What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Jordan or Lebron James? (1 Viewer)

Who is a bigger "gamer"?

• Jordan

Votes: 289 84.3%
  • Lebron

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • It's a vague, virtually meaningless word and nobody here has any idea what goes on in these guy&

Votes: 46 13.4%

• Total voters
Jordan missed almost an entire season cause he hurt his foot. What a quitter. Couldn't even suck it up and play through the pain. Guy had no heart, no passion. Definitely not a gamer.
To his credit, he showed up for the playoffs and dropped 63 on the Celtics. Lebron shows up for the regular season and then quits during Celtics playoff games.
How many games did they win? Oh yeah, got swept. If he had any heart he would have willed his team to victory but he took the easy way out. Scored some hollow points and called it quits. No heart.
Oh, you're talking about teams now? I was just talking about Michael Jordan's incredible on court performance vs Lebron's perrenial chokefests myself.
A player with any heart or will to win isn't satisfied by scoring empty points and getting swept. Couldn't even carry his team to a single win. What kind of ALPHA dog lets his team get swept in the first round?
Yeah, that's probably why Lebron avoided making the playoffs his 1st 2 years in the league. So that something like this couldn't possibly happen.
MJ realized he didn't have the stones to play against men so he decided to stay in college and play against boys. Not a surprise that he didn't want the challenge but LeBron did.

Jordan missed almost an entire season cause he hurt his foot. What a quitter. Couldn't even suck it up and play through the pain. Guy had no heart, no passion. Definitely not a gamer.
To his credit, he showed up for the playoffs and dropped 63 on the Celtics. Lebron shows up for the regular season and then quits during Celtics playoff games.
How many games did they win? Oh yeah, got swept. If he had any heart he would have willed his team to victory but he took the easy way out. Scored some hollow points and called it quits. No heart.
Oh, you're talking about teams now? I was just talking about Michael Jordan's incredible on court performance vs Lebron's perrenial chokefests myself.
A player with any heart or will to win isn't satisfied by scoring empty points and getting swept. Couldn't even carry his team to a single win. What kind of ALPHA dog lets his team get swept in the first round?
Yeah, that's probably why Lebron avoided making the playoffs his 1st 2 years in the league. So that something like this couldn't possibly happen.
MJ realized he didn't have the stones to play against men so he decided to stay in college and play against boys. Not a surprise that he didn't want the challenge but LeBron did.
The Olympics still didn't allow pros. MJ cared about his country, Lebron only cared about himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
The better question would be if you were a GM and both Jordan and Lebron were in this years draft...

Neither of their NBA careers happened. You are drafting on college and high school careers and skillset.

...who do you draft?
That's not a better question IMO because we are trying to measure them BY their NBA success.

Jordan didn't go #1 in his draft. Or #2. Lebron was the hottest commodity maybe ever. Certainly since maybe Ewing out of college or Kareem back when he was Lew.

The Olympics still didn't allow pros. MJ cared about his country, Lebron only cared about himself.
He just wanted to rack up more accolades for himself vs inferior competition. Par for the course for MJ.

Of the two, only MJ quit the game.
MJ never cramped out of a game that I know of. Especially a Finals game.
Jordan left Game 4 of the 1997 Finals with cramps.
Um, Jordan was on the floor when the buzzer rang.
He missed enough possessions to cost the Bulls the game. :shrug: The air conditioning wasn't broken in the building, either.ETA: change the premise again if you must, but it happened, Kev.
Remind me again, who won those finals?
If you have to ask that question, you succeed in both missing the point of my statement and demonstrating too little knowledge of basketball history to participate in this discussion. Perhaps you would be more comfortable over at the kiddie table.
Ah yes, now I remember why the NBA thread is full of jags. Because before they were Lebron nutswingers. they were Ferris nutswingers.

Should've made this public...

Can we get a list of Lebron voters (I just assume the Lebron being a bigger gamer is a shtick from those 3)?

It is impossible to compare the two right now. Jordan's career is over while Lebron is still playing. I am not a supporter of Lebron at all, but to even talk about Lebron being in the same category as Jordan while he is still playing has to say something about him as a player. Do I think he even sniffs Jordan's legacy right now, No, Could he? Certainly.

Cjw_55106 said:
You know what pissed me off about Jordan? When he couldn't win a title with his team so he colluded with the best FAs on the market to all go to the team so they could win. Oh, that wasn't him? Nevermind.
Yeah, and how about that Magic Johnson fella only coming out of college early if he could play with Kareem. What a freaking joke, right?

I really hope there is some validity to Melo going to Mia rumors... Maybe they can bring in Kevin Love too. He'll def go down as the best recruiter in the history of basketball, can't argue that.

fantasycurse42 said:
Should've made this public...

Can we get a list of Lebron voters (I just assume the Lebron being a bigger gamer is a shtick from those 3)?
Voted Jordan bigger gamer / Lebron on my team. Surprised more people didn't vote that way.

Futile to ask now. Lebron has another 8-10 years left in his career.

Stupid question. Yet it has 3 pages already. It's not a debate at this point. I don't understand this obsession with comparing players when one of them has yet to even come close to finishing his career.

The story for Lebron is at the mid-point.

No vote. It's dumb.

So what's the reason for having Lebron on your team rather than MJ? B/c he's a better teammate? I guess that's more important than having the guy that will get you more championships.

Stupid question. Yet it has 3 pages already. It's not a debate at this point. I don't understand this obsession with comparing players when one of them has yet to even come close to finishing his career.

B/c we're at work and there's not much else to do

LOL.....I hear ya.

LOL.....I hear ya.
He has 4 or 5 years left in his prime to solidify his legacy.

Bigger gamer :lmao:

3 1st round exits with 2 of those being sweeps and people consider him a gamer. :lmao:
This is either a shtick or the new bar being set for dumbest post in the thread.
Gamers don't get swept in the first round, Sparky.
They also don't fail to even get to the playoffs in their last two seasons. Should be interesting to see if James misses the playoffs his last two seasons.

Cliff setting the bar too low, no comment will appear that bad after reading his stuff. Ghost Rider riding his coattail though.

Cjw_55106 said:
You know what pissed me off about Jordan? When he couldn't win a title with his team so he colluded with the best FAs on the market to all go to the team so they could win. Oh, that wasn't him? Nevermind.
Yeah, and how about that Magic Johnson fella only coming out of college early if he could play with Kareem. What a freaking joke, right?
I'm sorry, I don't recall Magic even being part of this two man comparison.

So what's the reason for having Lebron on your team rather than MJ? B/c he's a better teammate? I guess that's more important than having the guy that will get you more championships.
So, you'd take Bill Russell over MJ?
So, you'd take Bill Russell over MJ?
And Horry over MJ.
It always amuses me when people start resorting to rings for their GOAT arguments.

MJ is tied for 10th in the ring department. Yet the discussion for GOAT is always who will catch MJ with 6 rings, Kobe? LeBron?

Wade has more rings then Lebron.

Horry has more rings then any of these guys but I wouldnt call him better then Jordan, Lebron, Kobe....

It was a different era, but I'd take Jordan. I had season tickets the day Jordan was drafted to when he left the game, so I'm biased. I'll concede that Lebron may be the most physically gifted player in NBA history, but Jordan had a fire and desire to win that I'd never seen before or since. He had "it". I also appreciated the struggle and the journey to get to the top of the mountain with a bad Bulls team. It was a once in a lifetime experience to see him play against NBA royalty like Magic, Bird and Isaiah, and to finally get the best of them after taking losses for years. I think if Lebron stayed with the Cavs, and endured the hard times, he would of finally gotten to the top with that team and the perception of him would be different.

Cjw_55106 said:
Its one of the big reasons why I rank Bird above him.

The better question would be if you were a GM and both Jordan and Lebron were in this years draft...

Neither of their NBA careers happened. You are drafting on college and high school careers and skillset.

...who do you draft?
That's not a better question IMO because we are trying to measure them BY their NBA success.

Jordan didn't go #1 in his draft. Or #2. Lebron was the hottest commodity maybe ever. Certainly since maybe Ewing out of college or Kareem back when he was Lew.
This is really an unfair argument because Jordan WAS supposed to go 1 or 2. If Houston doesn't tank to get the worst record in the league, Jordan gets drafted by Philadelphia at 1 or 2 and Olajuwon is picked by Portland. It's not as black and white as: "Oh, but Jordan was picked 3 after Bowie". Portland had zero interest in Jordan as they already drafted Drexler the year prior.

edit: because I need to proofread my stuff before submitting as always.

Perhaps Lebron when his career is over. Losing this NBA Finals in his prime would be a big hit, but he's the only player since Jordan that's even worth a discussion (and probably will be the only one for quite some time)
Why? The Spurs were 8 games better than the Heat this year, and there is no shame in losing to a vastly superior team. However, if James leads them to the title over a team that much better than them, that would do wonders for his legacy.
I realize I don't watch the NBA much anymore but how does the Heat only win 54 games?

Also, how are the Spurs a vastly superior team despite Tony Parker being the only player they had in the All Star game (as a reserve) while the Heat had Lebron and Wade starting and Bosh as a reserve?

It was a different era, but I'd take Jordan. I had season tickets the day Jordan was drafted to when he left the game, so I'm biased. I'll concede that Lebron may be the most physically gifted player in NBA history, but Jordan had a fire and desire to win that I'd never seen before or since. He had "it". I also appreciated the struggle and the journey to get to the top of the mountain with a bad Bulls team. It was a once in a lifetime experience to see him play against NBA royalty like Magic, Bird and Isaiah, and to finally get the best of them after taking losses for years. I think if Lebron stayed with the Cavs, and endured the hard times, he would of finally gotten to the top with that team and the perception of him would be different.
This guy gets it.

Cjw_55106 said:
I'm sorry, I don't recall Magic even being part of this two man comparison.
Other all-time greats inevitably come up in these type of comparisons. It happens.

BTW, the answer right now is obviously Jordan, and will be a long time before James does enough to overtake him, but it is possible.

Perhaps Lebron when his career is over. Losing this NBA Finals in his prime would be a big hit, but he's the only player since Jordan that's even worth a discussion (and probably will be the only one for quite some time)
Why? The Spurs were 8 games better than the Heat this year, and there is no shame in losing to a vastly superior team. However, if James leads them to the title over a team that much better than them, that would do wonders for his legacy.
I realize I don't watch the NBA much anymore but how does the Heat only win 54 games?

Also, how are the Spurs a vastly superior team despite Tony Parker being the only player they had in the All Star game (as a reserve) while the Heat had Lebron and Wade starting and Bosh as a reserve?
Because they won 62 to the Heat's 54. The Heat basically cannot win unless James plays great. The Spurs can get a subpar game out of their best player or even have him not play and still win a playoff game against a top team (see: winning at OKC in game 6 without Parker in the 2nd half). The Spurs are simply a much better TEAM. The fact that the Heat will even be competitive, or maybe even win it, will mainly be because of LeBron James. I can't see how anyone would argue with that, especially when we saw how outclassed the Heat were at the end of Game 1 w/o him. Hell, you could argue that the Bulls were not the best team every year they won it in the 90s (one of those Jazz teams and the '93 Suns were arguably better), but the Bulls won because they had Jordan and the other team didn't.

Isnt there fan voting on this? If so then its a popularity contest not a whos deserving contest.

Wade got in based purely on popularity. The West is also lot better than the East, and it's a lot harder to make the ASG there. Leonard and Duncan would have easily been All Stars if they played in the East (and probably deserved to be in even in the West). What makes the Spurs better is also their depth. They are a lot deeper than Miami.

...who do you draft?
In this scenario, LeBron would be the answer. We have proof that Olajuwon and Bowie could also be ahead of Jordan.

If this were inclusive to all players, neither Jordan or LeBron would be at the top of the list, but it would be an absolutely fascinating draft to ponder. Alcindor would be the clear #1. Others including Walton, Shaq, Robertson, Sampson, Olowokowandi, Duncan, and Ewing would also be up there.
Yeah, since it's this year's draft. Garnett fell to 5 in a pretty crappy draft, and Kobe was an even lower pick. The success of those guys paved the way for Lebron to go #1 out of HS. Lebron isn't a top 3 pick in the 1984 draft though.

This year's draft, I'll go with Lebron since 1st year college guys get the advantage over guys that have played a few years of college ball, plus he's got the size advantage. That's going to give you the benefit of the doubt in most draft scenarios.
As the original question was posed in 2014, it's safe to assume we are talking about 2014. And do you seriously not understand the benefit of drafting on potential?

As for your ridiculous insinuation about the 1995 class coming in, I'll take that (along with the other substantial evidence in the NBA thread) to inform me that I'm wasting my time with you. :bye:
Jordan's potential would have graded out pretty high in today's day and age. He's got 4 inches on Wiggins (and Lebron) in vertical leap, doesn't have the same ball handling issues, has a better jumper, and has a far greater on court pedigree. He's like Wiggins on steroids on steroids. They put these two at the combine, and while Lebron is a bit bigger Jordan is going to destroy him in quickness and his head is higher when they jump. There isn't a large gap in potential either way.

It was pretty clear in 1995 that that was a weak draft class and Garnett was the most physically gifted and highest upside prospect in that draft. Even on the day of the draft it wasn't all that close. Garnett still fell because he was the first HS player since Moses to make the leap and there was a much higher level of risk before he and Kobe proved the transition could be made successfully in this day and age.

It's Jordan right now.

Both are great players. I think Jordan competed against better players; while right now Bron-Bron doesn't have an adversary in which he can to war with; thus hurting his legend. I think it speaks something about his character that he seems to want to make "friends" with potential adversaries (first with Wade and Bosh.....now rumored to be trying to play with Carmelo) rather than want to beat them. As of right now, Jordan's legacy is greater....... and it ain't even close.

Bron-Bron (and his fans), seem almost insecure about his greatness though. I do think his "testicular fortitude" takes a hit due to the idea that he had to go to a Championship team (and be Mrs. Wade for a couple of year)...while Jordan had the team come to him.

It's Jordan right now.

Both are great players. I think Jordan competed against better players; while right now Bron-Bron doesn't have an adversary in which he can to war with; thus hurting his legend. I think it speaks something about his character that he seems to want to make "friends" with potential adversaries (first with Wade and Bosh.....now rumored to be trying to play with Carmelo) rather than want to beat them. As of right now, Jordan's legacy is greater....... and it ain't even close.

Bron-Bron (and his fans), seem almost insecure about his greatness though. I do think his "testicular fortitude" takes a hit due to the idea that he had to go to a Championship team (and be Mrs. Wade for a couple of year)...while Jordan had the team come to him.
That's his personality and unlikely to change. When he played in high school on ESPN I remember the announcers constantly giving him credit for looking to pass first and what a great teammate he was.

He doesn't have the cutthroat intensity of Jordan and is more than willing to let others win games for his team.

It's Jordan right now.

Someone must have called Glenn Frey, because THE HEAT IS ON in here

That's his personality and unlikely to change. When he played in high school on ESPN I remember the announcers constantly giving him credit for looking to pass first and what a great teammate he was.
In the most candid interview I've seen with LeBron - at the ESPN desk shortly after clinching the Finals last year - LeBron talked about how he gets more of a kick from watching a teammate score off his pass than scoring himself. Magic Johnson's style of play was a big influence on him in his development as a player. I'm not too interested in debating whether that style of play is more or less competitive that Jordan's or whether it makes him a better or worse player, but IMO it's interesting that the casual fan and average HotTaker wants to compare LeBron to Jordan when LeBron is trying to model himself after Magic.

In the most candid interview I've seen with LeBron - at the ESPN desk shortly after clinching the Finals last year - LeBron talked about how he gets more of a kick from watching a teammate score off his pass than scoring himself. Magic Johnson's style of play was a big influence on him in his development as a player. I'm not too interested in debating whether that style of play is more or less competitive that Jordan's or whether it makes him a better or worse player, but IMO it's interesting that the casual fan and average HotTaker wants to compare LeBron to Jordan when LeBron is trying to model himself after Magic.
He's a better player than Magic due to being a better defender (by a mile) and a better scorer. I rank them side by side in my GOAT list. A couple of more years and LeBron surpasses Magic.

The comparison to Jordan comes when any superstar is mentioned as a candidate for greatest ever... Magic is a top 5 no question, probably top 3, but if you want your name to be mentioned as greatest ever, you will eventually be compared to MJ. Personally I think Magic will remain higher on the list than Lebron when it is all said and done too.

The comparison to Jordan comes when any superstar is mentioned as a candidate for greatest ever... Magic is a top 5 no question, probably top 3, but if you want your name to be mentioned as greatest ever, you will eventually be compared to MJ. Personally I think Magic will remain higher on the list than Lebron when it is all said and done too.
IMO it's way too early to make any guesses about how LeBron's career will finish. He's at the end of his age 29 season. Jordan went on his baseball sabbatical after his age 29 season. Magic was done winning titles at 28, and went on his HIV sabbatical after his age 31 season.

Maybe LeBron is done winning titles. Maybe he gets hurt. Maybe in his mid-30s he reinvents himself a facilitator PF and is the second- or third-best player on a title team when he is 40.

It's Jordan right now.

He doesn't have the cutthroat intensity of Jordan and is more than willing to let others win games for his team.
That hurts him. Let's face it. It's almost impossible to argue who's better talent wise; as both are the absolute best of the all-time best. So any comparisons or rivalry is based on intangibles, legacy and perception.....more of who is the better all-time brand than all-time basketball player. And to that, I don't see how anyone can argue Lebron over MJ. A Lebron supporter could (probably rightly) argue that the media/league is so different from MJ's era and that could negatively impact Lebron's brand when compared to the Jordan era....but I don't think that changes the opinion that Jordan is ALL-TIME!!!!!!!!.....while Lebron is All-Time!.

That's fair. Is he better than Magic?

:goodposting:

how are the Spurs a vastly superior team despite Tony Parker being the only player they had in the All Star game (as a reserve) while the Heat had Lebron and Wade starting and Bosh as a reserve?
Because there is more to a team than 1-3 players. The Spurs team play and results are greater than the sum of its parts. The Miami team play and results are less than the sum of its parts.

Users who are viewing this thread