What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Morgan Burnett (1 Viewer)

He's expected to play, but im more worried about injury flaring up in the game and having to come out.

I'm going with another option this week to be safe.

He's expected to play, but im more worried about injury flaring up in the game and having to come out.

I'm going with another option this week to be safe.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I would wait, since Burnett is a late game, but my other two DBs are both early so I need to decide now. I have Chung just in case, and with it being a hamstring injury, I'm with you, Rhino. It could act up. I'm gonna start Chung.

What's the deal with Morgan Burnett?

Will he play the full game or will he only play half of the snaps?

Any Green Bay insiders here?

He is practicing and on track to play. He cut off his dreads. They gave him two extra weeks after he could have come back. He's safe to start.

His dreads are gone! No more hair hanging out of the helmet = less wind resistance = more speed to the ball!

discountdoublecheck said:
He is practicing and on track to play. He cut off his dreads. They gave him two extra weeks after he could have come back. He's safe to start.
Going off this info and the link above - I'm dropping his replacement and starting him. I hope you guys are right and he plays full time.

Any reason he isnt in Norton's DB rankings this week?
I noticed this too. It seems Norton keeps them out until he's 100% sure they are ready to go. I hope that's the case here.

Does anyone have info if Burnett is practicing this week? I got burned a couple of weeks ago and played him when he was inactive.

Yep he says he's ready to go.

Morgan Burnett on playing Sunday: 'I'm ready to go. That's my plan'

By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel
Updated: 4:34 p.m.
Green Bay --- Safety Morgan Burnett (calf) expects to play Sunday against the Chicago Bears, and that's good news for a Green Bay Packers secondary that struggled mightily without him at New Orleans.

“I’m ready to go," Burnett said. "That’s my plan. I’m out there practicing so I’m ready to roll.”

This has always been a different, more exposed Packers secondary without Burnett. In a 44-23 Saints win before the bye week, quarterback Drew Brees completed 84% of his passes for 311 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions with both Burnett and cornerback Sam Shields sidelined. On Wednesday, both players practiced in full.

And while rookie Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has mostly lived up to expectations as a first-round pick so far, he clearly missed Burnett's veteran presence on the back end.

Through seven games, the fifth-year pro out of Georgia Tech was playing his best football according to coach Mike McCarthy with 59 tackles (49 solo) and, all in all, eliminating the big play on the back end. Botched coverages had been almost non-existent. Before New Orleans, the Packers had allowed only one pass play of 40 yards. Then Brees burnt Green Bay deep for gains of 50 and 45 that led to touchdowns.

Now, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery and Martellus Bennett pose a triple threat at Lambeau Field Sunday night. The Packers will certainly welcome the return of both Burnett and Shields.

"You talk about communication, you talk about who’s in command of the operation in the back end, I mean, Burnett was missed in New Orleans," McCarthy said, "and just to see him out there today, it’s different. It’s different when you have your top safety back there making your checks and communicating. Sam looks good. We have a lot of depth there. I think it’s been good that we’ve been playing everybody, I think it’s just going to make us a better defense."

Communication was an issue without Burnett, as players pointed out after the loss.

“That’s just part of it," Burnett added. "We learn from it and we grow. We’re in this together. We put that behind us. We already watched the film, broke it down, so we know what we have to do so now it’s time to move on to another tough opponent and try to find a way to get a win at home.”

Wednesday went "smooth", Burnett said. He's taking it day by day. He stopped himself short in saying this is his best season.

"Do I feel I’m there yet? No," he said. "I have a little ways to go and I have to keep improving. I’m going to challenge myself to keep getting better. ...I felt like I was playing good but I’m not going to say I was playing at my best because there’s always something I can get better at, and there’s always something I can learn and grow from.”

In Week 4, the Bears' tall receivers weren't a problem once the Packers were able to play with a lead into the third quarter.

Marshall and Jeffery combined for only 58 receiving yards... and then the tight end Bennett had nine receptions for 134 yards.

Burnett said it takes a group effort to corral all three.

"Those guys are very athletic," he said. "They have big playmaking ability and they’re led by Jay Cutler so we have to be sound in our technique and be accountable to one another and trust the defense, and allow us to make plays.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody dropped him last week, so I grabbed him. We have a short bench, but how do you drop a guy like Burnett? This week, somebody else dropped Harrison Smith. I'll probably get him, too.

Part of me wants to tell the commissioner of this league that the roster size needs to increase, but part of me likes being able to grab other people's bad drops.

Somebody dropped him last week, so I grabbed him. We have a short bench, but how do you drop a guy like Burnett? This week, somebody else dropped Harrison Smith. I'll probably get him, too.

Part of me wants to tell the commissioner of this league that the roster size needs to increase, but part of me likes being able to grab other people's bad drops.
I dropped him over the bye too but was able to pick him back up. I've been sort of streaming guys through byes and injuries with the exception of Lavonte David and now Eric Weddle this week. Those are 2 I don't want to lose.

I dropped him over the bye too but was able to pick him back up. I've been sort of streaming guys through byes and injuries with the exception of Lavonte David and now Eric Weddle this week. Those are 2 I don't want to lose.
I drafted Weddle, but picked up Lavonte David because somebody dropped him on his bye week. It's nice when you can improve your team so easily from other team's drops.

I dropped him because I have R. Jones and E. Berry. The scoring leans towards big plays. I'm a GB fan and I could see Clinton-Dix eating into Burnett's production the rest of the way as well.

There's a ton of good safeties available with all of the injuries to stud MLBs.

Burnett just got downgraded to Questionable. Do you think he will play?

My league does not allow Sunday pickups so I'd need to drop him and work the wire tonight.

The late Saturday downgrade from probable to questionable scares me, but I'd hate to drop him for a lesser DB if I really don't have to.

Burnett just got downgraded to Questionable. Do you think he will play?

My league does not allow Sunday pickups so I'd need to drop him and work the wire tonight.

The late Saturday downgrade from probable to questionable scares me, but I'd hate to drop him for a lesser DB if I really don't have to.
It's never a good sign when you see a downgrade this late in the week.

with green bay drafting another safety in the first and their situation at lb, is it possible we might see almost a base dime like kc, buf, or ari the last couple years, using burnett as hybrid lb?

with green bay drafting another safety in the first and their situation at lb, is it possible we might see almost a base dime like kc, buf, or ari the last couple years, using burnett as hybrid lb?
Everything I've read suggests that GB plans to use their 1st round pick as a DB

They like versatility and pay 3 safeties pretty often even when they use him at CB. I wouldn't worry about Burnett.

Burnett has always been average in coverage, Hyde and Ha Ha are superior cover guys and now with Randall also being a superior cover guy maybe we can get the liabilities off the field. I also like the looks of Rollins, only one football season under his belt but looks to have a good skill set, my guess would be he won't be a starter this year unless we get hit with the injury bug.

Burnett has always been average in coverage, Hyde and Ha Ha are superior cover guys and now with Randall also being a superior cover guy maybe we can get the liabilities off the field. I also like the looks of Rollins, only one football season under his belt but looks to have a good skill set, my guess would be he won't be a starter this year unless we get hit with the injury bug.
Yes, I think they are trying to improve on covering TE's with Randall too, an area they did not do well.

Other comments say they are going for interceptions as well, both being ball hawks.

From Joe Whitt

Green Bay --- Running highlights of Joe Whitt's news conference on the Packers drafting Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins...

Opening... Nothing changes with how we approach the room. The best players will play. Who will play outside, who will play inside, the practice will let that figure it out. We're excited to have the skill-sets that they bring to our secondary.

On inside/outside... Different guys have different learning curves. You really never know until you get them in the room.

On Rollins making football look easy... This isn't an easy game. I do know that his rare ball skills, that is something special. He makes it easy to go get the ball. This is a hard game and he'll have challenges at this level. Corner is a hard position to come in and play as a rookie.

On molding basketball skills into football... Most of the guys you coached played basketball in history. The skll-set is there. It's the football knowledge of it. How can I get them to play at a high level of football?

On the benefits of b-ball... Staying in front of people. The man defense part of it. Other than that, you have to learn how to play cornerback. I'm confident we'll get them up to speed.

On Randall... He played safety, in the slot a lot. He's a guy who will have opportunities to play in a couple different packages.

On taking them in... My job is to get my players doing what Dom Capers wants them to do. I'm going to coach them as hard as I can and I'm going to get the most out of my room toward 1 goal -- to win a championship. Whether you're a first round or free agent, the best guy will play. The best guys play. I'm excited with their skill-set, what they can bring, but this is a young room. We have a lot of work in front of us. We're going to answer it.

On being excited for challenge... The main challenge is how do we play winning football. They will get to where they can make splash plays, but can they not make the mistake in a big game. Can they play consistently? That's the difficult part of it. All young players make mistakes. When you're a rookie, you make mistakes. Some mistakes you have to make. How fast can I expose them to tough situations and get them to play fast.

On how much value in interceptions... This is a passing league. Interceptions, turnovers are a way you can change the game. Six years in the league, we're No. 1 by a large margin. Both of these guys have that skill-set. Exciting to see, that ability to go get the ball.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/302272011.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread