What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (8 Viewers)

Bill Simmons earlier tonight via Twitter:

"By 4Q, if DW/LBJ aren't thinking "I hope I don't get popped" on every drive, Bulls deserve to go home. Make 'em earn it"

I think he was/is right. Those guys should have been hitting the deck every time they drove to the hoop. Chicago has enough bigs to rotate guys through and do that. With Rose shooting so poorly, the only way they had a chance was by intimidating Miami and keeping them out of the paint. The fact that they didn't is their fault and is going to lead to them losing this series.

What the hell is wrong with Wade? Has to be injured.
Looks like he's sleepwalking out there. The Bulls seem to be putting their best defenders on LeBron, so you would think Wade could take over.
Brewer is no slouch on D either I guess, so maybe that's something.
IMO Brewer is better.
Deng sticks to LeBron like glue. It's tough to tell who is better, but I consider Deng a stud on D.
Deng is very good against bigger stronger SFs like Melo or Lebron.

Is Rose kinda looking in over his head?

Looks really different than in the reg season.
I don't think he's really been that bad in the series. He's sucked in the 4th/OT today with LeBron on him. The hype machine had expectations very high though.
He just seems, especially in tight situations and at the end of the game, like he is hesitant, not driving aggressively etc. Although, Miami is great on D, so that has a lot to do with it.

Man that Heat crowd just hauled ### after. It sounds like they lost. :lmao: WTF
I don't blame them. It took me 2 hours to get out of downtown the last game I went to and that was against the Wizards. That was with paying a bum $1 to hold up traffic for me so I could get out as well. :D

Simmons has always made a big deal about how Jordan constantly abused Malone in the 97 Finals, with partial motivation being that Malone was wrongfully given the MVP by the dopey writers because they got tired of voting for MJ.

This has the same feel.

Ceremony will be before game 5 to give Lebron the MVP. D Rose looks defeated....kind of like when your big brother decides to "start playing" against you in the backyard.

Simmons has always made a big deal about how Jordan constantly abused Malone in the 97 Finals, with partial motivation being that Malone was wrongfully given the MVP by the dopey writers because they got tired of voting for MJ. This has the same feel.
The last two games from LeBron have just been insane. I can't remember a player in a long time having that kind of impact on both ends of the court. The guy is guarding everyone, hitting huge shots, and of course throwing in his customary rebounding and passsing. It even seems like he's been on the court the entire game.

Simmons has always made a big deal about how Jordan constantly abused Malone in the 97 Finals, with partial motivation being that Malone was wrongfully given the MVP by the dopey writers because they got tired of voting for MJ. This has the same feel.
The last two games from LeBron have just been insane. I can't remember a player in a long time having that kind of impact on both ends of the court. The guy is guarding everyone, hitting huge shots, and of course throwing in his customary rebounding and passsing. It even seems like he's been on the court the entire game.
:goodposting: LeBron is simply playing on a level few perimeter players ever have.

Are you constantly blown away when ISO's are run at the end of games over and over and over again by most teams at all levels of basketball? I certainly understand where you're coming from - I'm a fan of motion offenses in general and I'm a firm believer that lack of ball movement and leads to stagnant players and less effective offense overall. But in 1 possession, do-or-die situations in which the defense is set, just running the regular offense rarely works because the defense is at such an advantage.
How often do those Isos work out Tommy? Not very often. You usually end up with an off balance, contested jumper from distance - that's a fail regardless of who is taking the shot. The defense is at an advantage because they basically only have to cover 1 guy. You're putting zero pressure on them. It's stupid. It's a sop to the biggest ego on the team. Obviously if you've only got 3 seconds to work with your options are limited, but when you have a near full 24 and you run an iso you're doing the other team a favor. Bad offense.
I've made this argument consistently for a while now. There's a lot of factors at work in the final minute that make it difficult to compare apples to apples, but to me the strongest evidence that the Groovus position here is the correct one is the fact that when Hollinger did that article:(1) the best offense in the league in the final minute was the one with the best pass-first point guard, Chris Paul, and (2) unlike what I assume is pretty much every other team in the league (Hollinger didn't include all the data for all the teams) they were actually as good or better in the final minute as they were throughout the game, meaning that other "factors" like increased defensive intensity or fatigue or whatever really weren't factors at all.I'm open to another argument, but to my mind, if you want to argue that running final possessions through stars and/or running ISOs is the best way to play down the stretch, you have to address that point. Why is the best team down the stretch also the one that's the most unpredictable?
Those isos at the end of regulation were awesome. 3, possessions zero points, zero good looks.

LeBron's defense is the biggest factor in the series and is the reason Miami is up 3-1. Now that he's fully committed defensively, he's undoubtedly the best player in the world, and it's really not close.That being said, I find it funny that LeBron goes 11-26 and people are suggesting he's dominating offensively. Let's just say that when other players shoot 42 percent, they get chastised.

:goodposting: LeBron is simply playing on a level few perimeter players ever have.
I credit Lebron's defensive intensity to coach K and the olympics experience...Lebron's D after the olympics noticably took a leap forward IMHO. Same with Wade.It was amazing to watch Kobe/Lebron/Wade on the perimiter like Dobermans...best perimeter defense team I've ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simmons has always made a big deal about how Jordan constantly abused Malone in the 97 Finals, with partial motivation being that Malone was wrongfully given the MVP by the dopey writers because they got tired of voting for MJ.

This has the same feel.
LeBron's defense is the biggest factor in the series and is the reason Miami is up 3-1. Now that he's fully committed defensively, he's undoubtedly the best player in the world, and it's really not close.That being said, I find it funny that LeBron goes 11-26 and people are suggesting he's dominating offensively. Let's just say that when other players shoot 42 percent, they get chastised.
I don't think folks are suggesting that think he shot the ball super well today really, but his impact was immense IMO. The Bulls still have a very good defense, and he missed some fairly easy shots near the hoop. But in general, he's been commanding a ton of attention, passing exceptionally well (as he pretty much always has), and hitting very big shots in key moments. He has been helping to make people regret their Bosh insults by creating tons of open shots for him. He's also been getting to the line a ton and forcing the action, which is critical against the Bulls, who are excellent in the half court defense.

If you think back through the stars since Jordan, who has been this dominant all around (Scoring, facilitating, rebounding, defense)? Duncan? Young Shaq maybe? I think LeBron is better than those guys were right now.

Now that he's fully committed defensively, he's undoubtedly the best player in the world, and it's really not close.
Weren't the Cavs consistently among the best defenses in the NBA with LeBron? I don't think this is a new phenomenon. He has more freedom now with better teammates of course, but he's been an elite defender for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread