What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My countdown list of one hit wonders- 1. Play That Funky Music (Wild Cherry) (4 Viewers)

Actually per wiki she had 4 top 40 hits from that album, but nobody remembers any of them, so this is what I meant in my OP. I feel very comfortable including her in this category. 
On the Canadian charts. In the US (BB Hot 100), it's but two. "Black Velvet" was her second US top-40 single from her eponymous debut album, but the first one has been kind of left behind.

96. “Black Velvet”- Alannah Myles 1989

This song is about the King, Elvis Presley. “Black Velvet” refers to the stuff Elvis used in his hair, but also to the fact that you can find images of Elvis on black velvet canvasses all over this country, if you’re so inclined. 

Alannah was a Canadian singer who never reached anywhere close to this level of success before or since. But in her moment of glory she delivers a nice soft rock performance as she describes a new religion. If you please. 
Let's hear it for Raven............................Raven.............Now coming to the Naughty Pole Gentlemen's Club stage, put your hands together for Dee-LI-laaaah!!

95. "She's So High"- Tal Bachman (1999)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ElORM9O-0U

A guilty pleasure. Actually, this list is chalk full of guilty pleasures.  As with so many of these awesome masterpieces, the lyrics are exceedingly cheesy. "She's so high above me...like Aphrodite!" (Yet compared to Tubthumping, it's rather erudite, don't you think?) And he didn't even write it about a girl he was trying to date- it's about a girl he was trying to set up with his stepbrother!

"I attempted to bribe the hottest girl in our high school to go out on a date with [my stepbrother]," Bachman told MTV News. "So as the conversation between me and what I thought was this godly, exalted woman progressed, I began to feel more and more uncomfortable and awkward, and so I just remember that feeling... I don't want to say fear, but just kind of being in awe of her."

Well done, Tal. Fun fact: Tal is the son of Randy Bachman, of the Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive.

A guilty pleasure. Actually, this list is chalk full of guilty pleasures.  As with so many of these awesome masterpieces, the lyrics are exceedingly cheesy. "She's so high above me...like Aphrodite!" (Yet compared to Tubthumping, it's rather erudite, don't you think?) And he didn't even write it about a girl he was trying to date- it's about a girl he was trying to set up with his stepbrother!

"I attempted to bribe the hottest girl in our high school to go out on a date with [my stepbrother]," Bachman told MTV News. "So as the conversation between me and what I thought was this godly, exalted woman progressed, I began to feel more and more uncomfortable and awkward, and so I just remember that feeling... I don't want to say fear, but just kind of being in awe of her."

Well done, Tal. Fun fact: Tal is the son of Randy Bachman, of the Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive.
This song blows.

"if a song is the only one the artist is remembered for, and/or  if the song is far more famous than the artist who performed it, it’s eligible" 

I think by the OPs definition, Lunatic Fringe also qualifies, even if it wasn't in the BB Hot 100 (which in itself is a terrible standard as many songs don't qualify for that chart).

But it definitely isn't the answer to your trivia.  Which I have thought about and have drawn a complete blank.
Lunatic Fringe extra qualifies because after about 3 drinks everybody (and by everybody I mean just me) thinks it’s a Pink Floyd song, which almost makes it a none hit wonder for Red Ryder.

No need to feel guilty.  This is a good 90s song.  

94. “Harden My Heart”- Quarterflash (1981) 

I feel less guilty about this one. The lyrics are rather simple and mundane, but the band makes the most of them. This was one of the first MTV hits I can recall- seems like it was played every 30 minutes or so. It was unusual for a lead singer to play the saxophone. 

I honestly hadn’t heard or thought of this tune for over 30 years until it showed up on the opening minutes of the very first episode of The Americans. 

94. “Harden My Heart”- Quarterflash (1981) 

I feel less guilty about this one. The lyrics are rather simple and mundane, but the band makes the most of them. This was one of the first MTV hits I can recall- seems like it was played every 30 minutes or so. It was unusual for a lead singer to play the saxophone. 

I honestly hadn’t heard or thought of this tune for over 30 years until it showed up on the opening minutes of the very first episode of The Americans. 
I dock this song points for being a Pat Benatar knock-off.

Not sure what defines a one hit wonder, but Quarterflash had three Top 20 songs. 
Tim said he would play fast and loose with the rules, and this one kind of follows his "known for only one song" rule. I agree - I knew this one right away, but had to look up the others and said "oh yea - haven't heard that in 35 years".

Anarchy99 said:
Not sure what defines a one hit wonder, but Quarterflash had three Top 20 songs. 
Agreed - I understand the loose use of OHW here, but “Find Another Fool” and “Take Me To Heart”  still get some airplay. More so the latter from what I’ve heard.

Love me some Quarterflash...midgets, saxophones and overall confused 80s video concepts.

An alltime classic!!

93. “Good”- Better than Ezra (1995) 

In the mid 90s, a whole bunch of bands emerged that attempted to copy the Seattle “grunge” sound of Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Better than Ezra was one of these, even though they came from about as far from Seattle as possible within the US (the Deep South.) In 1995 they had their one big hit with “Good”. 

Despite its grunge style, this is basically a power pop song with a nice hook and that’s why it was a hit. Personally it’s one of my favorite songs of the 90s. So much so that I bought the cd at the time. But as with almost all of the performers in this countdown, this band has never been heard of again. Sadly they’ve been worse than Ezra ever since (terrible pun but I couldn’t resist!)  

99. "Tubthumping"- Chumbawamba (1997)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

Hard to believe, but this band had 8 albums before "Tubthumping" (they were formed in 1982) and another 7 albums after. This made me hesitate to add them to this list; I was thinking, that's a lot of albums we're talking about here, is it another Grateful Dead, maybe a British version? Am I just clueless in that I never heard of this band either before or after "Tubthumping"?

Well not really. Despite their longevity (they lasted until 2012) apparently nobody ever paid attention to them. Except for that one brief moment in 1997.

Anyhow, the lyrics of this song, while positive, are rather insipid, but the tune is pretty infectious (some would find it annoyingly so.) But I always liked it.  Kind of. Enough to make the bottom of this list anyhow.
I liked this song as a kid when it peaked. So I bought the cd. Just terrible. 

93. “Good”- Better than Ezra (1995) 

In the mid 90s, a whole bunch of bands emerged that attempted to copy the Seattle “grunge” sound of Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Better than Ezra was one of these, even though they came from about as far from Seattle as possible within the US (the Deep South.) In 1995 they had their one big hit with “Good”. 

Despite its grunge style, this is basically a power pop song with a nice hook and that’s why it was a hit. Personally it’s one of my favorite songs of the 90s. So much so that I bought the cd at the time. But as with almost all of the performers in this countdown, this band has never been heard of again. Sadly they’ve been worse than Ezra ever since (terrible pun but I couldn’t resist!)  
"King of New Orleans" and "Desperately Wanting" are both good songs.  you're reaching a little here on OHW status.

"King of New Orleans" and "Desperately Wanting" are both good songs.  you're reaching a little here on OHW status.
I don't write this to be contentious, but maybe side with the OP - those other songs are good songs, IMHO, but they never really broke the charts. Then again, a lot of pretty good music doesn't.  

eta* They may have charted, as often as I heard them

Last edited by a moderator:
krista4 said:
This song is truly awful.

I like it.   :bag:  
Ugh shy high school Woz used to listen to this song and think about whatever girl I liked that I was afraid to ask out. 

shuke said:
Re: Lovin’ You.

Anyone else notice the sexual undertones in this commercial ?

They’re so obvious maybe you can’t call them undertones. 
Again, gently non-contentious as this is opinion-based, but I'm not going to lie. I can find hidden meaning in almost everything but not this. They're cinnabuns. Unless cinnabuns can't be inherently unsexual, there's nothing the commercial does that makes it sexual. It doesn't humanize the sexual aspect. There's not even a gaping maw. We get the Pilsbury Doughboy instead.  

So, shuke, you have a dirty, dirty mind. 

Shame room for you.  

Ugh shy high school Woz used to listen to this song and think about whatever girl I liked that I was afraid to ask out. 
Jeez, Woz. The last page of this thread has not been kind to your manhood.  :lmao:

Glad you can admit what most all of us in quieter places know, though, so there's that.  

eta* Tubthumping is an awesome, awesome OHW and might be qualified to be number one on this list.  

OK for those who are interested, here is a list of songs, many of them famous as one hit wonders, which did not make my top 100: 

Convoy

Lunatic Fringe

Love Plus One

Disco Duck 

Electric Avenue

Relax

It’s Raining Men

Putting on the Ritz

Too Shy

Shiny Shiny

Break My Stride

Macerena 

One Night In Bangkok

We’re Not Gonna Take It

Don’t You (Forget About Me) 

The Lady In Red

Dear God

Beds Are Burning 

Nothing Compares to U

I’m Too Sexy

Baby Got Back

Whoomp There It Is

No Rain 

Barely Breathing 

Save Tonight 

Who Let the Dogs Out? 

You’re Beautiful 

Several reasons these were excluded. In the cases of Twisted Sister, Simple Minds, XTC, Midnight Oil, and Sinead O’Connor I felt they were all too big performers to be thought of as one hit wonders despite one time on the charts (though I really wavered on Simple Minds). Some of these songs I like but  just barely missed the cut. And others are just really really awful songs that I hope never to hear again (the previously mentioned Achy Breaky Heart,  Macerena, I’m Too Sexy, Whoomp There It Is, Who Let the Dogs Out? Break My Stride and You’re Beautiful.) 

OK for those who are interested, here is a list of songs, many of them famous as one hit wonders, which did not make my top 100: 

Convoy

Lunatic Fringe

Love Plus One

Disco Duck 

Electric Avenue

Relax

It’s Raining Men

Putting on the Ritz

Too Shy

Shiny Shiny

Break My Stride

Macerena 

One Night In Bangkok

We’re Not Gonna Take It

The Lady In Red

Dear God

Beds Are Burning 

Nothing Compares to U

I’m Too Sexy

Baby Got Back

Whoomp There It Is

No Rain 

Barely Breathing 

Save Tonight 

Who Let the Dogs Out? 

You’re Beautiful 

Several reasons these were excluded. In the cases of Twisted Sister, Simple Minds, XTC, Midnight Oil, and Sinead O’Connor I felt they were all too big performers to be thought of as one hit wonders despite one time on the charts (though I really wavered on Simple Minds). Some of these songs I like but  just barely missed the cut. And others are just really really awful songs that I hope never to hear again (the previously mentioned Achy Breaky Heart,  Macerena, I’m Too Sexy, Whoomp There It Is, Who Let the Dogs Out? Break My Stride and You’re Beautiful.) 
I think I like the songs that missed your list better than the ones that have made your list so far--but thats why it's your list. Cool topic that I will read along to. 

92. “99 Luftballoons”- Nena (1983)

One of 2.5 songs on this list originally sung in a different language (kudos to anyone who can figure out the .5) 

Funky new wave  dance song from the 80s with a groovy beat. Apparently the lyrics have something to do with the Berlin Wall but nobody cared- I remember they came out with an English version and it was really awful and the local radio continued to play the German.

I really should look up the English version lyrics to see if the song mentions Captain Kirk or if that’s just my imagination. I have idly wondered about this for years, and all it will take is just a quick Google and I’ll know once and for all. But not just now, I can’t be bothered.  

Convoy

Lunatic Fringe

Love Plus One

Disco Duck 

Electric Avenue

Relax

It’s Raining Men

Putting on the Ritz

Too Shy

Shiny Shiny

Break My Stride

Macerena 

One Night In Bangkok

We’re Not Gonna Take It

The Lady In Red

Dear God

Beds Are Burning 

Nothing Compares to U

I’m Too Sexy

Baby Got Back

Whoomp There It Is

No Rain 

Barely Breathing 

Save Tonight 

Who Let the Dogs Out? 

You’re Beautiful 
Good list - may want to put this in the OP when people start mentioning/complaining about their omission.

I never knew Sinead was a big performer.

The list of exclusions is surprising. I definitely think Don't you forget about me belongs in anyone's top 100. 

Looking forward to the actual list. I'm guessing the Beatles didnt make it.

I never knew Sinead was a big performer.
In the OP I wrote that the song should be more famous, or equally famous, than the artist that performs it. That’s almost always the case on my list. Even in the few examples when it wasn’t, the artist was only really famous for a very short window of time. Sinead O Connor (I rhink she has a Muslim name now) has been around for decades. 

In the case of Simple Minds they had another song “Alive and Kicking”, that wasn’t a Billboard hit but had a LOT of radio play and most people are aware of it. Same with Twisted Sister and “I Wanna Rock” (and Dee Snider had a pretty large personality.) 

92. “99 Luftballoons”- Nena (1983)

One of 2.5 songs on this list originally sung in a different language (kudos to anyone who can figure out the .5) 

Funky new wave  dance song from the 80s with a groovy beat. Apparently the lyrics have something to do with the Berlin Wall but nobody cared- I remember they came out with an English version and it was really awful and the local radio continued to play the German.

I really should look up the English version lyrics to see if the song mentions Captain Kirk or if that’s just my imagination. I have idly wondered about this for years, and all it will take is just a quick Google and I’ll know once and for all. But not just now, I can’t be bothered.  
"Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk"

The German version tells the story quite differently from the English. 

Direct German to English translation.

Do you have you some time for me,
if so I'll sing a song for you
about 99 balloons
on their way to the horizon.
Maybe you're thinking about me right now
if so I'll sing a song for you
about 99 balloons
and that such a thing comes from such a thing.

99 balloons
on their way to the horizon
People think they're UFOs from space
so a general sent up
a fighter squadron after them
Sound the alarm if it's so
but there on the horizon were
only 99 balloons.

99 fighter jets
Each one's a great warrior
Thought they were Captain Kirk
then came a lot of fireworks