What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mortgage Rates (4 Viewers)

It is being widely reported that the bond markets have gotten way too far ahead of the Fed re: potential rate cuts. CNBC reported the market has currently priced in 150 bps in 2024 vs. the Fed's dot plot of 75 bps. Rates will back up if Fed actions fall short of mkt expectations (all else equal).
Yep.

12/20/23 10-yr = 3.85%

4/11/24 10-yr = 4.57%
I think we end the year around 3.50%
So pray tell what is it you know that the market doesn't?

Futures contracts tied to the federal-funds rate show traders see rates ending the year around 5%, according to FactSet, implying just one or two quarter-point cuts this year. Entering January, traders had expected the Fed to cut interest rates six or seven times.

Source: 4/11/24 WSJ
I am talking about 10 year Treasury rates, not Fed Funds rate
Um. They are positively correlated .

The entire reason the 10-yr dropped so much in the first place since last Nov/Dec was because of anticipated rate cuts from the Fed.

Regardless, what's your rationale for the 10-yr dropping almost 110 bps in eight months?
I expect growth and inflation will slow and apply downward pressure on interest rates. If we have a hard landing with a recession the 10 year could fall as low as 2.50%. If growth is strong I see it at 4% year end. However, the likely outcome is around 3.50% at year end. The labor market and wage costs have started to slow and I expect that to continue.
And in all those slowdown scenarios there is 99.9% certainty the Fed will cut the Fed Funds rate as a response.

So basically you're just saying the current market view about future rate cuts is wrong (because "growth and inflation" expectations are exactly the factors driving those as well).

Nothing inherently bad about being different, just it would be more convincing if it came with some economic links to back it up or it's just a random prediction.
No, I think we see 50-75 basis points of rate cuts this year. That is in line or a little short of expectations.
Well in that case the 10-year won't move. Because the 50 bps of future cuts is already priced into the current 10-yr rate of 4.6%. It won't go to 3.5% as you predict without new information that significantly changes existing economic expectations. That's how markets work.

The only reason the 10-yr rates have backed up from December is because expectations of the Fed Funds rate have changed. It's right there in my first post in bold underline.
I am very versed in how markets work, I have been managing money over 20 years. I don't disagree with you that rates have backed up with some inflation numbers coming in hotter than expected. I just see that changing and I will agree to disagree with you.

It is being widely reported that the bond markets have gotten way too far ahead of the Fed re: potential rate cuts. CNBC reported the market has currently priced in 150 bps in 2024 vs. the Fed's dot plot of 75 bps. Rates will back up if Fed actions fall short of mkt expectations (all else equal).
Yep.

12/20/23 10-yr = 3.85%

4/11/24 10-yr = 4.57%

Futures contracts tied to the federal-funds rate show traders see rates ending the year around 5%, according to FactSet, implying just one or two quarter-point cuts this year. Entering January, traders had expected the Fed to cut interest rates six or seven times.

The entire reason the 10-yr dropped so much in the first place since last Nov/Dec was because of anticipated rate cuts from the Fed.

Regardless, what's your rationale for the 10-yr dropping almost 110 bps in eight months?
I expect growth and inflation will slow and apply downward pressure on interest rates. If we have a hard landing with a recession the 10 year could fall as low as 2.50%. If growth is strong I see it at 4% year end. However, the likely outcome is around 3.50% at year end. The labor market and wage costs have started to slow and I expect that to continue.
And in all those slowdown scenarios there is 99.9% certainty the Fed will cut the Fed Funds rate as a response.

So basically you're just saying the current market view about future rate cuts is wrong (because "growth and inflation" expectations are exactly the factors driving those as well).

Nothing inherently bad about being different, just it would be more convincing if it came with some economic links to back it up or it's just a random prediction.
No, I think we see 50-75 basis points of rate cuts this year. That is in line or a little short of expectations.
Well in that case the 10-year won't move. Because the 50 bps of future cuts is already priced into the current 10-yr rate of 4.6%. It won't go to 3.5% as you predict without new information that significantly changes existing economic expectations. That's how markets work.

The only reason the 10-yr rates have backed up from December is because expectations of the Fed Funds rate have changed. It's right there in my first post in bold underline.
I am very versed in how markets work, I have been managing money over 20 years. I don't disagree with you that rates have backed up with some inflation numbers coming in hotter than expected. I just see that changing and I will agree to disagree with you.
Go find any current yield curve. Look at the rate 10 yrs and 8 months from now. It's approx 4.6%. That's a proxy for what investors currently expect the 10-yr to be yielding at the end of the year absent any new information. 3.5% is dead wrong and therefore simply represents one random individual's prediction with no backup provided whatsoever. But thanks for the conversation.

Last edited:
Yep.

12/20/23 10-yr = 3.85%

4/11/24 10-yr = 4.57%

Go find any current yield curve. Look at the rate 10 yrs and 8 months from now. It's approx 4.6%. That's a proxy for what investors currently expect the 10-yr to be yielding at the end of the year absent any new information. 3.5% is dead wrong. But thanks for the conversation.

That's the beauty of the market, everyone can have an opinion. I'll assume you believe the 10 year will end the year at 4.60%. We can revisit this at year end. Have a great day!

Yep.

12/20/23 10-yr = 3.85%

4/11/24 10-yr = 4.57%

Go find any current yield curve. Look at the rate 10 yrs and 8 months from now. It's approx 4.6%. That's a proxy for what investors currently expect the 10-yr to be yielding at the end of the year absent any new information. 3.5% is dead wrong. But thanks for the conversation.

That's the beauty of the market, everyone can have an opinion. I'll assume you believe the 10 year will end the year at 4.60%. We can revisit this at year end. Have a great day!
No, that's not what I assume. That's what the market currently believes.

I asked you to provide tangible backup for why your random personal opinion of 3.5% was different than the market and consensus economists' forecasts, hoping to gain some insight. You had none.

So it turned out to be a waste of time.

Yep.

12/20/23 10-yr = 3.85%

4/11/24 10-yr = 4.57%

No, that's not what I assume. That's what the market currently believes.

I asked you to provide tangible backup for why your random personal opinion of 3.5% was different than the market and consensus economists' forecasts, hoping to gain some insight. You had none.

So it turned out to be a waste of time.
The base case for UBS is that the 10 year will end at 3.50%. That could change but that is where it is today.

Go ahead and post where you think it will end up since you are the expert. 😅

Last edited:
Yep.

12/20/23 10-yr = 3.85%

4/11/24 10-yr = 4.57%

Go find any current yield curve. Look at the rate 10 yrs and 8 months from now. It's approx 4.6%. That's a proxy for what investors currently expect the 10-yr to be yielding at the end of the year absent any new information. 3.5% is dead wrong and therefore simply represents one random individual's prediction with no backup provided whatsoever. But thanks for the conversation.

This is a friendly discussion. Disagree and have a discussion and state your case for what you believe. But dial the dead wrong shtick way back. Thanks.

UBS came out this morning and increased their year end forecast of the 10 year Treasury from 3.50% to 3.75%. This is based on the recent stickyness of inflation data and they now predict 50 basis points in reduction this year of fed funds rate starting in September. Like I said before, expectations may change based on new data.

On April 12, 2023, the 10-yr Treasury yield was 3.45%.

On the same day, UBS published a note forecasting the 10-year Treasury would fall even further from that point...and end 2023 at 3.25%

In actuality, the 10yr Treasury ended 2023 right at 4%...and of course is currently at 4.5%+

Looks like rates didn't fall as predicted by UBS in April 2023 and in fact they rose significantly. Best of luck in April 2024

"...we continue to think the 10-year will end [2023] near 3.25%"

Last edited:
UBS is kind of like the weather...if you don't like today's forecast...just wait a few days and it'll change.

...UBS now sees a growing possibility that inflation fails to decline to the Fed’s target, spurring a pivot back to hikes and sparking a deep selloff in bonds and stocks.

If the expansion remains resilient and inflation gets stuck at 2.5% or higher, there would be real risk the FOMC resumes raising rates again by early next year, reaching 6.5% Fed Funds by mid-next year,” said UBS strategists

UBS has already tempered an aggressive view for 275 basis points of US cuts this year, to now forecast just 50 basis points.

Source: Fed Hiking to 6.5% is "Real Risk" for UBS Strategists - 4/16/24 Bloomberg/Yahoo Finance

For technical analysis enthusiasts...

Additionally, the daily chart for the 10-year Treasury yield shows the 50-day and 200-day moving averages have created a “golden cross” pattern, signaling the confirmation of an uptrend and the possibility of further increases, with the next resistance level now projected at 5%.

UBS is kind of like the weather...if you don't like today's forecast...just wait a few days and it'll change.

...UBS now sees a growing possibility that inflation fails to decline to the Fed’s target, spurring a pivot back to hikes and sparking a deep selloff in bonds and stocks.

If the expansion remains resilient and inflation gets stuck at 2.5% or higher, there would be real risk the FOMC resumes raising rates again by early next year, reaching 6.5% Fed Funds by mid-next year,” said UBS strategists

UBS has already tempered an aggressive view for 275 basis points of US cuts this year, to now forecast just 50 basis points.

Source: Fed Hiking to 6.5% is "Real Risk" for UBS Strategists - 4/16/24 Bloomberg/Yahoo Finance
That article is stating what would happen in a worst case scenario, one that they view as a not very likely scenario. UBS base view is still for the 10 year to be at 3.85% at year end and that bonds are attractively valued right now. They have not wavered on that.

I noticed you still have not made your prediction on where the 10 year rate is at year end. I wonder why that is?

The average rate on the standard 30-year fixed mortgage jumped by nearly a quarter percentage point to 7.1%, according to a survey of lenders released Thursday by mortgage-finance giant Freddie Mac. That is the highest level since late 2023 and the largest weekly increase in nearly a year.

Existing home sales in March, meanwhile, posted their biggest monthly drop in more than a year, the National Association of Realtors said Thursday. The 4.3% decrease from February was the largest percentage decline on a monthly basis since November 2022, NAR said.

A persistently low supply of homes for sale is also pushing prices higher. The national median existing-home price rose 4.8% in March from a year earlier to $393,500, NAR said.

The costs of buying a home are also outpacing the increases in rent, making it relatively cheaper to rent. The average monthly new mortgage payment was 38% higher in the U.S. than the average apartment rent at the end of 2023...that premium has been in the double digits for two years.

Source: 4/18/24 WSJ

Users who are viewing this thread