What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Predictions for the 2016 draft and free agency (1 Viewer)

travdogg

Footballguy
I decided to go with a 1st round projection and listing a few pickups per team. If a player is not listed among signings, that means I either don’t deem them important enough to comment upon, or I believe they are going to re-sign with their previous team. I also greatly dislike this year’s QB class, there is nobody in Winston or Mariota’s class, or even in Bridgewater’s, so don’t be surprised that I have no QB’s in the top-20 picks. Without further ado:

1. San Francisco-WR Laquon Treadwell, the 49ers haven’t had an impact WR since Terrell Owens left 12 years ago. I think trading up to #1 to get Treadwell gives them that, and the Titans are likely looking to move down from the #1 pick.

QB Nick Foles, had success with Chip Kelly, and I think Kaepernick and the 49ers are headed toward a divorce. Foles and Gabbart will give them serviceable QB play on the cheap.

OG Geoff Schwartz, solid guard who has had trouble staying healthy, solid replacement for Alex Boone who leaves for greener pastures.

CB Greg Toler, Trumaine Brock is a decent #1, and Jimmie Ward is a good nickel, Toler fills the hole for a bigger #2 corner.

2. Cleveland-OLB Joey Bosa, the Browns need pass rush help, and getting to Big Ben and Dalton and Flacco is a huge priority. Mingo hasn’t panned out yet, and Kruger is a good but not great player.

QB Robert Griffin, still only 25, Griffin offers more upside than anyone in this year’s draft class, and at a fraction of the price. McCown offers them a quality backup, if Griifin proves unable to maintain health.

WR Mike Wallace, I expect him to be cut by the Vikings, and Travis Benjamin will likely get a big contract from someone else on the open market. Wallace and Gordon, with Barnidge at TE would give Griffin a lot of quality weapons in the passing game.

C-G Ben Jones, a depth signing, who could prove to be a starter depending on Cameron Erving’s development.

3. San Diego-S Jalen Ramsey, an elite secondary prospect, who could be an excellent replacement for what Eric Weddle gave them for years.

TE Vernon Davis, gives the Chargers a 2nd TE behind Gates, who is a part time player at this point. Ladarius Green has filled that role recently, but he’ll be highly sought after on the open market, and is likely tired of being Gates’ caddy.

OT Will Beatty, takes Joe Barksdale’s spot in the lineup, and allows DJ Fluker to stay at guard.

DE Malik Jackson, an impact lineman, who I can’t see Denver being able to afford, they seemingly chose Wolfe over him when they re-signed him. Jackson gives the Chargers a guy teams will have to double, opening up the rest of the front seven to make plays.

4. Dallas-LB Myles Jack, in my opinion he’s the best player in the draft, but ILB’s don’t go #1. Dallas gets a player who could be their version of Patrick Willis.

RB Matt Forte, Darren McFadden was a good RB in 2015, but can’t be counted on. Forte gives Dallas a 3-down RB, who could still have a couple huge years left.

DE Robert Ayers, a cheaper, less off field headache than Greg Hardy. Likely a utility backup to Lawrence and Gregory.

CB Prince Amukamara, adding him, allows them to keep Byron Jones at safety, which is where it seems they want him to play. Amukamara-Carr-Scandrick would be a nice trio.

5. Jacksonville-OT Laremy Tunsil, Luke Joeckel has been a disappointment to date, and may need to be moved to right tackle. Tusnil’s selection may upgrade 2 positions.

TE Scott Chandler, Julius Thomas has never played a full season, Chandler gives them a viable #2, at a much lower price then they have been paying Mercedes Lewis.

ILB Rolando McClain, Posluzny has been on the decline of late, and while his leadership will likely keep him on the team, McClain is an upgrade and allows him to become more of a utility player.

S Eric Weddle, the secondary has needed an upgrade and a leader for years, and Weddle provides both.

6. Baltimore-WR Corey Coleman, an excellent playmaker at WR, who would get to learn from Steve Smith for a year, before he and Perriman become the top WR’s on the team.

OT Ryan Harris, solid utility player, with Monroe’s durability issues and Wagner’s consistency issues, could see a decent amount of playing time.

OLB Greg Hardy, Hardy is interesting, because he should be available cheaper than he should be, and has the upside to be the top pass rusher for the Ravens. Also he’s still young, which means he can be a potential long-term replacement for aging rushers Suggs or Dumervil. Also, don’t think the Ravens will be scared off by his off field issues, his situation and Ray Rice’s aren’t the same.

CB Leon Hall, gives the Ravens a solid slot corner, and potential #2 if they feel Webb would be better in the slot.

7. Tennessee-RB Ezekiel Elliott, not quite in Todd Gurley’s league, but way above Melvin Gordon’s. A 3 down RB, with big play ability and ready from day 1 as a pass blocker/receiver. Elliott, Mariota, and Green-Beckham could be quite the trio to build around.

OT Jermon Bushrod, a solid LT, who fell out of favor in Chicago, he’d be a welcome addition to Tennessee, and could push Lewan to RT, where he seems more comfortable.

NT Terrance Knighton, the Titans have a very underrated front-7, but what they have been missing is a true nose tackle. Knighton gives them that.

S Walter Thurmond, moved to safety last year, and rejuvenated his career. He’s cheaper and better than Michael Griffin.

8. Miami-DT Sheldon Rankins, a very disruptive interior lineman, he could crush the one on one blocks he’ll likely receive opposite Suh. Miami could be a sneaky candidate to lead the NFL in sacks next season.

OG Jahri Evans, still an above average guard, he could really help an interior that has struggled since Incognito left.

OLB Vincent Rey, always a utility player in Cincinnati behind Burfict, he finally gets his shot at a starting role.

CB Sean Smith, returning to Miami, where they should have never let him leave in the first place, he gives them size they really need at CB opposite Grimes.

9. Tampa Bay-OT Ronnie Stanley, I think Donovan smith had a decent rookie season, but he projects best as a RT, and Stanley will go a long way toward keeping Winston upright.

WR James Jones, a cheap 3rd WR, who gives Winston another reliable pair of hands. Probably a one year rental, until Kenny Bell is ready to make an impact.

DE Mario Williams, sure to be cut by Buffalo, Williams was still an elite player in 2014, he just didn’t fit Rex’s scheme. Even after retaining Doug Martin, Tampa has the cap room to outbid everyone here.

CB PacMan Jones, Tampa could use a quality veteran in the secondary, and this is likely Jones’ last chance at a big-ish payday. I think he’d like to stay in Cinci, but he’ll price himself out of their range.

10. New York Giants-DT Andrew Billings, a big bodied run stuffer, pairing him with Jonathan Hankins gives the Giants a fearsome interior, and if JPP can stay healthy, a great D-line. Which may be their only strength on defense.

RB Lamar Miler, the running game has been mostly ineffective since the Jacobs-Bradshaw days. Miller would give them their most talented runner since Tiki Barber. At only 25, Miller is still improving, and may be ready to ascend to consistent pro bowl status.

WR Brian Quick, I’m assuming Victor Cruz is still part of the Giants plans, but between him and Beckham, the Giants could use a WR with some size, and untapped upside. Quick has both those things and could blossom with improved QB play.

OT Donald Stephenson, cheap OT who can start in a pinch. Right tackle job is wide open for the Giants, assuming Flowers is given a shot at LT.

11. Chicago-DE DeForest Buckner, he and Eddie Goldman could give Chicago a nice young core on the d-line. Buckner offers a lot of versatility to play multiple positions in multiple fronts.

OT Byron Bell, has disappointed as a starter, but still can be useful as a swing, and an insurance policy if Charles Leno doesn’t pan out.

ILB Danny Trevathan, can’t see how Denver can afford to keep him, he’s familiar with John Fox and fills a huge need.

CB Jerraud Powers, he’s a candidate to be overpaid this offseason, but he’s an upgrade from Tracy Porter.

12. New Orleans-DE Noah Spence, if not for character concerns, he’d be a top-5 pick. He makes plays with both power and quicks.

WR Marques Colston, a reworked contract is likely, but his leadership is too valuable to lose.

TE LaDarius Green, I think this is their shot at potentially replacing Jimmy Graham. Green has incredible quickness for a TE, he’s just needed a bigger role. I also think Watson resigns as an oft-used #2 TE.

OLB Mark Barron, has successfully reinvented himself as a linebacker, after striking out at safety, could be a solid playmaking addition to a defense that needs them.

13. Philadelphia-DT Robert Nkendiche, should start alongside Fletcher Cox in Philly’s new wide 9 defense. Has enormous interior rushing potential, and was miscast as an end early in college career.

QB Colin Kaepernick, the Eagles front office continues to aggressively seek the franchise QB they haven’t had since McNabb. He wants out of San Francisco, and they seem likely to oblige.

C-G Ryan Wendell, guard play was awful last season and Wendell, while perhaps more known as a center, could give them a huge shot in the arm at guard.

S Tyvon Branch, was a great part time player in KC and a star at times in Oakland before that. He’s earned a full-time job again. He and Jenkins could be one of the best safety combos in the NFL, which hasn’t been a strength for Philly since Brian Dawkins was in his prime.

14. Oakland-ILB Jaylon Smith, might seem high due to his injury, but if he’s 100%, he’s not falling past 6 or 7. Reminds me a lot of NaVorro Bowman, he does everything well, the injury is his only issue.

OG Mike Harris, the Raiders could use a starting RG, or at least another option there, Harris decent and cheap.

DE Nick Fairley, between Justin Tuck retiring, Mario Edwards scary sounding injury, and Aldon Smith’s unreliability, though I do think he re-signs, Fairley can give the front-7 another very needed playmaker, as an end or a tackle.

S-George Iloka, solid player who the Benglas simply won’t be able to keep, Iloka will have some big shoes to fill in future HOF’er Charles Woodson.

15. Los Angeles-WR Michael Thomas, similar to Demaryius Thomas he’s a big WR, with excellent run after catch skills, who is a bit of a project in the route running department. Might take a couple years to develop, but the upside is well, Demaryius Thomas.

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, just don’t see the Jets being able to afford him. This is likely his last chance to cash in big, and the Jets don’t have the cap space to be the highest bidder. The Rams do though, and Fitzpatrick would give the their most reliable QB since Bulger.

OT Chris Clark, gives the Rams another option if Greg Robinson needs to be moved inside.

S Hussain Abdullah, solid player, who can replace Rodney McLeod on the cheap. I like McLeod, but I get the feeling they value him lower than the market will, especially after they likely dump a big contract on Janoris Jenkins.

16. Detroit-CB Vernon Hargreaves, speaking of Janoris Jenkins, Hargreaves reminds me of him a bit. They both have flash shut down ability, but then give up an occasional big play. Pairing Hargreaves with Darius Slay, gives the Lions the best young CB combo east of Arizona.

WR Travis Benjamin, I think he gets PAID. There is a lot of untapped upside here, and I think Detroit wins a bidding war on him. I think Benjamin is the best free agent WR available.

OT Andre Smith, had a very up and down career in Cincinnati, but would fill a huge hole in Detroit. His run blocking ability, could help Detroit’s new look offense, be more balanced.

DT Brandon Mebane, was usually pretty good in Seattle when he could stay healthy, which wasn’t all too often. I think he teams with a re-signed Haloti Ngata to form a solid interior on the d-line.

17. Atlanta-DE Shaq Lawson, solid all around DE. He and Vic Beasley give Atlanta a bright future when it comes to pressuring QBs, which is extra important when you have 6 games facing a reigning MVP, a 5,000 yard passer and an ascending #1 overall pick.

WR Marvin Jones, I think his market isn’t as big as people think. I’ve always thought of Jones as sort of a lesser Donald Driver kind of player, and that screams great #2 WR, not a #1. The Falcons desperately need another target though, so I think they’ll be willing to potentially overspend to get one. I also think they find a way to keep Roddy White around for 1 final season.

OG Alex Boone, an excellent blocker in the run game, I think his ability to seal off defenders up to the second level will appeal to the Falcons zone blocking scheme.

S Andrew Sandejo, William Moore is a better player, but just didn’t fit what Dan Quinn wants in a safety. Sandejo is a better fit, if lesser talent, and likely also quite a bit cheaper.

18. Indianapolis-ILB Darron Lee, inconsistent tackler, who has a knack for making big plays. Constantly running down plays from the backside. Could team up with Jurell Freeman, to provide Indy with their starting ILB’s for years to come.

TE Coby Fleener, I think he’s clearly the favorite to stay over Dwayne Allen. He’s quietly improved as a blocker over the years, and likely hasn’t peaked as a receiver yet.

OG Jeff Allen, Frank Gore is closing in on AARP age by RB standards, but he still looked ok to me this year, the problem was that the interior of line couldn’t block anyone. Allen isn’t a pro bowler by any means, but would be a significant upgrade on Hugh Thornton.

CB Tracy Porter, Greg Toler is unlikely to return, and may not have been the best fit with the defense anyway. Porter, while undersized by Pagano’s usual standards, is a much better man coverage CB than Toler.

19. Buffalo-OG Cody Whitehair, I think he’s an excellent guard prospect, guards just don’t tend to be drafted very highly, except for last year of course. Whitehair has a lot of the same strengths that Zack Martin has, and could have a similar effect on Buffalo’s running game, especially with Incognito likely to chase the money in free agency.

WR Anquan Boldin, Buffalo doesn’t have much cap room, even after they cut Mario Williams. They likely will extend Cordy Glenn and Tyrod Taylor, which means they will be discount shopping. I think Boldin is a guy who won’t have a huge price tag, but could be a huge addition for them as someone to make defenses pay for selling out to stop Sammy Watkins.

OLB Tahir Whitehead, a versatile young player, Whitehead never really got as much appreciation as he deserved in Detroit. I think a change of scenery will do him good. His run stopping ability will greatly appeal to Rex Ryan, as he tends to lean more toward all around players, than pass rushers, trusting in his scheming ability more than most coaches do.

CB Jeremy Lane, Lane struck out in Seattle after being asked to replace Byron Maxwell. I think lane’s future is as a nickel CB, and despite having a CB who has the name Nickell, its still a hole that Buffalo could target Lane to fill.

20. New York Jets-DT Vernon Butler, the Jets are in a world of hurt salary cap wise, and would be nuts to let Muhammed Wilkerson go, that likely means in addition to Fitzpatrick, that Damon Harrison is highly unlikely to return. Butler could be a replacement for Harrison, with upside to eventually be an upgrade.

RB Chris Ivory, I think he’ll come back cheaply, the market is so saturated at RB, that somebody will get shafted and Ivory seems like the best candidate. I could see him taking a 1 year deal, and trying again next year. The Jets will be happy to have him back as they likely will be starting Geno Smith, who beat Fitzpatrick out in camp last year, or maybe even Bryce Petty who they are high on at QB. Wouldn’t surprise me if Powell returned as well, for similar reasons.

OT Jordan Mills, looked like the Bears RT for years to come 2 years ago, has since bounced around a bit. I think he can still be a decent swing tackle, and if he can show that play he showed back in 2012, maybe push Giancomo at RT.

ILB Derrick Johnson, this is a bit of a bigger ticket item, but Johnson is on the wrong side of 30, and may have a depressed market because of it. His coverage skills will greatly appeal to Todd Bowles, as he prefers coverage LBs to run stuffers unlike his predecessor. The Chiefs are another team that will likely lose a lot of their own guys due to cap issues, and I think Johnson won’t be a big priority for them.

21. Arizona-QB Carson Wentz, the Cards trade up for their QB of the future. Carson Wentz is actually very similar in a lot of ways to Carson Palmer, but is not an NFL ready QB coming from North Dakota State. I think he sits behind Palmer for 2 years before he gets the keys to the offense, ala Philip Rivers.

OG Ramon Foster, Jonathan Cooper has been a huge bust, and Ted Larsen is just a guy. Foster upgrades RG, and gives the Cardinals run game a huge boost.

OLB Tamba Hali, can’t see the Chiefs keeping him, especially with Dee Ford ready to start. Hali steps right in to the Cards starting lineup as they continue getting solid play from former stars at OLB.

CB Will Blackmon, adds some depth with Powers likely leaving and Honey Badger questionable for the start of the season.

22. Houston-DE Jonathan Bullard, too many times watching Texans games, you can see teams sliding all their blocking towards J.J. Watt, because they aren’t afraid of anyone else. Clowney was supposed to change that, and still might, but more help would be nice. Bullard on the other end spot, uses power and size to shed blocks and make plays. He could really help to even out some of opposing teams blocking schemes.

QB Sam Bradford, they can’t stick with Hoyer, not as a starter anyway, not after arguably as bad a playoff performance by anyone not named Jake Delhomme has ever had. Bradford has a higher floor, and a much higher ceiling than Hoyer. He’s also never had a WR even close to as good as DeAndre Hopkins.

RB Alfred Morris, the Texans have tired of Arian Foster’s injury woes and high salary. Morris has neither of those issues, and is a somewhat similar runner to Foster, although obviously nowhere near as good of an all around RB. RBBC in Houston with Morris at the top seems likely.

S Michael Griffin, still a decent safety, just nowhere near worth what the Titans were paying him. Texans have had a hole at safety since Glover Quin left.

23. Minnesota-WR Sterling Shepard, Mike Wallace is a lock to be cut, and Stefon Diggs, while a nice find, is likely more of a #2 WR. Shepard does a lot of the same things Diggs does, but much better. He was Pro Football Focus #1 WR in college football last year, and Mike Mayock has compared him to Randall Cobb. Ultimately the Vikings only care if he can win 1-on-1’s and he can do that consistently.

OT Mitchell Schwartz, was overshadowed in Cleveland by Joe Thomas, like every OT would be, but Schwartz looks like a top notch player in his own right. I expect the Vikings to move either Kalil or Loadholt to guard this year, they may cut one of them but the Vikings are very loyal to homegrown players. Either way I think Schwartz is an upgrade for the Vikes.

OLB Chad Greenway, along those same lines, I expect Greenway to return, and to return as a starter. His leadership is held in high regard by Mike Zimmer, and frankly, I doubt there is going to be a bidding war for his services.

S William Moore, a really good safety who, for whatever reason, Dan Quinn seemed to want to pigeonhole into being Kam Chancellor. I feel comfortable saying Mike Zimmer gets a lot more out of him.

24. Cincinnati-WR Josh Doctson, only issue may be a lack of high end speed, but has outstanding hands and is 6-4 with great ball tracking skills. He reminds me a bit of pre-knee injury Sidney Rice.

OLB Emmanuel Lamur, the Bengals aren’t going to be big spenders so they will likely try to resign their own Lamur is ready for a starting job, and at the very least could start during Burfict’s suspension

CB Terrance Newman, Newman is on record saying he will only play for Mike Zimmer or Marvin Lewis. Lewis needs him more. PacMan and Leon Hall are both likely to get bigger deals elsewhere, leaving unproven former 1st rounders Dre Kirkpatrick and

Darqueeze Dennard as all they have. Its time for them to sink or swim, but Newman would be a good insurance policy.

S Rodney McLeod, not quite as good as George Iloka, but a good replacement, opposite Reggie Nelson, whom I think retaining will be the Bengals #1 offseason priority.

25. Pittsburgh-Jared Goff, the big curveball of the draft. I think Pittsburgh was the best team in the NFL in 2015, they were just never healthy enough to prove it. Ben Roethlisberger is going into his 13th season, and takes an inordinate number of monster hits. They can’t win in the playoffs with Landry Jones, and they really don’t have a ton of needs, when everyone is healthy. I think they roll the dice here, besides who is to say when Goff is up in 4-5 years, that Roethlisberger is still going strong. This could be an Aaron Rodgers kind of situation.

OG Evan Mathis, I expect Ramon Foster to cash in as a free agent. Mathis has proven his value time and time again, but is always undervalued, I doubt Denver is able to retain him.

CB Trumaine Johnson, a big ticket item here. The Rams are unlikely to hand out 2 big contracts at CB, and Janoris Jenkins is a bigger priority. Trumaine Johnson has long been an underrated player. He’s a solid B+ corner, and pairing him with William Gay and 2015 2nd rounder Senquez Golson would give the steelers a very solid CB trio.

S Isa Abdul-Quaddas, really came on down stretch for Detroit last year. He’s under the radar, but he’d be a big upgrade from Will Allen.

26. Seattle-CB Mackenzie Alexander, despite being under 6’ and 200 pounds, he has the physicality that Seattle craves from CB’s. Low 40-time for his size likely pushes him to the end of round 1, but just off his college play, he should be top-15.

WR Rishard Matthews, he’s a great fit for what Seattle wants from their WR’s, and is an upgrade from Jermaine Kearse, whom I think people are greatly overestimating his market. Matthews gives Seattle the personnel to operate in constant 3-WR sets.

OT Joe Barksdale, I think Russell Okung is Seattle’s biggest offseason priority, but RT is still a huge hole. Barksdale did a solid job in San Diego last year, at least compared to everyone else they had, and would have a much easier time in Seattle.

DT Adrian Clayborn, this a classic Seattle buy-low type of guy. He’ll play 30 snaps a game rotating at end and tackle and be a highly effective role player.

27. Green Bay-RB Derrick Henry, similar to Lacy, only with lesser receiving skills, and weight problems. Henry could give the Packers run game its edge back, and motivate Lacy to be his best, or outright replace him going forward.

TE Zach Miller, Green Bay needs a seam stretcher, and Richard Rodgers isn’t it, except on hail marys apparently. Many think Miller takes Bennett’s job in Chicago, but I doubt it, bennett is far superior, but was just never healthy last season. Miller had a nice few games and in an offense like the Packers have, could be really dangerous, as the best seam stretcher they’ve had since Jermichael Finley retired.

NT Damon Harrison, the coaching staff recently called out the front office, essentially demanding a big ticket free agent this offseason. I think this is it. A true top-notch nose tackle, massively upgrading from B.J. Raji.

ILB Craig Robertson, has excellent coverage skills, which it seems like Dom Capers prefers in his ILBs. He’s not nationally known, probably because he played for Cleveland, but he’s a good player. He’s better than Rolando McClain in my opinion, just not as well known. His addition combined with the possible exit of Nick Perry, could lead to Clay Matthews moving back outside.

28. Kansas City-OT Travis Decker, the Chiefs need tackle help, and are unlikely to address it in free agency, as they have very little cap space after locking up Kelce, and need to re-sign Eric Berry. Decker could potentially start at either tackle spot, though Fisher is likely to stay on the left side.

WR Reuben Randle, the Chiefs need to add more WR depth, and Randle seems like a nice cheap upside flier. If Conley isn’t ready, I could see Randle beating out Albert Wilson for the #2 opposite Maclin.

CB Patrick Robinson, had a rebound year with San Diego, I think the Chiefs will spend what little they have left, trying to replace Sean Smith. Robinson is a downgrade, but the size of the drop off is more ladder than cliff.

S James Ihedigbo, another cheap flier. With Branch and Abdullah leaving, Ihedigbo helps soften the blow.

29. Washington-ILB Leonard Floyd, can probably play any LB position, but fits best inside in my opinion. He would do some good to add about 20 pounds to his frame, if he can do that, without losing much quickness, he could be a poor man’s Clay Matthews.

RB Chris Johnson, I think Matt Jones enters 2016 as the starter, but he wsn’t all that impressive this year, and needs to be pushed. They seem to want Morris gone, so Johnson make for a good outaide the organization fit. He played well in 2015, and seemed to realize he couldn’t skate by on speed anymore. If he can keep that up, this could be a successful RBBC.

OG Richie Incognito, big ticket item here. Part of Jones’ problem last year, was that the interior of the line got pushed around, Incognito would put a quick end to that. Buffalo has bigger fish to fry, so the Bills loss is Washington’s gain.

NT Jaye Howard, somewhat undersized, Howard nonetheless is a great player, with a motor that never stops. Another victim of the Chiefs cap woes, Howard could flourish in a full-time role Washington.

30. Carolina-DE Kyler Fackrell, looks like a Connor Barwin clone, with maybe more quickness, as he gets another year removed from ACL surgery. I think he fits best as an end if he gains 15 pounds or so. Jared Allen feels like a retirement to me, so Carolina drafts Fackrell to rotate at end with Charles Johnson and Kony Ealy.

OT Chris Hairston, solid swing lineman with a chance to push Oher if he reverts to previous form. He filled in ok in San Diego last year.

CB Brandon Boykin, finally gets his wish to start on the outside opposite Josh Norman. We’ll see if he’s up for it, but if he is, it’s a nice long-term upgrade from Peanut Tillman.

S Roman Harper, biggest re-sign priority after Norman. Harper was a key part of their NFC best defense.

31. Denver-Paxton Lynch, has ideal size, arm strength and mobility, but has a lot of fundamental issues. A little bit of Ryan Tannehill to his game, where he can look like a pro bowl QB and a complete mess in the same series. Osweiler likely returns as the starter, but Denver is unlikely to view him as the future of the QB position.

RB James Starks, Denver may be as up against the cap as anyone, especially once Von Miller is re-signed, so they’ll hunt for bargains. Ronnie Hillman was a disaster down the stretch, constantly killing drives with poor vision and blocking. Starks isn’t close to as explosive as Hillman, but does those 2 things a ton better. That’s what Denver wants from their RBs.

OT Bobby Massie, injuries had hurt Denver in consecutive years at OT, Massie is a decent player, and could be an upgrade at RT, if 2nd year OT Ty Sambrailo can’t get healthy.

ILB Erin Henderson, out of football in 2014, was a decent contributor for the Jets in 2015. I think he can be had cheaply enough for Denver to acquire. Could compete for the role filled by Danny Trevathan.

32. New England has no 1st rounder, so I saved them for last, I expect them to be extra active in free agency both because of the lack of 1st round pick, and the thinking that they are nearing the end of their window:

C Alex Mack, Mack is a pro bowl caliber center, and wants off of Cleveland to play for a contender. Not many better definitions of contender than New England.

RB Arian Foster, a perfect fit for this offense, is a great short yardage runner and pass catcher, 2 things the Pats value highly. Huge upgrade from Blount, and possibly a value because of a deep RB free agent pool, and his own injury. Likely would cede 3rd down work to Dion Lewis.

WR Muhammed Sanu, the Pats type of WR. Versatile, good after the catch. I think Amendola takes a pay cut to stay, because who else is paying him that much? Edelman, Amendola, LaFell and Sanu makes for a fine WR core, likely Edelman and then a rotation at the #2 spot.

TE Dwayne Allen, New England likes to run a lot of multiple TE sets, and Scott Chandler, was decent, but didn’t live up to expectations. Dwayne Allen looks like a better fit, and only likely a slightly higher cost.

Nice write up.

I don't think San Fran trades up to get Treadwell

I don't think Cleveland goes after Wallace or RG3, it is the Browns though and maybe they haven't learned anything with Gordon, and Manziel

I don't think Forte ends up in Dallas. The Patriots seem like the no brainer spot.

I don't think Detroit is going to pay big dollars to Benjamin.

Goff would have to have a terrible fall for Pittsburgh to go get him.

I do like Allen to the Patriots, he fits them perfectly, good blocker, unselfish player that won't mind being 2nd fiddle to Gronk.

What do you have San Fran trading to get #1? I'd assume next year's first +?

Thanks for the read, you clearly put a lot of thought into it.

I don't think Forte ends up in Dallas. The Patriots seem like the no brainer spot.
I've heard that Pats idea from a few people and I think its kinda wishful thinking. Don't see New England getting into a bidding war on a RB, and I don't see Forte accepting significantly less money to play for New England.

I had Tenneseee getting the 7 pick, the 49ers 2nd rounder this year, and in 2017, for the #1 pick.

Eagles have more needs than DT for sure, though they are not in a great spot to get them unless they trade down. It's interesting, though I think unlikely.

Getting an interior lineman and safety in FA make a lot of sense. Have a hard time seeing kaepernick. Pederson is probably going to want to run a short passing game and I don't see kaepernick doing that particularly well.

Yes I applaud the effort but if the Eagles idea is any indication of other teams insights then you're way off. Also, Foles is probably not a fan of Kelly at this point and he certainly made his opinions on Nick very clear when he dumped him last year.

Appreciate the effort and there are cool ideas in here but a ton is way off. No way the Ravens sign Hardy. Titans wont go from 1 to 7 for 2 second rounders that's nuts and SF doesn't need to go to 1 to get treadwell, he could easily drop to them if they stay put.

Nice job. A lot of work went into this.

On the Jets-

Fitzpatrick is unlikely to leave IMO. He seems to love the Jets and the Jets love him. I think they get something done

They will tag Wilkerson, he's not going anywhere. Snacks may be gone but depending on the shape they are in after releasing some guys like Cromartie, Ivory, and Pace they may pony up, not sure.

I think they are more likely to resign Powell than Ivory. I'm pretty confidant they let Ivory walk

I think they will be looking at OLB in the draft. That seems to be their #1 priority even if Harrison leaves. They subscribe to best player available though so who knows who that will be for them.

I had Tenneseee getting the 7 pick, the 49ers 2nd rounder this year, and in 2017, for the #1 pick.
Two 2nds doesn't seem nearly enough to move from 1 to 7, from tunsil to Elliott. The Titans top priority should be to protect Mariota. The Titans would probably need more than the Giants gave to the chargers for Eli - 1.05, this year's 3rd-round pick, next year's 1st and 5th. And then it would depend on the player available. I like Elliott and he fits a need but not the most important one right now. Ronnie Stanley might get it done.

Appreciate the effort and there are cool ideas in here but a ton is way off. No way the Ravens sign Hardy. Titans wont go from 1 to 7 for 2 second rounders that's nuts and SF doesn't need to go to 1 to get treadwell, he could easily drop to them if they stay put.
He should (though might not) be gone by 7 but if San Fran moves to 1 it would probably be for Wentz.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Tunsil, the two QBs, and Bosa and Ramsey, I don't see why Treadwell can't fall.

Word round the draftnik campfire is that he is going to run 4.6 at the combine. I don't think people trade up in the tip 10 for a 4.6 WR.

RG3 can be had at a "fraction of the price" of a rookie QB? How?

Ya, no... Browns arent touching RG3

Good unique take overall tho

The Texans fans will revolt if we pick a defensive lineman again in the first round. There are gaping holes all over the offense and it wouldn't surprise me to see nearly the entire draft spent on offense. We need a QB, RB, TE, OT, and DT long before we need another DE.

I've long advocated the Texans pursue Matt Forte hard because he fits the mold of how they wish their RB play to be (vs. many fans thinking they draft Elliot in the first round) and grab either the QB or OT in the first round at 22 depending upon who's there. Of the QBs, I personally have it Goff, Wentz, Hogan, Prescott, Cook, Lynch, Hackenberg and would be shocked if Goff falls and they don't take him there. I will be nauseous if the Texans sit around and wait on Hackenberg in a later round.

I've heard that Pats idea from a few people and I think its kinda wishful thinking. Don't see New England getting into a bidding war on a RB, and I don't see Forte accepting significantly less money to play for New England.
Most reports don't think Forte is going to get a lot of money, and I think he would take less money to try to be a winner. How often does a running back actually get paid his full contract? He just did with the Bears.

Most reports don't think Forte is going to get a lot of money, and I think he would take less money to try to be a winner. How often does a running back actually get paid his full contract? He just did with the Bears.
"most reports?" Other than Mike Reiss, who has suggested this?

I wouldn't expect Forte to get $8M, but that doesn't mean he's going to the Pats is a foregone conclusions.

They let Vereen walk last year, & he only got 3 yrs/$12M. They didn't re-sign Ridley, and he only got a 1 year/$1.25M deal. They only traded for Blount when he was willing to cut his salary to a little over $1M, then they let Blount go when they wouldn't meet the 2 year/$3.85M offered by the Steelers, and he only got re-signed by NE for a 2 year/$1.73M contract. They let BJGE walk a few years ago & he only got 3 years/$9M from Cincy. They currently have Lewis signed to a 3 year/$3M contract.

Basically, the Pats don't seem to value the RB position much. Unless you predict that changing drastically, I wouldn't expect them to offer more than $2M/year (& that might be pushing it). While Forte isn't going to get Murray money, he can likely command more than that from other teams; some of which give him a pretty good chance of winning a title (Dallas, Indy, GB, Seattle are all teams that could use his skills as much as NE & could have pretty good shots at the SB next year).

It's nice to see a unique mock but this one is way out there. I don't see the Chargers passing on Tunsil. I really can't see the first QB taken outside the top 10 and certainly not until pick 21. Where's Raglund? A'Shawn Robinson? Those are just a couple of guys with solid 1st round grades that I don't see in your mock. I will throw up if the Packers take Derrick Henry in the first round guy is going to be a bust. The Packers could use another RB but more of a 3rd down receiving back. Nice effort even if I don't agree on a lot of it.

I wouldn't expect Forte to get $8M, but that doesn't mean he's going to the Pats is a foregone conclusions.

They let Vereen walk last year, & he only got 3 yrs/$12M. They didn't re-sign Ridley, and he only got a 1 year/$1.25M deal. They only traded for Blount when he was willing to cut his salary to a little over $1M, then they let Blount go when they wouldn't meet the 2 year/$3.85M offered by the Steelers, and he only got re-signed by NE for a 2 year/$1.73M contract. They let BJGE walk a few years ago & he only got 3 years/$9M from Cincy. They currently have Lewis signed to a 3 year/$3M contract.

Basically, the Pats don't seem to value the RB position much. Unless you predict that changing drastically, I wouldn't expect them to offer more than $2M/year (& that might be pushing it). While Forte isn't going to get Murray money, he can likely command more than that from other teams; some of which give him a pretty good chance of winning a title (Dallas, Indy, GB, Seattle are all teams that could use his skills as much as NE & could have pretty good shots at the SB next year).
Those backs all are limited too, none of them was a possible 3 down back. I could see them offering around 3 million for 3 years and I could see him taking that offer even though the Cowboys offer 3 years at 12 million.

The life of a 30-year-old back," added Fowler. On February 5, Forte told NFL Network's Lindsay Rhodes that "it ain't about the money ... I'm trying to get a Super Bowl." Forte's market shouldn't become overly pricey, and it sounds like he's satisfied with that. Forte is Rotoworld's No. 2 free agent running back, behind Doug Martin and just ahead of Lamar Miller.

Those backs all are limited too, none of them was a possible 3 down back. I could see them offering around 3 million for 3 years and I could see him taking that offer even though the Cowboys offer 3 years at 12 million.

The life of a 30-year-old back," added Fowler. On February 5, Forte told NFL Network's Lindsay Rhodes that "it ain't about the money ... I'm trying to get a Super Bowl." Forte's market shouldn't become overly pricey, and it sounds like he's satisfied with that. Forte is Rotoworld's No. 2 free agent running back, behind Doug Martin and just ahead of Lamar Miller.
But there were other FA backs available over the last 5-6 years who were possible 3-down RBs, and NE didn't sign any of them; they haven't invested even $2M/year in any 1 RB, including Dion Lewis, who showed a lot earlier this year; they haven't committed to more than 2 years to any RB (except Lewis), barring rookies, either. But you expect them to commit $3M per year and 3 years to a 31 year-old RB?

It's possible, but IMO it's not likely. And, as I mentioned, those other teams offer Forte a pretty good shot at a ring, too; so while he might value a ring more than money, NE isn't the only place where that might factor in.

There is no way in hell SF trades up to #1 to pick a WR. Some GMs are really dumb but that would be the dumbest move in the history of the NFL draft. 1st off, the guy is FAR from being the #1 overall as far as talent, 2nd, TENN would never risk dropping that far and lose out on Tunsil, who CLE or especially SD would absolutely say 'thank you for being so stupid, TENN, we'll take Tunsil.'

Were you drunk writing this or is this just one of those 'lets see how crazy I can be' predictions? Goff all the way to 22? :lmao: The guy is gone in the top 5 picks. Wentz is gone before 21 and Lynch is gone before 31. Most likely all 3 are gone in the 1st 10 picks.

Titans will take Tunsil at #1. Forte will wind up with the Jets or be paired with Gore at Indy. That would be good option for him to win a ring.

I could see Patriots trading up in 2nd round to take Henry to replace Blount. They have Lewis coming back and White for insurance.

Titans will take Tunsil at #1. Forte will wind up with the Jets or be paired with Gore at Indy. That would be good option for him to win a ring.

I could see Patriots trading up in 2nd round to take Henry to replace Blount. They have Lewis coming back and White for insurance.
Indy would be a good option to win the super bowl? Maybe but they have to get a lot better on defense first.

Hope they address in draft or free agency. But they need better o-line also. Luck will be healthy next year. In that weak division they have a chance.

Hope they address in draft or free agency. But they need better o-line also. Luck will be healthy next year. In that weak division they have a chance.
They clearly have a good chance to make the playoffs and anything can happen (in theory anyway) but their defense just isn't championship caliber. If Forte's main goal is to get a ring, he'd be better off signing with Seattle (pair him with Rawls), NE, or a few others.

Likely won't happen but put him in the backfield with cam, Olsen and j stew and he'd probably be very productive.

I appreciate the time and effort put into the original post, obviously one can not know all the tendencies of every team. I am just going to comment on the Jaguars as that is the team I follow most closely.

If the draft goes as you have laid out, the Jaguars will not go with Tunsil even though he may be the best player. The Jaguars are going to focus on improving their defence. The pick to be made would be DE Buckner from Oregon.

I don't think the Jaguars would go after a TE in free agency unless they can't get Marcedes Lewis to sign a deal for less money. I feel Lewis would sign for less to remain in Jacksonville. Even if Julius Thomas doesn't play 16 games, they seem to be comfortable with using their other backup TE's for short term needs.

Users who are viewing this thread