What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (5 Viewers)

There was a grantland piece that had a part where the Detroit front 3 has been awful on the court together.
I think Lowe covered it. And it was completely forseeable, Smith works a lot better as a 4 than a 3. He's a miserable SF, and really has no business taking shots from outside.

Cheeks still had Drummond out there down 17 with 6 minutes to go, when he turned an ankle. Didn't look serious, but you've gotta wonder what he was thinking there.

Thunder @ GSW in primetime on Thu, btw. OKC plays tomorrow so I'd imagine GS will take it, but who knows.

All GS wins so far in double-digits. Of their three losses, two were on road B2B's to playoff teams, and the other was a 2 point road loss without their best player against the reigning WC champs. They haven't beaten any contenders yet (although killing Minnesota deserves some mention), but they've handled the likes of Detroit and Sacramento easily without ever looking like they were in trouble.

I, for one, am sorry that the monte Ellis and Brandon Jennings duo didn't have more time together.
It's a real shame.

It looks like Carlisle reminded Ellis of something he knew back when he as 22, but forgot: That he's much better when he's not jacking up 4 3's a game.

Of course, I'm sure suddenly sharing a backcourt with Curry would make it very hard for a G not to want to start taking more 3's.

Kinda weird that we're not talking Pacers in this thread, no?

I watched a good bit of Grizz-Pacers last night. Jeebus. Gun to my head I think I'd take the Pacers over the Heat in a seven game series right now.
Pacers almost did it last year and they just look to have gotten better.

Cappy - I will be in Orlando tomorrow through Saturday. Are you near the Waldorf Astoria in some creek or some such? That's where I will be if you want to grab a beer.
Nah, I live outside of the Clearwater area. Probably 90 minutes away-ish. Appreciate the offer though. That's a real nice place assuming you're staying there.
Cool. Just thought id ask as I don't make it that way often. :thumbup: It's a conference for IT folks and should be fun. We are getting bussed to the house of blues Thursday night I think and the conference doesn't start til noon each day. And yes that is where we are staying.
:thumbup: House of Blues is great. Even better when they don't have a big act on the bill. Usually a good jazz musician in there or something.

If you have independent transportation, go to four rivers BBQ. Best in the state. If you don't have independent transportation, take a cab.

Man and Parker looks better than Randle.

And Smart is in this draft. You could have the 6th pick and get a franchise player.

Truck > I heard about that Aussie, but I have to imagine the fans of whatever team gets him is going to be letdown at first.

Btw, Knicks traded their impending lottery pick in this draft, unprotected. I feel like I have to mention that almost every day.
top be fair to the Knicks the nuggets have the option of switching picks with them, but nuggets could be a bottom five team this year so if Knicks suck that Bargs trade could be an all time blunder.
Pretty sure the Knicks lose their pick regardless. Someone else (I think either Orlando or Philly) will get it.

And Smart is in this draft. You could have the 6th pick and get a franchise player.

Truck > I heard about that Aussie, but I have to imagine the fans of whatever team gets him is going to be letdown at first.

Btw, Knicks traded their impending lottery pick in this draft, unprotected. I feel like I have to mention that almost every day.
top be fair to the Knicks the nuggets have the option of switching picks with them, but nuggets could be a bottom five team this year so if Knicks suck that Bargs trade could be an all time blunder.
Pretty sure the Knicks lose their pick regardless. Someone else (I think either Orlando or Philly) will get it.
Magic get the lesser of the Nuggets/Knicks pick, unprotected. :wub:

Cappy - I will be in Orlando tomorrow through Saturday. Are you near the Waldorf Astoria in some creek or some such? That's where I will be if you want to grab a beer.
Nah, I live outside of the Clearwater area. Probably 90 minutes away-ish. Appreciate the offer though. That's a real nice place assuming you're staying there.
Cool. Just thought id ask as I don't make it that way often. :thumbup:

It's a conference for IT folks and should be fun. We are getting bussed to the house of blues Thursday night I think and the conference doesn't start til noon each day. And yes that is where we are staying.
Hopefully Big Baby won't be at the Waldorf this weekend.

From what I saw yesterday. My take on the 3 was that Randle is the most NBA ready, Parker is the best college player, and Wiggins is the best athlete. I think all 3 will be great NBA players with multiple All-Star appearances, and cam easily be justified as the first overall pick. I haven't seen Gordon or Exum yet, but with Smart in the mix, this is going to be an amazing draft. This Embiid kid has some tantilizating athleticism as well for a 7 footer, and I still think the Harrison twins will start to show more after a few games under their belts.

Gonna be a fantastic draft.

Kraft... said:
Faried to Knicks have any legs?
If it does I'm going to be pissed. Shump is a decent player but hardly a difference maker. This reminds me of the kofous trade if it happens, they are trying to trade him just so they can play their inferior signing from the off season.

Kraft... said:
Faried to Knicks have any legs?
If it does I'm going to be pissed. Shump is a decent player but hardly a difference maker. This reminds me of the kofous trade if it happens, they are trying to trade him just so they can play their inferior signing from the off season.
Just what the Knicks need for their spacing a front court of Chandler, Faried, and Anthony.

First 8 games of their career

Oladipo

37/91 FG (.407)

7/21 3PT (.333)

31 REB

25 AST

13 STL

Kobe

42/105 (.400)

4/22 (.182)

24 REB

24 AST

13 STL

Oladipo

37/91 FG (.407)

7/21 3PT (.333)

31 REB

25 AST

13 STL

Kobe

42/105 (.400)

4/22 (.182)

24 REB

24 AST

13 STL
He's come back to reality, but MCW through 8 games is

49/126 FG (.389)

15/38 3PT (.395)

43 REB

61 AST(24 TO)

21 STL

76ers beat Rockets in OT without MCW. :mellow: Didnt think the team had it in 'em.

20yo Tony Wrotten (18p/10r/11a)and 24yo James Anderson (36p on 6-83s) have career nights starting.

At this point, I dont see how in the world Philly will get the most lottery balls.

Suns are fun to watch. Bledsoe's an emerging star. Like watching the Bledsoe/Dragic backcourt. They got a lot of very good role players. Hornacek doing great job. Team plays with great effort and great defense. Hopefully soon he benches Channing Frye. Dude's made a nice comeback, but should only be playing bit minutes behind Markieff Morris. Frye made about as lazy a effort stopping dribble penetration as you'll ever see on Lillard's game winning uncontested layup.

I thought the Suns were a leading contender for the top pick. I really don't know that they're even in the 10 worst teams in the league come end of season. They were a Markieff Morris buzzer beater tip in (that hung on the rim before falling out) away from being 6-2 @ Portland. A Bledsoe injury could change things, but that guy is probably going to be in discussion for being one of the Top 15-20 players in the league by end of season. I had my questions going into the year but the guy is a stud PG in the making.

Game Note: Thomas Robinson looked great 2nite. The guy showed the potential 2nite to really make you wonder how he's been on 3 teams through 1 NBA season. He was the difference with the energy he brought in the Blazers winning tonight. Rockets should have kept him and dealt Asik when he had more value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Kyrie Irving have a not-so-good rep among other players? I ask because watching Derrick Rose and then Ricky Rubio go at him so hard makes me wonder if there is.

You can tell when a guy is competing against another player and when a guy is going at someone. Rose and Rubio seemed to be going at Irving.

Oladipo

37/91 FG (.407)

7/21 3PT (.333)

31 REB

25 AST

13 STL

Kobe

42/105 (.400)

4/22 (.182)

24 REB

24 AST

13 STL
What are you trying to do here mopes?
Just having some fun with tommy and trying a little bit to point out the ridiculousness of drawing any conclusions based on a players first 8 games. No matter if the player is 18 or 21 or named Kobe or not.

Jason Kidd looks to be a train wreck of a hire in New Jersey.

That team needs to get players to accept roles. Offense should run through Brook Lopez. Settle on a 2nd and 3rd option and go from there.

That team needs to get players to accept roles. Offense should run through Brook Lopez. Settle on a 2nd and 3rd option and go from there.
Overrated! I am glad they aren't doing well, but they do need to run the offense through Lopez.

Is it too early to talk about the Bobcats being in the playoff hunt????

Big Al could carry them with the shooters they have outside to spread the floor.

The appropriate roles for Garnett and Pierce are wearing suits and talking about the Celtics on NESN.

Rudy Gay leading the league in field goal attempts all while shooting .365 from the floor. Well done
He was pretty entertaining last night. After the debacle in Houston, he come out dead set on passing. He actually assisted on the first two baskets for Toronto. Guess he figured that was good enough so he returned to his repertoire of turn-around-fadeaway jumpers, holding the ball at the 3 point line for 15 seconds then taking the shot or driving the lane, getting triple teamed and never once looking for the pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Al could carry them with the shooters they have outside to spread the floor.
It's never too early to talk about the Bobcats being in the playoff hunt (it might even be the case that we need to talk about it early because we can't do it later on).

Though, the part about shooters outside is going to be tough. Their best outside shooters might be McBob and Tolliver (aside from Gordon who isn't playing at all). I'm pretty thankful for them, actually, and think they should both pair up nicely with Al. Really like McBob. Still only 26. He can spread the floor and pass pretty well.

Al should open things up for Kemba/Hendo/Sessions. They've played most of their CHA career with zero offensive threats in the paint.

An odd team, for sure, but what they lack in outside shooting, they help make up for with the ability to get to the line (2nd in the league with 31.4 attempts/game).

Rudy Gay leading the league in field goal attempts all while shooting .365 from the floor. Well done
He was pretty entertaining last night. After the debacle in Houston, he come out dead set on passing. He actually assisted on the first two baskets for Toronto. Guess he figured that was good enough so he returned to his repertoire of turn-around-fadeaway jumpers, holding the ball at the 3 point line for 15 seconds then taking the shot or driving the lane, getting triple teamed and never once looking for the pass.
They still won tho, which is infuriating. I was hoping that with Masai in attendance at the Champions Classic he'd pass on a tank memo to Casey. Then again, maybe he did but Casey failed to execute, as usual.

76ers beat Rockets in OT without MCW. :mellow: Didnt think the team had it in 'em.

20yo Tony Wrotten (18p/10r/11a)and 24yo James Anderson (36p on 6-83s) have career nights starting.

At this point, I dont see how in the world Philly will get the most lottery balls.
It should be noted that the Rockets were without Harden. And once other teams really start to care, I'm sure that the luck will run out.

But the team definitely played hard and Anderson and Wroten looked good. I still don't know who half these guys are by face.

I do like these young guys that have been brought in. It always seemed to me like other teams could find young diamonds in the rough, at least once in a while. King and Stefanski meanwhile would be out signing the Royal Iveys and Steven Hunters and their young projects always seemed to be big white guys who were terrible.

I don't love Hawes taking so many 3's and handling the ball outside so much, but overall, the offensive game plan is pretty good.

Pretty interesting PHI has a 3-guard rotation of guys that are all 6'6". No idea what impact that will ultimately have, but it seems pretty rare in a league chocked full of shrimpy combo guards.

They still won tho, which is infuriating. I was hoping that with Masai in attendance at the Champions Classic he'd pass on a tank memo to Casey. Then again, maybe he did but Casey failed to execute, as usual.
As much as I think Casey needs to go, he does have them playing some very good D and rebounding. Whether we can attribute that to his coaching or not is up for debate though.

As much as I think Casey needs to go, he does have them playing some very good D and rebounding. Whether we can attribute that to his coaching or not is up for debate though.
I do think Casey had something to do with it, but he has had the fortune of not having Bargnani as his starting 4/5 for most of his tenure. Relative to the 5 yrs prior to his tenure, he looks amazing, but how much of that is really him and not the change in personel (Amir and Val vs. Bargs and Bosh)? I'm also quite certain that what he gives us in D&R he more than gives up on the Offense end and in poor rotations.

It's never too early to talk about the Bobcats being in the playoff hunt (it might even be the case that we need to talk about it early because we can't do it later on).

Though, the part about shooters outside is going to be tough. Their best outside shooters might be McBob and Tolliver (aside from Gordon who isn't playing at all). I'm pretty thankful for them, actually, and think they should both pair up nicely with Al. Really like McBob. Still only 26. He can spread the floor and pass pretty well.

Al should open things up for Kemba/Hendo/Sessions. They've played most of their CHA career with zero offensive threats in the paint.

An odd team, for sure, but what they lack in outside shooting, they help make up for with the ability to get to the line (2nd in the league with 31.4 attempts/game).
McRoberts has been my favorite since some point last year, just really like his game.

Kemba seems to be in a pretty big slump right now, he must be hurt.

Curious what you think of Zeller so far?

The general public in Memphis is starting to panic over this terrible start.

Guys on the radio shows are wondering what is going on.

Change the coach and go to a new more up tempo system when last year's system got you 56 wins would seem to be a good place

to start.

And I think after what the Spurs did to them on D in the playoffs, as many teams thgat can copy that formual will copy it against them.

The Grizzlies beat the hell out of the Warriors because Golden State isn't really that good on the interior on D so they really can't do what the Spurs did to Memphis last year.

Or maybe some of it is Randolph is a year older, he's not exactly young.

I feel like the only thing that made Memphis special was the fact that they had two old-school post bangers in a league poorly equipped to deal with an offense from the 1970's. They were a reliable spot-up shooter away from contending.

Switching to this motion-based thing just has both those guys looking like fish out of water. I don't know if Randolph's body breaking down is playing a role or not, but you certainly weren't going to improve his productivity by moving away from the one thing he did well as your staple. I think they had a pretty small window and the front office blew it on both the coaching and personnel fronts. :shrug:

:lol: That's just brutal. He's just looking at someone to blame cuz he can't move his feet.

Either JR Smith hurt his knee or just embarrassed to look at Bargnani after that.
Looks like a total Jesus Christ moment to me.
Especially since JR shockingly did the right thing and showed before starting to move back to the guy in the corner. Bargnani had a good half second to slide further over and didn't.

The general public in Memphis is starting to panic over this terrible start.

Guys on the radio shows are wondering what is going on.

Change the coach and go to a new more up tempo system when last year's system got you 56 wins would seem to be a good place

to start.

And I think after what the Spurs did to them on D in the playoffs, as many teams thgat can copy that formual will copy it against them.

The Grizzlies beat the hell out of the Warriors because Golden State isn't really that good on the interior on D so they really can't do what the Spurs did to Memphis last year.

Or maybe some of it is Randolph is a year older, he's not exactly young.
What was the reasoning for getting rid of Lionel Hollins? I really didn't understand that move.

The Clippers ran 4 guards out there last night for a decent chunk of the 3rd/4th quarter and made it work. Was interesting to see.

Westbrook doesn't look quite right yet.

Users who are viewing this thread