What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Stock Value Strategy Starts Now (1 Viewer)

added 5,000 more SBLK @ $1.22

Very close to all in on the Dry Shippers now. Unless a big rally starts soon, I will hold through April/May and redetermine my strategy then.

I pulled the FAS stop since it is way higher than that in pre-Market trading. This looks like a great day for most of our stocks here. Oil is up in pre-market after a very good API inventory report. Baltic Dry Index is up and so are the Shippers in the pre-market. Even FAS and the financials are rallying.

Year to date profit = $10,160

Holding these positions - Not Realized Gains/Losses (Shippers are rallying strong right now)

1000 PRGN @ 3.02 (current price 3.25) - Profit = $230

4000 EXM @ 3.36 (current price 3.70) - Profit = $1,360

8000 NM @ 1.99 (current price 2.12) - Profit = $1,040

13000 SBLK @ 1.74 (current price 1.31) - Loss = $5,590

I plan to sell the Dry Shipping companies in May based on what happened last year

Last edited by a moderator:
Year to date profit = $10,160

Holding these positions - Not Realized Gains/Losses (Shippers are rallying strong right now)

1000 PRGN @ 3.02 (current price 3.25) - Profit = $230

4000 EXM @ 3.36 (current price 3.70) - Profit = $1,360

8000 NM @ 1.99 (current price 2.12) - Profit = $1,040

13000 SBLK @ 1.74 (current price 1.31) - Loss = $5,590

I plan to sell the Dry Shipping companies in May based on what happened last year
You are set up very nicely for a rebound and little downside at this point.

Wow, my portfolio is on fire today (yesterday's close, price right now)

1000 PRGN (2.87, 3.14)

4000 EXM (3.29, 3.99)

8000 NM (1.82, 2.23)

13000 SBLK (1.20, 1.45)

All told this portfolio is up $9,600 from yesterday's close

1000 PRGN (2.87, 3.14)

4000 EXM (3.29, 3.99)

8000 NM (1.82, 2.23)

13000 SBLK (1.20, 1.45)

:) Glad to see the green returning to the numbers and gone from the faces.

1000 PRGN (2.87, 3.14)

4000 EXM (3.29, 3.99)

8000 NM (1.82, 2.23)

13000 SBLK (1.20, 1.45)

You've gotta consider moving some of this now...assuming that there will be more fluctuations in the stock price before summer? I wish that I was in this position. I'm still under water on EXM and UCO.

I'm still holding 4,000 shares of UCO at an ave price of 8.99. Not sure what to do...I sure don't want to take a 4K loss, but I don't want to sit and hold this forever either as I have far too much capital exposed. I keep thinking that Oil has got to get back up to the $50 range and then should be able to get out at a profit, but this is a funny little ETF.Any thoughts will be considered and appreciated.
Crome, have you considered doing a covered call today on UCO? With the price back up you can get a pretty decent premium on those. Write them for a strike price when figuring in your premium you will collect that will get you close to even or make you a little profit. If UCO were to fall again, at least you'd still have the premium collected to average down your cost. I did this by writing some covered calls with a strike of 9. If you're wanting more up front money with a lower strike, you could write March 7.50 contracts right now that would pay you $1.10/share. If it falls below $7.50 on the expiration day you keep the $1.10. If UCO closes above $7.50 that day then essentially you've sold the shares for $8.60 and are out with a minimal loss.
Did this today with the 7.50 contracts. Will look to Buy to Close at some point in the next 2~3 weeks before expiration and lock in some of the premium to lower my cost basis. I'm wondering if it would have been better to sell the 9's. We'll see.
Bought to close on Monday when UCO got clobbered. Made a 50% gain on those options. Sold some 9.00 contracts today that I expect will likely expire worthless and get my cost basis down into the mid-8's. In the unlikely event UCO pops back above 9 somehow I get out with a modest gain. The current contracts expire in two weeks, will sell some more then.~~~~~~WFC is getting absolutely clobbered today on an up day for the whole market. I continue to watch this one.

Cromedog said:

1000 PRGN (2.87, 3.14)

4000 EXM (3.29, 3.99)

8000 NM (1.82, 2.23)

13000 SBLK (1.20, 1.45)

You've gotta consider moving some of this now...assuming that there will be more fluctuations in the stock price before summer? I wish that I was in this position. I'm still under water on EXM and UCO.
I really think this sector is still way too cheap and also believe some institutional money (that all left a few weeks ago) will start returning. I am in this stuff until May or at least until it rises a lot more. Hard to sit and hold after these gains, but I love this sector.

I bought 500 WFC at 9.30. I wish I had been watching this closer today when it dipped below 9.0. Stops set at 8.00 and 9.95.(edited to a lower stop). This feels like a bottom to me though at least for a bit). I may sell tomorrow though if I can get a small profit. I am betting on this going up in the aftermarket at least.

I'm still holding 4,000 shares of UCO at an ave price of 8.99. Not sure what to do...I sure don't want to take a 4K loss, but I don't want to sit and hold this forever either as I have far too much capital exposed. I keep thinking that Oil has got to get back up to the $50 range and then should be able to get out at a profit, but this is a funny little ETF.Any thoughts will be considered and appreciated.
Crome, have you considered doing a covered call today on UCO? With the price back up you can get a pretty decent premium on those. Write them for a strike price when figuring in your premium you will collect that will get you close to even or make you a little profit. If UCO were to fall again, at least you'd still have the premium collected to average down your cost. I did this by writing some covered calls with a strike of 9. If you're wanting more up front money with a lower strike, you could write March 7.50 contracts right now that would pay you $1.10/share. If it falls below $7.50 on the expiration day you keep the $1.10. If UCO closes above $7.50 that day then essentially you've sold the shares for $8.60 and are out with a minimal loss.
Did this today with the 7.50 contracts. Will look to Buy to Close at some point in the next 2~3 weeks before expiration and lock in some of the premium to lower my cost basis. I'm wondering if it would have been better to sell the 9's. We'll see.
Bought to close on Monday when UCO got clobbered. Made a 50% gain on those options. Sold some 9.00 contracts today that I expect will likely expire worthless and get my cost basis down into the mid-8's. In the unlikely event UCO pops back above 9 somehow I get out with a modest gain. The current contracts expire in two weeks, will sell some more then.~~~~~~WFC is getting absolutely clobbered today on an up day for the whole market. I continue to watch this one.
Good move. I'm still sitting on 420 shares of UCO, have 4 covered calls written on them. If the 9's were to hit I'm out with a gain, otherwise my cost is continuing to dwindle.

OK this is just getting nuts as my Dry Shippers sky rocket here. It is taking every ounce of self control I have here to not sell.

1000 PRGN (2.87, 3.44)

4000 EXM (3.29, 4.26)

8000 NM (1.82, 2.32)

13000 SBLK (1.20, 1.52)

All told this portfolio is up $12,610 from yesterday's close

Good move. I'm still sitting on 420 shares of UCO, have 4 covered calls written on them. If the 9's were to hit I'm out with a gain, otherwise my cost is continuing to dwindle.
If UCO hovers in this 6~8 range for the next few weeks I'm hoping I'll be able to sell some ITM 7.5's that will get my cost basis down close to that strike. I'm just trying to stop some the bleeding that took place when they rolled over the futures contracts. If I can get back to even I'll consider that a win.

Crazy times DD. Like I said, these stocks have been all over the map. Such volatility. SBLK is up nearly 25% TODAY. DRYS up 35%.

If UCO hovers in this 6~8 range for the next few weeks I'm hoping I'll be able to sell some ITM 7.5's that will get my cost basis down close to that strike. I'm just trying to stop some the bleeding that took place when they rolled over the futures contracts. If I can get back to even I'll consider that a win.
I'm with you here. I got so upside down so fast on UCO it was amazing. I had a sell order in while I was ahead but backed off when my online broker basically said I was selling under "free ride" rules which could lead to an account freezing. Ever since that morning UCO was all downhill. I think I've mitigated the downside as best I can right here and a rally to 9 would lead to a slight profit. Like you, if it starts hovering in this range I'll just continuously write covered calls until I'm in it at an attractive price.Most of my moves are still involving GLD, SLV, and DBO. I have the little bit of UCO discussed, some DBC, and also a little GE. Luckily I have very little GE and what I have I'm under 9 in so it's not the total bloodbath it could be.

and out of Wells Fargo at 9.95...Damn that was way too easy. Maybe I should have pulled the stop to get in aftermarket bounce.

Profit = .65 x 500 shares = $325 - 12 commissions

from Dry Shipping Board so no link:

China could double its existing $585 billion stimulus package and a rebound in the country's measure of manufacturing sparked a huge rally in Shanghai that spilled over to European and North American stocks.

MLPs getting crushed today - bought some more KMP and EPD.Also bought a bit of BBT hoping for a bounce - woops. Pure panic out there as BBT is about the strongest bank in the country and has been raising its dividend. But I'll take 12% until it pops.
Know anything about ATN? They got crushed this week and last, after what looked like pretty good results. Been looking at them for a while.

Year to date profit = $10,473

Holding these positions - Not Realized Gains/Losses

1000 PRGN @ 3.02 (current price 3.44) - Profit = $420

4000 EXM @ 3.36 (current price 4.35) - Profit = $3,960

8000 NM @ 1.99 (current price 2.37) - Profit = $3,040

13000 SBLK @ 1.74 (current price 1.48) - Loss = $3,380

Overall unrealized gains/losses = +$4,040

Damn, what a great day for me.

I plan to sell the Dry Shipping companies in May based on what happened last year.

Year to date profit = $10,473

Holding these positions - Not Realized Gains/Losses

1000 PRGN @ 3.02 (current price 3.44) - Profit = $420

4000 EXM @ 3.36 (current price 4.35) - Profit = $3,960

8000 NM @ 1.99 (current price 2.37) - Profit = $3,040

13000 SBLK @ 1.74 (current price 1.48) - Loss = $3,380

Overall unrealized gains/losses = +$4,040

Damn, what a great day for me.

I plan to sell the Dry Shipping companies in May based on what happened last year.
I will be following your lead. I've got around 30% of my holdings in SBLK. Glad I doubled down on OIL a few days ago. Great timing there for me as oil was under $40. It's now above $45 and gained around 8% today. Keep it rolling and I'll be in the green again soon.

David Dodds said:
OK this is just getting nuts as my Dry Shippers sky rocket here. It is taking every ounce of self control I have here to not sell.Wow, my portfolio is on fire today (yesterday's close, price right now)

1000 PRGN (2.87, 3.44)

4000 EXM (3.29, 4.26)

8000 NM (1.82, 2.32)

13000 SBLK (1.20, 1.52)

All told this portfolio is up $12,610 from yesterday's close
:mellow:

I am heading out of town for a few days here. I decided not to set any stops, etc. I love the Dry Shipping sector and feel like with the China news yesterday and the Panamex shipping rates increasing by 10% yesterday that this is where I prefer my money be right now. So good or bad, I think I really am going to just hang on here for the ride and see where all of this looks on Monday at least.

Where do you guys trade that allows trades under $5? I have a Scottrade account, and I'm pretty sure I can only buy stocks above $5.

Where do you guys trade that allows trades under $5? I have a Scottrade account, and I'm pretty sure I can only buy stocks above $5.
Scottrade allows stocks under $5.
I think you're right. I found this on their website. Apparently I read this wrong when I originally signed up:"You can trade any stocks listed on the NASDAQ, NYSE or AMEX stock exchanges. You can also trade ETF's and market indexes. As long as the stock price is $0.25 per share or higher you can buy it. Short selling is allowed for stocks $3.00 or higher. Buying stocks on margin (loan) priced less than $5.00 is not permitted."

MLPs getting crushed today - bought some more KMP and EPD.Also bought a bit of BBT hoping for a bounce - woops. Pure panic out there as BBT is about the strongest bank in the country and has been raising its dividend. But I'll take 12% until it pops.
Bought some BBT today at roughly $14. Could have caught it as low as $13.25. This will be a long term hold. 13.4% return via dividend if it holds.

I am heading out of town for a few days here. I decided not to set any stops, etc. I love the Dry Shipping sector and feel like with the China news yesterday and the Panamex shipping rates increasing by 10% yesterday that this is where I prefer my money be right now. So good or bad, I think I really am going to just hang on here for the ride and see where all of this looks on Monday at least.
uh, how you lookin today dave...

Nasdaq sinking brought Dry Shippers down as well on profit taking, but I think it is short-lived.

The BDI increased to 2167 (+3.98%) on 3/5 with these sub-indexes also up:

Baltic Supramax 1,653 (+3.12%)

Baltic Handysize 688 (+3.15%)

Baltic Dry 2,167 (+3.98%)

Baltic Capesize 2,830 (+0.43%)

Baltic Panamax 2,096 (+10.26%)

I remain convinced that these stocks are seriously devalued here and just need another day where the NASDAQ improves by a few percentage points coupled with an increase in the BDI.

Bought some BBT today at roughly $14. Could have caught it as low as $13.25. This will be a long term hold. 13.4% return via dividend if it holds.
I bought about 15% too early. I see forced selling and panic, though, so I'm holding.My MLP purchases are about even. With 10% tax reduced yields, holding the line is just fine by me.GLD and DBO doing just fine. Holding those for a while.

Man DXO looks good at $2 but I think it goes lower tomorrow. I really hope I'm right.
That thing is going to be an absolute rocket ship one of these days.
I agree but it has been too easy to trade these days. I would much rather buy & hold.Right now I would love to get 9000 shares at $1.85 or so.
####, I should have pullled the trigger at $2 yesterday.
:confused: :lmao: :XThings look to be stablizing. Looks. I think I have to buy at least half the next drop.

BassNBrew said:
Would someone explain the premise behind UCO to me? What is the downside to a buy and hold until summer?
Or at least point me to the proper spot in this thread where this has been discussed???Anyone???
Knock, knock???
I'll do my best but I'm just a gambler..Simply put, the price could go down. There is such a glut of oil right now that it has been in a relative tight trading range fro some time. Do a Google search on oil contango, that should help you out. It was discussed a lot in this thread towards the beggining.I'm with you though longer term. I think UCO & DXO are good buys.

I am guessing the reason no one has responded is that we got our arses handed to us by UCO.

I feel like barfing just typing those letters.

There were multiple articles from seekingalpha.com that explained the downside to holding USO. Try going and looking there.

I think one of the biggest lessons learned in this thread is that while we thought we had a handle on the movements of oil related ETFs, and thought there was no way they could fall further, we were wrong.

I am guessing the reason no one has responded is that we got our arses handed to us by UCO.

There were multiple articles from seekingalpha.com that explained the downside to holding USO. Try going and looking there.

I think one of the biggest lessons learned in this thread is that while we thought we had a handle on the movements of oil related ETFs, and thought there was no way they could fall further, we were wrong.
:thumbup: Luckily, I made it out alive. Twice.

More good info here too: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/090306/oil_prices.html

Personally, my trigger finger is getting more than itchy. I'm waiting for Monday though unless DXO somehow comes down to around where it started.

:goodposting: Luckily, I made it out alive. Twice.

More good info here too: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/090306/oil_prices.html

Personally, my trigger finger is getting more than itchy. I'm waiting for Monday though unless DXO somehow comes down to around where it started.
I got into UCO the day it puked from around $10, and was below $6 a couple days later. I got out today when it hit $8.10. I have promised myself not to mess with oil related ETF anymore. I am looking at the financial (FAS) and market index ETFs now. I have more confidence that they will be up over the long haul that the oil ETFs.

Users who are viewing this thread