What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Men's Watches - $200 and under (1 Viewer)

I probably posted this in the thread already, but Skagen has some nice inexpensive watches - very light, which is a plus in my book.
They do look damn good.I saw this one on the web, but I can't find it anywhere to buy...

Skagen

Gorgeous.
The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is *the* sports watch of the '80s. Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.
$6,950 retail !In Philadelphia... it's worth fifty bucks.

I probably posted this in the thread already, but Skagen has some nice inexpensive watches - very light, which is a plus in my book.
They do look damn good.I saw this one on the web, but I can't find it anywhere to buy...

Skagen

Gorgeous.
The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is *the* sports watch of the '80s. Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.
$6,950 retail !In Philadelphia... it's worth fifty bucks.
How much for the gun?

Skagen

Gorgeous.
Here
That watch looks like a Chinese chick I once dated. I think I'm down to just a few to chose from. What do you boys think about these two:

This one or this one? I think I like the Bulova better but not having to mess with a battery would be very nice.

Blacks chicks at work like this one but I'm not sure how practical that one is (I ooze practicality but also love black women so it is a bit of a conundrum).

Skagen

Gorgeous.
Here
That watch looks like a Chinese chick I once dated. I think I'm down to just a few to chose from. What do you boys think about these two:

This one or this one? I think I like the Bulova better but not having to mess with a battery would be very nice.

Blacks chicks at work like this one but I'm not sure how practical that one is (I ooze practicality but also love black women so it is a bit of a conundrum).
:lol:

I'm looking for a casual brown leather watch for wearing to work. What do you think of this one?http://www.amazon.com/Bulova-96A108-Automatic-Mechanical-Strap/dp/B002C53TWW/ref=pd_sim_watch_1
I have looked through 1000+ watches the last few days, that one was in my top 20 FWTIW.

'Eephus said:
'Doctor Detroit said:
'fochs13 said:
I'm looking for a casual brown leather watch for wearing to work. What do you think of this one?http://www.amazon.com/Bulova-96A108-Automatic-Mechanical-Strap/dp/B002C53TWW/ref=pd_sim_watch_1
I have looked through 1000+ watches the last few days, that one was in my top 20 FWTIW.
I like the brown one better than the chav styles you posted
The Citizen is chav? You really think so?

'Eephus said:
'Doctor Detroit said:
'fochs13 said:
I liked the Citizen the best of the three you posted. I'm not generally a huge fan of Roman numerals or day of the week indicators (if I can't remember it's Thursday, I'm probably too far gone to tell the time). The Bulova looked better in the photos than the stock shot but at 44mm with a 24mm band, it's a couple of mm big on both counts.The one with the diamonds was chav--Mrs. Eephus is black and wears the jewels in my family.

'Eephus said:
'Doctor Detroit said:
'fochs13 said:
I'm looking for a casual brown leather watch for wearing to work. What do you think of this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Bulova-96A108-Automatic-Mechanical-Strap/dp/B002C53TWW/ref=pd_sim_watch_1
I liked the Citizen the best of the three you posted. I'm not generally a huge fan of Roman numerals or day of the week indicators (if I can't remember it's Thursday, I'm probably too far gone to tell the time). The Bulova looked better in the photos than the stock shot but at 44mm with a 24mm band, it's a couple of mm big on both counts.The one with the diamonds was chav--Mrs. Eephus is black and wears the jewels in my family.
Good call on the girth of the Bulova, reading reviews saying the same now. I like the Citizen though. I think if I had money but didn't act like I had money, the diamond accented Bulova would be awesome shtick. I do like the Marine style watches though.

I think trying one of these Precisionists might be worth a try. Not a fan of real plain watches, but this is nice. I really like this one as well. In fact, I like that one more every time I look at it like the chick we call "Wonder woman" at work.

Skagen

Gorgeous.
Here

Silver Bulova ny far the best looking of those 3

Well I bought that Bulova and really like it. So much so that I've decided to but another one in this price range.

Looking for somethign with a blue face. Which of these do you guys like?

Swiss Army

Swiss Army 2

Tissot 1

Tissot 2

Invicta

Zmach was saying Invicta's felt cheap. Anyone else with any experience with them? There is a Bulova that I like as well with the blue face but I just bought one and wanted something else. I have a Swiss Army watch I bought ten+ years ago that I use for outdoor activities and sports, and the thing has held up like a champ taking a ton of abuse. Love both those Tissots.

If you're looking for an update of a classic dress watch, this Tissot Visodate is very nice and in the sub-$500 range I think. It got a retro look but at 40mm it's larger than a vintage piece.

The relative strength of the Swiss Franc isn't helping prices any. The higher end import-only Seikos like these have also gone up dramatically in the past couple of years.
those are some nice pieces. i haven't seen those and very intrigued.
Somehow I missed that link before, might have to change it up because lots to like in there.

Well I bought that Bulova and really like it. So much so that I've decided to but another one in this price range.

Swiss Army

Swiss Army 2

Tissot 1

Tissot 2

Invicta

Zmach was saying Invicta's felt cheap. Anyone else with any experience with them? There is a Bulova that I like as well with the blue face but I just bought one and wanted something else. I have a Swiss Army watch I bought ten+ years ago that I use for outdoor activities and sports, and the thing has held up like a champ taking a ton of abuse. Love both those Tissots.
I like the last one, the Invicta, though I've never heard of them.The first one is also cool, but I think the Invicta looks nicer. The numbers and band make it look more distinctive. Has harder lines making it look more rugged. Best band of the lot, too.

2nd SA is too plane.

3rd watch is too busy, although the more I looked at it, the more I liked it (ended up trumping the SA).

4th is the better looking of the simpler looking ones, but with that look, you wanna go with a really, really nice watch, imo.

Yeah, the last one is easily it for me.

Swiss Army

Swiss Army 2

Tissot 1

Tissot 2

Invicta

I like the last one, the Invicta, though I've never heard of them.The first one is also cool, but I think the Invicta looks nicer. The numbers and band make it look more distinctive. Has harder lines making it look more rugged. Best band of the lot, too.

2nd SA is too plane.

3rd watch is too busy, although the more I looked at it, the more I liked it (ended up trumping the SA).

4th is the better looking of the simpler looking ones, but with that look, you wanna go with a really, really nice watch, imo.

The Invicta is 52mm in diameter w/out crown. You need a big wrist to be able to pull that off without it looking like a clown watch.

I am a big fan of Calloway (yes the golf company) watches. I have three of them. The nicest of the bunch looks like this.

Swiss Army

Swiss Army 2

Tissot 1

Tissot 2

Invicta

2nd SA is too plane.

Went #1. The issue I have with the Invictas is that they offer tons of watches that look like Rolex ripoffs for under $100. I also read some reviews saying there were real problems with their automatic watches, losing several minutes a week and such.I like the Swiss Army line and went to Jared :wub: to look at the quality and such which I really like. I also have one that is about ten years old that has never missed a beat and I've tried to kill that watch.

Final two were #1 and another Swiss Army I found in the store. I could seriously look at watches for hours. :unsure: :bag:

Anyone into Luxury watches on the high end?
I like to look at them, a lot. Does that count?
Just wondering if folks had opinions on them. I have an Omega Seamaster but currently looking for more a formal watch and was wondering if people had views. Thinking about an IWC portofino.
Love the Omega, but would never spend that much on a watch. When my father in law went to China he got me Rolex knock-off but I don't wear it because who is going to believe I'm wearing a 5 to 7 thousand dollar watch. I would love a Omega or Tag knock-off but he doesn't go to China anymore. Any places on line to get decent knock offs?

Skagen

Gorgeous.
Here
I'll take a PM. :pics:

Swiss Army

Swiss Army 2

Tissot 1

Tissot 2

Invicta

2nd SA is too plane.

Went #1. The issue I have with the Invictas is that they offer tons of watches that look like Rolex ripoffs for under $100. I also read some reviews saying there were real problems with their automatic watches, losing several minutes a week and such.I like the Swiss Army line and went to Jared :wub: to look at the quality and such which I really like. I also have one that is about ten years old that has never missed a beat and I've tried to kill that watch.

Final two were #1 and another Swiss Army I found in the store. I could seriously look at watches for hours. :unsure: :bag:
Love that swiss army in the 1st link. That will be my new present from someone.

'Doctor Detroit said:
'Redwes25 said:
'Doctor Detroit said:
'Redwes25 said:
Just wondering if folks had opinions on them. I have an Omega Seamaster but currently looking for more a formal watch and was wondering if people had views. Thinking about an IWC portofino.
My link
Nice watch but a lot like my Omega. This is what I am looking at in Stainless steel with black band - http://www.iwc.com/en-us/collection/portofino/IW3565/

Also, I just hate Tags. Please dont buy those.

'Doctor Detroit said:
'Redwes25 said:
'Doctor Detroit said:
'Redwes25 said:
My link
Nice watch but a lot like my Omega. This is what I am looking at in Stainless steel with black band - http://www.iwc.com/en-us/collection/portofino/IW3565/

I like the Omegas and Breitlings best.

'Doctor Detroit said:
'Redwes25 said:
'Doctor Detroit said:
'Redwes25 said:
My link

I am a fan as well but to me they are more of a sports watch/every day watch. I am looking more for a business meeting type of watch. If that makes any sense.

Not sure what a Swiss Army watch is running these days but my wife bought me one about 6 or 7 years ago, thing runs like a champ and has survived a lot of banging around.

'Doctor Detroit said:
'Redwes25 said:
'Doctor Detroit said:
'Redwes25 said:
My link

I am a fan as well but to me they are more of a sports watch/every day watch. I am looking more for a business meeting type of watch. If that makes any sense.
It does, the problem is you don't like Tags and those are really in that zone. Here

are

some

I like

Not sure if you like Cartier, but they have some stuff that isn't too bad.

I guess you find the style and then go from there. Not sure what people wear to business meetings or what is expected in your industry.

ETA: FOUND IT!

Last edited by a moderator:
this is what I'm wearing right now. I got a great deal for it... $50 on the streets of Hong Kong.

It's accurate to within a minute a day!

Looking for a watch to wear for more formal occasions. Can't really decide between these 3. The first one I like, but wish it had some diamonds in there. The 2nd one is nice, but I think 36mm is kind of small. The 3rd is 40mm, has diamonds in there, but looks too busy for me. Anyone have something similar to suggest? Also is Bulova a good brand?

Bulova 40mm slv/blk

Bulova 36mm blk w/diamonds

Bulova 40mm blk

I don't mind a big watch since my casual watch is this beast:

Nixon 51-30 All Gold

Last edited by a moderator:
Also is Bulova a good brand?

Bulova 40mm slv/blk
Bulova is a solid brand, I like mine. Of the three you listed that one there is the best.
Bulova is now owned by Citizen
Good or bad thing?
Generally good I think. Citizen is a real watch company that makes their own movements, not just the Eco-Drive but also automatic and quartz movements under the Miyota brand. There are Japan-only Citizen models that go for over JPY 100,000.A lot of famous old brand names have been acquired by companies that job out production to the lowest bidder (mostly in China) which can lead to inconsistent QC.

Swiss Army

Swiss Army 2

Tissot 1

Tissot 2

Invicta

To answer DD - I have three Invicta watches and haven't had an issue with any of them. None of mine feel cheap at all, and I get an awful lot of "I love your watch", "cool watch", etc. comments when I wear them. They're not as nice as my Raymond Weil watches, but I like 'em a lot. YMMV

Looking for something with a blue face. Which of these do you guys like?

Swiss Army
Went #1.
Came in the mail today, very, very nice. Only complaint is the stem was in and the battery running which means I have no idea when it was pushed in. Date said the 29th, so who knows.Watch is flawless though and as the reviews I read stated, the on-line photos do it no justice. It's pretty heavy which some people don't like, but I love. Gotta go get it adjusted tomorrow but of the watches I've seen at the jewelry store, I like this one better than any in the price range so I think I made the right choice.

Im done with Fossils and Guess.The new styles seem to go for these giant dials with giant numbers. ugh... why?I think I just need to pony up and drop 400 for a nice one.I guess Tag Hauer and Seiko top my list. Movado is too up there.Anything else?
My last three watched were Fossil, Fossil, and Guess. All three were crap. None of them work right now. I use my cell phone. want to buy a something nice that will last me ten years,
Most <$100 watches with the possible exception of Casio, Seiko and a small handful of others are meant to be disposible. Production is jobbed out to Chinese factories. The watches have non-jeweled quartz movements, plastic spacers and poor water resistancy. They'll tell time fine until the battery dies or you get moisture inside. There's nothing wrong with them if you find a style you like.$100-$300 is a tough range because it includes watches that are functional equivalents of the cheapies but have a better brand name and case. It also includes higher quality quartz and lower end mechanical movements. I think the variability of quality at this price point is the highest.Once you get above $300, most but not all of the crap has been winnowed out. There's still a huge range of brands and styles. You can argue about quartz and mechanical or chrono vs. non-chrono models but most everything in this range should at least last a while.There are exceptions of course. You can get a G-Shock for $80 that's virtually indestructable, has a solar charged battery that should last a decade and will sync up to Fort Collins every night.
Price range wise are we talking retail or Amazon prices? It's crazy how big some of the savings are on Amazon.

Im done with Fossils and Guess.

The new styles seem to go for these giant dials with giant numbers. ugh... why?

I think I just need to pony up and drop 400 for a nice one.

I guess Tag Hauer and Seiko top my list. Movado is too up there.

Anything else?
My last three watched were Fossil, Fossil, and Guess. All three were crap. None of them work right now. I use my cell phone. want to buy a something nice that will last me ten years,
Most <$100 watches with the possible exception of Casio, Seiko and a small handful of others are meant to be disposible. Production is jobbed out to Chinese factories. The watches have non-jeweled quartz movements, plastic spacers and poor water resistancy. They'll tell time fine until the battery dies or you get moisture inside. There's nothing wrong with them if you find a style you like.$100-$300 is a tough range because it includes watches that are functional equivalents of the cheapies but have a better brand name and case. It also includes higher quality quartz and lower end mechanical movements. I think the variability of quality at this price point is the highest.

Once you get above $300, most but not all of the crap has been winnowed out. There's still a huge range of brands and styles. You can argue about quartz and mechanical or chrono vs. non-chrono models but most everything in this range should at least last a while.

There are exceptions of course. You can get a G-Shock for $80 that's virtually indestructable, has a solar charged battery that should last a decade and will sync up to Fort Collins every night.
Price range wise are we talking retail or Amazon prices? It's crazy how big some of the savings are on Amazon.
That's a good question. The watch I just bought was $250 but listed at $595 for the original price everywhere I looked and $416 here. I guess the market drives watches in this price range, seems to me that the higher end stuff (Rolex's on down) are pretty steady in pricing. Obviously Amazon is dealing in first in, first out bulk supply and prices do shift up and down there I noticed. :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread