What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Music 1982 Top 100*** - Ranked by sum of artist output - TOP FIVE, HERE WE GO!!!: 5. Peter Gabriel, 4. Tom Petty, 3. John Mellencamp, 2. Toto, 1. I (1 Viewer)

Definitely sounds like a lot of songs left over from various albums, very hodgepodge.  I had no idea that Where Have All the Good Times Gone was a Kinks song.  Pretty Woman was the first video banned by MTV.
It was a bizarre video for sure, but not sure why they banned it. What’s wrong with a bunch of bullying midgets, a Quasimodo-type, samurai, Tarzan, cowboy, Napoleon, and an androgynous redhead? :shrug:

That's describing it generously.

I can't tell you how much I loathe Oh Petty Woman and, more, Dancing In The Streets. The latter may be the WORST VH song.
Diver Down is the only VH album I don’t own.  Little Guitars is fantastic but the album as a whole is annoying.  

Nice comeback by them after a long hiatus. Probably the biggest shock about these songs is that Steve Lukather didn't play on them. Seems like every other big-time sessionist did on the Daylight Again album.
It wasn't even supposed to be a CSN album. Most of the songs were recorded for a Stills-Nash album, as Crosby was really far down the hard-drug rabbit hole in the early '80s, but when they turned it in to Atlantic Records, the label said they weren't interested unless Crosby was involved. (These sessions included a cover of Dear Mr. Fantasy that ended up on the CSN box set). So they tracked him down, had him add harmony vocals to their songs, and salvaged two songs from a solo album Crosby had recorded in 1978 that was shelved. And then they took him on tour, which was a disaster. 

massraider said:
You have to know your crowd.  

I was a kid, but Billy Squier had the most Camaro-driving, jean jacket-wearing, super hetero crowd I could imagine.  Kids from vocational high schools? Big Billy Squier fans.  

Those kids were probably personally embarrassed watching that video.   :lmao:   Poor guy
that description always takes me back to this short documentary - Heavy Metal Parking Lot (Judas Priest). (not knowing about Rob Halford's secret)

it's been posted on these boards before, but I can't imagine everyone has seen it.  It is from '86, but certainly representative of that time ...especially good for the young'uns here that weren't around at that time or were so young they didn't live that life 

Diver Down is the only weak one of the bunch from that first run with Roth, but Little Guitars is a good tune. 

I’m a huge fan of Golden Earring’s Twilight Zone. One of the rare songs where I prefer the single edit. Great video as well. 

Save a Prayer is easily my favorite DD song. Love the melodies and the vibe. 

FairWarning said:
Definitely sounds like a lot of songs left over from various albums, very hodgepodge.  I had no idea that Where Have All the Good Times Gone was a Kinks song.  Pretty Woman was the first video banned by MTV.
The record label forced the album when Pretty Woman was released as a stand alone single and was a hit. VH wanted more time. I still like it but you can tell it's a rush job.

15. 1999 - Prince

Prince gave a rare interview in 1999 when he spoke with Larry King on CNN. More surprisingly, he explained the meaning behind this song. Said Prince: "We were sitting around watching a special about 1999, and a lot of people were talking about the year and speculating on what was going to happen. And I just found it real ironic how everyone that was around me whom I thought to be very optimistic people were dreading those days, and I always knew I'd be cool. I never felt like this was going to be a rough time for me. I knew that there were going to be rough times for the Earth because of this system is based in entropy, and it's pretty much headed in a certain direction. So I just wanted to write something that gave hope, and what I find is people listen to it. And no matter where we are in the world, I always get the same type of response from them."

A fourth vocalist appears on this song, most notably on the line, "Got a lion in my pocket, and baby he's ready to roar"). That's Jill Jones, who was a backup singer for Teena Marie before teaming up with Prince. She released a self-titled solo album in 1987 on Prince's Paisley Park label. She also appeared in Prince's movies Purple Rain and Graffiti Bridge.

Prince re-recorded this song in 1998 after leaving Warner Bros. Records, who retained rights to the original recording. Prince had serious beef with Warner Brothers when he found out they owned his masters, so he re-recorded this song in an attempt to keep them from profiting from the original version as the titular year approached. The new version reached #40 US at the beginning of 1999.

I like nothing that Prince has done post-Purple Rain, but that album and this song are undeniably catchy. I can't turn off "Kiss" fast enough but I find myself singing along to 1999 more often than I'll admit. 

14. Shadows of the Night/Little Too Late - Pat Benatar

A) Like "Hit Me With Your Best Shot," it was a song written by a man that Benatar had to reverse gender. Her powerful voice and strong persona helped pull it off, as lines like "baby take my hand, it'll be all right" are more typically delivered by the guy trying to comfort his damsel.

Benatar won the Grammy Award for Best Rock Vocal Performance, Female, four years in a row. "Shadows Of The Night" was her third win, following Crimes Of Passion and "Fire And Ice," and preceding "Love Is A Battlefield."

The video stars Judge Reinhold as a pilot and Bill Paxton as a Nazi radio operator.

B) This was written by Alex Call, a songwriter and musician who was lead singer in the group Clover (Huey Lewis was also in the group). In a Songfacts interview, he said: "I wrote that around the same time I wrote '(867-5309).' I was really angry at a guy who had been playing lead guitar with me who had split to go play with somebody else, so that's what the song is about. It wasn't actually a boy-girl thing, it was more like a bandleader-lead guitarist thing - 'You want to come back and play with me, I don't think so, Bud.'"

Benatar said of this song: "That was Alex Call. I just liked the song. Some outside songs we rip to pieces. That song is not far from what he originally wrote."

Little Too Late is a very underrated 80's tune. - AD

I like nothing that Prince has done post-Purple Rain, but that album and this song are undeniably catchy. I can't turn off "Kiss" fast enough but I find myself singing along to 1999 more often than I'll admit. 
Yep, thought I was the only one.  I love the funky beat of the song, but his voice is so awful on that one song it turned me off on a lot of Prince stuff in general.  

I really liked 1999 when it first came out, but I don't think it has aged that well. The same guitar riff/chord/whatever you call it just get repeated way too many times and has become monotonous for me. 

I really liked 1999 when it first came out, but I don't think it has aged that well. The same guitar riff/chord/whatever you call it just get repeated way too many times and has become monotonous for me. 
I'd agree. And I wouldn't rank it this high if it was just a list of what I liked (although we're about to get there). But as far as popular songs of '82 go, it's hard to rank it lower. 

13. More Than This - Roxy Music

Bryan Ferry told The Mail on Sunday June 28, 2009 about the Avalon album: "I started writing the songs while on the west coast of Ireland, and I like to think that some of the dark melancholy of the album comes from that place."

Asked in 2014 by Entertainment Weekly why the song endures, Ferry replied, "For some reason, there's something in the combination of the melody and the lyric that works for people."

That's Bryan Ferry's girlfriend (and soon to be wife) Lucy Birley, formerly known as Lucy Helmore, on the Avalon album cover.

If someone were to ask me what the word "sublime" means, I think I'd say to start with listening to this song.

Last edited by a moderator:
The purple blast of light & music which begins the 1999 video was the 2nd coming of the Beatles on Sullivan to me. dawn of a new age in rock & roll

i'm always barking about generational differences, but one of the areas where i feel most lucky to be my age was the chance to close on women to Avalon when it first came out. left to my own devices, i'm not the best at it, not the worst at it but, with that Roxy pulse & Ferry's vocal swoons behind me, i was Lothario, Valentino & Casanova rolled into one. and it wasn't corny - a woman didnt feel like it was electric bed, leopard sheets & fragrant oils at all, just a damn good idea that reverberated down in a rich, hidden place. in those days just before the sex cancer, Comic Book Guy coulda made a 7.5 widdit. hell, i almost seduced myself to it a coupla times...

13. More Than This - Roxy Music

Bryan Ferry told The Mail on Sunday June 28, 2009 about the Avalon album: "I started writing the songs while on the west coast of Ireland, and I like to think that some of the dark melancholy of the album comes from that place."

Asked in 2014 by Entertainment Weekly why the song endures, Ferry replied, "For some reason, there's something in the combination of the melody and the lyric that works for people."

That's Bryan Ferry's girlfriend (and soon to be wife) Lucy Birley, formerly known as Lucy Helmore, on the Avalon album cover.

If someone were to ask me what the word "sublime" means, I think I'd say to start with listening to this song.
Top 10 song from the 80s for me and also the best scene in Lost in Translation 

I have a busy afternoon, so you're getting your full five-pack before noon...

12. No One Like You - Scorpions

This was the Scorpions' breakout song in America, where it hit #1 on the Mainstream Rock chart. The band is from Germany, but had tremendous success in English-speaking countries, something that might have to do with their unusual perspective. In our interview with Scorpions guitarist Rudolf Schenker, he explained: "We had a big single with 'Nobody Like You' in '82. People asked us, 'Why are you guys coming from Germany, and you have this #1 single in the United States? What is this secret?' I said, 'Maybe it is because we see things in a different way. We explain things differently, and we go very deep inside with the music and the lyrics, and we have a different view. And people start liking this view because it's not the same as the views of other people."

A video was shot for the song in San Francisco. It features Alcatraz Island, with Klaus Meine being the recipient of capital punishment.

The track was originally written in German and much of its meaning was changed in translation.

11. Caught Up in You - .38 Special

Group members Jeff Carlisi and Don Barnes wrote this song with Jim Peterik, who was a member of the band Survivor. .38 Special's first hit was "Hold On Loosely," which Peterik wrote for Survivor - the bands were on the same label, and when the song didn't make Survivor's album, it went to .38 Special. This led to a collaboration between Carlisi, Barnes and Peterik, who wrote most of the hits for .38 Special.

Jim Peterik told Songfacts: "There was a lot of resentment that I was writing songs not only for Survivor, but I was writing them with .38 Special too. I'm talking about resentment from my own band, Survivor. What I tried to explain to them, which fell on deaf ears, was that the .38 songs would never have been right for Survivor. They came from another place in me and were very much a product of the synergy of Don Barnes, Jim Peterik and Jeff Carlisi. All they could see was competition on the charts from someone who wrote the songs for both bands. When .38 Special came in to write for the next record, I was kind of sneaking around. Survivor didn't even know .38 Special was in town. We had to find places to write songs. We couldn't go to the band house, and at my house, what if one of the guys stopped over? So we went to my mother's house and wrote in the basement. We were writing 'Caught Up In You' in this gloomy room in my mother's basement all dark and dank, and we're writing this hit song. I was feeling like the bad kid playing hooky or something."

Group members Jeff Carlisi and Don Barnes wrote this song with Jim Peterik, who was a member of the band Survivor. .38 Special's first hit was "Hold On Loosely," which Peterik wrote for Survivor - the bands were on the same label, and when the song didn't make Survivor's album, it went to .38 Special. This led to a collaboration between Carlisi, Barnes and Peterik, who wrote most of the hits for .38 Special.

Jim Peterik told Songfacts: "There was a lot of resentment that I was writing songs not only for Survivor, but I was writing them with .38 Special too. I'm talking about resentment from my own band, Survivor. What I tried to explain to them, which fell on deaf ears, was that the .38 songs would never have been right for Survivor. They came from another place in me and were very much a product of the synergy of Don Barnes, Jim Peterik and Jeff Carlisi. All they could see was competition on the charts from someone who wrote the songs for both bands. When .38 Special came in to write for the next record, I was kind of sneaking around. Survivor didn't even know .38 Special was in town. We had to find places to write songs. We couldn't go to the band house, and at my house, what if one of the guys stopped over? So we went to my mother's house and wrote in the basement. We were writing 'Caught Up In You' in this gloomy room in my mother's basement all dark and dank, and we're writing this hit song. I was feeling like the bad kid playing hooky or something."

Jim Peterik trying to play catch up with Steve Lukather in song involvements on our threads. Not gonna happen, Jimbo.

I have a busy afternoon, so you're getting your full five-pack before noon...

12. No One Like You - Scorpions

This was the Scorpions' breakout song in America, where it hit #1 on the Mainstream Rock chart. The band is from Germany, but had tremendous success in English-speaking countries, something that might have to do with their unusual perspective. In our interview with Scorpions guitarist Rudolf Schenker, he explained: "We had a big single with 'Nobody Like You' in '82. People asked us, 'Why are you guys coming from Germany, and you have this #1 single in the United States? What is this secret?' I said, 'Maybe it is because we see things in a different way. We explain things differently, and we go very deep inside with the music and the lyrics, and we have a different view. And people start liking this view because it's not the same as the views of other people."

A video was shot for the song in San Francisco. It features Alcatraz Island, with Klaus Meine being the recipient of capital punishment.

The track was originally written in German and much of its meaning was changed in translation.

One of my most worn out albums in middle school. Always had a soft spot for the softer You Give Me All I Need and the harder-edged Dynamite.

May be my favorite video of all time. Great song too

7 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Expand  
May be my favorite video of all time. Great song too
The cheese is piled so high on that video. :lol:

I’m fine with any video that shows the band playing, even if all their faces were made for radio.

that description always takes me back to this short documentary - Heavy Metal Parking Lot (Judas Priest). (not knowing about Rob Halford's secret)

it's been posted on these boards before, but I can't imagine everyone has seen it.  It is from '86, but certainly representative of that time ...especially good for the young'uns here that weren't around at that time or were so young they didn't live that life 
Oh my God I made it through three minutes of that before I had to shut it off.

"I'm twenty years old"

"I'm thirteen"

They start making out. Whoa there, fella. Talkin' 'bout trouble.

Love At First Sting is still a really good listen too, although I always skip past “Rock You Like A Hurricane” and “Big City Nights” due to massive overplay.
Still listen to that one often as well.  I wonder how many hundreds of times I have listened to some of those albums over the last 30-40 years.  Good grief, I am so freaking old.  

When making a list of the greatest choruses ever, Shadows of the Night has to be on the list.  It just has to be.  Simply incredible.  That has long been my favorite Pat Benatar song, and would be pretty high on my list of favorite songs by anyone.  Killer song. 

Before I launch into the top 10, here's a "Best of the Rest" that just missed out. So I guess it's 101-120.

Senses Working Overtime - XTC
Baby, Come to Me - Patti Austin & James Ingram
Jukebox (Don’t Put Another Dime) - The Flirts
I Know What Boys Like – The Waitresses
Uncertain Smile - The The
Emergency - Infa Riot
Keep the Fire Burnin' - REO Speedwagon
Nowhere Girl B-Movie
Heartlight - Neil Diamond
Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses
Boogie in Your Butt - Eddie Murphy :lol:
Don't Pay the Ferryman - Chris DeBurgh
It's Raining Men - The Weather Girls
Let's Go To Bed - The Cure
Lies - Thompson Twins
Valley Girl - Frank Zappa
When The Tigers Broke Free - Pink Floyd
You Dropped A Bomb On Me - The Gap Band
Let It Whip - The Dazz Band
I Keep Forgetting - Michael McDonald (Just kidding. This doesn't belong on any "best of list". Maybe "worst of", though... :yucky:  )

10. Goodbye to You - Patty Smyth & Scandal

This was written by Scandal guitarist Zack Smith. It's a breakup song where Patty Smyth sings about moving on from a relationship. Smith wrote most of Scandal's songs, while Smyth fronted the group, moving on to success as a solo artist and eventually marrying tennis star John McEnroe.

Patty Smyth credits MTV for this song's success. The song didn't get much radio airplay, but the video got a lot of spins on the network. The clip was a typical, low budget, performance video, but Smyth was easy on the eyes and MTV was hankering for American rock acts, especially females (note Pat Benatar's early acceptance on the network).

This one has everything I like in a song - a locomotive type beat, a breakup theme of "so long, chump", and the layering of the introduction of guitars at the beginning is just fantastic. Oh, and Smyth really IS easy on the eyes in the video.

9. Should I Stay or Should I Go/Rock the Casbah - The Clash

A) The Spanish backing vocals were sung by Joe Strummer and Joe Ely:

On the spur of the moment I said 'I'm going to do the backing vocals in Spanish' ... We needed a translator so Eddie Garcia, the tape operator, called his mother in Brooklyn Heights and read her the lyrics over the phone and she translated them. But Eddie and his mum are Ecuadorian, so it's Ecuadorian Spanish that me and Joe Ely are singing on the backing vocals. – Joe Strummer, 1991[

About two minutes in, you can hear Mick Jones say, "Split!" While it sounds like it could be some kind of statement related to the song, Joe Ely tells us that it had a much more quotidian meaning. Said Ely: "Me and Joe were yelling this translation back while Mick Jones sang the lead on it, and we were doing the echo part. And there was one time when the song kind of breaks down into just the drums right before a guitar part. And you hear Mick Jones saying, 'Split!' Just really loud, kind of angry. Me and Joe had snuck around in the studio, came up in the back of his booth where he was all partitioned off, and we snuck in and jumped and scared the hell out of him right in the middle of recording the song, and he just looked at us and says, 'Split!' So we ran back to our vocal booth and they never stopped the recording."

B) Clash drummer Topper Headon wrote the music and the original lyrics. In an interview, singer Joe Strummer claimed that "the real genius of 'Rock The Casbah' is Topper. He banged down the drum track. Then ran over to the piano and then the bass." Joe Strummer decided to take Headon's lyrics in a different direction. According to former Clash co-manager Kosmo Vinyl, Headon's original words were a filthy ode to his girlfriend. Vinyl recalled to Rolling Stone: "He had really pornographic lyrics for it if I remember correctly. Very, very pornographic lyrics."

I like these songs more now than I did back then. They've really grown on me. I think Casbah was really overplayed back in the day, plus I just didn't "get" it.

... "Best of the Rest" ...
I Know What Boys Like – The Waitresses
Once you hear that song it remains forever.  The whiny whiny whiny song gets stuck, lol.

Should I Stay or Should I Go
Like the Troggs Wild Thing, they took a chance going ALL OUT on the song and it works.  

Recall a flag football game back in the 80s when a guy came into the huddle when he wasn't supposed to.  He asked us 'Should I stay?'  One of the coolest guys I ever knew had a nickname 'Tooth' and we both looked at each other and in perfect unison said 'Or Should I Go, BWAAA BWAAA BWAAA WAH WAH WHAAAA!'

The ref just looked at us and deadpanned.

Did you guys rehearse that?  🤣 

Think I was 11 when I got ahold of this cassette, and my favorite track was always Straight to Hell

I don't think it was a single.  Wound up being the main sample on MIA's Paper Planes, and lent it's name to the Alex Cox movie:

Straight to Hell

A true cult movie, and everyone needs to see a spaghetti western starring Joe Strummer, the Pogues, Dennis Hopper, Courtney Love, Grace Jones, and Elvis Costello as Hives the Butler.  

That was great!

8. I Ran (So Far Away)/Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)/Space Age Love Song (video from Career Opportunities) - A Flock of Seagulls

Official SALS video.

They also did a recording with the Prague orchestra where they did all their best songs and it's great. -

A) Along with Duran Duran, Thompson Twins, and ABC, A Flock of Seagulls was a British pop band who owed their American success almost entirely to MTV. Mike Score, along with the band's bass player Frank Maudsley, were hairdressers, and they put their skills to use in creating that distinctive hairstyle that not only defined the group. 

The video was directed by Anthony Van Den Ende, who later did Killing Joke's "Eighties" and Melissa Etheridge's "Like the Way I Do" and "Bring Me Some Water."

Flock leader spoke with Songfacts in 2018. "I don't think it's the best song we've got, although it was the biggest hit. I have moments where I think 'Space Age" target="_blank">Space Age' is a lot better, or 'Wishing' is a lot better. It depends on the mood I'm in, or the emotional state I'm in at the time. But I like to play it live, because the crowd loves it. Especially at nostalgia gigs like this tour, you want to give people what they remembered, and they remember 'I Ran,' and they all get into it and have a great time. It puts a big smile on your face."
(I agree, Space Age and Wishing are much better tunes.)

B) In a Songfacts interview with A Flock Of Seagulls frontman Mike Score, he explained the meaning behind this song. "'Wishing' is about a real person," he said. "It was the eve of the first trip we ever took to America, and I had met a girl. We went out for the night, and I didn't want to forget her, so I said, 'We're going on tour and I'll be back. I'd like to get a photograph of you, if I could get one.' And she said, 'No, because you're going to go on to be famous and you'll forget me.'" This all sounds like the first half of a romantic comedy, but it didn't have a movie ending: Score never saw her again.

C) In a Songfacts interview with Mike Score, the Flock frontman revealed the meaning behind this song. "'Space Age' was just about intimacy, if you'd like. When you meet somebody there is an instant eye contact if the chemistry is right. If everything is right, you catch their eye... that whole 'across the crowded room/caught your eye' thing. The lyrics explain that: 'I saw your eyes and you made me smile.'"

The song and the video represent everything 80's - down to the decision of "do I buy this on cassette or CD"? It was a time with its own concerns, but also a lot of forward thinking hope - and at least we didn't all hate each other. And it's amazing (or maybe not) that Jennifer Connelly has been around this long. Flock might get ridiculed for their look and simple hooks, but they're going to be found on just about every "best of 80's" type album there is.  I am not ashamed to be a fan of A Flock of Seagulls - AD

one of my mgmt company's bands opened for The Clash on three NE/NY college gymnasium dates in the fall of '82. i attended the UVM show but did not meet them. our guys came away with a similar impression of them as i have of The Band from my days @ Bearsville Studios.

7. I Melt With You - Modern English

There are 1982 and 1989 versions of this song and they're subtly different

This sounds like an upbeat love song, but it's more apocalyptic than you might expect. With lyrics about "the world crashing all around your face" and "a pilgrimage to save this human's race," it really does take place with the world about to end, and the melting is quite literal. Modern English lead singer Robbie Grey, who wrote the song with his four bandmates, explained: "I don't think many people realized it was about a couple making love as the bomb dropped. As they made love, they become one and melt together."

According to Robbie Grey, he wrote the lyrics stream-of-consciousness style in just minutes while he was sitting on the floor of a London flat in 1982. So even he isn't sure what some of it means. Said Grey: "I like that line, 'Trapped in a state of imaginary grace.' Who knows what I was on at that point."

6. There's Only One Way To Rock/Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy/I'll Fall in Love Again - Sammy Hagar

One Way - Live Without A Net Van Hagar Version

Hagar has said that instead of "Standing Hampton" he was originally going to call the album "One Way To Rock". It was a British fan who told him of the term that came to be the title. In Cockney rhyming slang, a "Hampton" is a substitution for penis (Hampton Wick rhymes with "#####"). One that is "standing" would be a reference to an erection. This led to the cover art that shows a gentleman greeting a woman in various states of undress.

If you want, you could also include these songs in the list - Can't Get Loose/Heavy Metal. It was a good year for Hagar.

A) Songtracks: "There's Only One Way To Rock" is really the sort of track to which a studio cannot do justice. Five years later, justice was served. By that time, Hagar was lead vocalist with Van Halen, and in August 1986, the band made a live recording in New Haven, Connecticut (New Halen!), Live Without A Net. The show's opening was a veritable explosion with Hagar - no mean guitarist himself - sharing the lead with Edward Van Halen. This is indeed the only way to rock, and the only way to start a Van Halen concert. 

B) Provided Hagar with his only top 20 solo hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, peaking at number 13 in 1983.

C) "I'll Fall in Love Again" was used in the soundtrack to the film Vision Quest.

Users who are viewing this thread