What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Dad Dropped Another Album (1 Viewer)

You got 1 song, whats got the most instant appeal?

• Killing Time

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Detroit Riot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Angels of Mercy

• Shakedown

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Crooked Mile

• Overload

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Ilov80s

Footballguy
He grew up in 60's Ann Arbor,  played in the same clubs as Bob Seger. 

He played and recorded music his entire life: my basement was a recording studio growing up. He's finally released a full album. This is a project he has tinkered with for 5 years but now he is ready to just put it out. A hobby taken to the limit. The Detroit Blues Society has chosen the album as their premiere release. 

Blues Detroit album on Spotify

Youtube links to songs 

Killing Time

Detroit Riot

Angels of Mercy

Shakedown

Crooked Mile

Overload

Last edited by a moderator:
He grew up in 60's Ann Arbor,  played in the same clubs as Bob Seger. 

He played and recorded music his entire life: my basement was a recording studio growing up. He's finally released a full album. This is a project he has tinkered with for 5 years but now he is ready to just put it out. A hobby taken to the limit. The Detroit Blues Society has chosen the album as their premiere release. 

Blues Detroit

Wow!  Can't wait to listen to this.  So cool.

well i must say, 80s - your dad's disc was a truly enjoyable experience. that surprises me. not only has one of my personal blueses been being tired of the blues for a long time but, when i returned to NE almost 40 yrs after being kind of a bigshot there, i was forced to listen to the adult vanity catalogues of a lot of talented kids who'd ripened into pedestrian peeps, so i always expect to have to be kind in these sitches.

that is not the case here. Blues Detroit was delightful. reminded me of Ten Years After without the amphetamines, or Jorma Kaukenon with a personality. it used a solid grounding in the Chicago electric blues - both black guy & white boy - traditions as well as a deep musicology (echoes of Dead, Petty, Top as well as a good measure of MCMadness) to keep flow & freshness in what i normally find to be a tired form. every blues trope was served but always elevated to keep the fresh & the flow. good structure & variety in the songwriting & arrangements, fine spirit & musicianship.

my only criticism is that the mix was a little egalitarian. this could have been a function of budget, it could be just be fairness (i can see the acorn, right next to the tree, here), but bringing the guitar, harp, vocals, even percussion (excellent, btw) forward in spots would have given it a better edge and brightness. if a blues album's only flaw is that it could use MORE ego, that's quite an exceptional thing. thank your pop for a fine, fine listen (saved - wont be the last)

well i must say, 80s - your dad's disc was a truly enjoyable experience. that surprises me. not only has one of my personal blueses been being tired of the blues for a long time but, when i returned to NE almost 40 yrs after being kind of a bigshot there, i was forced to listen to the adult vanity catalogues of a lot of talented kids who'd ripened into pedestrian peeps, so i always expect to have to be kind in these sitches.

that is not the case here. Blues Detroit was delightful. reminded me of Ten Years After without the amphetamines, or Jorma Kaukenon with a personality. it used a solid grounding in the Chicago electric blues - both black guy & white boy - traditions as well as a deep musicology (echoes of Dead, Petty, Top as well as a good measure of MCMadness) to keep flow & freshness in what i normally find to be a tired form. every blues trope was served but always elevated to keep the fresh & the flow. good structure & variety in the songwriting & arrangements, fine spirit & musicianship.

my only criticism is that the mix was a little egalitarian. this could have been a function of budget, it could be just be fairness (i can see the acorn, right next to the tree, here), but bringing the guitar, harp, vocals, even percussion (excellent, btw) forward in spots would have given it a better edge and brightness. if a blues album's only flaw is that it could use MORE ego, that's quite an exceptional thing. thank your pop for a fine, fine listen (saved - wont be the last)
Awesome review, I’ll share that with him. He will really appreciate it. He’s been writing and recording music his entire life. This is decades of work learning mixing, engineering, fixing equipment, etc. Glad that people are enjoying it. It’s the best thing he’s done imo. He’s working now on going through his probably hundreds of songs to find the best to re-record and put out. He’s got some good songs that just never got a really quality recording. 

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get it a little exposure? Unfortunately neither my dad nor myself have much of a social media presence. 

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get it a little exposure? Unfortunately neither my dad nor myself have much of a social media presence. 
Do you have a public or listener-supported radio channel near you (AAA format would probably be best)? Some of them I listen to highlight local musicians.

Nothing I could say wouldn't have already been obvious. But I'm going to go ahead and do it anyway. 

College radio, left of the dial user-supported stations. Both should be big in Ann Arbor, I would assume. Find the local college radio stations that have blues programs and send them along a CD for consideration. Find any left-of-the-dial station that has local music and/or modern blues as their points of emphasis. Again, pass a CD along. I'd imagine it would take a little research and time, but you could probably compile a pretty good list of stations. 

I'd say another good way is to find live places that support the blues and maybe try and get a gig or two. I used to know people at the nationally known Theodore's Blues Bar in Springfield, MA. I think I still know the owners. So those places exist. Saw a dude perform in a kufi once at that place. 

Research hard, and you'll find something. 

I'm not sure what sort of social media presence you could have. Again, research Twitter accounts and Instagram or TikTok accounts that deal with the blues. Typing "Blues Radio" into Twitter instantly lit up my feed with blues stations. 

The promo part of this is how bad you want it, really. Good luck, ilov! 

Nothing I could say wouldn't have already been obvious. But I'm going to go ahead and do it anyway. 

College radio, left of the dial user-supported stations. Both should be big in Ann Arbor, I would assume. Find the local college radio stations that have blues programs and send them along a CD for consideration. Find any left-of-the-dial station that has local music and/or modern blues as their points of emphasis. Again, pass a CD along. I'd imagine it would take a little research and time, but you could probably compile a pretty good list of stations. 

I'd say another good way is to find live places that support the blues and maybe try and get a gig or two. I used to know people at the nationally known Theodore's Blues Bar in Springfield, MA. I think I still know the owners. So those places exist. Saw a dude perform in a kufi once at that place. 

Research hard, and you'll find something. 

I'm not sure what sort of social media presence you could have. Again, research Twitter accounts and Instagram or TikTok accounts that deal with the blues. Typing "Blues Radio" into Twitter instantly lit up my feed with blues stations. 

The promo part of this is how bad you want it, really. Good luck, ilov! 
Good suggestions, thank you. My dad doesn't play live anymore and I am sure doesn't want to play bars or any of those kind of places so that's tough. Detroit Blues Society is a non-profit that works to promote and keep blues music alive has endorsed it and from my understanding is making it the first album they are supporting as a release of their own. I don't know what promotion or whatever that will include. The problem is all these blues fans are older people so the dominant forms of media today aren't really something they are familiar with. 

Do you have a public or listener-supported radio channel near you (AAA format would probably be best)? Some of them I listen to highlight local musicians.
Yeah that is probably the best bet. The best local listener supported station is classical and jazz but I am sure there is something that would play blues. He's not looking to make money or anything, just get the music out there for whatever small audience there may be. 

I tweeted at the Black Keys, Dan Auerbach, and Jack White's Third Man Records with a your link and asked for retweet exposure. Probably will never see it but you never know. Maybe do similar with other artists.

Good suggestions, thank you. My dad doesn't play live anymore and I am sure doesn't want to play bars or any of those kind of places so that's tough. Detroit Blues Society is a non-profit that works to promote and keep blues music alive has endorsed it and from my understanding is making it the first album they are supporting as a release of their own. I don't know what promotion or whatever that will include. The problem is all these blues fans are older people so the dominant forms of media today aren't really something they are familiar with. 
Cool. Hopefully they do something with what is likely their limited budget for promotion.

As for the bolded, I had said something about those social media platforms not being the best bet for reaching blues fans because of the age of the average listener/practitioner, but canned it in the edit. Didn't want it to be too ageist. But yeah, the blues are a genre that definitely appears to grayer hair, so those social media things might not be completely viable avenues. 

You can send it to the Tony Kornheiser show (podcast) in an email along with permission from your father and they will play it. 

Gets a lot of exposure and probably closer to your dads demographic. 

Listening now. Really enjoying it. Subscribed to the channel. Thanks for sharing and good luck to your dad.

if he was on the circuit that long, i should think a podcast of chats/jams w other MC music warriors (weekend or otherwise) might be good hype for his material and maybe a nice hobby. i knew the Flock & Siegel/Schwall guys in ChiTown backinaday and there seemed to be a real colloquy vibe w the lilywhite midwestern blues guys. he could highlight some tuneage with that since he dont have roadwork behind him no mo.

if he was on the circuit that long, i should think a podcast of chats/jams w other MC music warriors (weekend or otherwise) might be good hype for his material and maybe a nice hobby. i knew the Flock & Siegel/Schwall guys in ChiTown backinaday and there seemed to be a real colloquy vibe w the lilywhite midwestern blues guys. he could highlight some tuneage with that since he dont have roadwork behind him no mo.
He doesn't really have too many connections that are still in music. He stopped really playing live more than a few times a year in the 80s. He always did music but it was always a side thing. He did college, grad school and was a full time hospital manager so this has been a post retirement effort. 

He doesn't really have too many connections that are still in music. He stopped really playing live more than a few times a year in the 80s. He always did music but it was always a side thing. He did college, grad school and was a full time hospital manager so this has been a post retirement effort. 

well, then, compliment him again for me cuz every number in that selection sounds like it had been worked out for years in clubs. i used to tell my new clients, "past this door, you are not artists but liquor salesmen". those songs would move a LOT of product, if they havent already. shame you dont have some chums to be his proxy, cuz that setlist would get work.

Great music! Real authentic sound and the musicianship is both exceptional and tasteful. 
Awesome, I am going to share all these comments this weekend. He's got like 4 more albums of stuff in the works. I am happy he is at least getting it out there.  Not bad for a bunch of guys around 70. 

i went with "Killing Time" in the pole

i once wrote a song, "Blue Martini" that imagined how the night started for the guy singing "One For the Road" ("it's quarter to three, no one in the place"). "Killing Time" sounds like how "Hey Joe"' got started off. and the opening is sly

I went "Shakedown" because I'm a sucker for walks, and it sounds like there's a bass walk in there. Dig it. I don't know how to put that actually in terms of sheet music or even colloquially, but I dig the bass in it. 

I ain't a music guy and like Rush so ignore this....

Killing Time - On the verge of something really special.  Music is a ten, vocals are a ten...the two together seem to be trumping each other rather than complimenting.

Detroit Riot - Music is drowning out the vocals.  Blues metal?

Angels of Mercy - Not my thing, but a country guy could turn this into a huge hit.

Shakedown - Feels dated compared to the other tunes.

Crooked Mile - I'm not a Blues fan, but this is the best production of the bunch.  The vocals really shine here.

Overload - Wow...hit's the blues mark again.  I like the music and vocals seem to work together.

I'd strongly encourage your Dad to reach out to Songland or pursue one of the other TV shows..  These productions are 95% of the way there.  Someone with experience could turn this creatively into $$$.

Users who are viewing this thread