What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Misogyny - Thoughts on it and has is become widespread? (1 Viewer)

Misogyny - dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women. 

Vox Article

Forbes on Misogyny

Tucker Carlson (Language in article may be NSFW)

Things that could be considered misogyny or at least worth a discussion:

• Grabbing women by the ….
  • Suggesting women are less capable
  • Crazy/Hot Matrix
  • Dress codes
  • Rape culture
  • Single mothers
  • Sluts
  • Selling her looks
  • Sexual jokes
  • "Little girl"
  • “all women are crazy”
  • Not believing women
  • Only got ahead because she was a woman
  • Child support is meant to screw men over
  • Barefoot and pregnant
  • Belong in the home
  • traditional view of the woman
  • gender pay gaps
It is deeply ingrained in our culture to the point where people assume it is normal because it’s all they know.  It’s also systemic. Crash test dummies are tested for a man size body, not a woman. Alexa recognizes male voices better than female voices. Etc. 

If you’re a white man in America everything is designed to give you an advantage. 

I have actually learned something from all of this:  when men and women work the same jobs, their salaries are actually a lot closer than I thought:  women only earn about 5% less than men.  Now, that does not address the lack of opportunity that they face in fields like engineering. 

You say that they choose not go into engineering, I say "why is that the case?"  Let's put aside the jobs that require physical strength.  Why are there so few women in fields like engineering and software development?  Could it be that they don't choose them because they are not encouraged, or even discouraged to do so from a very young age?  Our country has a history of pigeon holing women into certain jobs, like "Hostess" or "Secretary" or "Telephone Operator".

And I bring up "Hostess" because I find it really interesting that you used that as your example.  Why?  I had to ask myself, at the risk of insulting all of long term hostesses out there, is "Hostess" really a career aspiration for little girls?  I can see "Welder" being such for little boys, but why "Hostess"?  Why not "Nurse"?  Or "School Teacher" which are other "careers" that are dominated by women.

Just food for thought.  I would say, "Nevermind, don't answer that.," but I don't assume that you won't give some thought to the question.  As I said in my first sentence, your reply did make me do some research.  I discovered that within the same field women and men are actually pretty damn close in what they earn.

But I also found that in the fields I mentioned above (engineering, software development etc.) that do not require physical strength, women are under-represented as a percentage of the work force.  I think that "they choose not to go into them" is a really, really lame answer, but if it is the answer, I ask "Why?  Since women can do these jobs just as well as men?"  It seems less than ideal to me even if I look at it from just an economics point of view.  Shouldn't we be making better use of the resources at our disposal?  why are we letting all of the capabilities that women have to offer go to waste?

I would love to hear what you think about all of this, Parasaurolophous (if that is your real name!)

Oh and Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays / Enjoy your day off ... whatever works for you and anybody else that has bothered to read all of this!
This was an interesting exchange between you two that brought up a lot of good questions.   

One of my questions is that while it's great that after digging it's less of a difference in pay than people might realize (after factoring for jobs, etc. ),  are we satisfied with even that 5% gap?   0 reason for that to be the case, and we are talking about a lot of money as we extend that over a lifetime of earning.  

I think the short answer for your other questions is that we still treat women "differently" from the start.   I've noticed this more with my 6 year old.   What type of toys are bought or marketed to them.    It's getting better, but I think a decent portion of it is that from the start we steer our kids into certain things.  Not sure how to break that overall, but it's just an observation that I've had.   

I've also been surprised as some of the comments even on these boards - ranging from sports, to too much "girl power" in movies and shows, the impulse we have when talking about a show or movie to have to include how hot an actress is, to a seeming dismissal of all women based on past experiences.  Now, like racism it's nowhere near as bad as it was decades ago, but I think we still have bit to go and it's still bubbling under the surface more than I had expected.  

Users who are viewing this thread