What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Mock Draft Version 3.0*** (1 Viewer)

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain
OK, a couple of notes before we begin :

1) I am not predicting trades. It’s too easy to predict a trade simply because a player you feel has value at a certain spot doesn’t fit a need for the team drafting there. Sure, there will be a couple of trades, but mis-predicting one throws your whole mock out of whack when comparing it to the actual draft, so I will simply note where a trade may take place rather than projecting them.

2) I am not going strictly with “the chalk” here, so I expect some question marks on certain picks. It should engender a lively discussion, which is my aim here.

Away we go…

#1 – Houston Texans – Reggie Bush, RB, USC.

This pick has been discussed ad nauseum, and I STILL hold the belief that Houston would do well to trade down, but Bush is too much to pass up here. He’s showing the strength that could make him effective between the tackles, and he obviously has the speed to be a home-run threat. As close to a can’t miss prospect as there is, he goes here.

#2 – New Orleans Saints – D’Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia.

I know the pundits are projecting Mario Williams here, but I can’t see it. As Aaron correctly pointed out in a thread yesterday, the Saints simply don’t need a DE like they do an OT. Both Williams and Ferguson are the bluest of blue chip prospects and I can’t believe they like Williams so much more that they’re willing to ignore a need at OT. A smoke screen for the Jets’ benefit? Possibly.

#3 – Tennessee Titans – Matt Leinart, QB, USC.

Before the Brees signing, I think Young was a lock here, but now I think Leinart is. The connection for Leinart to Chow is more important than that of Young to McNair for the long-term success of this team. Plus, Titans GM Floyd Reese was on Sirius the other day discussing the QBs and seemed pretty clear that Leinart was their #1 and Young #2. Young may have the upside, but Leinart is clearly the safer choice for a team that needs a turn-around.

#4 – New York Jets – Mario Williams, DE, N.C. State.

I know Williams would like fare better statistically in a 4-3 defense, but the guy is just too damned good to pass up here. As a Steelers fan, I have seen Aaron Smith put up some nice sack numbers in a 3-4 and Williams is an exponentially better talent. I can’t imagine the Jets won’t play some 4-3 also if Williams is the pick, in an attempt to free him up a bit to rush the passer. Bottom line is that Williams is a special talent who won’t make it past #4.

#5 – Green Bay Packers – Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon.

Every mock I’ve seen has Williams or Hawk here, but I like Ngata. I know the Pack needs linebackers badly, but this draft is very deep at linebacker, and a guy like Ngata, with 340-lb size and excellent quickness are very rare. With Kampman and Gbaja-Biamila entrenched at the end spots, this would give them a formidable line, and would benefit them the most right away. A very good LB is likely to be available early in round 2 – a guy like Ngata absolutely will not.

#6 – San Francisco 49ers – Michael Huff, CB/S, Texas

I know Frisco needs to get weapons for Alex Smith, but they also need him to not have to put up 40 points a game to win one. Bottom line, this team needs playmakers on both sides of the ball, and at virtually every position, and Huff fits the bill. His combination of size, speed, and instincts is unmatched in this draft, and he is (along with Hawk) the best football player on the board at this point. ***NOTE*** - Do not be surprised to see Detroit trade up to #6 or #7 to get a shot at Huff or Hawk if Ngata goes #5.

#7 – Oakland Raiders – A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio St.

I think Oakland was probably looking QB here, but the signing of Aaron Brooks, along with the availability of an impact defensive player make Hawk too much to pass up here. The guy has all the tools and has the attitude to fit right in with the Black & Silver mentality. This guy will be a hit with Raider Nation from Day 1.

#8 – Buffalo Bills – Winston Justice, OT, USC.

I have said all along that Justice has as much upside as Ferguson, and his Pro Day numbers did nothing to soften that stance. I think the guy is a possible franchise tackle, and despite the presence of the two QBs and Vernon Davis here, I can’t imagine the Bills passing on a guy who fits possibly their biggest need.

#9 – Detroit Lions – Ernie Sims, LB, Florida State.

I don’t think the Lions will end up drafting here. I think either they trade up a couple of spots, or trade down with a team like Minnesota, who may want a shot at Young or Cutler. If they pick here, though, they may not mind reaching on a guy like Sims, who was a marginal first-rounder just a month ago. The guy is a bit undersized, but WAY too much is made of that. If you can play, you can play – this guy hits like a sledgehammer, has a high football IQ, and has terrific speed. Again, this may be a bit high for him, so don’t be shocked if Detroit trades #9 to Minnesota for #17, a 2nd, and a 3rd or 4th and drafts Sims there.

#10 – Arizona Cardinals – Vince Young, QB, Texas.

Arizona must be salivating at the prospect of nabbing Vernon Davis here to go with Boldin, Fitzgerald, and Edgerrin James, but I have to think they’ll realize that a 35-year-old, brittle Kurt Warner running the show isn’t a long term answer. How can Green pass up a clone of his boy Culpepper at pick #10? The answer – he can’t. Young has too much upside to go any further than this, IMO.

#11 – St. Louis Rams – Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland.

All along, I’ve projected a DB here, and God knows, that’s their biggest need, but they can’t pass up a freak like Davis here with Huff off the board and no other sure thing in the DB available. Brandon Manumaleuna isn’t scaring anyone with the ball, and Davis is too tantalizing a combination of size and speed to overlook. There are quite a few DBs that will be available near the top of round 2.

#12 – Cleveland Browns – Broderick Bunkley, DT, Florida St.

This is a slam dunk, IMO. The Browns desperately need a space-eater that can get to the QB, and Bunkley has as good a set of measurables as you’re going to find. He may go even higher than this after his workouts showed remarkable athleticism for his size. Bottom line : Phil Savage and Cleveland are building a team to beat Pittsburgh, and without a solid D-line to try to get some control of the line of scrimmage, they will be perennial whipping boys. My condolences, Broderick, in advance, on your season-ending knee injury in week 2.

#13 – Baltimore Ravens – Jimmy Williams, CB/S, Virginia Tech

Baltimore has a glaring need at OT, but the value isn’t really here at this pick, and several very solid tackles are going to be around in rounds 2 and 3. The Ravens, with Sanders retired, and Carter a contemporary of Fred Flintstone, desperately need a S to play with Reed and depth at CB. Williams is the rare player who provides both in one pick. Add to this, the fact that his brash persona and never ending yapping fit perfectly with the Ravens annoying “thug” persona on defense, and this pick becomes a cinch. Enjoy getting squashed like a grape by Hines Ward, Jimmy. That’s particularly apropos, considering the fruity uniform colors in Baltimore.

#14 – Philadelphia Eagles – Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa.

I think the Eagles are dead set on Bunkley here, only to have their hearts broken by Cleveland. The only question here is, do they think Denver traded up because they covet Chad Jackson? If so, a swap of picks might make sense. In the end, though, I think they go LB – Dhani Jones didn’t exactly set the world on fire last year, and Shawn Barber and Keith Adams are not playmakers. Greenway’s stock was said to be falling, but the guy gets it done on the field, and that’s what counts in the end. The guy has good size, good speed, and excellent intangibles – he makes plays, and that’s what Philly needs.

#15 – Denver Broncos – Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt.

Let the expletives fly, Shark Pool. OK, here’s the logic here. The Broncos moved up in this draft, one must think they’re targeting a certain player or position. Is it Chad Jackson? Very possible. However, look at whom they moved ahead of. Miami definitely needs a receiver, but they also were looking for a QB at the time the Broncos draft trade was made. Minnesota desperately needs a developmental QB. Philadelphia, at #14, needs a WR, but no QB. Was Denver simply trying to get up high enough to make sure they got either Jackson or Holmes? Maybe. However, Jake Plummer, for all the success he had last year, is making a ton of money, is going to be 32 this season, and absolutely fell apart against Pittsburgh in the playoffs. Is it possible that Shanahan loves Cutler and wants to groom him as the QB of the future? I don’t know that it’s any less likely than trading up for a shot at two guys who most scouts are unconvinced can ever be legit #1s in the NFL in Jackson and Holmes.

#16 – Miami Dolphins – Donte Whitner, S, Ohio St.

Another off-beat pick, as many expect the Fins to go wideout here. However, they are a team on the cusp of contending NOW, and the key is upgrading the secondary. They could use a CB and a S, but after signing Will Allen, S is the position most in need of an upgrade. Whitner has 4.4 speed and the versatility to play CB or S. In addition, he’s a VERY sure tackler, which Miami needs badly in their back 4. He just makes a ton of sense to me here.

#17 – Minnesota Vikings– Manny Lawson, LB, N.C. State

This is a pick I haven’t seen projected, as Lawson appears to be a prototypical 3-4 rush OLB. However, what is needed to play in the Cover 2 scheme Childress brings with him is speed. Lawson is the fastest of this crop, running a 4.43, and with his size (6’ 5”) – he could be a terrific Derrick-Brooks like playmaker in this defense. I still believe Minnesota may very well trade up to #9 for Young or Cutler, but if they stay here, I think they need the best playmaker they can find at OLB, and that’s Lawson here.

#18 – Dallas Cowboys– Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio St.

I think Dallas may have been drooling over the prospect of Lawson and Ware on the edges rushing the QB, but Carpenter is not a bad consolation prize. He’s custom made to rush the QB in a 3-4, and fits Dallas’ scheme to perfection. Plus, he’s a Parcells kind of guy – high motor, heady, aggressive. In other words, a very nice fit here.

#19 – San Diego Chargers– Chad Jackson, WR, Florida

I can’t see Jackson falling any farther after running a 4.32 at the combine, in fact, it’s very easy to see him going anywhere from #14 to here. Every one of the teams picking in this range needs a WR, but despite Jackson’s ideal measurables, he doesn’t have the productivity to convince anyone he’s a sure-fire #1, which is what you look for if drafting a WR this early. The Chargers have needs at tackle, and in the secondary, but their entire receiving corps is either aging or unproven, and getting a guy like Chad to go along with Vincent from last year’s draft provides a nice group for Rivers to throw to. A lot of different ways they could go with this pick, but Jackson’s talent will likely prevail.

#20 – Kansas City Chiefs – Tye Hill, CB, Clemson

Kansas City needs help up front and in the secondary, and Hill provides the most tantalizing upside here. His 4.29 40 at the combine bolstered his stock, and despite the lack of ideal size, he is being looked at as a high-potential talent. A 2-sport star in college, this will be the first time he has concentrated on football year-round. He could go as high as #11 to St. Louis, so I think Kansas City will grab him here before New England can.

#21 – New England Patriots – Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio St.

New England has some needs – OLB, RB, WR, but their biggest immediate problem is the secondary. Chad Scott and Hank Poteat are Steeler cast-offs, Law doesn’t appear to be returning, and Samuel may have maxed out his potential. They need a rock back there at CB, and Youboty seems to be a Belichick kind of guy. He has great potential, and you simply cannot ignore the pedigree – Ohio State corners have a recent track record of success – and is a guy who has pure #1 CB upside with the right coaching. Well, who better to provide it?

#22 – Denver Broncos – Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State

I know, Santonio Holmes would have made a lot of sense here, but I think the need for a WR is a little overblown here. Rod Smith seems ageless, they still have the underachieving but dangerous Lelie, and Darius Watts has shown some potential. However, their D-line is simply not very good. Courtney Brown is a bust, they lost Trevor Pryce, and they need a guy who can pressure the QB. Hali is a guy who was a possible top 10-15 pick until workouts caused his stock to slip a bit, but he’s proven he can get to the QB, and would represent good value here. He has the frame to bulk up from his playing weight of 270 and could be a solid bookend DE in Denver.

#23 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio St.

You Tampa homers have basically forced me into this pick with the constant Sinorice Moss talk. I think Tampa’s biggest need is at OT, but they have not shown a propensity to go this direction, and despite Galloway’s recent resurgence, Clayton regressed horribly last year, and Holmes is the type of guy who can get separation at the NFL level. The youth movement continues at the offensive skill positions (Galloway notwithstanding)

#24 – Cincinnati Bengals – Jason Allen, S, Tennessee

Allen is a late-rising prospect who would fit beautifully alongside rising star Madieu Williams. Allen has good speed, very fluid hips, and great instincts and would be a huge upgrade from Kaevisharn (or however you spell that putz's name) I hope the guy chokes on a veal parmigiana hero if he’s drafted here.

#25 – New York Giants – DeMeco Ryans, LB, Alabama

This one is a clear need pick. The Giants LBs are the weakness of that team, and Ryans is a guy who would fit beautifully in their 4-3 scheme. His lack of size would seem to preclude him from being a 3-4 OLB, but his speed, playmaking ability, and brains would make him an excellent fit in New York, who are inching closer and closer to the NFC penthouse.

#26 – Chicago Bears – Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia

The Bears could clearly use secondary help as well, but let’s face it, their defense is great, their offense is putrid. They need more weapons in the passing game, and Pope, at 6’ 7” 260 with 4.6 speed, qualifies. He’s the type of safety-valve option that a guy like Rex Grossman could desperately use when his receivers are covered, and would make an immediate impact for Chicago.

#27 – Carolina Panthers– LenDale White, RB, USC

I bet you were wondering when another RB was going to come off the board. Well, here, the run begins. White’s stock has slipped, but he still has a chance to repair the damage prior to the draft. The bottom line is that he’s a perfect fit in Carolina’s one-cut running scheme. The Steelers would probably love to get a crack at him, but Carolina snaps him up here, as their RB situation has been plagued by injuries and retirement.

#28 – Jacksonville Jaguars – DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis

The Jaguars would have to be having a circle jerk in their war room if Williams fell this far. He has star potential at the RB slot, but the reality is that not many teams have the need and desire to spend a top pick on an RB up to this point. Williams instantly becomes the heir apparent to Fred Taylor, which means there’s a 84% chance he’s the lead back by week 4.

#29 – New York Jets – Marcus McNeill, OT, Auburn

The Jets get the possible franchise OT they thought they’d be drafting at #4 to go along with Mario Williams in a dream first-round. McNeill is the road-grader type that will thrive in Mangini’s man-blocking scheme and with his rare size and agility, would be a top-20 pick in most drafts not as deep at the OT position. Can the Jet fans possibly boo this first round? Well……

#30 – Indianapolis Colts – Lawrence Maroney, RB, Minnesota

Makes WAY too much sense not to project. With James gone, the Colts have to have a contingency plan in place – this is a team built to win it all right now. I can’t imagine the backs they have on the roster are seen as replacements for James, but Maroney could be. He has great speed and the ability to run between the tackles, and could be an impact guy in year 1 in Indy.

#31 – Seattle Seahawks – Mathias Kiwanuka, DE/LB, Boston College

Seattle could very easily go guard here, as none are off the board and the Hutchinson defection has left a need, but Kiwanuka would seem to be a great fit in Seattle and provides amazing value at this spot. The guy has top-10 ability, and I think he finds a home at OLB in the Seattle scheme. The Hawks have been good at converting defensive players to new positions, and Kiwanuka will be no exception. He will give them a whole new dimension in the pass rush.

#32 – Pittsburgh Steelers – Rodrique Wright, DE, Texas

Another team that could definitely go guard, I think the Steelers will recognize the relative depth at that position compared to guys who can effectively play end in a 3-4. They currently have Smith-Hampton-Keisel up front with Chris Hoke backing up the nose and unproven Travis Kirschke and Shaun Nua backing up the ends. The key to an effective 3-4 defense is the line, and Wright is one of the few guys in this draft who, at 6’ 5” and 305 lbs, fits the prototype 3-4 DE profile. The knock on Wright is that he isn’t a hard worker, which will change in a hurry in Pittsburgh. He has fantastic potential and could be too tantalizing to pass up here. I wouldn’t be remotely surprised if Max-Jean Gilles or Charles Spencer goes here though, the Steelers LOVE the grab offensive linemen early, and those two road-graders would fit perfectly in their scheme.

Well, there you go. Have at it........

Last edited by a moderator:
The Broncos moved up in this draft, one must think they’re targeting a certain player or position.
Great job EG, but Ive got to ask, because I dont understand this logic.You're telling me that the Broncos have to be targeting a certain player to move from 29 to 15 for only a 3rd this year and a 4th next year?Thats the cheapest move up from that position Ive ever seen, and any team, targeting a player or not, would take that deal given the opportunity.They cant reasonably believe Cutler, a probable top 8 pick, will slide all the way to 15.

Wow, you really have some talented RBs falling. That and you have some awful talented OTs not making the 1st round, unless I missed them?

The Broncos moved up in this draft, one must think they’re targeting a certain player or position.
Great job EG, but Ive got to ask, because I dont understand this logic.You're telling me that the Broncos have to be targeting a certain player to move from 29 to 15 for only a 3rd this year and a 4th next year?

Thats the cheapest move up from that position Ive ever seen, and any team, targeting a player or not, would take that deal given the opportunity.

They cant reasonably believe Cutler, a probable top 8 pick, will slide all the way to 15.
I just thought that in order to be in the conversation in the first place, that there must be some impetus to make that move. Yes, it's a good move-up, but not as cheap as it might seem. The Steelers moved up from 27 to 16 for only a single 3rd round pick to get Polamalu, but teams don't give up draft picks just to move, IMO. I think they either are looking to grab Cutler, thinking he'll fall to #17 (he might) or they want to get a look at either Jackson or Holmes before the teams needing a receiver all start drafting.

Wow, you really have some talented RBs falling. That and you have some awful talented OTs not making the 1st round, unless I missed them?
I think there will be a run on OTs early in the second round, where guys like Scott, Whitworth, Winston, etc.. will start to get long looks. I think there's going to be a free-fall on RBs, similar to the Aaron Rodgers situation last year. The need just isn't there, running back has become a very deep position, and Bush is the only "5-star" prospect in this class, IMO.

I know San Francisco needs to get weapons for Alex Smith, but they also need him to not have to put up 40 points a game to win one. Bottom line, this team needs playmakers on both sides of the ball, and at virtually every position, and Huff fits the bill. His combination of size, speed, and instincts is unmatched in this draft, and he is (along with Hawk) the best football player on the board at this point. ***NOTE*** - Do not be surprised to see Detroit trade up to #6 or #7 to get a shot at Huff or Hawk if Ngata goes #5.

Well, there you go. Have at it........
I disagree with this pick as much as I disagreed with your earlier choice of Ngata to SF.IMO, there is no way SF takes Huff over Hawk or VD.

a) there is a huge drop between the talent levels of Hawk/VD and the guys in the 2nd round, conversely, you can still get a starting FS in round 2 or 3 that is close in caliber to Huff. I don't think a FS is a top 6 pick.

b) Hawk and VD fill positions of need greater than Huff.

c) Hawk and VD are better football players, IMO, than Huff.

Overall, another good read and job. :thumbup:

Good job.

If the Lions trade up and land Hawk, I will wet myself.
I like the Lions to either trade up 2-3 spots or trade down to #17. They're not in a great spot at #9 unless things break just right for them. Huff, Hawk, or Justice would be huge for them, and I think they go 6-7-8.

I know San Francisco needs to get weapons for Alex Smith, but they also need him to not have to put up 40 points a game to win one.  Bottom line, this team needs playmakers on both sides of the ball, and at virtually every position, and Huff fits the bill.  His combination of size, speed, and instincts is unmatched in this draft, and he is (along with Hawk) the best football player on the board at this point.  ***NOTE*** - Do not be surprised to see Detroit trade up to #6 or #7 to get a shot at Huff or Hawk if Ngata goes #5.

Well, there you go.  Have at it........
I disagree with this pick as much as I disagreed with your earlier choice of Ngata to SF.IMO, there is no way SF takes Huff over Hawk or VD.

a) there is a huge drop between the talent levels of Hawk/VD and the guys in the 2nd round, conversely, you can still get a starting FS in round 2 or 3 that is close in caliber to Huff. I don't think a FS is a top 6 pick.

b) Hawk and VD fill positions of need greater than Huff.

c) Hawk and VD are better football players, IMO, than Huff.

Overall, another good read and job. :thumbup:
Point c) is where we disagree. I am very high on Huff and don't think he gets by #7. If the Niners take Hawk, I think Huff will go next - he's a unique talent in the secondary with tremendous versatility. I think he could be an Ed Reed-like impact guy, and that would inch him just past Hawk in my eyes.

#24 – Cincinnati Bengals – Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan

The Bengals need a big body inside to help stop the running game of the mighty Steelers, same as Cleveland. Watson is a 340-pounder who has shown flashes of brilliance, but also has a tendency to take plays off now and again. Marvin Lewis will need to coach that out of him, but he is clearly the best available DT here.
After signing Sam Adams, I am starting to think that TE might be the call here, especially if Pope is still on the board. I am not a big fan of drafting a TE here, but it is sure starting to look that way. I personally would prefer a CB/S.
Plus, seeing him in the Bengals uniform will draw comparisons to a tiger that just swallowed an antelope whole. I hope the guy chokes on a sausage parmigiana hero if he’s drafted here.
That is just not a very nice thing to say. ;) And you wonder why Steeler fans get a bad rap. :boxing:

Great job EG, but Ive got to ask, because I dont understand this logic.You're telling me that the Broncos have to be targeting a certain player to move from 29 to 15 for only a 3rd this year and a 4th next year?

Thats the cheapest move up from that position Ive ever seen, and any team, targeting a player or not, would take that deal given the opportunity.

They cant reasonably believe Cutler, a probable top 8 pick, will slide all the way to 15.
Agreed.I think it's more of a case where the Broncos have a a tier on their draft board that ends at player 16 or 17.

The opportunity to get a draft pick in that tier on the cheap made it easy to make the move.

They don't know who is going to be there. They just know they have 1t least 15 guys they'd be happy to have there. Odds are, they'll have a choice given the ususal reaches that can happen ahead of them.

#12 – Cleveland Browns – Broderick Bunkley, DT, Florida St.

This is a slam dunk, IMO. The Browns desperately need a space-eater that can get to the QB, and Bunkley has as good a set of measurables as you’re going to find. He may go even higher than this after his workouts showed remarkable athleticism for his size. Bottom line : Phil Savage and Cleveland are building a team to beat Pittsburgh, and without a solid D-line to try to get some control of the line of scrimmage, they will be perennial whipping boys. My condolences, Broderick, in advance, on your season-ending knee injury in week 2.
As a Browns fan i like this pick, and mad props on the humor here :thumbup:

The Good

Ngata to Green Bay. KGB is overrated, but is still serviceable.

Sims to Detroit

Manny Lawson to Minnesota. It would be a good pick. I still think they'd take DeAngelo, but this would be okay too.

Whitner to Miami

Ryans to the Giants

The Bad

I would be shocked if the 49ers didn't take Davis if he's available. #6 overall is just too high to take a safety. Especially when they have a shot at someone like Jason Allen, Darnell Bing, Ko Simpson, etc. in the 2nd.

The Vikings will not trade extra picks to the in-division rival Lions.

Denny Green believes he can take any QB and make him succeed. He wants to win now and Young doesn't fit that equation. The Cardinals were the league's WORST team in the red zone last year. They also had the 28th rated running defense. This adds up to Vernon Davis or Bunkely, IMO.

The Bengals will not take a DT in the 1st now that they signed Sam Adams.

I don't like the Denver picks.

After signing Sam Adams, I am starting to think that TE might be the call here, especially if Pope is still on the board. I am not a big fan of drafting a TE here, but it is sure starting to look that way. I personally would prefer a CB/S.
I think you'd like Jason Allen in a Bengals uniform.

#24 – Cincinnati Bengals – Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan

The Bengals need a big body inside to help stop the running game of the mighty Steelers, same as Cleveland.  Watson is a 340-pounder who has shown flashes of brilliance, but also has a tendency to take plays off now and again.  Marvin Lewis will need to coach that out of him, but he is clearly the best available DT here. 
Plus, seeing him in the Bengals uniform will draw comparisons to a tiger that just swallowed an antelope whole.  I hope the guy chokes on a sausage parmigiana hero if he’s drafted here.
That is just not a very nice thing to say. ;) And you wonder why Steeler fans get a bad rap. :boxing:
You know, I forgot about the Adams signing - that might change things. Maybe I'll do a final one right before the draft with just a few changes. Pope could be the pick there. :lmao: - I always throw a jab in at all the division rivals in these mocks, it's a trademark.

pretty good. certainly diferent than what others have projected, which is cool. A few thoughts..

Like others, i see no way the 9ers pass on hawk for huff. Both are great talents, but i think hawk is more special.

if deangleo williams falls that far, id love to see the jets make a play to move up a few spots from 29 and secure him. The guy is way too talented to fall that far. that being said, Id still love mcneil or mangold at that spot. Hard to believe how far a guy like eric winston has fallen.

After signing Sam Adams, I am starting to think that TE might be the call here, especially if Pope is still on the board.  I am not a big fan of drafting a TE here, but it is sure starting to look that way.  I personally would prefer a CB/S.
In a heartbeat! There was some crazy rumor about Williams slipping this far, but I don't see that happening. Jason Allen is the pick if he is still around.

The Good

Ngata to Green Bay. KGB is overrated, but is still serviceable.

Sims to Detroit

Manny Lawson to Minnesota. It would be a good pick. I still think they'd take DeAngelo, but this would be okay too.

Whitner to Miami

Ryans to the Giants

The Bad

I would be shocked if the 49ers didn't take Davis if he's available. #6 overall is just too high to take a safety. Especially when they have a shot at someone like Jason Allen, Darnell Bing, Ko Simpson, etc. in the 2nd.

The Vikings will not trade extra picks to the in-division rival Lions.

Denny Green believes he can take any QB and make him succeed. He wants to win now and Young doesn't fit that equation. The Cardinals were the league's WORST team in the red zone last year. They also had the 28th rated running defense. This adds up to Vernon Davis or Bunkely, IMO.

The Bengals will not take a DT in the 1st now that they signed Sam Adams.

I don't like the Denver picks.
I think a lot of teams are looking at Huff as a CB. At 6' and 4.34, there's no reason he can't play the corner - the high projection on him is based on that versatility. I thought about the Vikes/Lions division rivals thing, but I can't see that being the sticking point if Minnesota has a shot at a QB they covet. Maybe it is, though, who knows? Vernon Davis to Arizona was very close to the pick, but I couldn't help but think that the brass there might want a marquee guy to go with Edge forward. Kurt Warner is not that guy, and Young's upside might be too much to pass up at #10.I knew the Denver picks would bring heat, but there are surprises every year, so I thought I would project some. Thanks for the comments !

After signing Sam Adams, I am starting to think that TE might be the call here, especially if Pope is still on the board.  I am not a big fan of drafting a TE here, but it is sure starting to look that way.  I personally would prefer a CB/S.
:yes:

I knew the Denver picks would bring heat, but there are surprises every year, so I thought I would project some. Thanks for the comments !
I'm putting one together that you'll be able to pick apart in the next day or so. ;)

I knew the Denver picks would bring heat, but there are surprises every year, so I thought I would project some.  Thanks for the comments !
I'm putting one together that you'll be able to pick apart in the next day or so. ;)
Excellent. I respect your draft acumen very much, man - I'll be looking forward to it.

Well done, as usual. It is very possible for Cutler to have a considerable slide. This almost looks like you needed a home for him. I've done a couple quicky mocks during free agency and I run into the same thing. Miami looked like such a no-brainer.

If Rodgers fell from #1 overall to 24 in reality. Cutler could slip from top 10 to early 2nd round.

Ngata moving up is interesting. I've had him to the Raiders, never higher. I like it.

I think the Niners may be eyeballing Justice. They're shopping Kwame.

The Raiders may be a player for him too.

Surprised you took RWright for your Stillers? You like him better than the other available DTs? I think Pittsburgh's personnel department is the best in the league. I sure won't criticize any choice they make, but this would surprise me.

Well done, as usual. It is very possible for Cutler to have a considerable slide. This almost looks like you needed a home for him. I've done a couple quicky mocks during free agency and I run into the same thing. Miami looked like such a no-brainer.

If Rodgers fell from #1 overall to 24 in reality. Cutler could slip from top 10 to early 2nd round.

Ngata moving up is interesting. I've had him to the Raiders, never higher. I like it.

I think the Niners may be eyeballing Justice. They're shopping Kwame.

The Raiders may be a player for him too.

Surprised you took RWright for your Stillers? You like him better than the other available DTs? I think Pittsburgh's personnel department is the best in the league. I sure won't criticize any choice they make, but this would surprise me.
Cutler was going to Minnesota at #17 if I took Chad Jackson at #15 (that could VERY easily happen, IMO), but it was too easy. I wanted to shake things up a bit by throwing a Shanhan-caused monkey wrench into the works. Something smells fishy to me about that move to #15 and I wouldn't be as shocked as many others if Cutler was the pick there. Justice to the Niners I would have raised an eyebrow at last week, now - no way. Could VERY well happen.Wright, I don't even know if he's on the radar. I just looked at the positions of need for Pittsburgh : DE, OG, S, WR and looked at the depth at each position. They like tall, 300-lbish DEs that have good feet, can get to the QB, but can hold their own against bigger T in run defense. There aren't many guys like that in this draft, and Wright is one of them. That and his upside led me to project that, but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see OL depth, or a secondary guy go here. I think they wait until round 2-3 for a WR, but that's a hunch. they could use a return guy with El gone too, so a Sinorice Moss wouldn't kill me at #32.

I really hope Davis or Young gets drafted before the Lions #9 pick because your mock looks like a Worst case for my Lions IMO. Sims is a bit of a reach for the Lions whose LB are actually pretty good. I really hope that Justice or Huff falls to them as I think those guys are really Blue Chip #1st round picks while Sims seems like just another "average" 1st Round LB.

For Justice or Huff to fall, that means Davis or Young would have to get drafted by probably the 9ers or Oakland respectively. If GB takes Hawk over Ngata I can see Oakland grabbing Young and Buffalo taking Ngata over Justice. Or if the 9ers take Davis, Huff could fall.

With your mock I'd probably be happier with Jimmy Williams CB drafted over Sims. We are pretty thin at CB right now and Bly always misses a few games.

Also, I like Hali to Denver. Shanahan is clueless when it comes to DLs. :D
:lmao: I thought Hali was overrated coming into the draft, now I think he might be underrated a little. Bottom half of round 1 seems like a spot for him, the Broncos could really use a DE.

Also, I like Hali to Denver.  Shanahan is clueless when it comes to DLs.  :D
:lmao: I thought Hali was overrated coming into the draft, now I think he might be underrated a little. Bottom half of round 1 seems like a spot for him, the Broncos could really use a DE.
No one needs a DE who runs a 4.8 and cant lift the bar 20 times.

Cutler was going to Minnesota at #17 if I took Chad Jackson at #15 (that could VERY easily happen, IMO), but it was too easy. I wanted to shake things up a bit by throwing a Shanhan-caused monkey wrench into the works. Something smells fishy to me about that move to #15 and I wouldn't be as shocked as many others if Cutler was the pick there. Justice to the Niners I would have raised an eyebrow at last week, now - no way. Could VERY well happen.
I think Denver went to #15 in hopes of getting one of the RBs. Anderson was let go and Bell just hasn't proven that he's the stud everyone hoped for.Best case for Shanahan is having his pick of Lendale White, DeAngelo Williams, and Laurence Maroney to choose from. I think he'd take Williams in a heartbeat as he'd be afraid of Maureen Clairette part deux.

Also, I like Hali to Denver.  Shanahan is clueless when it comes to DLs.   :D
No one needs a DE who runs a 4.8 and cant lift the bar 20 times.
:lmao: I hear that, but I put a lot less stock in workouts than others. Show me what you do on the field - I don't care how many times you can bench press 225 lbs. There's no reason Hali can't add 10 pounds of muscle during off-season workouts.

I really hope Davis or Young gets drafted before the Lions #9 pick because your mock looks like a Worst case for my Lions IMO. Sims is a bit of a reach for the Lions whose LB are actually pretty good. I really hope that Justice or Huff falls to them as I think those guys are really Blue Chip #1st round picks while Sims seems like just another "average" 1st Round LB.

For Justice or Huff to fall, that means Davis or Young would have to get drafted by probably the 9ers or Oakland respectively. If GB takes Hawk over Ngata I can see Oakland grabbing Young and Buffalo taking Ngata over Justice. Or if the 9ers take Davis, Huff could fall.

With your mock I'd probably be happier with Jimmy Williams CB drafted over Sims. We are pretty thin at CB right now and Bly always misses a few games.
It IS a worst-case for the Lions, but I see 8 guys who I can't picture dropping beyond #8, and the Lions pick #9, unfortunately.

Cutler was going to Minnesota at #17 if I took Chad Jackson at #15 (that could VERY easily happen, IMO), but it was too easy.  I wanted to shake things up a bit by throwing a Shanhan-caused monkey wrench into the works.  Something smells fishy to me about that move to #15 and I wouldn't be as shocked as many others if Cutler was the pick there.  Justice to the Niners I would have raised an eyebrow at last week, now - no way.  Could VERY well happen.
I think Denver went to #15 in hopes of getting one of the RBs. Anderson was let go and Bell just hasn't proven that he's the stud everyone hoped for.Best case for Shanahan is having his pick of Lendale White, DeAngelo Williams, and Laurence Maroney to choose from. I think he'd take Williams in a heartbeat as he'd be afraid of Maureen Clairette part deux.
Maybe, but as is well-documented, they typically do not take RBs in round 1. Is that about to change? Who knows. :shrug:

EG, Good effort. I think the Demeco Ryans to Giants pick makes a lot of sense. However one thing confuses me. In your writeup you mention Ryans excellent speed. I was under the impression one of the knocks on Ryans was the possible lack of speed. He has a reputation for having an excellent football IQ (think Tatupu) and he's played against top flight competition. He appears faster during the games but IIRC his combine 40 was only average.

EG, Good effort. I think the Demeco Ryans to Giants pick makes a lot of sense. However one thing confuses me. In your writeup you mention Ryans excellent speed. I was under the impression one of the knocks on Ryans was the possible lack of speed. He has a reputation for having an excellent football IQ (think Tatupu) and he's played against top flight competition. He appears faster during the games but IIRC his combine 40 was only average.
Way too much is made of times speed, IMO. Ryans plays a lot faster than he times - and he still ran faster then Carpenter or Greenway among top OLB prospects and faster than all of the top 5 ILB guys. The only ones who are significantly faster than Ryans are Lawson, Howard, Hawk, and Sims.

I think you nailed it. His track speed isn't great but his football speed is excellent.

It IS a worst-case for the Lions, but I see 8 guys who I can't picture dropping beyond #8, and the Lions pick #9, unfortunately.
I definately agree with your top 8. I just hope one of 'em falls to the Lions. If not I like Jimmy Williams. We could still get an OT in the 2nd round so CB and OT would be address two big needs on the team. But I wonder if the Lions could really pass up Vince Young. Even though we've got 4 Qbs on our roster right now I can see them taking him just for the hype. QBs sell more Jerseys so it might be a good move financially, but it's probably not the best football move. Of course, if we passed on him he would be a perennial probowler just like the rest of the guys the Lions pass on.

I definately agree with your top 8. I just hope one of 'em falls to the Lions. If not I like Jimmy Williams. We could still get an OT in the 2nd round so CB and OT would be address two big needs on the team. But I wonder if the Lions could really pass up Vince Young. Even though we've got 4 Qbs on our roster right now I can see them taking him just for the hype. QBs sell more Jerseys so it might be a good move financially, but it's probably not the best football move. Of course, if we passed on him he would be a perennial probowler just like the rest of the guys the Lions pass on.
I would probably have projected Young or Cutler to Detroit before the McCown signing, but I have to think they're going to give him every chance to be the guy going forward, even if Kitna plays this year. He's young and physically gifted.

I would probably have projected Young or Cutler to Detroit before the McCown signing, but I have to think they're going to give him every chance to be the guy going forward, even if Kitna plays this year. He's young and physically gifted.
I agree with this. For some bizzare reason they seem to think that McCown can be their starting QB for the long term.It will be interesting to see how the Lions' and the Bills' (with Craig Nall) situations pan out.

I'm going to go change this now - it's an eyesore in light of that signing. I now have to hope for Allen to choke on a sandwich.

As always, a great read and well thought out grin...

my thoughts:

I just dont see GB passing on Hawk to take Ngata. They actually have a couple of nice DTs (Jenkins, Wiliams) and they just signed Pickett. Hawk is a slam dunk pick for them unless Super Mario is still there.

Also echoing what others have said, I don't see Huff going that high. I disagree with you about his potential at CB. His strength is not really change of direction. I think he'd be wasted at CB. I do think he's a perfect fit for the Lions or Rams.

While I love Sims, and think he's a perfect fit for Marinelli's D, i dont see him going top 10.

I see SD going OT or CB, so we'll just have to agree to disagree there.

Im starting to toy with the idea of D'Qwell Jackson for the Steelers. Wimbley also might make sense despite our depth at OLB if we go BPA. I dont think it'll be Wright. The last time the steelers were in this kind of spot (no glaring need and easy fit at the end of the first), they went for Oline depth (Simmons), so Mangold/MJG/Joseph/Spencer could very well be the pick.

EG, Good effort.  I think the Demeco Ryans to Giants pick makes a lot of sense.  However one thing confuses me.  In your writeup you mention Ryans excellent speed.  I was under the impression one of the knocks on Ryans was the possible lack of speed.  He has a reputation for having an excellent football IQ (think Tatupu) and he's played against top flight competition.  He appears faster during the games but IIRC his combine 40 was only average.
Way too much is made of times speed, IMO. Ryans plays a lot faster than he times - and he still ran faster then Carpenter or Greenway among top OLB prospects and faster than all of the top 5 ILB guys. The only ones who are significantly faster than Ryans are Lawson, Howard, Hawk, and Sims.
Carpenter is still recovering from a bad leg injury, so I would give him a pass on his somewhat slow time.edit to add: and ILBs arent really supposed to be that fast.

Carpenter and Dallas is a good fit. I'll also add that Parcells coached Carpenter's dad way back when.

Wimbley would also not surprise me in Dallas. Actually, thats a name that I keep hearing more and more linked to the Boys.

Lawson as a 4-3 LB? That would be a big position switch. He's been a 4-3 DE. Not to say that Minny would'nt take him just for his athleticism. But thats a fairly big transition. Moreso than to a 3-4 OLB.

Overall, loved the mock. Always fun to read your stuff, EG.

Im starting to toy with the idea of D'Qwell Jackson for the Steelers. Wimbley also might make sense despite our depth at OLB if we go BPA. I dont think it'll be Wright. The last time the steelers were in this kind of spot (no glaring need and easy fit at the end of the first), they went for Oline depth (Simmons), so Mangold/MJG/Joseph/Spencer could very well be the pick.
Aren't the Steelers in need of a safety now that Hope is gone?

I think a lot of teams are looking at Huff as a CB. At 6' and 4.34, there's no reason he can't play the corner - the high projection on him is based on that versatility.
echoing my comments above:I don't disagree that teams might be looking at Huff as a corner, but they would be misguided to spend a top 10-15 pick on him to play corner. I think his greatest strength is being able to cover a huge area and freelance. Man coverage is a not a huge strength, and he's just not a shutdown cover kind of player. He's a "I can make plays anywhere on the field" kind of guy. Ed Reed is absolutely who he reminds me of. Imagine what a waste it would be if Reed was at corner.

As always, a great read and well thought out grin...

my thoughts:

I just dont see GB passing on Hawk to take Ngata. They actually have a couple of nice DTs (Jenkins, Wiliams) and they just signed Pickett. Hawk is a slam dunk pick for them unless Super Mario is still there.

Also echoing what others have said, I don't see Huff going that high. I disagree with you about his potential at CB. His strength is not really change of direction. I think he'd be wasted at CB. I do think he's a perfect fit for the Lions or Rams.

While I love Sims, and think he's a perfect fit for Marinelli's D, i dont see him going top 10.

I see SD going OT or CB, so we'll just have to agree to disagree there.

Thanks for the comments, man. I am higher on Huff's playmaking ability than most. I think he could be as good as Ed Reed - he's a ballhawk. If Reed were in this draft, knowing what we know now, would he go top 6, despite his position? I think so, and that is my rationale there.I also think Sims is a reach at #9, I think they trade down and take him, or Sims goes to Minnesota at #17 if he's still there.

SD could easily go OT or CB - in fact, I think they should. They may just be seduced by Jackson's upside - I had to find a home for CJ.

I would bet $$ that OL depth is the first-round pick for the Steelers. Wright is just something to think about...

Aren't the Steelers in need of a safety now that Hope is gone?
Yeah, Ryan Clark is a stopgap (but a nice bargain in free agency for sure, and Hope was WAAAAAY overpaid by Tennessee). They need a "centerfield" type of safety to cover for Troy's freelancing, and the ones worth a first (huff, allen) are likely long gone by 32. Of course, I could be completely wrong as they have worked out Alston, Bullocks, and Bing, none of which are pure free safety types. If Jason Allen falls, beautiful, otherwise, I would wait until the 2nd to take a guy like Pat Watkins.

Users who are viewing this thread