What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Offseason (2007) (1 Viewer)

That theory makes more sense to me if it were another sport or even if he were a QB but I just don't see how you can create favorable situations for or protect a 7th overall RB. He can either carry the load or he can't. If they have to go to such extremes to make him look good then he'll be a bust. And I think the Quinn talk is dead. It's clear that the NFL just doesn't think much of his skills that early so passing on him is the fans hang up, not the teams. Any fan out there that still thinks Quinn was a worthy picked at #7 isn't paying attention.
the vikes had quinn ranked around #20 on their board.
That's interesting. Where did you read/hear that?
edited. the same reason i get free tickets to draft party/training camp/etc... :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
reg said:
TommyKramer said:
That theory makes more sense to me if it were another sport or even if he were a QB but I just don't see how you can create favorable situations for or protect a 7th overall RB. He can either carry the load or he can't. If they have to go to such extremes to make him look good then he'll be a bust. And I think the Quinn talk is dead. It's clear that the NFL just doesn't think much of his skills that early so passing on him is the fans hang up, not the teams. Any fan out there that still thinks Quinn was a worthy picked at #7 isn't paying attention.
edited. the same reason i get free tickets to draft party/training camp/etc... :banned:
:thumbup: Can I be your friend? New best friend?

reg said:
TommyKramer said:
edited. the same reason i get free tickets to draft party/training camp/etc... :excited:
:confused: Can I be your friend? New best friend?
GET IN LINE!!! :lmao: Reg you hear any more names that we picked up?

East Carolina receiver Aundrae Allison could develop into an unbelievable playmaker, but he has major character issues but worth a fifth-round pick.
I'm not sure what major character issues they are referring to. The only negative thing I can think of character wise against Aundrae is he can be lazy when the ball isn't being thrown his way. In other words he has taken plays off on more than one occasion, and I'm sure the Vikings won't find that work ethic acceptable. Aundrae only played for ECU for two years, but he played very well during those two years, and he will only get better. He did have some injuries during those two years, but some of that came from him battling for the catch through traffic. Some of the best things about him is he has very good hands, he is very quick coming off the line, he isn't afraid to go over the middle, he has great agility and can stretch for balls that are wildly thrown, and he is very good at gaining yards after the catch. He is also good at seperating himself from defenders. I was surprised he fell to the 5th round. I hope he works out. (I'm an ECU alumna).

East Carolina receiver Aundrae Allison could develop into an unbelievable playmaker, but he has major character issues but worth a fifth-round pick.
I'm not sure what major character issues they are referring to. The only negative thing I can think of character wise against Aundrae is he can be lazy when the ball isn't being thrown his way. In other words he has taken plays off on more than one occasion, and I'm sure the Vikings won't find that work ethic acceptable. Aundrae only played for ECU for two years, but he played very well during those two years, and he will only get better. He did have some injuries during those two years, but some of that came from him battling for the catch through traffic. Some of the best things about him is he has very good hands, he is very quick coming off the line, he isn't afraid to go over the middle, he has great agility and can stretch for balls that are wildly thrown, and he is very good at gaining yards after the catch. He is also good at seperating himself from defenders. I was surprised he fell to the 5th round. I hope he works out. (I'm an ECU alumna).
the only thing i read about him is he doesn't work real hard and takes longer to pick up plays and such.

GREAT Article on the Vikes draft:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10161196

The Minnesota Vikings entered the first round of last weekend's draft uncertain what they'd find at the seventh pick. Clubs ahead of them, they figured, would determine the player the Vikings chose -- and they did.

Adrian Peterson, come on down.

Adrian Peterson: No. 3 on Minnesota's draft

board and too talented to pass. (Getty Images)

The selection of Peterson launched a run of direct hits for the Vikings, who need help to climb out of a 6-10 funk and may have found it through the draft. The question is: How did they do it? The way to get the answer is to ask Rick Spielman, the team's vice president of player personnel.

Round 1

This is what I like about what Minnesota did here: It took the best player out there, and it did it by sticking to its draft board.

The Vikings could have had quarterback Brady Quinn. Or defensive end Jamaal Anderson. Or any receiver not named Calvin Johnson. But those guys weren't at the top of the board. Peterson was.

"We talked about Brady Quinn and Adrian Peterson," said Spielman, "and once we got through our meetings I put us in six different mock drafts, with all six of those guys falling to us. But I didn't expect both Adrian Peterson and Brady Quinn to be there when we picked.

"Adrian Peterson was the third highest-rated player on our board, and he was just too good to pass up. You cannot have enough running backs. Plus, I know how important it is for us to run the ball, the type of offense we have and what coach (Brad) Childress wants."

Translation: The Vikings believe they need Peterson more than they need Quinn -- which means Tarvaris Jackson can exhale. The only obstacle now between the second-year quarterback and a starting job is Brooks Bollinger.

The question with Peterson, of course, is a collarbone he broke during the season and re-injured in the Fiesta Bowl. There was speculation that Peterson might require another surgery, but Peterson last week dismissed the idea.

"We had him brought in," said Spielman, "and our doctors felt fine with the collarbone. I don't know what we'll do to make sure that is ready, but I do know he's scheduled to participate in the weekend minicamp and be ready by time we get into training camp.

"I don't have any doubt he will come in here, have success and have a great career."

Round 2

OK, so they had a back to complement Chester Taylor. Where was their next wide receiver?

Patience, people. The Vikings targeted South Carolina's Sidney Rice in the second round and found him with the 44th choice. Taking Rice meant not taking USC's Dwayne Jarrett, the Pac-10 record holder for career touchdown catches, and Spielman explained why.

"We felt very strongly about Sidney Rice," he said. "He's a big receiver, and he had a 38½-inch vertical jump. When you have a guy with that size and that vertical jump it means he has unique skills to go up and get the ball, especially in the red zone.

The Vikings had a strong conviction about

receiver Sidney Rice. (Getty Images)

"He ran fast at the combine -- in fact, he probably ran faster than we expected him to -- and he has some things to work out in his game. But he's only 20 years old. We say the definition of a receiver is to receive. We feel very strongly he has unique ability to go up and get the ball in the air."

To acquire Rice, the Vikings moved backward three positions, from the ninth spot in the second round to the 12th. The move was as smart as it was safe. The Vikings acquired an extra draft pick to choose the player they would've taken anyway.

That wasn't luck. They were confident Rice would be there because Indianapolis and Detroit -- teams with the next two choices -- drafted wide receivers in the first round.

"I took us through 12 different scenarios," said Spielman. "Everything from the offensive linemen (Arron) Sears and (Justin) Blalock to the wide receivers."

But Sears and Blalock were gone. Rice, Jarrett and Steve Smith were not. Minnesota chose Rice one spot ahead of Jarrett.

"I think it's a little bit of a speed thing," said Spielman. "I think both (he and Jarrett) will excel in the league, but we just felt Rice will fit us better in what we do from a schematic standpoint."

Round 3

Finding Fresno State cornerback Marcus McCauley in the third round was fortunate -- if, that is, you believe he's the player he was his junior year and not his senior season. The Vikings do. Plus, they had no concerns about a concussion that sidelined McCauley early last season.

"We're very thorough on the medical and character background checks," Spielman said. "We had 90 guys on our whole board -- including our last free agent -- that we turned over, that we would not touch for one of those two reasons.

"We felt very strongly (about McCauley) because he's a big, physical corner. He didn't play as well as he did his junior year, but we have a scout on our staff (Mike Sholiton) who was his recruiting coordinator at Fresno State. He had very strong feelings for the kid, not only as a player but as a person.

"I know Fresno had a down year, and some things happened. But you know what you see in the talent part. You see he performed well in the Senior Bowl when you watch the one-on-one practices and the game, and then you see he performed well at the combine. As the process went along we felt very comfortable, and we felt we had very good value at this pick in the third round."

McCauley could step in to replace salary-cap casualty Fred Smoot, but I wouldn't expect it. Too much competition, and that's good for the Vikings.

"We feel very strong about (Antoine) Winfield and (Cedric) Griffin, who was taken last year in the second round," Spielman said. "But you're in nickel so much in this day and age in the NFL you have to have three players of starter caliber at the corners."

Now they do.

Round 4

It's hard to talk about Texas defensive end Brian Robison without talking about his ability to block kicks. He snuffed six of them. But that's not why Minnesota traded up to acquire him.

"You don't draft a field-goal blocker in the fourth round," said Spielman.

Maybe not. But now they have one.

"When we're evaluating these players on the field," said Spielman, "we put grades on them as special teamers -- especially when you're getting into the second day.

"With Robison, we felt we had to go up and jump a couple teams. He was the best defensive end and the best athlete on the board, and you can usually get a steal in the beginning of the fourth round. I know that position goes very quickly on the second day, especially on top, so we tried to be as aggressive as we could."

Robison should step in and contribute immediately, both in the defensive end rotation and on special teams.

"We feel very strongly about the excellent job our defensive line coach (Karl Dunbar) has done bringing along players," said Spielman. "(Robison) has outstanding physical ability. He had a vertical jump of over 40 inches and ran fast. And he has a lot of unique pass-rush skills off the edge if you can refine some of the technical part of it."

Round 5

When your top wide receivers are Troy Williamson and Billy McMullen you should never quit looking for wide receivers -- and Minnesota didn't. In East Carolina's Aundrae Allison the Vikings have a deep threat they evaluated as a first-day pick.

"When you're sitting there in the fifth round and you have a guy on your board sticking out that high, he's too good to pass up," said Spielman. "Even though we took Rice, there was no way we were going to pass on a kid like this."

Allison is another guy whose stock suffered in 2006, and blame it on an ankle injury. Nevertheless, he averaged nearly seven catches a game in his career and scored once every two starts. Plus, he returned punts.

"You see the uniqueness in the ability to go get the ball and the athletic part of the game he brings to the table," said Spielman. "And he has return skills. Those are all areas of need for us.

"It was fortunate that we were able to get him that late in the draft. He was so far ahead of everybody, it was an easy choice."

Round 6

Oklahoma linebacker Rufus Alexander led the Sooners the past two years in tackles, was a two-time All-Big 12 choice and was named the conference's Defensive Player of the Year. So what in the name of Tom Brady was he doing there in the sixth round?

"I don't know," said Spielman. "To us -- and we may be the only ones -- it was an obvious choice because he stuck out like a sore thumb. His value was too good to pass up at this point.

"We have a philosophy I believe in, and that's to stay true to your board. Allison was a little ahead of him (in the fifth round), but they were in the same category. We just had one stacked a little ahead of the other."

Now they have both.

"You can never have enough good players," said Spielman. "The more good players you can bring into a position the more competition it creates and the better a team becomes."

Round 7

OK, I admit it: I never heard of quarterback Tyler Thigpen or wide receiver Chandler Williams until the Vikings chose them.

"Our scouts did a good job going to Coastal Carolina and writing up Thigpen," said Spielman. "We sent Kevin Rogers, our quarterbacks coach, to Coastal Carolina, and he came back thoroughly impressed with (Thigpen) after spending a day with him and having him do all the throws we needed him to do.

"Then we brought him up here on one of the pre-draft visits and spent a day with him, going through board work and getting to know him better. When you get to the seventh round you stay true to your board, and we had him up there a little bit just because of his potential and how he fits what we're looking for from a quarterback."

And Williams?

"He was someone with speed and return skills," said Spielman, "and he had a great workout in the spring. On our board he was the next best guy to take."

I guess that's what I like about how Minnesota attacked this draft. The Vikings never strayed from that board, always taking the highest player. Too bad Miami didn't play follow the leader. But this is not about Miami; it's about a Vikings team that improved itself by finding talent in unexpected places.

"Some years they fall and some years they don't," Spielman said, "and you can't control that. The biggest thing you have to do is stay true to your board and don't worry so much about need as about getting the best players available.

"That's what we're trying to do up here. We keep trying to plug in by increments. If there's a player out there -- regardless of position -- that we think can help our ballclub, we're going to take him."

The Southern Illinoisan said the Vikings also signed tight end Braden Jones, who led the Salukis with 32 catches for 521 yards and seven touchdowns.
Out of curiosity, I decided to find out more about Braden Jones. He is interesting character to say the least and not the type of player that the Vikings usually take a chance on. Suffice it to say that Jones plus liquor equals trouble. Since then, Jones has straightened out his act - No chance he'll botch his next one.So why would the Vikings take a chance on him? The numbers don’t lie. Pasquarelli on Olsen's athleticism

At the combine, Olsen checked in at 6-5 7/8 and 254 pounds but was still clocked in the 40 in a sterling 4.51 seconds. How fast is that? Consider this: It is a better time than was turned in by 19 of the 42 wide receivers who ran at Indianapolis. He also turned in a vertical jump of 35½ inches and a standing long jump of 9 feet, 6 inches. At his campus pro day workout for scouts on March 3, Olsen improved his vertical jump to 37½ inches and his long jump to 9-11.

It doesn't hurt Olsen, either, that this is a very pedestrian talent pool compared to the tight end classes of the last several drafts. Of the 16 tight ends who ran at the combine, Olsen was the only one to record a 40 time of less than 4.7 seconds.
If true, Jones pro day numbers are second only to Olsens
NFL | B. Jones works out at Pro Day - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:44:23 -0700

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Southern Illinois TE Braden Jones measured a height of 6-foot-3 1/8 and a weight of 260 pounds at his Pro Day. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.58 seconds and 4.60 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.28 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.19 seconds. He measured a 39-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-6 broad jump and completed 20 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press.

Yes nice article here. :popcorn: The one thing that is not mentioned about A squared is that he has character issues which is why his stock fell. Hopefully he'll grow up for us.

chili said that 55 guys will be around to participate this weekend. only rooks and udfa's. should be interesting to see what shakes out.

-Coach Childress surprisingly mentioned that maybe the most polished receiver of the bunch was Chandler Williams who made several highlight reel grabs, one in particular on the sideline falling out of bounds and dragging the feet.

-Not in attendance was KFAN dot com favorite Jason Carter, and I'm told Childress prefers Martin Nance who was there today and looks very strong. A big disappointment for me considering what JC did in the pre-season last year and the fact that he never even got a ball thrown his way once he got in a real game.

-Tyler Thigpen threw a much nicer ball than I thought he would, that said he looks like a practice squad guy at this point. But he is a good enough athlete that he'll have a real chance to compete with Drew Henson for the thrid QB spot as they seem committed to keeping him under center as opposed to WR.
http://vikings.kfan.com/sports/nflguide/lo...0D-7C8C1C968420

Jersey numbers for the rookies.

LB Rufus Alexander - 57

WR Aundrae Allison - 14

C Norm Katnik - 66

WR Todd Lowber - 86

S Andre Maddox - 44

CB Marcus McCauley - 31

RB Adrian Peterson - 28

WR Sidney Rice - 18

DE Brian Robison - 96

TE Steven Spach - 84

WR Justin Surrency - 13

QB Tyler Thigpen - 16

WR Chandler Williams - 89

I can't stand WR's wearing #'s in the teens. :moneybag:

Although, I suppose you could take one of those cheap Brad Johnson jerseys from the local racks and alter it to an Allison. :lmao:

Andy Dufresne said:

LB Rufus Alexander - 57

WR Aundrae Allison - 14

C Norm Katnik - 66

WR Todd Lowber - 86

S Andre Maddox - 44

CB Marcus McCauley - 31

RB Adrian Peterson - 28

WR Sidney Rice - 18

DE Brian Robison - 96

TE Steven Spach - 84

WR Justin Surrency - 13

QB Tyler Thigpen - 16

I can't stand WR's wearing #'s in the teens. :thumbup:

Although, I suppose you could take one of those cheap Brad Johnson jerseys from the local racks and alter it to an Allison. :(
I knew they weren't resigning Travis Taylor, but it must be difficult, reading the paper and discovering that a rook just took your number. I too hate the WR in the teens.

Andy Dufresne said:
Jersey numbers for the rookies.WR Aundrae Allison - 14 WR Todd Lowber - 86 WR Sidney Rice - 18 TE Steven Spach - 84 WR Justin Surrency - 13 WR Chandler Williams - 89 I can't stand WR's wearing #'s in the teens. :bag:
I can't say I disagree with you, but not much you can do with 17 (14 WR + 4 TE) recievers on the roster.

Andy Dufresne said:
Jersey numbers for the rookies.WR Aundrae Allison - 14 WR Todd Lowber - 86 WR Sidney Rice - 18 TE Steven Spach - 84 WR Justin Surrency - 13 WR Chandler Williams - 89 I can't stand WR's wearing #'s in the teens. :excited:
I can't say I disagree with you, but not much you can do with 17 (14 WR + 4 TE) recievers on the roster.
#s will change after the season gets underway. Although, #80 and #84 will be retired in time (or should be). It doesn't leave alot in the # of 80's when Page has his #81 as a DT.That's why unlike 25 man baseball rosters, football shouldn't retire #'s. There just too many players on a team to retire your favorite greats.

Andy Dufresne said:

WR Aundrae Allison - 14

WR Todd Lowber - 86

WR Sidney Rice - 18

TE Steven Spach - 84

WR Justin Surrency - 13

I can't stand WR's wearing #'s in the teens. :brush:
#s will change after the season gets underway. Although, #80 and #84 will be retired in time (or should be). It doesn't leave alot in the # of 80's when Page has his #81 as a DT.That's why unlike 25 man baseball rosters, football shouldn't retire #'s. There just too many players on a team to retire your favorite greats.
:lmao: :wall: Page was 88. Carl Eller was 81.

Andy Dufresne said:

WR Aundrae Allison - 14

WR Todd Lowber - 86

WR Sidney Rice - 18

TE Steven Spach - 84

WR Justin Surrency - 13

I can't stand WR's wearing #'s in the teens. :brush:
:lmao: :wall: Page was 88. Carl Eller was 81.
My bad. I'm too young to ever see them play. I have seen Eller in persen, however. I felt I like I needed to let him know that the jericurl will never come back in fashion, but...I heard he's been through a lot, so I let it go.

Andy Dufresne said:

WR Aundrae Allison - 14

WR Todd Lowber - 86

WR Sidney Rice - 18

TE Steven Spach - 84

WR Justin Surrency - 13

I can't stand WR's wearing #'s in the teens. :lmao:
:bye: :bag: Page was 88. Carl Eller was 81.
My bad. I'm too young to ever see them play. I have seen Eller in persen, however. I felt I like I needed to let him know that the jericurl will never come back in fashion, but...I heard he's been through a lot, so I let it go.
at the draft party he was walking through the crowd and a little kid asked for his autograph, he refused. :thumbup: I can see turning down auto requests when you are out to dinner or on personal time, but this is a vikings event.

Andy Dufresne said:

WR Aundrae Allison - 14

WR Todd Lowber - 86

WR Sidney Rice - 18

TE Steven Spach - 84

WR Justin Surrency - 13

I can't stand WR's wearing #'s in the teens. :confused:
No way that should happen. No way.

jestertj said:

WR Aundrae Allison - 14

WR Todd Lowber - 86

WR Sidney Rice - 18

TE Steven Spach - 84

WR Justin Surrency - 13

I can't stand WR's wearing #'s in the teens. :headbang:
:sadbanana: ZERO percent chance they retire Moss' jersey.

jestertj said:

WR Aundrae Allison - 14

WR Todd Lowber - 86

WR Sidney Rice - 18

TE Steven Spach - 84

WR Justin Surrency - 13

I can't stand WR's wearing #'s in the teens. :angry:
:lmao: ZERO percent chance they retire Moss' jersey.
:yawn: Moss revitialized the franchise. Until he went sour his last few years here, he ranked right behind Kirby and Garnett as the most beloved athlete in Minnesota. He helped sell out the Metrodome. He was the greatest WR to ever don a Vikings jersey.

If you're looking at pure numbers and marketablility, there's no way Moss isn't included in the Ring of Fame.

If you're looking at his clown ### antics, there's no way he should be included.

I don't think it's as cut and dry as many would believe.

If/when Moss goes into the Hall of Fame, he will go in as a Viking. How do you exclude a Hall of Famer from the team's Ring of Fame?

jestertj said:

WR Aundrae Allison - 14

WR Todd Lowber - 86

WR Sidney Rice - 18

TE Steven Spach - 84

WR Justin Surrency - 13

:thumbup: ZERO percent chance they retire Moss' jersey.
:shrug: Moss revitialized the franchise. Until he went sour his last few years here, he ranked right behind Kirby and Garnett as the most beloved athlete in Minnesota. He helped sell out the Metrodome. He was the greatest WR to ever don a Vikings jersey.

If you're looking at pure numbers and marketablility, there's no way Moss isn't included in the Ring of Fame.

If you're looking at his clown ### antics, there's no way he should be included.

If/when Moss goes into the Hall of Fame, he will go in as a Viking. How do you exclude a Hall of Famer from the team's Ring of Fame?
I wouldn't put that in stone, especially if he wins a ring in NE and is successful for a few years.

jestertj said:

WR Aundrae Allison - 14

WR Todd Lowber - 86

WR Sidney Rice - 18

TE Steven Spach - 84

WR Justin Surrency - 13

:shrug: ZERO percent chance they retire Moss' jersey.
:shrug: Moss revitialized the franchise. Until he went sour his last few years here, he ranked right behind Kirby and Garnett as the most beloved athlete in Minnesota. He helped sell out the Metrodome. He was the greatest WR to ever don a Vikings jersey.

I wouldn't put that in stone, especially if he wins a ring in NE and is successful for a few years.
I believe that unlike baseball, you don't choose a team to go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. You go in as a member of every team you played for. Go to http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/teams.html and check the list. Alan Page is listed as a Viking and a Bear. Dave Casper is also listed as a Viking. I don't think you necessarily choose. Am I wrong?I think Moss has no spot in the ring of honor. Yes, he helped in revitalizing the franchise, but to say he was the only cog in that is wrong. Anyway, the key word is "honor" and the "straight cash, homey" doesn't belong there.

jestertj said:

WR Aundrae Allison - 14

WR Todd Lowber - 86

WR Sidney Rice - 18

TE Steven Spach - 84

WR Justin Surrency - 13

I can't stand WR's wearing #'s in the teens. :cry:
:2cents: ZERO percent chance they retire Moss' jersey.

I believe that unlike baseball, you don't choose a team to go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. You go in as a member of every team you played for. Go to http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/teams.html and check the list. Alan Page is listed as a Viking and a Bear. Dave Casper is also listed as a Viking. I don't think you necessarily choose. Am I wrong?I think Moss has no spot in the ring of honor. Yes, he helped in revitalizing the franchise, but to say he was the only cog in that is wrong. Anyway, the key word is "honor" and the "straight cash, homey" doesn't belong there.
I thought they usually picked one team as their 'main team' or am I thinking of beisbol? I do know that all the teams they have ever played for get credit.

Surgery not required for Peterson!

The Vikings announced today that rookie RB Adrian Peterson will not need surgery to complete the healing process of his fractured left collarbone. Dr. Joel Boyd, the team’s new orthopedic doctor, said in a meeting with reporters today that Peterson will be ready for full contact when training camp begins in July.

Team officials made the final decision Tuesday after another round of tests showed that Peterson’s collarbone is healing satisfactorily on its own. Had he been forced to undergo surgery, Peterson would have needed 3-6 months to recover, Boyd said.

“It was felt that now it would be best to let it heal and progress in a natural way,” Boyd said. ”The healing shows enough progression that, at this point in time, we are not overly concerned that it’s not going to heal in a normal way.”

Peterson originally suffered the injury Oct. 14 and re-fractured it Jan. 1 in the Fiesta Bowl, Vikings athletic trainer Eric Sugarman said. Some of the pre-draft concern about the injury arose because teams initially did not know about the second injury. Once Peterson acknowledged he had been injured in the Fiesta Bowl, the Vikings’ concern abated.

Look for more details throughout the day on StarTribune.com and in the morning paper.

UPDATE: The Vikings announced the signings of two more rookie free agents today:

Northwestern State DB Chad Johnson

Texas Southern G Andy Olemgbe

:shrug: :shrug:

This is very good news!!!

More good news...

Fluff piece on Pat WIlliams

The important part of this Strib article is that the Vikings and Fat Pat have had discussions on a four year extention which some think will be a done deal by training camp. Pat talks about how he would like to finish his career as a Viking, and that he currently weighs 327, only 2 lbs. over Childress's weight requirement for training camp.

:shrug: :shrug: :thumbup:

Offseason Good News Continues....

Erasmus update

Vikings head athletic trainer Eric Sugarman said DE Erasmus James is on course to be available at training camp.

"He’s doing fine," Sugarman said. "Erasmus has made great progress over the course of the last two months. He’s running in the pool. He’s doing everything we ask, and showing every indication that he’ll be out there for training camp when we go to Mankato. That’s our goal."

Other than James, the only other player who will not be able to fully participate in the OTAs next week is S Mike Doss.

http://vikingsnow.blogspot.com/

Players trickled into the locker room following the Vikings' first offseason practice until only Troy Williamson, a young assistant coach and a Jugs machine were left.

"This isn't working," Williamson said to the young assistant while trying to catch deep balls launched into a stiff, swirling wind. "It's crazy out here today. You got one of these machines inside?"

Moments later, Williamson, the seventh overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft, was on his way inside to catch even more balls. It's become a daily routine, his way of dealing with the team-high 11 dropped passes he had in 14 games last season.

"I've caught about 13,000 balls in the three months since I've been back from Nike," said Williamson, referring to his two-day evaluation by Nike vision consultant Alan Reichow at Nike headquarters in Beaverton, Ore.

"[Receivers coach George Stewart] keeps track of all that stuff, and the other day he asked me how many balls I thought I had caught since Nike. I was going to say about 1,500. But it was 13,000. That's a lot. But I'm a professional. I want to conduct myself as a professional by taking this thing seriously."

Williamson revealed Tuesday that Reichow -- or "Uncle Al," as Williamson now calls him -- determined that the receiver's right eye is weaker than his left. Reichow's evaluation included tests that judged hand-eye coordination, eye movements and eye strength from different angles.

"Looking straight ahead, my eyes are 20-20," Williamson said. "But, as Uncle Al says, the eye is really more complicated than you think. So they tested me on different gazes as I'm looking at a ball to catch it. That's when they determined that my right eye was weaker."

Reichow prescribed a set of drills designed to strengthen Williamson's right eye. Nike has not returned calls to the Star Tribune, and Vikings coach Brad Childress has avoided talking about Williamson's Nike experience in detail.

"It's stuff that we're trying to keep under tabs, trying not to let too much stuff get out," Williamson said. "The drills and stuff are confidential, but I will say it's an ongoing process. I'm not finished yet, and there's more stuff I'm working with. But so far it's a lot of work and it really, really helps."

Williamson's eyes won't be retested at Nike headquarters until mid-June, but he said his right eye feels stronger and he is seeing the ball more clearly when he looks over his right shoulder. Whether that transfers to the field this fall, Williamson will have to wait and see.

"All I can do is put in my time and do what I need to do to get myself better and my confidence back up," Williamson said. "I have to practice every day and make the routine plays over and over, and the big plays, too, when it's time. And then I can be the player that they expected me to be when they drafted me that high."

Williamson has only 61 catches and two touchdowns in 26 NFL games. He had 37 catches and no touchdowns last season.

The Vikings have at least two ties to the Nike evaluation process. Alan Reichow is the son of Jerry Reichow, who has been with the Vikings as a player or member of the scouting department since 1961. And before the 1994 season, then-Vikings receiver Jake Reed visited Nike. He caught 85 balls that season.

"At first, I was like, 'I don't know if this stuff will work,' " Williamson said. "I mean I had my eyes checked before and they were 20-20. But when Coach Childress called me with the idea, I said I was fine with it. I'm OK with anything. But this has really surprised me. It's really good stuff. And it's working."
LinkFrom today's Star Tribune... :shrug: Don't sleep too long on Williamson...

Players trickled into the locker room following the Vikings' first offseason practice until only Troy Williamson, a young assistant coach and a Jugs machine were left.

"This isn't working," Williamson said to the young assistant while trying to catch deep balls launched into a stiff, swirling wind. "It's crazy out here today. You got one of these machines inside?"

Moments later, Williamson, the seventh overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft, was on his way inside to catch even more balls. It's become a daily routine, his way of dealing with the team-high 11 dropped passes he had in 14 games last season.

"I've caught about 13,000 balls in the three months since I've been back from Nike," said Williamson, referring to his two-day evaluation by Nike vision consultant Alan Reichow at Nike headquarters in Beaverton, Ore.

"[Receivers coach George Stewart] keeps track of all that stuff, and the other day he asked me how many balls I thought I had caught since Nike. I was going to say about 1,500. But it was 13,000. That's a lot. But I'm a professional. I want to conduct myself as a professional by taking this thing seriously."

Williamson revealed Tuesday that Reichow -- or "Uncle Al," as Williamson now calls him -- determined that the receiver's right eye is weaker than his left. Reichow's evaluation included tests that judged hand-eye coordination, eye movements and eye strength from different angles.

"Looking straight ahead, my eyes are 20-20," Williamson said. "But, as Uncle Al says, the eye is really more complicated than you think. So they tested me on different gazes as I'm looking at a ball to catch it. That's when they determined that my right eye was weaker."

Reichow prescribed a set of drills designed to strengthen Williamson's right eye. Nike has not returned calls to the Star Tribune, and Vikings coach Brad Childress has avoided talking about Williamson's Nike experience in detail.

"It's stuff that we're trying to keep under tabs, trying not to let too much stuff get out," Williamson said. "The drills and stuff are confidential, but I will say it's an ongoing process. I'm not finished yet, and there's more stuff I'm working with. But so far it's a lot of work and it really, really helps."

Williamson's eyes won't be retested at Nike headquarters until mid-June, but he said his right eye feels stronger and he is seeing the ball more clearly when he looks over his right shoulder. Whether that transfers to the field this fall, Williamson will have to wait and see.

"All I can do is put in my time and do what I need to do to get myself better and my confidence back up," Williamson said. "I have to practice every day and make the routine plays over and over, and the big plays, too, when it's time. And then I can be the player that they expected me to be when they drafted me that high."

Williamson has only 61 catches and two touchdowns in 26 NFL games. He had 37 catches and no touchdowns last season.

The Vikings have at least two ties to the Nike evaluation process. Alan Reichow is the son of Jerry Reichow, who has been with the Vikings as a player or member of the scouting department since 1961. And before the 1994 season, then-Vikings receiver Jake Reed visited Nike. He caught 85 balls that season.

"At first, I was like, 'I don't know if this stuff will work,' " Williamson said. "I mean I had my eyes checked before and they were 20-20. But when Coach Childress called me with the idea, I said I was fine with it. I'm OK with anything. But this has really surprised me. It's really good stuff. And it's working."
LinkFrom today's Star Tribune... :yes: Don't sleep too long on Williamson...
:shrug: It is a GREAT sign that he is working on it and working on it hard.. A lot of receivers would say " :thumbup: you are going to drop a few, what can you do :shrug:".. Hopefully his confidence doesn't go into the :popcorn: when he drops his first pass... No matter who you want to look at all Receivers drop a few balls here and there..

Hopefully his concentration and these drills will make him a good Receiver we can count on.

OTA Update -

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/

The Vikings opened their Organized Team Activities today with two significant no-shows. While Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson was excused to attend a golf outing in Ann Arbor, Mich., cornerback Antoine Winfield gave no reason for not showing up. Keep in mind these camps are not mandatory so Winfield can’t be fined for his absence. Nonetheless, the Vikings want all players in attendance.

So why did Winfield elect to stay away? Coach Brad Childress said “you’d have to ask him that,” when asked about Winfield’s whereabouts. “He hasn’t been here in the offeseason program and that’s a guy’s perogative,” Childress said.

Childress said Winfield has not requested a trade but couldn’t say if he would be at the mandatory minicamp, which runs June 1-3.

Other updates from a non-contact practice session that went for about two hours:

– For the first time, Chester Taylor talked about the Vikings’ decision to take fellow running back Adrian Peterson with the seventh-overall pick in last month’s draft. “They said they were going to give me some help,” Taylor said. “All they are doing is adding depth to our running back crew, so if I go down I’m confident these guys will be able to take over.” Taylor and Peterson talked for the first time on Tuesday. Taylor, by the way, will miss Friday’s session because he will be attending a funeral.

– Quarterback Tarvaris Jackson ran the first-team offense. Some of his intended targets had troubles holding onto the ball. Free-agent tight end Visanthe Shiancoe dropped at least two passes in various drills, including one from Jackson in the end zone. After Shiancoe dropped an earlier pass he kicked an object on the field and broke it. Tight end Richard Owens, meanwhile, dropped back-to-back passes from rookie quarterback Tyler Thigpen. On the positive side, free-agent receiver Bobby Wade made a nice catch in the end zone.

– Rookie tight end Braden Jones, signed as a free agent after the draft, made a couple of nice catches but he had to leave the field early after injuring a finger on his left hand.

– Free-agent safety Mike Doss, whose 2006 season with Indianapolis was cut short by a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, was able to participate. Doss worked with Tank Williams as a second-team safety. Defensive end Erasmus James (knee) did not take part on Tuesday but he was on the field listening to the instructions from line coach Karl Dunbar. James is expected to be ready for training camp.

– Linebacker Chad Greenway, whose rookie season came to an end after one preseason game in 2006, worked with the first team at weak-side linebacker. E.J. Henderson has moved to the middle and Ben Leber remains on the strong side.

– With James out, Darrion Scott was the first-team left end and Ray Edwards worked at right end. Kenechi Udeze, who did not register a sack last season despite starting at right end for much of the year, was the second team left end.

– Receivers Chandler Williams, Bobby Wade and Jason Carter all got some time returning punts.

Considering dropped passes are among Brad Childress’ biggest pet peeves, the Vikings coach couldn’t have been very pleased with what he saw Wednesay at Winter Park. Receivers consistently had trouble hanging onto the football during an OTA workout that lasted for nearly two hours.Practicing under cloudy skies and an occasional drizzle, Billy McMullen and Maurice Mann were among the receivers who had trouble catching the football early. In a one-on-one drill in which a receiver went against a defensive back, Cortez Hankton and Randy Hymes both were unable to haul in passes.Not every pass hit the ground, however. At one point, the new-to-football but very speedy Todd Lowber caught a deep pass from Brooks Bollinger and shortly thereafter Troy Williamson beat cornerback Chad Johnson to catch a deep ball from Tarvaris Jackson.For the second consecutive day, cornerback Antoine Winfield and guard Steve Hutchinson were absent. This isn’t a mandatory camp but attendance is expected. Hutchinson’s absence is excused but Winfield is staying away in what appears to be a contract issue. (Winfield and his reps aren’t talking.)Hutchinson, by the way, is being replaced by Anthony Herrera at first-team left guard. Speaking of the offensive line, backup center Norm Katnik and Jackson continue to struggle with exchanges. The two had a few fumbled snaps on Tuesday and it happened again today.They both had to jog about 70 yards down the field to the end zone as a result of one miscue.

Anyone know why Winfield is not showing up. Was there a contract disbute last season?
No one is saying anything. No contract dispute last year. Two years ago he was #####ing about the defense, last year he was #####ing about the offense. Rumorville thinks that he wants to be traded to a competitive team, rather than deal with a rebuilding project at this stage of his career. Or it could all be nothing, but media printing anything. I am sure he will be there when the OPTIONAL part is done.

Anyone know why Winfield is not showing up. Was there a contract disbute last season?
This was the only thing I could find from the Star-Trib
Winfield sends cautionary signals to team

As explanations for Antoine Winfield's offseason absence from the Vikings grew Wednesday, his agent left open the possibility of a training camp holdout in a report posted on the NFL's website.

Last update: May 23, 2007 – 9:56 PM

Print this storyPrint this story

E-mail this storyE-mail this story

Save to del.icio.usSave to del.icio.us

Share on newsvineShare on newsvine

Share on DiggShare on Digg

More from Vikings

* Vikings: Henderson lands back in the middle

* Interview with Tyler Thigpen, Vikings rookie QB

* Wide receiver Williamson is on own vision quest

As explanations for Antoine Winfield's offseason absence from the Vikings grew Wednesday, his agent left open the possibility of a training camp holdout in a report posted on the NFL's website.

Agent Richard Katz confirmed Winfield would report for the mandatory minicamp June 1-3, but said "I can't comment" on whether Winfield would attend training camp. Katz, who has not returned phone calls from the Star Tribune, also declined comment on whether Winfield wants a new contract to replace the six-year, $35 million deal that expires after the 2009 season.

While some in the Vikings organization believe Winfield ultimately is seeking a new contract, others are aligned with an explanation provided on NFL.com. Pointedly, no one is professing to fully understand Winfield's viewpoint.

The NFL's report suggested Winfield is unhappy to have missed the playoffs in two of his three seasons with the Vikings and is frustrated with the team's performance.

That frustration, however, has apparently not pushed Winfield to seek employment with another team. Coach Brad Childress said this week that Winfield has not sought a trade.

The Vikings seem unlikely to reopen Winfield's contract, which will pay him $4.9 million in 2007, because of the precedent it would set for other players who are in the midst of long-term contracts.

If Winfield is unhappy with the Vikings' direction, meanwhile, there are few substantive changes the team can make to appease him between now and the start of training camp.

Coaches and players seem convinced that Winfield will rejoin them next week for minicamp and appear unconcerned about a longer-term problem.

KEVIN SEIFERT

If it is contract related, they should give in right now and re-do his deal...make it front loaded like crazy since they are so far under the cap this year. I know he has three years or so left on the deal, but the guy is special and if money is the case - figure it out before it gets ugly.

FunkyPlutos said:
If it is contract related, they should give in right now and re-do his deal...make it front loaded like crazy since they are so far under the cap this year. I know he has three years or so left on the deal, but the guy is special and if money is the case - figure it out before it gets ugly.
No way. That's bad business. If he wants to turn into a complete ******* then let him sit out or grant him a trade. He's a very good player, but this team needs leaders not whiners.

FunkyPlutos said:
No way. That's bad business. If he wants to turn into a complete ******* then let him sit out or grant him a trade. He's a very good player, but this team needs leaders not whiners.
besides that, this is EXACTLY what the Vikings did to get him from the NJY is front load it. He was making huge bucks his first year, besides that.... other veteran players will want to re-do their deals. i say sorry but NO.

Saw this somewhere........... "Tom Pelissero, of the Green Bay Press Gazette, reports the Green Bay Packers may release DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila by Sept. 1. "

We have a history of liking to double stick it to our divisional foes so why not make a move here. Detroit and other teams lower in the free agency ranking might scoop him up depending on his current contract but I'd think he'd make a great situationally pass rusher for us.

Saw this somewhere........... "Tom Pelissero, of the Green Bay Press Gazette, reports the Green Bay Packers may release DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila by Sept. 1. "We have a history of liking to double stick it to our divisional foes so why not make a move here. Detroit and other teams lower in the free agency ranking might scoop him up depending on his current contract but I'd think he'd make a great situationally pass rusher for us.
He'll go to the team that offers him the most money. Some sucker will pay it. I doubt it will be Minnesota.

You guys should start up a few threads on your local Vikes message boards encouraging the sound guys to play "Who let the dogs out" for the season opener against Atl. It's going to be a long season for Mike Vick :goodposting:

QUEZILLA said:
You guys should start up a few threads on your local Vikes message boards encouraging the sound guys to play "Who let the dogs out" for the season opener against Atl. It's going to be a long season for Mike Vick :D
:pickle: :bs:

QUEZILLA said:
You guys should start up a few threads on your local Vikes message boards encouraging the sound guys to play "Who let the dogs out" for the season opener against Atl. It's going to be a long season for Mike Vick :lmao:
Other candidates:Bark at the Moon - OzzyDog Eat Dog - AC/DCHound Dog - ElvisHow Much Is That Doggie In the Window - ???

Atl has it's first 2 games on the road. @Min, and then @Jax. I can't even imagine how it will sound in these stadiums. I really wouldn't be surprised if people protest outside the stadiums, particularly when they get home to Atl. I bet the Peta people will be in full force with pictures of abused dogs, etc.

QUEZILLA said:
Atl has it's first 2 games on the road. @Min, and then @Jax. I can't even imagine how it will sound in these stadiums. I really wouldn't be surprised if people protest outside the stadiums, particularly when they get home to Atl. I bet the Peta people will be in full force with pictures of abused dogs, etc.
If he is in fact charged I can't see how the commish doesn't suspend him for a few games. Sure Pacman is a jerk, but has he been convicted of anything yet?? Yet he is gone for the year pending the outcome of his appeal.

Didn't they frontload his current deal? Isn't that why he's not happy now? I agree though; last thing I want to see is AW on a different team.

Don't want to interrupt this great MVick discussion but...

http://vikingsnow.blogspot.com/

Mini camp update

Antoine Winfield is running with the starters, in his rightful place.

Also, WR Cortez Hankton lined up opposite Bobby Wade with the starting offense. On most plays, though, Troy Williamson starts with Wade.

Lastly, Ray Edwards is lining up with the starters at right end.

TeamDingo said:
Also, WR Cortez Hankton lined up opposite Bobby Wade with the starting offense. On most plays, though, Troy Williamson starts with Wade.
Cortez Hankton???
TeamDingo said:
Lastly, Ray Edwards is lining up with the starters at right end.
Wonder how long this will last. He has the talent if he can develop the attitude.

Users who are viewing this thread