What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - TOP FIVE, HERE WE GO!!!: 5. Peter Gabriel, 4. Tom Petty, 3. John Mellencamp, 2. Toto, 1. I (3 Viewers)

My favorite Fixx song off Shuttered Room (the 1982 album that contains Red Skies and Stand Or Fall) is Lost Planes. It's a really top notch debut album.

Last edited by a moderator:
91. Truly - Lionel Richie - September 1982

Richie's first solo single after leaving the Commodores earlier in the year, this won him a Grammy Award in the category Best Male Pop Vocal Performance. This was after 18 nominations (mostly for songs with the Commodores). He almost skipped the ceremony, as he was nominated each of the previous five years and had come up empty handed each time.

90. Always on My Mind - Willie Nelson - March 

This song raced to number one on Billboard's Hot Country Singles chart in May, spending two weeks on top and a total of 21 weeks on the chart. The song also fared well on Top 40 radio, reaching number five on the Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks and staying on that chart for 23 weeks. It was the best-performing single on the Hot Country Singles year-end chart of 1982.

Nelson's version resulted in three wins at the 25th Grammy Awards in February 1983: songwriters Christopher, James, and Carson won Song of the Year and Best Country Song; in addition, Nelson won for Best Male Country Vocal Performance. This version also won Country Music Association Awards in two consecutive years: 1982 Song of the Year and 1983 Song of the Year for songwriters Christopher, James and Carson; 1982 Single of the Year for Nelson, and; contributed to Nelson winning 1982 Album of the Year for the album Always on My Mind.

Several interesting facts at Songfacts.

This song raced to number one on Billboard's Hot Country Singles chart in May, spending two weeks on top and a total of 21 weeks on the chart. The song also fared well on Top 40 radio, reaching number five on the Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks and staying on that chart for 23 weeks. It was the best-performing single on the Hot Country Singles year-end chart of 1982.

Nelson's version resulted in three wins at the 25th Grammy Awards in February 1983: songwriters Christopher, James, and Carson won Song of the Year and Best Country Song; in addition, Nelson won for Best Male Country Vocal Performance. This version also won Country Music Association Awards in two consecutive years: 1982 Song of the Year and 1983 Song of the Year for songwriters Christopher, James and Carson; 1982 Single of the Year for Nelson, and; contributed to Nelson winning 1982 Album of the Year for the album Always on My Mind.

one of my favorite Willie tunes, but i honestly dont remember hearing this recording. waaaay overproduced and there should NEVER be backing vocals on a Willie Nelson song, 'cep maybe a chorus swell. it's the solitary, "walking home after waking 40 miles from nowhere without pants, a knife wound in my love handle & a diamond ring in my jacket pocket" quality that makes a Willie song a Willie song

one of my favorite Willie tunes, but i honestly dont remember hearing this recording. waaaay overproduced and there should NEVER be backing vocals on a Willie Nelson song, 'cep maybe a chorus swell. it's the solitary, "walking home after waking 40 miles from nowhere without pants, a knife wound in my love handle & a diamond ring in my jacket pocket" quality that makes a Willie song a Willie song
I guess I just picked a random one - I didn't even listen to the one in the link.

89. Never Say Never - Romeo Void - ???
The video spoofs Jean-Luc Godard’s "Breathless.”

Lead singer Debora Iyall’s lack of popularity came down to her looks, or more specifically, her weight. Iyall’s weight pretty much resulted in Columbia Records pulling all support for Romeo Void because she refused to do anything about it when the company confronted her.

Isn't that a great punk thing to do? "Lose weight or we'll drop you." "Fine. #### off."

88. Even the Nights Are Better - Air Supply - June

Released as a single in mid-1982, "Even the Nights Are Better" first charted in the United States on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart, where it spent four weeks at No. 1 in July and August. This was Air Supply's third song to reach the summit on this chart.

In September 1982, the song reached its peak position of No. 5 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the group's seventh consecutive top five hit on the US pop chart.

This song is notable for exiting the Billboard top 40 the week after it peaked, falling from No. 6 to No. 42 in September 1982. (Wiki appears a bit confused on the "peak".)

89. Never Say Never - Romeo Void - ???
The video according to spoofs Jean-Luc Godard’s "Breathless.”

Lead singer Debora Iyall’s lack of popularity came down to her looks, or more specifically, her weight. Iyall’s weight pretty much resulted in Columbia Records pulling all support for Romeo Void because she refused to do anything about it when the company confronted her.

Isn't that a great punk thing to do? "Lose weight or we'll drop you." "Fine. #### off."
Didn’t help with the line “I might like you better if we slept together.”

Good tune though - really like the bass line and sax.

88. Even the Nights Are Better - Air Supply - June

Released as a single in mid-1982, "Even the Nights Are Better" first charted in the United States on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart, where it spent four weeks at No. 1 in July and August. This was Air Supply's third song to reach the summit on this chart.

In September 1982, the song reached its peak position of No. 5 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the group's seventh consecutive top five hit on the US pop chart.

This song is notable for exiting the Billboard top 40 the week after it peaked, falling from No. 6 to No. 42 in September 1982. (Wiki appears a bit confused on the "peak".)

Not cool to say, but I am not a hater of these guys like most are. They wrote some fine pop tunes.

A song that highlights Nelson's completely monotone delivery. I could never understand what people liked about his singing on songs like this.  :X   

Mid morning snack...

92. Stand or Fall - The Fixx - October 1982

Like most songs by The Fixx, "Stand or Fall" was composed by the band and produced by Rupert Hine, who told us: "'Stand or Fall' was always a lovely composition. And I knew from the very beginning of the first rehearsal that it was all going to be down to just these two guitar chords. And they are the two chords that open the song by way of an intro. But they're also the same two chords that permeate the entire track. They just played the two separate chords that really needed to stand out and be a hook in themselves, not just be two chords in a pop song. They really needed to stand out as two sonic moments that you would hopefully get tingles. And I tried to get them to have this sort of hair-on-the-back-of-the-neck quality just being played on a guitar.

"Stand or Fall" became the group's first charting hit. In the United States, it peaked at number 76 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart but reached an impressive number 7 on the Top Rock Tracks chart.

The Fixx have a great greatest hits catalog.
The Fixx had some classic tunes in this period.  :thumbup:

87. Fantasy - Aldo Nova - ???

Signing with Portrait Records, Nova released a self-produced album Aldo Nova in 1982 that had two singles: "Fantasy" and "Foolin' Yourself".

Nova was displeased with his third album, however, and the record company's insistence on making a more commercial album. After supporting the Twitch album Nova asked to be released from his contract, which the record company would not do. Nova decided to move to Montreal and work on jingles, waiting for his contract to expire in 1991, stating he would not work on an album he didn't have full creative control over. In 1990, Aldo Nova wrote the main guitar riff that would be used in the Jon Bon Jovi song "Blaze of Glory". 

In addition, Nova produced some early Celine Dion albums. He co-wrote the hit song, "A New Day Has Come" for Dion, and has been featured playing guitar, synthesizer, and percussion on her records. He also wrote her songs "Your Light" and "I Can't Fight the Feelin'", "You and I". He co-wrote the Blue Öyster Cult song "Take Me Away".

In 1996, he received a Grammy Award as producer for Celine Dion's Falling into You for Album of the Year. He co-wrote the Latin Grammy nominated song "Aqui" for the Chilean rock group La Ley on the album Uno. He also co-wrote and co-produced 4 other tracks on that album, which later that year won a Grammy for best Latin/Alternative/Rock Album.

As a songwriter, Nova's hits include Clay Aiken's "This Is The Night" (co-written with Chris Braide and Gary Burr), which in the US was a number one hit and the best selling single of 2003. He was also the only writer to have written or co-written five songs on Dion's Taking Chances album.

I had no idea he was so prolific and successful in the music scene.

A song that highlights Nelson's completely monotone delivery. I could never understand what people liked about his singing on songs like this.  :X   
I saw Willie live once because he is a legend. The concert was brutally boring.  

I had someone else in mind at this spot #86, but after refreshing my memory with the two songs I'd chosen, I decided I needed to boost the artists quite a bit up the list. Instead, let's do this rocker (I totally dig this song)...

85. You Don't Want Me Anymore - Steel Breeze - ???

This six-man group out of Sacramento took their name from a lyric from Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond": "You were caught in the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze."

The group was discovered by the producer Kim Fowley, who found a demo tape of theirs among hundreds being discarded by a local nightclub. He best known for his role behind a string of novelty and cult pop rock singles in the 1960s, and for managing the Runaways in the 1970s. He has been described as "one of the most colorful characters in the annals of rock & roll", as well as "a shadowy cult figure well outside the margins of the mainstream"

Signing with Portrait Records, Nova released a self-produced album Aldo Nova in 1982 that had two singles: "Fantasy" and "Foolin' Yourself".

Nova was displeased with his third album, however, and the record company's insistence on making a more commercial album. After supporting the Twitch album Nova asked to be released from his contract, which the record company would not do. Nova decided to move to Montreal and work on jingles, waiting for his contract to expire in 1991, stating he would not work on an album he didn't have full creative control over. In 1990, Aldo Nova wrote the main guitar riff that would be used in the Jon Bon Jovi song "Blaze of Glory". 

In addition, Nova produced some early Celine Dion albums. He co-wrote the hit song, "A New Day Has Come" for Dion, and has been featured playing guitar, synthesizer, and percussion on her records. He also wrote her songs "Your Light" and "I Can't Fight the Feelin'", "You and I". He co-wrote the Blue Öyster Cult song "Take Me Away".

In 1996, he received a Grammy Award as producer for Celine Dion's Falling into You for Album of the Year. He co-wrote the Latin Grammy nominated song "Aqui" for the Chilean rock group La Ley on the album Uno. He also co-wrote and co-produced 4 other tracks on that album, which later that year won a Grammy for best Latin/Alternative/Rock Album.

As a songwriter, Nova's hits include Clay Aiken's "This Is The Night" (co-written with Chris Braide and Gary Burr), which in the US was a number one hit and the best selling single of 2003. He was also the only writer to have written or co-written five songs on Dion's Taking Chances album.

I do t think I’ve ever heard another song by Aldo Nova but I love Fantasy 

frankly, the honesty. da troof.

i was never much of a country fan. we started going down from NM to Austin for Willie's July 4th parties, but i definitely wasnt going for the music. then he came out with an album of standards, Stardust. having a deep voice, crooning the ol' timey songs was about all i could do, but that was blown out da water by this album. those were Walkman days and, whenever i ventured into the desert loveliness around my home, that Willie tape was on the li'l cube at my waist. whole nuther way to look at a song - making honest, confessional notes of genuine feeling instead of decorous melody-bound ones. following that converted my bullfrog croaks as surely as it did his flattish twang and i owe a debt in the 40 or so songs i sing to myself every day. keeps my heart free when all else conspires against it...

Always liked this song a lot. Very memorable video too, with the tiger skin outfit and shooting the door down with his guitar laser beam. Ultimate cheese.

Yes, he was a pretty prolific producer/writer even though his solo career didn't amount to much. He did have another song a few years later that got some heavy MTV airplay: Monkey On Your Back

I had someone else in mind at this spot #86, but after refreshing my memory with the two songs I'd chosen, I decided I needed to boost the artists quite a bit up the list. Instead, let's do this rocker (I totally dig this song)...

This six-man group out of Sacramento took their name from a lyric from Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond": "You were caught in the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze."

The group was discovered by the producer Kim Fowley, who found a demo tape of theirs among hundreds being discarded by a local nightclub. He best known for his role behind a string of novelty and cult pop rock singles in the 1960s, and for managing the Runaways in the 1970s. He has been described as "one of the most colorful characters in the annals of rock & roll", as well as "a shadowy cult figure well outside the margins of the mainstream"
Was thinking just yesterday whether this song would appear and wasn't disappointed - lol. Gimmicky tune, but always had a bit of respect for them due to the band name connection with Floyd. Wasn't aware Kim Fowley was behind them though - that's pretty cool.

Never heard this or even heard of Steel Breeze. I think they had zero radio play in Boston. Had to be a west coast type of thing. Fowler was an interesting character who has been accused of some disgusting acts

15 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Expand  
Never heard this or even heard of Steel Breeze. I think they had zero radio play in Boston. Had to be a west coast type of thing. Fowler was an interesting character who has been accused of some disgusting acts
I lived in the Midwest at the time and I heard it a fair amount. Maybe it was more radio station specific, or probably due to watching a lot of MTV. 

You're right about Fowley though - he was a pretty unsavory character.

Let's just get these two out of the way. I felt I had to include them because of their lasting impact as songs from the 80's...but I don't really care for either of them.  The good news is that after this, I won't have to apologize for any more songs as they'll be ones I really do like.

85. Come On Eileen - Dexys Midnight Runners - June

This song is based on a true story. Eileen was a girl that Kevin Rowland grew up with. Their relationship became romantic when the pair were 13, and according to Rowland, it turned sexual a year or two later.

Rowland was raised Catholic and served as an altar boy in church. Sex was a taboo subject, and considered "dirty" - something that fascinated him. When he wrote this song, Rowland was expressing the feelings of that adolescent enjoying his first sexual relationship and dreaming of being free from the strictures of a buttoned-down society

84. Do You Really Want to Hurt Me - Culture Club - September

The four members of Culture Club wrote the songs for their first album Kissing To Be Clever together, with singer Boy George coming up with the lyrics. On this song, he later admitted that he wrote the lyrics about his relationship with their drummer Jon Moss. They had an affair for about six years that was kept hidden from the public, and George often felt hurt and emotional.

The concept of the video was Boy George as an outsider, getting kicked out of different places in various historical settings. It was directed by Julien Temple, who came up with the idea of jurors dressed in blackface. This was a shocking image for American audiences (even more so today - AD), who long associated blackface with racism, but in England it was far more accepted as part of their music hall tradition.

Temple explained in the book I Want My MTV: "'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?" was about being gay and being victimized for your sexuality, which George was kind of emblematic of. It seemed appropriate to me that in the video he would be judged by jurors in blackface, to send up bigotry and point out the hypocrisy of the many gay judges and politicians in the UK who'd enacted anti-gay legislation."

can i stop covering my ears and saying loud nonsense words yet?!

btw, "loud nonsense" was my stripper name for a while...

was really expecting these iconic songs to be substantially lower in the countdown (lower meaning "higher" aka "better")  :)
Eileen ranks way up there in the ranks of songs that I once liked, but would be happy never to hear again due to insane overplay.

As for DYRWTHM, I think it still sounds fresh - nice reggae tinge to it. The story between Boy George and Jon Moss is an interesting one. The Culture Club Behind The Music episode was one of the better ones in the series.

Users who are viewing this thread