What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mel Kiper's Feb 8th Mock (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicycle_seat_sniffer

Smells like chicken
here is some highlights:1- Alex smith - SF2 - Benson - Miami3 - A.rodger - Cleve4 - B.Edwards - Chi5 - Cadillac - TB6- Pac-man - Tenn7. - Dan COdy - Oak8. - Ronnie Brown- Arz9. - Mike Williams - Wash10. - Marcus Spears - Det11. - Travis Johnson - Dall12. Derrick Johnson - SD13. Troy Williamson - Hou14. Alex Barron - Car15. Shawne Merriman - KC16. Brodney Pool - NO17. Roddy White - Cincy18. Shaun Cody - Minn19. E.James - Stl20. Antrell Rolle- Dall21. - Khalif Barnes - Jax22. - Mark Clayton - Balt23. - Matt Roth - Sea24. Tom Davis -GB25. Demarcus Ware - Den26. Carlos Rogers - NYJ27. Brandon Browner - Atl28. Roscoe Parrish - SD29. Anttaj Hawthorne - IND30. Heath Miller -Pitt31. Reggie Brown - Phi32. Channing Crowder - NEDoes not have Pollack, Jamal Brown or Justin Tuck going in the first round at all.If anyone wants to know any other picks ask, and I'll tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see Tuck going in round 1 and Jammal Brown slipping would not be much of a suprise. He seems to have a beef with Derrick Johnson and I don't understand why. When Ahmad Brooks was considering the draft, Kiper said he would project and get drafted ahead of Johnson, which makes very little sense. I would be suprised if Johnson slips that far.Colin

I doubt the Titans take Pac Man at six. They'd take Mike Williams at six if the draft goes like Kiper says. I do see Pac Man moving up due to his speed.

I would be surprised to see Johnson slip to 12 as well. Marcus Spears at 10? Mel had him out of the first round before the senior bowl, now a top ten? He must have really impressed him there.

I would be surprised to see Johnson slip to 12 as well. Marcus Spears at 10? Mel had him out of the first round before the senior bowl, now a top ten? He must have really impressed him there.
Kiper has a habit of working about 250 players in to his mocks at various points so he can refer back to them as "a guy I had highly rated" on draft day. I think someone will likely trade up to get Spears. Also, of all the teams not named San Fran or Miami in round 1, I'd say the Lions are most inclined to trade down.

DJ seems to be the closest thing to a blue chipper in this draft and he is not in Mel's top ten :shock:

Outside of the 1st 5 picks (which everyone seems to have the same), not much in there seens realistic to me other than Davis to GB. All and all, I don't like it.

7 of his first 9 are skill position players on offense . . . has there ever been a draft that went this way? Maybe he's just trying to get the fantasy community to keep talking about him ;)

DJ seems to be the closest thing to a blue chipper in this draft and he is not in Mel's top ten :shock:
Kiper has a habit of ranking LBs lower than they otherwise would be. I know one of his schticks (and there's some truth to it) is that LB is a position most NFL teams don't feel warrants overpaying for (which jibes with LB being a modestly priced position relative to some others).But I'm with Colin that it would take a lot for DJ to NOT be in the Top 10 when all is said and done.

7 of his first 9 are skill position players on offense . . . has there ever been a draft that went this way? Maybe he's just trying to get the fantasy community to keep talking about him ;)
The Great Draft of '99 had 7 in the first 10 and 10 in the first 13 including such talents as Akili Smith and Troy Walters Edwards.Colin

DJ is going top 10....no doubt with the level of talent in this draft, not that he doesnt deserve it.I have him going to Miami at 2 in my mock

Derrick Johnson will be playing in Dallas if he slips to them, not SD. If Dallas doesn't get him, it looks like Shawne Merriman, a good pass rusher might be in Bid D.

If anyone wants to know any other picks ask, and I'll tell.
What's he got for the Ravens? Also, I thought Al Davis had some serious man-love for Mike Williams. Are others projecting that he slip past that point as well?

If the Bears take Braylen Edwards with that pick... I'll quit, I just cant take it anymore. I may have to move. :wall: :wall: :wall: Edwards wouldnt have gone in the first round last year. Now he's a top 5 pick?

If the Bears take Braylen Edwards with that pick... I'll quit, I just cant take it anymore. I may have to move. :wall: :wall: :wall: Edwards wouldnt have gone in the first round last year. Now he's a top 5 pick?
Do you think that Edwards has not improved at all as a WR and Football player in that years time? I mean serioulsy, he went back to get better. Which he DID DO. He got much better IMO.

Do you think that Edwards has not improved at all as a WR and Football player in that years time? I mean serioulsy, he went back to get better. Which he DID DO. He got much better IMO.
No, i mean if he went into last years draft with this year under his belt (magically).Do you think he's better right now than these guys were last year?Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Lee Evans, Michael Clayton, Michael Jenkins, and Rashaun Woods? I dont think Edwards could hold Rashaun Woods jock. This is a down year for WRs, if you have to take one high it ought to be Mike Williams.

He's uncoverable at times, but he also still drops too many balls for my liking.Colin

No, i mean if he went into last years draft with this year under his belt (magically).Do you think he's better right now than these guys were last year?Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Lee Evans, Michael Clayton, Michael Jenkins, and Rashaun Woods? I dont think Edwards could hold Rashaun Woods jock. This is a down year for WRs, if you have to take one high it ought to be Mike Williams.
Yeah, but we aren't comparing him to last years crop, only this years. So him going that high is understandable given the situaiton. Of course I would rather have several other guys from last years group, it was arguable the best WR draft ever. Jenkins and Woods are not 2 of them though.This is a bad class in general though, so a lot of guys will go higher than they would in other years.

This is a bad class in general though, so a lot of guys will go higher than they would in other years.
I agree with that, which is all the more reason not to burn a high draft pick on a guy that isnt going to make that kind of impact. Trade down and get some depth, the Bears have enough holes. My philosophy with high draft picks is, if the guy isnt 'special' and rated to be a difference maker somehow, dont take him or trade down. I'd rather gamble on a guy that has some question marks but could be a true gamebreaker like Mike Williams. Williams beats out Edwards in every department, he just doesnt have the resume. The problem with Edwards is taht he is just 'very good' at a lot of things, size, speed, routes, hands, blocking. I want someone that excels somewhere, even if there are difficencies.

I doubt the Titans take Pac Man at six. They'd take Mike Williams at six if the draft goes like Kiper says. I do see Pac Man moving up due to his speed.
Agree - titans will not pass on Mike Williams.

As an NFL prospect, I think Edwards certainly ranks ahead of Woods and Jenkins.

As an NFL prospect, I think Edwards certainly ranks ahead of Woods and Jenkins.
Absolutely. Colin

As an NFL prospect, I think Edwards certainly ranks ahead of Woods and Jenkins
I should clarify, Edwards is a worthy first round pick (mid-late) for a team that needs a solid complimentary reciever. I could see him in a Raiders or Titans jersey. But I'd take Woods if i was looking to gamble on a homerun hitter. Not Jenkins though, but you might take Jenkins if you're looking for a possession guy. Thats my problem with Edwards, he's not a burning, not a huge redzone target, doesnt have great hands, he only makes sense on a limited number of rosters imo_Of course he'll probably go and prove me wrong. But not as a Bear, im sure of that.

A WR pick for the Bengals could make sense if you figure:1) Housh is gone.2) Warrick just isn't ever gonna be healthy enough to fulfill his original promise.3) The guy is at that point clearly the best available player.Having said all that, this probably illustrates what I think very well could happen in that the Bengals would trade out of that pick if they figure they could get the guy they want later, as they did with Chris Perry. A lot of the Bengals later round picks in '04 panned out (Madieu Williams, Ratliff, to name a couple).-QG

As an NFL prospect, I think Edwards certainly ranks ahead of Woods and Jenkins
I should clarify, Edwards is a worthy first round pick (mid-late) for a team that needs a solid complimentary reciever. I could see him in a Raiders or Titans jersey. But I'd take Woods if i was looking to gamble on a homerun hitter. Not Jenkins though, but you might take Jenkins if you're looking for a possession guy. Thats my problem with Edwards, he's not a burning, not a huge redzone target, doesnt have great hands, he only makes sense on a limited number of rosters imo_Of course he'll probably go and prove me wrong. But not as a Bear, im sure of that.
:confused: Woods was the slowest of the WRs taken in the 1st round last season. Obviously, speed doesn't always = "home run threat" but it sure does help. Edwards will likely be a full tenth faster than Woods was last year.COlin

If the Lions can't trade down, I could see them drafting Spears at 10. He has the ability to be a dominate player in the NFL at DE and I wouldn't mind if the Lions took a shot at him. Either way, I think they need DE or S help in round 1.

I would have said DL was a strong point for the Lions.Harrington got beaten up by alot of guys here and in the press.What's the consensus on him now? Would they draft/replace him at QB or stick it out and see how he pans out?I'm not a college ball fan, just read NFL stuff. the more NFL draft reviews I read, the more it seems the first handful of teams should trade down. I can't recall it being like this in the past. There's usually player X will fit in nicely.For example, I don't see why the niners would draft a QB. Rattay had a good first year for a starter. He took some awfully hard hits and I don't think he's so bad at all. Dorsey was poised and special in preseason and a mope in the regular season. Does he have any potential still or is he "done"? Then there's the thread on here about Garcia....why take a QB? I've read countless Mike Williams posts here for the last TWO years. Now you guys say another WR might be better and debate that. After Rice, then Owens, I think you could make a case for the niners taking a WR than a QB. They have nice young talent at WR already, I know, but I don't know that they have a guy with awesome talent like Rice and Owens...a marquee name. That's iffy too, right? Well then there's Benson and Peterson that you guys love. How 'bout saying adios Barlow? Or how bout a good T to anchor their line? The more I look at these mocks the more I think they'd be foolish to NOT trade down.I would bet Parcells gets a LBer with size. I feel like from his musings in the papers that he misses a big bruising LBer. Needless to say how cool it'd be for him to have Roy coming from behind him smacking people too. LBers have been the heart of every Parcells team. I don't feel that way about Dallas. They got good fast guys but it doesn't seem the same to me.

7. - Dan COdy - Oak12. Derrick Johnson - SD
See, now this is just ridiculous.Why would you select a Tweener like Cody ahead of Derrick Johnson?OAK already has their tweener experiment in Tyler Brayton... and that didn't last long either.If you want an OLB, then take the best one.... DJIf you want a 4-3 DE, take one...JamesIf you want a 3-4 DE, take one.... SpearsAnd Roddy White PLUS Reggie Brown in the 1st? THrow in Williamson, because he's going to grade higher than both those guys, that means 6 WRs in the first round when the class is substantially weaker than last year's which put 7 WR in RD 1.I don't see this mock making a lot of sense. Then again, I haven't actually seen it. :lol:

Woods was the slowest of the WRs taken in the 1st round last season.
According to my numbers, Reggie Williams and Michael Clayton were slower. Here's what I have for last years 1st round WR's:

1. Roy Williams - 4.37, 4.42, AVG 4.395

2. Michael Jenkins - 4.38, 4.42, AVG 4.40

3. Lee Evans - 4.40, 4.44, AVG 4.42

4. Larry Fitgerald - 4.47, 4.51, AVG 4.49

5. ReShaun Woods - 4.50, 4.57, AVG 4.535

6. Michael Clayton - 4.54, 4.54, AVG 4.54

7. Reggie Williams - 4.48, 4.49, 4.56, 4.58, 4.64, AVG 4.55

What numbers do you have for him?

Woods was the slowest of the WRs taken in the 1st round last season.
According to my numbers, Reggie Williams and Michael Clayton were slower. Here's what I have for last years 1st round WR's:

1. Roy Williams - 4.37, 4.42, AVG 4.395

2. Michael Jenkins - 4.38, 4.42, AVG 4.40

3. Lee Evans - 4.40, 4.44, AVG 4.42

4. Larry Fitgerald - 4.47, 4.51, AVG 4.49

5. ReShaun Woods - 4.50, 4.57, AVG 4.535

6. Michael Clayton - 4.54, 4.54, AVG 4.54

7. Reggie Williams - 4.48, 4.49, 4.56, 4.58, 4.64, AVG 4.55

What numbers do you have for him?
I had a 4.51 for Reggie, a 4.55 for Woods, a 4.52 for Jenkins, and a 4.59 for Clayton.So, Clayton was slower, and frankly, the differences here are pretty minimal.

Colin

Hey Guys,I know this thread has been given some leeway, but as you know we don't allow premium subscriber content to be posted from other sites and while having a discussion and a few anecdotal mentions is one thing, having the entire round posted far outside any acceptable grey area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread