky speak. Investments in McBq will include samples :)

Tempted to drop the big bucks for the rights to name this place.

Big O's Big-Handed BBQ Hoedown
The place is McClure's Barbecue...you need a pit name....Like the Wade Boggs Memorial Pit or something. Either way..why don't you go on another gambling run as an official fundraising trip for McBq. That would be a great lead in story for all this.

I am tempted to invest. It would be a much easier decision for me if I had actually tasted some of the awesome bbq. ;)
see...i believe bbq is best fresh. cooling off my stuff and shipping it is going to diminish its awesomeness. I must insist potential investors that need a taste first catch a flight/train/bus/car down here, sleep on my couch or next to the pit with me all night, and eat it the way im going to sell it...not leftover.

all investors get a vote on which beers go on tap.
Two good ways to play this, right?1. best beers from the big barbecue parts of the nation (Carolinas, KC, StL, Texas, etc.)

2. best beers from where the investors are from (this could be more interesting but more difficult from a distribution standpoint)
This is a stellar idea. Can have sauce/beer pairings with your food. Never seen this done before, and would be pretty unique
Gosh yeah it would! Dunno if my choice of best NC beer would ship though since they're keeping it local to this point (Red Oak)Then again...Maybe they'll invest for the exposure?!! hmmmmmmmmmm.......... :ph34r:

I think you can get a lot of people at 1-2K (including me) but when you actually do your plan I bet you go for a higher minimum. I had a friend try to do this for a new concept and the number was 50K per unit. That was too high, he didn't get fully subscribed and it faded after a lot of work. But all of the legal paperwork required probably makes a miminal investment problematic.

I think you can get a lot of people at 1-2K (including me) but when you actually do your plan I bet you go for a higher minimum. I had a friend try to do this for a new concept and the number was 50K per unit. That was too high, he didn't get fully subscribed and it faded after a lot of work. But all of the legal paperwork required probably makes a miminal investment problematic.
True. However, the larger the number of investors, the more people who are vested in the success of the business.

True. However, the larger the number of investors, the more people who are vested in the success of the business.
I think this is a reach in this instance... :confused:

i don't think so. It just means that more people are motivated to go above and beyond to assist at promoting, brainstorming and such. Most of the folks in here would do some promoting anyway. However, i think being an investor will motivate some folks a bit more and can be of assistance to the business. However, im not sure what the legal downsides are to a large number of investors.

i don't think so. It just means that more people are motivated to go above and beyond to assist at promoting, brainstorming and such. Most of the folks in here would do some promoting anyway. However, i think being an investor will motivate some folks a bit more and can be of assistance to the business. However, im not sure what the legal downsides are to a large number of investors.
I think in theory, you're right..but not sure how much influence 50 people who don't live in the area can have over a local restaurant.

I think in theory, you're right..but not sure how much influence 50 people who don't live in the area can have over a local restaurant.
:goodposting: That was my line of thought.

I think you guys under estimate the power of social networking. I'm not saying the success of the restaurant is tied to having a large number of investors. However, i do think 50-100 people who don't reside in NOLA, but have a vested interest in seeing McClure's succeed could still have a measurable effect on the restaurant. Plus, at least right now, i don't see a downside to it. Just my 2 cents though.

fbg's has had a measurable effect over the years for Dante's. I've fed dozens of you & the folks you have sent my way over the years. I've even fed a few fbgs from out of town at mcclures already...4 months and i am drawing out of towners...unheard of.

I think you guys under estimate the power of social networking. I'm not saying the success of the restaurant is tied to having a large number of investors. However, i do think 50-100 people who don't reside in NOLA, but have a vested interest in seeing McClure's succeed could still have a measurable effect on the restaurant. Plus, at least right now, i don't see a downside to it. Just my 2 cents though.
Oh I definitely agree there's no downside, and word of mouth/social network is an obvious play here; I just think there's only so much influence one can have being far away. Maybe I just took the initial statement too literally. No biggie.

Oh I definitely agree there's no downside, and word of mouth/social network is an obvious play here; I just think there's only so much influence one can have being far away. Maybe I just took the initial statement too literally. No biggie.
Interesting article in the NY Times today about the fund of the Godspell revival, which was done at a minimum of $1k investment and has something like 700 investors. Definitely the phenomenon described has been evident in that instance, as the small investors are much more likely to be talking it up to their families and friends, etc. Unfortunately for them, the effect of that has been almost non-existent, as the box-office take has been lackluster. I tend to agree that it won't have much effect but would make it more fun and couldn't hurt.tipsy, I know you're all over this but I can't stress strongly enough how much you need good legal advice right now. You have possibly already begun a "general solicitation" in the eyes of the SEC, and that is subject to a host of rules, only some of which have been touched on here (such as the accredited investor concept). The JOBS Act could help somewhat in this regard, but it was only just signed and it takes a while for the SEC to promulgate and finalize the rule-making under it. I just get more and more worried the farther I read in the thread, so please be careful!

ETA: Here's the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems like a waste of money to me. Maybe I'm missing something. If you can raise $150k, why waste 10% of it (or whatever it is) paying for brick/engraving when you have interested investors who are willing to go into it without shtickbricks ™?

Interesting article in the NY Times today about the fund of the Godspell revival, which was done at a minimum of $1k investment and has something like 700 investors. Definitely the phenomenon described has been evident in that instance, as the small investors are much more likely to be talking it up to their families and friends, etc. Unfortunately for them, the effect of that has been almost non-existent, as the box-office take has been lackluster. I tend to agree that it won't have much effect but would make it more fun and couldn't hurt.

tipsy, I know you're all over this but I can't stress strongly enough how much you need good legal advice right now. You have possibly already begun a "general solicitation" in the eyes of the SEC, and that is subject to a host of rules, only some of which have been touched on here (such as the accredited investor concept). The JOBS Act could help somewhat in this regard, but it was only just signed and it takes a while for the SEC to promulgate and finalize the rule-making under it. I just get more and more worried the farther I read in the thread, so please be careful!

well...poop. i want to make this legal. I guess ill get a lawyer soon and figure this all out with Colin.

Hi Tipsy. I'm in. Been watching this thread but haven't posted. Met you about a year ago at Dante's with my wife when we were in town for the WSOP.

Interesting article in the NY Times today about the fund of the Godspell revival, which was done at a minimum of $1k investment and has something like 700 investors. Definitely the phenomenon described has been evident in that instance, as the small investors are much more likely to be talking it up to their families and friends, etc. Unfortunately for them, the effect of that has been almost non-existent, as the box-office take has been lackluster. I tend to agree that it won't have much effect but would make it more fun and couldn't hurt.

tipsy, I know you're all over this but I can't stress strongly enough how much you need good legal advice right now. You have possibly already begun a "general solicitation" in the eyes of the SEC, and that is subject to a host of rules, only some of which have been touched on here (such as the accredited investor concept). The JOBS Act could help somewhat in this regard, but it was only just signed and it takes a while for the SEC to promulgate and finalize the rule-making under it. I just get more and more worried the farther I read in the thread, so please be careful!

well...poop. i want to make this legal. I guess ill get a lawyer soon and figure this all out with Colin.
Don't mean to bring you down. Anything that's happened already can be taken care of without negative consequences with a good lawyer--he/she will just have to be sure you're on solid ground on an offering memorandum (essentially the private version of a prospectus) and such. When you look, please find someone who specializes in securities law, and especially venture capital as well. Too often people will have a "friend" who's a lawyer in whatever with no specialty in this and will get you in bad straits. Wish I could help but as an in-house lawyer I can't even give you pro bono services on this. I can just advise that it's well worth whatever you pay to have it buttoned up correctly.

'krista4 said:
'tipsy mcstagger said:
'krista4 said:

Don't mean to bring you down. Anything that's happened already can be taken care of without negative consequences with a good lawyer--he/she will just have to be sure you're on solid ground on an offering memorandum (essentially the private version of a prospectus) and such. When you look, please find someone who specializes in securities law, and especially venture capital as well. Too often people will have a "friend" who's a lawyer in whatever with no specialty in this and will get you in bad straits. Wish I could help but as an in-house lawyer I can't even give you pro bono services on this. I can just advise that it's well worth whatever you pay to have it buttoned up correctly.
all good..just wish other things could be as simple as watching fire burn.

'tipsy mcstagger said:
'Bob Sacamano said:
This seems like a waste of money to me. Maybe I'm missing something. If you can raise $150k, why waste 10% of it (or whatever it is) paying for brick/engraving when you have interested investors who are willing to go into it without shtickbricks ™?
bricks are dead
:kicksrock:

'krista4 said:
'tipsy mcstagger said:
'krista4 said:

So the SEC that "let" financial institutions just about trash the world's economy are going to be worried about the financing for a new barbecue joint?

'krista4 said:
'tipsy mcstagger said:
'krista4 said:

So the SEC that "let" financial institutions just about trash the world's economy are going to be worried about the financing for a new barbecue joint?
Obviously that's unlikely, though the fact we're all posting about it on a public forum doesn't help and the SEC feeds on little guys all day long. But I thought tipsy would probably prefer to comply with the law whether or not he thinks he'll be found out. And in the best case, if his business really blows up, he'll particularly be happy to have done things right if he wanted to attract big-time investors, for instance.

'tipsy mcstagger said:
'Bob Sacamano said:
bricks are dead
:kicksrock:
for now that is....sorry...im going to do some with friends for low amounts tied into gift certs.

Re: the bricks.

I would think that the image of the 'heart' of the restaurant being a testament to the social nature of the capital fundraising venture would be PR gold. I feel like that's the kind of thing that a show like Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives would just eat up.

Maybe instead of selling bricks at a lower rate, engrave a brick for each investor. It could produce quite a bit of Internet buzz (even on other boards, reddit etc)

Just a thought.

"Convivial utility seems to be his aim. Right now he is avoiding bank officers by lining up some financial backing from friends and acquaintances from around the country he’s entertained over the past decade."

:coffee:

:thumbup:
Other pop-ups are to be determined, and his attention is also slightly divided as he prepares to be part of a large, ambitious team competing in the World BBQ Championship contest that is part of Memphis in May, a festival that rivals Jazz Fest in size and scope.
:coffee:

I assumed the bricks idea was a way to get around some "rules". instead of officially investing, we are buying a brick "wink wink" but I could be wrong.

I love hearing this story. Great job :banned:

I assumed the bricks idea was a way to get around some "rules". instead of officially investing, we are buying a brick "wink wink" but I could be wrong.I love hearing this story. Great job :banned:
i want to keep it on the up & up...but that is a great idea.

oh the perks of being a food guy people like.... Check out this invite only event going on during the 2nd Friday of Jazz Fest (when all these musicians should either be at the Fest or sleeping from late night stuff for 2 weeks straight). Of course...they wanted some bbq :)

:pickle: best party of year

oh the perks of being a food guy people like.... Check out this invite only event going on during the 2nd Friday of Jazz Fest (when all these musicians should either be at the Fest or sleeping from late night stuff for 2 weeks straight). Of course...they wanted some bbq :)

ARRRGHHH!!!!! I am actually considering abandoning my tickets for Memphis Musicfest that weekend to come down for this.

Great Googly Moogly that looks like a damn good time.

ARRRGHHH!!!!! I am actually considering abandoning my tickets for Memphis Musicfest that weekend to come down for this.

Great Googly Moogly that looks like a damn good time.
u will probably be very sick of me by the end of may as it is :_)

Tipsy - I asked this a while back and hopefully you just missed it - but where ya at during Jazzfest? - I'm down for the full week plus starting Thursday and wouldn't mind finding you and your Q.

Tipsy - I asked this a while back and hopefully you just missed it - but where ya at during Jazzfest? - I'm down for the full week plus starting Thursday and wouldn't mind finding you and your Q.
I am at the Rusty Nail down near the ww2 museum on this Friday from 4 pm to 2 am and also lunch @ dantes kitchen (uptown near zoo) from 1130 = 130. , then i am open for my last night at dantes next tuesday night from 6 till 10. Wednesday @ the rusty nail for a greatful dead festival, private party that friday night (may 4) and i finish that night at rusty nail from 11 - 3 am. after that ...no clue really...hope to see ya. send me an email when you get in. mccluresbarbecue@gmail.com

'tipsy mcstagger said:
'ffldrew said:
I am at the Rusty Nail down near the ww2 museum on this Friday from 4 pm to 2 am and also lunch @ dantes kitchen (uptown near zoo) from 1130 = 130. , then i am open for my last night at dantes next tuesday night from 6 till 10. Wednesday @ the rusty nail for a greatful dead festival, private party that friday night (may 4) and i finish that night at rusty nail from 11 - 3 am. after that ...no clue really...hope to see ya. send me an email when you get in. mccluresbarbecue@gmail.com
Thanks - I'll drop a line. Lots of great shows the next week and great food - hope my liver can make it.ETA - what do you think walk is like from Embassy on Julia to Rusty Nail at night? I've never walked that direction past the Howlin Wolf

two friends have stepped forward and verbally committed to fund more than half of my goal. this is just unreal to me...its really going to happen i think.

i will say it is also making me consider a better space again. if i can go a little bigger with my planning, than i will be in a better position to end up in a sexier location.

Users who are viewing this thread