What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Offseason (2007) (1 Viewer)

Any chance Tavaris Jackson is the surprise fantasy player of the year? He might be the fastest starting QB in the league with Vick likely out for the year
No. There is a misconception that Tarvaris is a scrambler. He's athletic, but he's much more of a pocket passer than people realize.
Also, Chili won't allow it. Chili doesn't dig the rollouts.
I don't know...That designed roll/bootleg against the Rams worked very nicely for 17 yards. I think you might see disigned bootlegs more than you think... Especially if Bevell keeps calling the plays...

Consecutive sellout streak in jeopardy.

Slow sales could result in no TV for Vikings

The Vikings haven't been blacked out on television in 10 years, but the team must sell 5,800 tickets to avoid that fate for the opener.

By Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune staff writers

The Vikings will launch a major advertising campaign today after acknowledging that their season opener is threatened by a television blackout because of slow ticket sales.

In an interview Tuesday evening, team officials conceded their 10-year Metrodome sellout streak is in jeopardy, with their Sept. 9 game vs. Atlanta in danger of a rare blackout. The Vikings must sell 5,800 tickets by noon Sept. 6, or NFL rules will prohibit the game from being televised in the Twin Cities and many secondary markets around the state.

Steve LaCroix, Vikings vice president of sales and marketing, said that selling the remaining tickets will be a challenge. Lester Bagley, VP of public affairs, said the situation has put TV coverage in jeopardy.

"We want to let our fan base know the issue at hand," LaCroix said. "Is it insurmountable? No, I don't think so."

The Vikings' last blackout came Dec. 21, 1997, when 54,107 tickets were sold for the season finale against Indianapolis. Since then, the Vikings have sold out 96 consecutive home games, including those in the preseason.

Ticket sales have slowed measurably the past two seasons, the culmination of a six-year run of embarrassing mishaps off the field and mediocre performances on it. Fans and former players voiced their discontent during the offseason, expressing frustration with the team's direction and feeling disconnected from its operations.

Ticket prices steady

The Vikings responded by either lowering or holding steady on 67 percent of their ticket prices. They also used television and radio advertisements for the first time in recent history. Sales have nevertheless stagnated, especially single-game tickets that went on sale this summer.

The NFL requires the Vikings to sell 62,000 tickets to consider a Metrodome game sold out. Although they have met that figure for Thursday's preseason game against Dallas, the Vikings have sold only 56,200 tickets for the season opener.

"I think we can get there, but we're going to need to really have some positive movement in the coming days," LaCroix said.

That figure of 56,200 includes tickets sold through a creative policy that packaged the Falcons game with the Vikings' most popular ticket, their Sept. 30 game against the Green Bay Packers.

In order to buy a ticket for the Packers game, fans also had to purchase an equivalent ticket for the Falcons. That strategy not only left the Atlanta game short, but the Vikings still have thousands of tickets remaining for the Packers game and their other six home games, against Philadelphia, San Diego, Oakland, Detroit, Chicago and Washington.

Advertising blitz coming

The team will initiate a new advertising blitz this week, LaCroix said. It will also send e-mail alerts to 160,000 fans in its computer database in hopes of avoiding the blackout.

"We understand that in today's climate and economy, you have to compete for people's investment," LaCroix said. "It's competitive to get their attention, it's competitive to get their financial resources."

The NFL has long used the blackout threat to encourage local attendance. By rule, the league requires each of its 32 teams to sell out home games within 72 hours of kickoff. Extensions are rare, but so are blackouts: In 2006, the NFL blacked out only seven of its 256 regular-season games -- four in Buffalo, two in Oakland and one in St. Louis.

All tickets must be sold at face value to prevent mass giveaways, but LaCroix said the team has been "in discussions" with local corporations about bulk purchases.

In a 1979 provision to the Metrodome's construction, General Mills agreed to buy the unsold tickets for Vikings home games when at least 90 percent of them had been sold 72 hours before kickoff. But the $1.5 million set aside to buy unsold tickets dried up in 1994.

In general, localities within a 75-mile radius of the team's home stadium are also subject to the blackout. The exact distance varies based on the market.

Big TV ratings

A Vikings blackout would have a substantial impact on the Minnesota fan base, which even in bad times has traditionally given local broadcasters large ratings. Last year, the Vikings finished 6-10 but still averaged a 30.2 rating and a 59 share in the Twin Cities, 10th-best in the NFL.

The Falcons game is scheduled to be televised on local Fox affiliate KMSP (Ch. 9), but a blackout would force another game -- probably Green Bay-Philadelphia -- to be aired in the Twin Cities as well as these secondary markets: Alexandria, Austin, Mankato, Redwood Falls, Rochester and Mason City, Iowa.

Blackout rules also apply to customers in those markets who have the NFL Ticket package on DirecTV.

Minnesotans wishing to view a blacked-out Vikings game must travel to a non-local market. Because the Vikings-Falcons game is scheduled to be shown to only 9 percent of the country, a blackout would limit the in-state broadcast to markets with independent Fox stations, such as Duluth.

The game also could be viewed on satellite dishes outside of the Vikings' primary and secondary markets.

"We don't want it to come to that," Bagley said. "We have a great fan base. We want them to know the issue and we want them to show up."

Kevin Seifert • kseifert@startribune.com Judd Zulgad • jzulgad@startribune.com

Uh oh.

Vikings deal to buy Star Tribune property falls through

The Minnesota Vikings are backing away from an agreement to buy four blocks near the Metrodome from the Star Tribune, newspaper officials announced late this morning.

Star Tribune

Last update: August 29, 2007 – 1:33 PM

The Minnesota Vikings are backing away from an agreement to buy four blocks near the Metrodome from the Star Tribune, newspaper officials announced late this morning.

The Vikings cited a turbulent credit market for causing them to re-evaluate their plans, according to Star Tribune Publisher Par Ridder.

Lester Bagley, vice president of public affairs for the Vikings, said “following our due diligence with Avista regarding the Star Tribune property acquisition, we decided not to proceed with the terms of the contract.”

He attributed the fall-through to the dramatic change in the credit markets since the deal was reached.

“We’re still committed to advancing a Minneapolis stadium solution and advancing a broader economic development package that will benefit the entire state,” Bagley said.

The Vikings had agreed in June to pay a reported $45 million for the land, which includes several blocks of ground-level parking and the newspaper’s 25-year-old Freeman Building, the newer of its two downtown buildings. The package had been valued at $21.5 million, according to Hennepin County records.

The Vikings had been angling for a new stadium on the downtown blocks, with a project coast soaring toward $1 billion. Owner Zygi Wilf bought three downtown parking lots in May for $5 million and had been negotiating to buy the underground ramp between the Star Tribune and the Metrodome — under the light rail station — for a reported $14.5 million. That ramp is owned by the city of Minneapolis.

Wilf’s efforts to buy the downtown land had been seen as key to further development in the east reaches of downtown Minneapolis and critical to his expected plea for money from the Legislature to help build a new stadium.

Both the Vikings and the Twins are committed to play in the Metrodome through 2009.

The newspaper will continue to consolidate its operations into its main building at 425 Portland Av. and close the Freeman Building, Ridder indicated in a news release. Ridder also stated that the newspaper’s parent company, Avista Capital Partners, will continue to work with real estate advisers to determine a next step.

Yeah. Blackouts they a-coming. {sigh}
They won't be blacked out once they're moved to LA and renamed the Matadors.
Please to be keeping your fly by night franchise where it is, thank you very much. Sincerely,The Citizens of Los AngelesPS. If they did move, the name "Lakers" has a nice ring to it - don't you think?
How about The Los Angeles Toros of Rancho Cucamonga?
They've already got the Quakes - the ex-Vikes would be stepchildren.What is it with you and the bull related names? :thumbup:

Please to be keeping your fly by night franchise where it is, thank you very much. Sincerely,The Citizens of Los AngelesPS. If they did move, the name "Lakers" has a nice ring to it - don't you think?
They've already got the Quakes - the ex-Vikes would be stepchildren.What is it with you and the bull related names? :2cents:
I'm trying to appeal to the hispanic demographic.

They've already got the Quakes - the ex-Vikes would be stepchildren.What is it with you and the bull related names? :2cents:
If Charo couldn't do it, what makes you think you can with your snappy names?Coochie Coochie!

Please to be keeping your fly by night franchise where it is, thank you very much. Sincerely,

The Citizens of Los Angeles

PS. If they did move, the name "Lakers" has a nice ring to it - don't you think?
They've already got the Quakes - the ex-Vikes would be stepchildren.What is it with you and the bull related names? :D
If Charo couldn't do it, what makes you think you can with your snappy names?Coochie Coochie!
How about the Chupacabra?The guy on the right would make an AWESOME logo.

Last edited by a moderator:
wins against:

Atl

Det

KC

GB x2

Oak

Was

SF

NYG

Steal one from CHI

You are saying this isn't possible?

Please to be keeping your fly by night franchise where it is, thank you very much. Sincerely,

The Citizens of Los Angeles

PS. If they did move, the name "Lakers" has a nice ring to it - don't you think?
They've already got the Quakes - the ex-Vikes would be stepchildren.What is it with you and the bull related names? :D
How about the Chupacabra?The guy on the right would make an AWESOME logo.
Singular or plural?Either way"The Horchata" would be a better team name than that.

wins against:Atl - LDet - L x 2KC - W GB - L x 2Oak - L (Oak's defense is GOOD)Was - LSF - LNYG - WSteal one from CHI - L x 2You are saying this isn't possible?
I am saying that's not possible.
You've made Chiefs and Giants fans very sad.
They are the worst teams in the NFL. The Dolphins will give them competition though. :shrug:
Big plans for the Browns?I also think the Texans are a mirage currently.

Big plans for the Browns?
I like what they've done with the o-line and I think their defense will surprise some this year and be pretty good. It all depends on the QB situation of course.
I also think the Texans are a mirage currently.
Agreed. A still "not good" team.As far as how they compare to the Cheifs and Giants - I think the entire Cheifs team is bad and the Giants defense is going to cost them many games this year.

The Vikings announced they have 3,500 tickets remaining for Sunday’s regular-season opener against Atlanta at the Metrodome. The team has until noon Thursday to sell those tickets or it will face its first blackout since the 1997 season. The Vikings voiced concerns about a blackout last week when they revealed they had 5,800 tickets left.Steve LaCroix, the Vikings’ vice president of sales and marketing, expressed optimism about the situation. “We’re definitely moving in the right direction,” he said. “There has been a good response from our fan base since we went public with the issue at hand. But there is a lot of work to do in the next 48 hours.” Sunday’s game is scheduled to be carried by Fox affiliate KMSP (Ch. 9) but if it’s not considered a sell out by Thursday it would be blacked out in the Twin Cities and secondary markets around the state (Alexandria, Austin, Mankato, Redwood Falls, Rochester and Mason City, Iowa).The NFL requires the Vikings to sell 62,000 tickets to consider a Metrodome game sold out. The Vikings’ last blackout came Dec. 21, 1997, when 54,107 tickets were sold for the season finale against Indianapolis. Since then, the Vikings have sold out 96 consecutive home games, including those in the preseason.One assumption some have made is that if the game isn’t a sell out by Thursday’s deadline that a company will step in and buy the remaining tickets. That might not be the case.“At this point there is no plan for that, but certainly as we get closer to the deadline and have discussions with the league office we’ll pursue every option possible,” LaCroix said.The other issue is the possibility of the Vikings receiving an extension past noon Thursday. The NFL has given extensions in the past but a team must be showing significant progress in its ticket sales. It’s not a given an extension will be granted. Working in the team’s favor is that when an extension is approved it’s usually because of special circumstances. In this case, the fact that Monday was a holiday could cause the NFL to give the Vikings a few extra hours to sell tickets.

reg said:
now ready for the season to begin. i see double digit wins. yes i am serious.
It's not out of the question, but I think 8 or 9 would be more likely.
:kicksrock: I would be more surprised if they went 4-12 than if they went 10-6 but they seem like a 7-9 to 9-7 type team to me.
:lmao: I think their both their offense and defense will be better than people think. They match up well against the Bears (smash-mouth type football helps negate their defensive speed and their offense can be stopped by the Vikings' defense). I am actually excited about the season.

wins against:AtlDetKCGB x2OakWasSFNYGSteal one from CHIYou are saying this isn't possible?
I'd say it's at least as likely we lose half of those games. Oak/Atlanta are the two I agree with and would go on record predicting wins. I typically pick KC at home against anyone; their historic home field advantage is right up there with Lambeau, even against superior teams. Only blind homerism could justify picking the Vikes twice over the Pack while Favre is still the QB there; at best I see that as a split and I'd further say we're as likely to lose both as split. I don't see the Vikes scoring a single offensive TD against the Bears this year after watching this matchup last year, so I'm not sure how we'd win one of those. Was/SF/NYG will no doubt be rightful favorites against the Vikes. I'd put the over/under for Viking wins no higher than 6. If I *had to* bet my house, I'd bet the under on that. All due respect, from unproven coaching to personnel, I'm hard pressed to see any justification for optimism.

reg said:
now ready for the season to begin. i see double digit wins. yes i am serious.
It's not out of the question, but I think 8 or 9 would be more likely.
4-12
Atta boy, scoob. :IBTL:
Are you guys Bears fans or somthing? I don't understand why you enjoy dogging on the Vikings.The team won 6 games last year. Seems to me they are better now than they were last year.ADGreenway healthy. Dontarrious Thomas actually starting to play well.Erasmus James healthy (maybe). Pass rush will be improved due to Edwards having more experience and rookie Robison.The right side of the Oline is playing better than last year.The WRs are not worse than last years group and could possibly be better. They certainly are more athletic. Just need more experience.Johnson was too old last year. Jackson looks much better than last year.You guys are not being realists here. Expect to be eating some crow when the Vikings win more games in 07 than they did in 06.I say again with fans like these who needs rivalries?

Are you guys Bears fans or somthing? I don't understand why you enjoy dogging on the Vikings.The team won 6 games last year. Seems to me they are better now than they were last year.
I get no enjoyment out of it.Things I agree with...
ADGreenway healthy. Dontarrious Thomas actually starting to play well.
AP and Greenway do indeed look like they could be great.Things I disagree with...
Erasmus James healthy (maybe). Pass rush will be improved due to Edwards having more experience and rookie Robison.The right side of the Oline is playing better than last year.The WRs are not worse than last years group and could possibly be better. They certainly are more athletic. Just need more experience.Johnson was too old last year. Jackson looks much better than last year.
James has not proven anything. Neither has Edwards and/or Robison.The right side looks just as bad as it did last year.The WRs are terribly inexperienced and by default can't help as much as last years less athletic crew.Jackson looks better than last year but still not more capable of winning this year than BJ did last.
You guys are not being realists here. Expect to be eating some crow when the Vikings win more games in 07 than they did in 06.I say again with fans like these who needs rivalries?
Just because we're not drinking the kool aid doesn't mean we're not fans.I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

It's not the athleticism or necessarily ability that will kill the team's chances this year. I love how athletic the team is becoming. There is a lot of talent on the team. But it is far, FAR too raw to compete with the teams it will face this year. It's the inexperience I fear.

I am much more excited about next year's team's prospects.

Inexperience and terrible coaching and game planning = (4-12)

They'll lose a blackout game against Atlanta in game one and the wheels will come off.

Users who are viewing this thread