What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Tomlin Intentionally Disrupted KO Return: Proof! (1 Viewer)

Cheesedawg

Footballguy
The NFL should hammer Tomlin and the Steelers. There is no question that he timed his move based on watching the play unfold on the Jumbotron, which Tomlin has already said he was doing. Also, this angle makes it clear that Jacoby Jones reacted to his action and it allowed him to be caught from behind.

Tomlin should be suspended as well as fined and it should not be a short suspension. I've always liked Tomlin, but that was pure bush league! I wonder how mad the Steelers will be at hometown KDKA over this.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/12/02/new-video-angle-shows-mike-tomlin-incident-league-considers-punishment/

The NFL should hammer Tomlin and the Steelers. There is no question that he timed his move based on watching the play unfold on the Jumbotron, which Tomlin has already said he was doing. Also, this angle makes it clear that Jacoby Jones reacted to his action and it allowed him to be caught from behind.

Tomlin should be suspended as well as fined and it should not be a short suspension. I've always liked Tomlin, but that was pure bush league! I wonder how mad the Steelers will be at hometown KDKA over this.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/12/02/new-video-angle-shows-mike-tomlin-incident-league-considers-punishment/
Damit if he did that and cost me 6 points from my Ravens DST, well now it's personal.

This is as bad as tripping a player. If he did it, suspend him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how you prove intent, but it sure looks bad. If you could prove that he did it on purpose, I think a very long suspension is in order. Since that's going to be nearly impossible, I imagine a fine and short suspension is what will happen.

I dont understand why it matters if it was intentional or not. He deserves a huge fine and/or suspension regardless.

I don't know how you prove intent, but it sure looks bad. If you could prove that he did it on purpose, I think a very long suspension is in order. Since that's going to be nearly impossible, I imagine a fine and short suspension is what will happen.
Maybe they can find a video where his mannerism looks like someone placing their feet to be at a precise spot instead of just ambling sidewise while focused somewhere else?

For one, I'm still surprised that nothing happened during the game. It was so obvious that, intent or not, Tomlin interfered.

Should have awarded the Ravens a TD, as that would send as clear a notice as possible that intent or otherwise, you interfere with the action on the field as a sideline participant you get an extreme penalty.

Now that it's too late for that, you have to suspend and for the same reason. We don't need to know he meant to do or or not . He did. Send a notice to the league that you interfere you get punished.

99% of Steeler fans thought he did it on purpose even before this. Even on the TV replays it looked like he timed a little step onto the field.

Do you even have to prove intent? He's not supposed to be on the field or interfere with the game play, there should be some consequence.

Yep, a fine is not enough. Not when you make the money head coaches do. Suspend him for a game or two, which will send a message to the rest of the league that this will not be tolerated. Anything less than that is the league letting him off easy.

I was pretty shocked it wasn't a penalty (and should have been a TD awarded penalty, at that) but I'll be even more shocked if Tomlin and the Steelers don't get hit with a fine(s) & suspension.

I recall seeing a bit of a smirk from him afterwards, too. Absolutely bush league.

He definitely was forced at least one step away from the sidelines which helped the defender's angle on the play not to mention that the unexpected change of direction likely slowed him down a bit. I would have no problem had the refs decided to award a touchdown on the play.

Do you even have to prove intent? He's not supposed to be on the field or interfere with the game play, there should be some consequence.
Right.

Apparently before every game each team reports to the officials a specific assistant coach or staff member that is personally responsible for keeping the head coach and other assistants/staff off the field.

The head coach personally provides this name before every game.

It's called circumstantial evidence. I don't know if there are any defined burdens of proof with this type of thing in the NFL.

What's really telling is the reaction of everyone else on the sideline. From the game broadcast, you can see literally every single coach and player on the sideline begin to back away from the field of play as it becomes clear the action is headed their way.

On this new KDKA video, at the exact moment Tomlin sidles toward the field, you can see a guy beyond him in gray sweats (who gets obscured by the official) moving back from the field as the play develops.

It's a natural instinct to get away from the field. Tomlin not only ignored that instinct, he moved contrary to it.

Jones would've been tackled anyway. :2cents:
Which is completely irrelevant.
I suppose. But then you could say Tomlin's actions were completely irrelevant since it didn't affect the play.
I agree that it's likely Jones would have been tackled anyway, and agree as far as a Tomlin punishment from the NFL it's irrelevant.

But that Jones might have been tackled anyway doesn't change that Tomlin affected the play. The Steelers should have been penalized in the game without a doubt.

Whether it should have been awarding a touchdown, or marking off yardage, we could debate. I could argue for either.

Let's say for argument's sake that his punishment includes a suspension. How long is warranted? There's 4 games left, and the team is a game back in the wildcard hunt, so postseason is a possibility.

I root for the Steelers but that's bush league and they have to come down harsh on him/the team...especially after just being warned about it.

NBA fined Jason Kidd for intentionally dumping his cup of coke on the floor when he didn't have a timeout to spare. Something like $50K. Given that one game is 1/16 of a season and in basketball it is 1/82nd of a season, Tomlin should be fined something like $250K or so.

Kind of shocking he would do that. Extremely unprofessional and he doesn't seem to think it's a big deal at all, so all the more reason to make it a hefty fine and suspension.

If I were betting I'd put money down that he only gets a fine.

If he does get suspended I will be surprised if it's for more than a single game.

100k and a game is probably the high water mark for his punishment in my estimation.

If I were betting I'd put money down that he only gets a fine.

If he does get suspended I will be surprised if it's for more than a single game.

100k and a game is probably the high water mark for his punishment in my estimation.
sounds reasonable.

Does not seem reasonable to expect the head coach to have his back turned toward the action. Why is he watching the jumbotron and everyone around him is looking past him? I could see a rookie assistant being that unaware of his surroundings but not an experienced head coach with a super bowl pedigree. That's a "C'mon Man" moment if I ever saw one.

There's really no way to rationally apologize for this as a "my bad" moment. This was surely intentional and malevelant. At least fess up to a moment of poor judgment like Jason Kidd already did. Tomlin's not gettting anyone to buy his story. The league needs to drop the hammer.

Let's see, the Jets strength coach loses his job for tripping a gunner on a punt return 5 yards off the field. Here, the head coach steps onto the field in front of a returner who is going in for a TD, and then laughs it off. Suspension worthy IMO.

What I find mystifying is the fact the Ref didn't throw a flag. He was right there. The ref deserves some blame as well and should be punished appropriately for not throwing a flag there.

I doubt there's draft picks involved, but I bet the NFL jumps on this with both feet. Tomlin will be seen as an easy, high-profile way for the league to make sure everyone gets the message.

That's not any kind of proof.

I think Tomlin did it intentionally, but all that video show is him standing slightly on the field, then jumping out of the way. It doesn't show him stepping to his right, as the article tries to suggest.

Again, I think Tomlin did try to influence Jones by being on the field, but that video doesn't "prove" anything of the sort.

There was never any doubt in my mind he did it on purpose. I suppose this video gives the NFL more bullets to put in the chamber and drop the hammer on Tomlin, though. Should be a major fine and suspension IMO.

I agree that the league shouldn't take away draft picks. But I think fining him $100k and sitting him for the rest of the season would work.

Kidding aside- he probably ought to sit for the rest of the season. That was extremely dangerous, if Jacoby DIDNT see him it might have been much worse.

Users who are viewing this thread