What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Offseason (2007) (1 Viewer)

TeamDingo said:
Lastly, Ray Edwards is lining up with the starters at right end.
Wonder how long this will last. He has the talent if he can develop the attitude.
Until Erasmus can return.
Vikings CB Antoine Winfield is mum no more, speaking to reporters after his first practice at today's mandatory mini-camp.Winfield reiterated what his agent Richard Katz told the Pioneer Press Thursday, that his skipping voluntary workouts had nothing to do with his contract."Let me clear up one thing," Winfield said. "I’ve been reading on the Internet -- I don’t know which one of you wrote it -- but something about my contract, in some way, this is a quiet protest by me holding out. Disgruntled about my contract. That’s so far from the truth. I haven’t went upstairs and asked for any money, any extensions, so that’s not it. It’s just me not being here, doing this thing on my own, and I’m just getting ready to play ball."So why wasn't he here?Well, Winfield didn't spell that out. He did, however, have what he termed a positive 15- to 20-minute conversation with head coach Brad Childress Thursday."Both of us said some things, got it off our chests," he said. "But we’re going to keep that between us."In regards to an ESPN report a while back that he wanted to be traded, Winfield said, "I’m not going to comment on that."Winfield also said he will definitely be at training camp and be ready for the season opener."When training camp starts, I’ll definitely be here," he said. "I don’t plan on holding out, or anything like that. I don’t want to be a distraction to what Mr. (Zygi) Wilf is trying to accomplish around here."What about next week's Organized Team Activities?"We’ll see," he said before laughing.Childress didn't have much to say about Winfield, just saying he was glad to have "all hands on deck.""He is a professional, and he is a good football player," Childress said. "And as much as we would love to have everybody here, but people have to do what they have to do. and while I don’t care for that, I can’t require him to be here. I know this. He came back. He’s in good condition. His body weight is right where it needs to be. He’s not a guy, laying on the couch, eating Bon Bons."Childress declined to characterize the conversation. Then, when asked if everything is behind them, he said, "That’s really more with Antoine."I expect him to be here this afternoon and for the rest of the mandatory part of this. And then it’s his call if he wants to come to the voluntary part of it next week."

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/

Winfield Returns

CB Antoine Winfield participated in the Vikings’ mandatory mini-camp practice this morning, ending a two-month absence from Winter Park. Winfield said afterwards he would continue practicing throughout the weekend and would report to training camp on time, but he did not dismiss suggestions that he has been unhappy with the team’s long-term direction.

Winfield and coach Brad Childress met 1-on-1 Thursday. Winfield said the meeting “went well,” that “we were both honest” and “got some things off our chest.” Neither he nor Childress would provide further details of the conversation, but Winfield said his absence was not related to seeking a new contract.

There are people in the Vikings organization who believe Winfield’s strategy would ultimately lead to a request for a new contract, but Winfield said today: “That’s so far from the truth.

“I haven’t went upstairs and asked for any money, any extensions,” he said. ”So that’s not it. It’s just me, not being here. I’m doing this thing on my own. And I’m just getting ready to play ball.”

Winfield, however, was more vague in discussing what his actual reasons for skipping the team’s offseason strength and conditioning program and last week’s first round of Organized Training Activities. He has been living in the Twin Cities, where his children attend school, but is working out on his own and apparently will continue to do so once the “voluntary” portion of the offseason resumes next week.

But it’s clear there has been some consternation on Winfield’s part this offseason. He would not comment on a recent ESPN report that suggested he sought a trade earlier this offseason, and offered an ambivalent response when asked about the direction of the franchise.

“They’re doing some things to help us get better,” Winfield said.

Ultimately, however, Winfield said: “When training camp starts, I’ll definitely be here. I don’t plan on holding out. I don’t want to be a distraction to what [owner Zygi] Wilf is trying to accomplish.”

More to come later today on StarTribune.com and in tomorrow’s printed editions of the Star Tribune.

Now for some practice-related items from the first session of the day, which was held outside at Winter Park.

– Safety Tank Williams, coming off a broken kneecap suffered last year in training camp, sat out but Childress said that was simply to rest the veteran. The plan is to have safety Mike Doss, also coming off a knee injury, rest during the afternoon session and have Williams in uniform. Linebacker Jason Glenn (knee) also will get some time off.

– The first practice focused on down-and-distance situations and also featured some one-on-one work. It wasn’t always pretty. In one three-sequence span during team work, the Vikings saw Troy Williamson and Jim Kleinsasser commit false starts on back-to-back plays and then center Matt Birk and quarterback Tarvaris Jackson had problems with the snap exchange. One new thing this year is when players make mistakes they must run from the line of scrimmage down the field to the goal post.

– An early glimpse of how the Vikings might use running backs Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor at the same time saw Taylor split out wide left at one point.

– Quarterback Brooks Bollinger and receiver Billy McMullen hooked up on a 40-yard pass play down the left sideline during seven-on-seven drills. McMullen, who struggled in last week’s organized team activities, made a nice catch.

– Receiver Jason Carter beat Winfield to catch a 30-yard pass from Tyler Thigpen during seven-on-seven.

– Kenechi Udeze was back with the first team at left defensive end after playing behind Darrion Scott last week during OTAs.

– Among those auditioning for the kick return role are receivers Bobby Wade, Troy Williamson, Aundrae Allison and Chandler Williams and running back Adrian Peterson.

Friday Minicamp Update

Some notes and highlights from the second practice session of minicamp on Friday.

– With the threat of rain, the Vikings decided to move the practice to their indoor facility. Considering the forecast calls for rain today and Sunday morning, the team might end up inside for the remainder of the weekend.

– It’s too early to get excited about anything but receiver Troy Williamson does look like an improved player. He made one of the best catches of the day Friday against veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield. Williamson, falling to the ground after being bumped by Winfield, still managed to catch a 50-yard pass from Tarvaris Jackson. The most impressive thing was Williamson’s concentration on the play.

– Receiver Todd Lowber had another highlight play as he caught a pass from Jackson that went for about 60 yards down the sideline. Lowber beat cornerback Ronyell Whitaker during the seven-on-seven drill. Lowber also beat safety Darren Sharper with a nifty move during a one-on-one drill that left the veteran turned around. Lowber is a track star who has never played football. Once hitting starts in training camp things could change but right now Lowber has impressed with his ability to catch. I repeat, though, he is not being hit after the catch and that could/will make a big difference.

– Antoine Winfield, who did not attend the Vikings’ OTAs and admitted to being sore after the two practices Friday, did have an impressive play when he picked off a pass thrown by rookie Tyler Thigpen. That came during seven-on-seven when Winfield used his veteran savvy to jump a route.

– Among those dropping passes in the afternoon were running back Ciatrick Fason, receiver Aundrae Allison and cornerback Cedric Griffin, who lost what should have been an interception of Brooks Bollinger during seven-on-seven.

– As expected, safety Tank Williams took part in the second practice and safety Mike Doss rested. Both are coming off knee injuries. Linebacker Jason Glenn, also returning from a knee injury, rested during the afternoon as well. Linebacker Chad Greenway took part in both practices but had ice on his surgically repaired knee as he emerged from the locker room.

Friday Minicamp Update

Some notes and highlights from the second practice session of minicamp on Friday.

– With the threat of rain, the Vikings decided to move the practice to their indoor facility. Considering the forecast calls for rain today and Sunday morning, the team might end up inside for the remainder of the weekend.

– It’s too early to get excited about anything but receiver Troy Williamson does look like an improved player. He made one of the best catches of the day Friday against veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield. Williamson, falling to the ground after being bumped by Winfield, still managed to catch a 50-yard pass from Tarvaris Jackson. The most impressive thing was Williamson’s concentration on the play.

– Receiver Todd Lowber had another highlight play as he caught a pass from Jackson that went for about 60 yards down the sideline. Lowber beat cornerback Ronyell Whitaker during the seven-on-seven drill. Lowber also beat safety Darren Sharper with a nifty move during a one-on-one drill that left the veteran turned around. Lowber is a track star who has never played football. Once hitting starts in training camp things could change but right now Lowber has impressed with his ability to catch. I repeat, though, he is not being hit after the catch and that could/will make a big difference.

– Antoine Winfield, who did not attend the Vikings’ OTAs and admitted to being sore after the two practices Friday, did have an impressive play when he picked off a pass thrown by rookie Tyler Thigpen. That came during seven-on-seven when Winfield used his veteran savvy to jump a route.

– Among those dropping passes in the afternoon were running back Ciatrick Fason, receiver Aundrae Allison and cornerback Cedric Griffin, who lost what should have been an interception of Brooks Bollinger during seven-on-seven.

– As expected, safety Tank Williams took part in the second practice and safety Mike Doss rested. Both are coming off knee injuries. Linebacker Jason Glenn, also returning from a knee injury, rested during the afternoon as well. Linebacker Chad Greenway took part in both practices but had ice on his surgically repaired knee as he emerged from the locker room.
Is this really news? If memory serves me right, a moist kleenex beat Whitaker last year.

Dang it makes me one :mellow: to see Winfield acting like such a spoiled brat. I know you want to win dude, but show a little leadership rather than making it sound like you've packed it in before the season even starts.

Link

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Winfield still not happy

After completing his final practice of the mandatory three-day mini-camp, Vikings CB Antoine Winfield doesn't feel any better than he did before.

Asked if he had come to a resolution, he said, "Oh no. I’m still pretty much at the same spot.

"Like I said, it was good to get back out here, and be around the guys, and get back out there and work on my technique, and seeing different looks, and trying to learn the scheme and all. But I’m still at where I am."

Winfield was careful with his words, but he indicated that his issue was with the team's lack of effort to upgrade the offense. That, apparently, will compel him to continue to work out on his own and skip next week's Organized Team Activities.

"Pretty much, I’m going to do this thing on my own. Work out on my own. I don’t feel like I really need to be around here," he said. "I pretty much know the defense now. I know what I need to work on, when I’m away from here. I don’t think anything is going to change."

After that, Winfield had a telling comment, "They’re not going to bring in Peyton Manning, or anything like that."

Asked if personnel is his issue, Winfield said, "I'm not going to go into that.

"I’ll leave that one alone."

But Winfield also made clear that he believes in Tarvaris Jackson, despite his Manning comment.

"I thought he has the skills to play at this level. He has a great arm. He’s definitely picking up on his offense a lot better. Getting the ball out of his hands fast. Going through his reads," Winfield said of Jackson. "I definitely have a lot of confidence in him.

Although there is significant time before players have to report to training camp on July 25, Winfield said his issues will not get resolved.

"I don’t think it’ll be any change, or anything like that," he said.

"The team is not going to change," he later said. "Nothing is going to change.

As for training camp, Winfield said he will be there.
In other words, the offense is really going to suck this year. My over/under in wins is still 3.

Personnel man Spielman chimes in on the rookies...

The Vikings personnel man says the team has greatly increased their team speed and all of the picks have a chance to help the team in the future.

By Sid Hartman, Star Tribune

None of the Vikings draft choices have put on pads yet, but the impression of Rick Spielman, the team's vice president of player personnel, is that the team became much more athletic as a result of the picks.

"Looking at these young guys, and I know we're only in shorts, we look like we have a lot better speed and athletic ability out there," Spielman said Sunday. "There still is a long way to go yet. These guys are young guys who are going to make their mistakes. There is a lot of athletic ability and speed from where we were."

Then he gave his impressions of the draft.

• On first-round pick Adrian Peterson, a running back from Oklahoma:

"He is even more of a threat in the passing game than we anticipated because we never got to see it," Spielman said

"We saw in the workouts that he could catch the ball, but putting him out here and putting him in our scheme, he can do some special things in the passing game. The other thing you notice about him, everybody talks about his upright running style, but this guy has made some moves in space and on people at the second level [in the secondary] that are pretty unique. He's been pretty exciting to watch."

• On second-round pick Sidney Rice, a receiver from South Carolina:

"He has gotten better. He is a tall, lanky receiver that has made some outstanding catches here," Spielman said. "He is becoming more and more comfortable in the offense. [saturday] he made about three diving catches, and you see the uniqueness in his body control, in his range and the way he catches the ball."

• On third-round pick Marcus McCauley, a defensive back from Fresno State:

"Right now we have a heck of a battle," Spielman said. "It's going to be Cedric [Griffin] and Antoine [Winfield] as our two starters," Spielman said. "Then we have a heck of a battle going on for that nickel spot, and McCauley is right in the mix.

• On fourth-round pick Brian Robison, a defensive end from Texas:

"Saturday we had him and Ray Edwards rotating in with the [first unit], and we wanted to see him go up against Bryant McKinnie," Spielman said. "He held his own. The one thing that is unique about him is the high motor and high energy he brings to the defense. He has some exceptional athletic ability. All these guys we've been very impressed with how they are fitting with what we want them to do."

• On fifth-round pick Aundrae Allison, a receiver from East Carolina:

"That is a kid we actually had first-day grades on. He has some potential to be our punt and kickoff returner," Spielman said. "We have a heck of a battle going on at receiver, and that's one area we wanted to address. We could have all three of these receivers making it on our 53 [roster] before it's all said and done."

• On sixth-round pick Rufus Alexander, a linebacker from Oklahoma:

"He is rotating in there. He is a guy who is extremely smart and extremely instinctive," Spielman said. "The one thing we wanted this offseason was not only upgrade our depth at linebacker, but give us some help on special teams, especially the coverage unit. He definitely fills that role."

• On their first seventh-round pick Tyler Thigpen, a quarterback from Coastal Carolina:

"Thigpen is rookie who is going to learn. He is 6-2, almost 230 pounds and runs a 4.6 and fits exactly what we're looking for from an offensive standpoint at the quarterback position," Spielman said.

• On their second seventh-round pick Chandler Williams, a receiver from Florida International:

"He has been the surprise of the camp," Spielman said. "He's maybe as fast of a receiver as we have out there."

Spielman and coach Brad Childress have been impressed with the speed and quickness they've added to the team.

"It's just like recruiting in college," Spielman said. "It can look good on paper, but until you get them out there and get going. ... This is a business of wins and losses, and we're going to have to win some games. We're starting to gather up enough talent in order to do that."

Last edited by a moderator:
• On second-round pick Sidney Rice, a receiver from South Carolina:

"He has gotten better. He is a tall, lanky receiver that has made some outstanding catches here," Spielman said. "He is becoming more and more comfortable in the offense. [saturday] he made about three diving catches, and you see the uniqueness in his body control, in his range and the way he catches the ball."

• On fifth-round pick Aundrae Allison, a receiver from East Carolina:

"That is a kid we actually had first-day grades on. He has some potential to be our punt and kickoff returner," Spielman said. "We have a heck of a battle going on at receiver, and that's one area we wanted to address. We could have all three of these receivers making it on our 53 [roster] before it's all said and done."

• On their second seventh-round pick Chandler Williams, a receiver from Florida International:

"He has been the surprise of the camp," Spielman said. "He's maybe as fast of a receiver as we have out there."
The Vikes WR situation will be fun to watch unfold in training camp, although it might not be fun for Vikes fans to watch once the season starts.I've been talking to Doctolero about the OTAs and the eventual makeup of the WR corps. Six WRs should make the final 53. Williamson, Wade, and Rice are basically locks. Allison should make the team, his return ability really helps, although Doc says he's dropping way too many balls so far. McMullen should make the team, he's boring, but reliable. Nance has been impressing since his late season audition, and seems to be the favorite for the 6th spot. That leaves the above-mentioned Williams and Doc's boy Jason Carter out in the cold. Doc said Carter and Williams are very similar and if one makes it, it would likely be Carter, not Williams. Williams could be an interesting PS guy if the Vikes can sneak him through.

The most surprising storyline emerging in the Minnesota corps is still the chance for Wade to step up and be the #1 target... almost everything I've heard and read points in that direction. Williamson may end up the fantasy #1 because of his ability to make big plays, but Wade looks like the early favorite to be the most reliable and heavily used WR, especially over the middle and on the short and intermediate stuff.

One thing to keep in mind as the background for this is that according to most reports (including Doc's) Tarvaris is not looking like a guy ready to take the starting job and run with it this year - Doc's even speculating that Bollinger may get a look before the season has run its course - he's looking much more comfortable in the offense. The Vikes passing offense was terribly inefficient last year, and it might not improve much this year, maybe even regress because Brad Johnson was at least solid on the dink and dunk stuff.

ETA: If you haven't checked out Doc's Minicamp/OTA Reports, you should, they are the next best thing to watching the practices. He'll be our "go-to" Vikes beat reporter on the Audible - expect to hear more from him as the summer goes on. Just don't say any discouraging words to him about Jason Carter :thumbdown:

Sigmund Bloom said:
The Vikes WR situation will be fun to watch unfold in training camp, although it might not be fun for Vikes fans to watch once the season starts.
Ugh.
Sigmund Bloom said:
One thing to keep in mind as the background for this is that according to most reports (including Doc's) Tarvaris is not looking like a guy ready to take the starting job and run with it this year - Doc's even speculating that Bollinger may get a look before the season has run its course - he's looking much more comfortable in the offense. The Vikes passing offense was terribly inefficient last year, and it might not improve much this year, maybe even regress because Brad Johnson was at least solid on the dink and dunk stuff.
Bet the under. :thumbup:Buckle up. This is going to be B-R-U-T-A-L.

Sigmund Bloom said:
Bet the under. :confused:Buckle up. This is going to be B-R-U-T-A-L.
This is a storyline that has been brewing for over a year now. I still maintain that the Vikes horribly reached for Jackson. If they just felt they couldn't live without him, and got good intel that another team was going to horribly reach for Jackson (as they claimed, without my "horrible reach" editorializing), then I guess I can see the rationale. His package of raw tools is rare, and worthy of a first day pick in a vacuum, but he was basically a block of marble when they drafted him. MAYBE Chili was emboldened by the success he had with McNabb? What we saw in San Antonio at the Shrine Game last year was a guy who made you drool on one play with natural arm strength and athleticism, and then shake your head when he threw the ball into the turf five yards in front of the WR, or five yards over the WRs head. No matter how good those tools looked, the obvious project status and risk and investment that goes along with that kind of QB said "5th round pick" to most of us, but not to the Vikes.Lucky for them they got the next big time stud RB, with a left side of the line that could pave an interstate highway, which could cover up a lot of shortcomings in the offense.

:thumbup:

Gotta love Mayock doing the Vikings' preseason games!!! (Edited to add: Ann Carroll on the sideline is not bad news, either!! :excited: )

Wolfe and Mayock to team for preseason games

Ari Wolfe (bio) and Mike Mayock (bio) will work with FSN North sideline reporter Ann Carroll for games Aug. 10 against St. Louis, Aug. 25 against Seattle and Aug. 30 against Dallas. The Vikings’ Aug. 17 game against the Jets will be a broadcast nationally on FOX.

Wolfe has connections to coach Brad Childress having handled the preseason television schedule for the Philadelphia Eagles in 2005. Mayock is also in tune with the direction Childress and ownership have charted for the organization in 2007 and beyond.

“I'm truly looking forward to the opportunity of working with the Vikings organization,” Wolfe told Mike Wobschall of Vikings.com. “The Wilf family runs a top-notch organization and I was thrilled to be asked to take part in producing an A+ product during the preseason.”

“I've really liked the Vikings last couple of drafts and I think they have a talented bunch of young players,” Mayock explained when asked what was appealing to him about calling Vikings games this preseason. “I'm excited about their progression and I have a lot of respect for coach Childress. I think he's doing things the right way in Minnesota.”

The Vikings hand-picked the new team to represent them on the air during the preseason.

“Mike has done an excellent job covering college football and the NFL draft during his career, especially with the NFL Network,” Vikings Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Steve LaCroix said. “Mike's expertise in that area combined with the young, talented crop of players on the Vikings roster gives him a great perspective on our team and we look forward to the insight he can provide our fans during the preseason broadcasts.”

“Ari's versatility and vast experience as a broadcaster makes him a great complement to Mike,” LaCroix added. “I look forward to Ari's call and I anticipate the fans will enjoy what he can bring to the broadcast.”

In 2006, Wolfe completed his fourth season as an NFL sideline reporter for FOX. Since 2002, Wolfe had been doing play-by-play of NFL Europe broadcasts on FOX Sports and the NFL Network. He also serves as a play-by-play announcer for national broadcasts of NCAA football games on the Sports USA Radio Network.

A native of Madison, Wisconsin, now living in Philadelphia, Wolfe graduated from Emory University in 1994 and received his M.A. in Broadcast Journalism from Southern California in 1997.

Mayock, a former defensive back for the New York Giants, has established himself as a respected college and NFL announcer and analyst through his work for ABC Sports, CBS Sports, ESPN and FOX Sports Net.

Mayock, 45, was selected in the 10th round of the 1981 NFL draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers, but suited up for the Giants from 1982-84. He is a member of the Boston College Hall of Fame, where he starred in football and received a Communications degree.
LINK

Bad news for those pining for Kelly Holcomb... and maybe AD and EJames

We’re proud to say we can actually (for once) deliver on our core duty: Providing readers with new information about the Vikings.

During an interview this morning at Winter Park, coach Brad Childress essentially shot down rumors that the Vikings are trying to sign a veteran quarterback but did not rule out the possibility they could acquire one sometime this summer.

What the Vikings are doing, Childress said, is evaluating personnel throughout the league - at quarterback as well as other positions - in the event that training camp performances necessitate a move. But barring a complete turnaround, the Vikings will enter training camp next week with Tarvaris Jackson and Brooks Bollinger as their top two quarterbacks, as they have planned all along.

“I doubt whether that would change before camp,” Childress said. “I don’t think [other teams] are making a lot of changes right now. Everybody is standing pat. You see as you go. But as you know, things happen.”

Fueling most of the fire have been recent comments by Philadelphia backup Kelly Holcomb, who faces an uphill battle making the Eagles’ final roster. Holcomb told FoxSports.com that he was intrigued by the idea of playing for the Vikings. Holcomb is the type of player that likely would become available as the regular season approaches: A veteran who could get released on final cutdown day but could provide a team with a similar offense short-term competence if needed.

Meanwhile, Childress said the Vikings will have “one more pow-wow,” probably next week, to make a final determination about rookie RB Adrian Peterson’s availaibility for the start of training camp. Peterson, as has been well-documented, is recovering from a broken collarbone that he reinjured Jan. 1. The team decided in May to bypass surgery, believing Peterson would heal on his own in time for camp.

Childress said today that Peterson ”hasn’t had any backsteps,” but it will be necessary to perform one more evaluation before he is officially cleared for contact. (He’ll also need to agree to and sign a contract, an issue that will heat up next week.)

“We’ll just get one more baseline [test] of where he is,” Childress said.

The only other player with known health issues is defensive end Erasmus James, who is recovering from a torn ACL. James is a candidate for the Physically Unable to Perform list, a decision that will be made when James gets his pre-camp physical next week.

Childress has had a busy couple of days, speaking early Monday morning to the Dunkers Club and today hosting the Vikings’ annual Youth Football Day at Winter Park. Childress, C Matt Birk and Bollinger all addressed about 150 boys and girls, aged 8-14.

AND

http://vikingsnow.blogspot.com/

Childress downplays Holcomb rumors

With training camp fast approaching, Vikings coach Brad Childress bolstered his support of quarterbacks Tarvaris Jackson and Brooks Bollinger and tempered speculation that he is actively searching for another veteran.

Last week, Philadelphia veteran backup quarterback Kelly Holcomb told Fox that the prospect of joining the Vikings "makes sense," citing the similarity of the offenses and Childress' tenure with the Eagles.

"We keep that whole thing wide open, in terms of who we think is going to be waived at the defensive back position, or the offensive line. There's always people of interest," Childress said. "But I wouldn't single out Kelly Holcomb as someone who has been singled out. Obviously, the similarities that he mentioned are apparent.

"He's a good player, and a good player for a long time," Childress said. "But I haven't studied him that much lately."

Childress said he is pleased with the amount of work Bollinger and Jackson invested at Winter Park this offseason, and he reiterated that they are, in fact, competing.

"When you evaluate quarterbacks, you have to make sure you see them with the same talent," Childress said. "I don't think it's fair that you evaluate a third quarterback behind a third- or fourth-string line, and throwing to third-string receivers.

"But there are a limited number of reps. But you will see both of those (with the first team)."

As for Adrian Peterson, Childress indicated the rookie is set to go -- if he signs his contract on time.

"I don't think there's much else he has to do to satisfy us that he's ready," Childress said.

Asked if it would hurt Peterson to show up late to training camp, Childress said, "I don't think you can underestimate the value of practice reps and reps in a system that is new to you.

"So my encouragement to everyone is to get in here on time, and get the turns you need. I think you have a better chance of getting on the field faster if you understand what's going on with the system. You're not thinking about it. You're letting your God-given athletic abilities come into play."

Going to Valleyfair next weekend and am hoping to sneak down to Mankato Saturday to take in one or both of the practice sessions. Any tips from veterans on the best way to take in the practice to make the most of the experience for me (uh, I mean my 8 year old son).

Going to Valleyfair next weekend and am hoping to sneak down to Mankato Saturday to take in one or both of the practice sessions. Any tips from veterans on the best way to take in the practice to make the most of the experience for me (uh, I mean my 8 year old son).
Get there early and you can watch the players going to practice, otherwise make sure you have binoculars, because if they are on the practice fields and not in the stadium, it can be hard to get a good view.

Practice I in the books

Vikings coach Brad Childress had these words of advice for unsigned draft picks Adrian Peterson and Sidney Rice after the team’s opening training camp practice on Friday. “My best advice to them is to get their tails to camp,” Childress said.

As for camp, it began with a 2-plus hour practice that was conducted in full pads and got physical at times. This included dust-ups between Mewelde Moore and Jason Glenn and Vinny Ciurciu and Chester Taylor. Both came in drills where the running backs had to block during a one-on-one pass-rush drill.

Except for Peterson and Rice, everyone else who was supposed to be on the practice field was there. Some highlights/lowlights:

– Believe it or not, receiver Troy Williamson actually dropped the first pass thrown to him. Went right off his hands. Williamson, however, looked good for the most part as quarterback Tarvaris Jackson frequently found him during team drills.

– Jackson took all the reps with the first-team offense and Brooks Bollinger was the main man with the second team. Brad Childress made it clear Bollinger also will get some time with the first team and that could come during the afternoon session.

– Bobby Wade, Williamson and Martin Nance all took turns during punt return drills late in the practice.

– Receiver Todd Lowber, going through the first real football practice of his life, dropped a deep pass down the sideline during one-on-one drills as he went against cornerback Chad Johnson. That was a tough chance for Lowber. He later dropped a very catchable ball on a short route.

– With Sidney Rice not here yet, fifth-round receiver Aundrae Allison got some snaps with the first team. Artis Hicks, as promised, replaced the injured Bryant McKinnie (hamstring) at left tackle and Anthony Herrera was at right guard.

– Chad Greenway got his first work as the first-team weak side linebacker. E.J. Henderson, who didn’t return to camp until late last night because he was taking care of a family matter, was in his new spot of middle linebacker.

– The first-round picks just keep signing. Miami reportedly has agreed to a deal with receiver Ted Ginn Jr., taken No. 9 overall.

As promised, here are some quotes from Tarvaris Jackson:

(How did it feel to get out there?) “It just felt good. First time in shoulder pads since last year so that felt a little funny. But it felt good to get out there with those guys. It was a pretty good first practice.”

(Could you feel your offseason work paying off?) “It was good. A lot of the stuff that we did today we’ve been doing for a long time. We went through those things a whole bunch during the minicamps and the OTAs. It just felt kind of second nature out there today.”

(Do you feel it’s necessary for you take on a leadership role with this team?) “Being a quarterback, period, first string or last string, you have to be one of the guys who has to be a leader and lead by example. And some times you have to be vocal. I always try and lead by example but this year I’m going to have to be a little more vocal being that I have a chance to be the starter.”

(Are you comfortable with that?) “Yeah, I’m comfortable. I’ve been doing it my whole life so it pretty much comes natural.”

(Is it a little odd to have all eyes on you this time around?) “It’s a different experience because first of all I’m going to get more reps and last year I didn’t get as many reps. I have a year under my belt. I’ve been through it already. It’s just more comfortable period.”

The PA and Dubay show was in Mankato this morning. A few things that were said on the air.

First Team WR were Williamson and Wade.

The Williams wall worked with the second team. :loco: :confused:

Of the four QBs, Bollinger looked the best. Jackson seemed inaccurate.

I am sure that snippits of the show can be downloaded at KFAN.com

Rice signs

WR Sidney Rice ended his brief holdout tonight, agreeing to terms on a four-year contract, according to someone with direct knowledge of the situation. Rice had spent the past four days in a Twin Cities hotel but checked out this evening and is expected to be in Mankato by tomorrow.

Rice worked as the team’s No. 3 receiver for most of spring practice. In both of today’s practices, he was replaced by fellow rookie Aundrae Allison in that role.

Rice’s signing leaves the Vikings with only one unsigned rookie, first-round RB Adrian Peterson. That deal could take some time.

This might be a really lame question but...

Did they change the facemasks to grey for this season? ESPN's picture of Tarvaris shows him wearing a helmet with a grey facemask.

I hope so. I like that look. :confused:

This might be a really lame question but...Did they change the facemasks to grey for this season? ESPN's picture of Tarvaris shows him wearing a helmet with a grey facemask.I hope so. I like that look. :excited:
No, the word is that they are going to use Throwbacks for the Green Bay game and they are "breaking in the helmets"

The most entertaining moment of my visit to opening day of Viking training camp (Friday):

The entire team was introduced player by player and then the players threw autographed footballs into the crowd...Darren Sharper introduced the defense. He got to Dwight Smith and here was his introduction: "At a safety position, Mr. Stairwell himself, Dwight Smith." :lmao: Classic!!

Random thoughts: I thought Tarvaris looked far and away the best at the quarterback position. Chandler Williams probably won't make the team...Allison looked good...Williamson looked good...I can throw the ball better than Drew Henson...Shiancoe was a little hobbled so couldn't get a true sense of him...Peterson and Rice weren't there on day one so didn't get to see them. :thumbup: Good time...highlight for me was seeing Joey Browner (one of my all-time favorites).

Heading to Mankato for TC on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to it since I've never been down there.

Can't wait to see my guy, Adrian Peterson. Hope he's cleared for contact.

Dang I want Tarvaris to be decent this year! For his sake and AP's.

Would love to hear from anyone who has or is heading to camp- How does Marcus McCauley look? Everything that I read sounds like he has been lights out. Not sure if that is Great news about him or verification of how bad the QB situation is likely to be this year.

Would love to hear from anyone who has or is heading to camp- How does Marcus McCauley look? Everything that I read sounds like he has been lights out. Not sure if that is Great news about him or verification of how bad the QB situation is likely to be this year.
I'm going to camp tomorrow. I'll see if I can keep an eye out. Although I wouldn't recognize McCauley if he came up and kicked me in the nuts.

I'm going to camp tomorrow. I'll see if I can keep an eye out. Although I wouldn't recognize McCauley if he came up and kicked me in the nuts.
Is there any way we can set this up? Doesn't Reg have connections? There has to be a way for Vikings security to locate you and have McCauley come running up... :goodposting:

Is there any way we can set this up? Doesn't Reg have connections? There has to be a way for Vikings security to locate you and have McCauley come running up... :lmao:
:hophead: My buddy will wonder why I'm wearing a cup. I'll just have to tell him "Wait and see!"Marcus: :CLANG!:Andy: Oh. You must be Marcus McCauley. Good to meet you. :goodposting:

Heard on KFAN today, that McCauley is tearing up the nickel position and is looking outstanding. Jumped a route today and took a TJax pass back the other way to the house for an INT TD.

Made a lowball offer to the Taylor owner in my dynasty league (where I have the #1 overall). Hopefully they saw today's injury and will want to unload thinking I didn't see it.

Heard on KFAN today, that McCauley is tearing up the nickel position and is looking outstanding. Jumped a route today and took a TJax pass back the other way to the house for an INT TD.
Nice to hear. McCauley was my 2nd ranked CB going into the draft. The kid has fantastic cover skills. :excited: Link

Link

Made a lowball offer to the Taylor owner in my dynasty league (where I have the #1 overall). Hopefully they saw today's injury and will want to unload thinking I didn't see it.
What was your offer out of curiousity? I'm thinking of doing the same, as he's one nice backup to have in case something goes wrong with Peterson or if they bring him along slow. I would really hate to overpay.

Anyone hear if Taylor practiced today?
Taylor is day-to-day; other notesRunning back Chester Taylor continued to wear a wrap on his bruised forearm Wednesday and did not participate in the Vikings’ first practice of the day. Taylor said he is day-to-day and probably won’t take part in this weekend’s home-and-home practices against Kansas City. This will mean more first team reps for rookie Adrian Peterson and honestly that might not be a bad thing considering Peterson has some catching up to do.

Also sitting out was linebacker Ben Leber, who aggravated the strained calf muscle that slowed him earlier in camp. Receiver Aundrae Allison left the field with a minor leg injury.

Left tackle Bryant McKinnie went through his first practice of camp and looked rusty at times. During one drill, cornerback Mike Hawkins picked off a Brooks Bollinger pass after right end Ray Edwards bull rushed McKinnie and sent the big tackle into Bollinger.

Some other notes from a morning practice that wrapped up about 15 minutes early:

– Bollinger made a few nice deep passes during one-on-one drills between receivers and cornerbacks. On one play, Martin Nance beat Chad Johnson to catch about a 40-yard pass. Justin Surrency then got past Jerron Wishom to catch a 45-yard pass down the sideline. Reality hit soon thereafter when Todd Lowber and Sidney Rice dropped footballs.

– Bollinger appeared to connect with Troy Williamson in the corner of the end zone on a 15-yard pass during the 7-on-7 period but the receiver was unable to hang onto the ball. That was in part due to coverage by safety Darren Sharper but it was a pass Williamson should have caught.

– Bollinger attempted to complete a pass to tight end Jim Kleinsasser on the goal line but safety Dwight Smith made a nice play to tip the ball and linebacker Chad Greenway intercepted it. Greenway tossed it to Smith, who ran a few yards before the play was called dead. Greenway has been looking good in this camp.

– Tarvaris Jackson and Martin Nance connected on a 15-yard touchdown pass that was one of Jackson’s best thrown balls of the practice. Jackson was working with the second team at the time in 7-on-7 but later got reps with the first unit; Bollinger also worked with the first and second team.

– Defensive end Jayme Mitchell made what could have qualified as the play of the day. He appeared to beat right tackle Marcus Johnson, forced a Jackson fumble and then picked up the ball. In a game, there would have been a whole lot of daylight in front of Mr. Mitchell.

– Adrian Peterson took another big hit — an indication his collarbone is in good shape. This one came courtesy of safety Tank Williams after Peterson caught a pass from Bollinger.

– One observation from this practice: This was the first day that one quarterback was clearly better and that guy was Bollinger. Both Jackson and Bollinger had rough days on Tuesday but this morning Bollinger appeared to be much more in control.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1...1337460-t3.html

TeamDingo said:
– One observation from this practice: This was the first day that one quarterback was clearly better and that guy was Bollinger. Both Jackson and Bollinger had rough days on Tuesday but this morning Bollinger appeared to be much more in control.
He must have been at a different practice than I was at because I didn't see that at all.Other random observations (mostly offense. The defense was on another practice field).- Troy Williamson still can't catch. He clanged one off the facemask early in the day and the above mentioned drop in the end zone he should have had. He did, however, look better in the afternoon.- The offensive line was getting schooled by the d-line. Which is to be expected early in camp.- I may have been wrong about Shiancoe. He's HUGE, but moves well and had more than one nice catch today.- Sidney Rice, if he doesn't make an impact this year, is going to be a stud some day. He certainly looks the part.- They worked a TON on throwing to the backs out of the backfield. I think both Taylor and Peterson are going to have a large # of catches this year.- This team will live and die with Tarvaris this year. He has a nice live arm and while inexperienced, I can not see any way that they roll with Bollenger unless they're planning on drafting a QB next year.- Adrian Peterson is CLEARLY the most electric player on the field. My man-crush on him is SO big, I think I want to have his babies.

TeamDingo said:
He must have been at a different practice than I was at because I didn't see that at all.Other random observations (mostly offense. The defense was on another practice field).- Troy Williamson still can't catch. He clanged one off the facemask early in the day and the above mentioned drop in the end zone he should have had. He did, however, look better in the afternoon.- The offensive line was getting schooled by the d-line. Which is to be expected early in camp.- I may have been wrong about Shiancoe. He's HUGE, but moves well and had more than one nice catch today.- Sidney Rice, if he doesn't make an impact this year, is going to be a stud some day. He certainly looks the part.- They worked a TON on throwing to the backs out of the backfield. I think both Taylor and Peterson are going to have a large # of catches this year.- This team will live and die with Tarvaris this year. He has a nice live arm and while inexperienced, I can not see any way that they roll with Bollenger unless they're planning on drafting a QB next year.- Adrian Peterson is CLEARLY the most electric player on the field. My man-crush on him is SO big, I think I want to have his babies.
Thanks for the update...I broke down at the MOA and bought my 8 year old a Peterson jersey (I'm so tight, hard for me to justify that much money on a shirt that he will wear about a year - oh well - I'm an OU fan and am just as excited as he is).How did your introduction to Mr. McCauley go? :wub:

Two more things - I don't understand why Jason Carter doesn't get more looks. He looks just as good as all the other guys out there, sometimes better. :pickle:My favorite player of the morning session yesterday was Martin Nance. He's really tall and they seemed to me (FWIW) that they were running a couple drills specifically intended to target him in the red zone. He could be a super sleeper or he could get cut. Here's his draft profile from a couple years ago:

When people started to take notice of Ben Roethlisberger his junior year, people had no choice but to notice Big Ben’s top target, sophomore Martin Nance. He absolutely exploded onto the college football map that year with 90 catches for 1,498 yards and 11 touchdowns. As a junior, he was off to another fast start. In the first four games of the 2004 season, Nance had 25 catches for 337 yards, and a touchdown. On the first play of the 5th game that season however, Nance injured his knee and missed the rest of the season. He came back this season looking to re-establish himself. Nance did just that, finishing with 81 receptions, 1,107 yards, for 14 touchdowns. Martin Nance is a flat out playmaker. At 6’5, with great athleticism, and jumping ability, he is nearly unstoppable in one on one situations. He’s not just big though, he has good straight-line speed. He can get deep, and make plays vertically. Some people questioned if his success in 2003 was due to Roethlisberger, but he showed early on in 2004, and has shown again this year that he is a talent. Even though he is showing he is back from the knee injury in 2004, it is something teams will look into. Even though the MAC has gained some respect nationally, it still is not the most talented conference out there. With just over two years of experience on the field, he has not faced the most talented corners in college. Nance fits the mold of the big, tall, athletic receiver teams have become enamored with lately. He has all the talent to develop in the NFL. Nance struggled at the combine, running a 4.58 40 and struggling to catch the ball in drills, and that hurt his stock. He should still hear his name called on the first day of the draft

Peterson scare

Take a deep breath, Viking fans. Adrian Peterson left the field at 10 a.m. and entered a trailer with head athletic trainer Eric Sugarman. But at 10:06, he rejoined his teammates on the sideline, although he looks to have some sort of leg injury. ... Oh, he just went back into the trailer. But I still don't think it's serious.

Peterson limps off field

Rookie running back Adrian Peterson limped off the field because of a left ankle injury this morning during the Vikings’ first practice. He was taken to a medical trailer, but later returned and was moving around, favoring the ankle.

Peterson appeared to be injured after an early drill, and left after a passing drill when he was tackled by Cedric Griffin.

Cornerback Ronyell Whitaker also left the field because of a left leg injury that appeared more serious. We’ll get you an update after practice.

Peterson scare

Take a deep breath, Viking fans. Adrian Peterson left the field at 10 a.m. and entered a trailer with head athletic trainer Eric Sugarman. But at 10:06, he rejoined his teammates on the sideline, although he looks to have some sort of leg injury. ... Oh, he just went back into the trailer. But I still don't think it's serious.

Peterson limps off field

Rookie running back Adrian Peterson limped off the field because of a left ankle injury this morning during the Vikings’ first practice. He was taken to a medical trailer, but later returned and was moving around, favoring the ankle.

Peterson appeared to be injured after an early drill, and left after a passing drill when he was tackled by Cedric Griffin.

Cornerback Ronyell Whitaker also left the field because of a left leg injury that appeared more serious. We’ll get you an update after practice.

Somebody hold me. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread