What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA Basketball Thread - 2022-3 Season (2 Viewers)

SDSU hanging around tough. Still gonna be six and the ball at worst for UCONN, provided they don't give up an offensive rebound on a miss here.

I used to be a diehard UCONN fan.

I barely even care enough to even leave the channel on. This would have made me so amped as a twenty year-old.

/old age

Sub time. Congrats to SDSU on a great run.

The UCONN job was not a great one when Hurley got the job, best I remmeber. Calhoun made it a brand, Ollie made it a one-time powerhouse without Calhoun, but Hurley really had to build it back. Good job.

Awesome run since '99.

GO HUSKIES!!!

UCONN one of 3 teams to ever go undefeated in all non-conference games and win every game by double digits. They join 08-09 UNC and 66-67 UCLA. The Huskies went 17-0 in those games and trailed in the second half for a combined 53 seconds.

T
Women’s game was more exciting. Men’s CBB has a problem
Nah, this is just SDSU ball. It's why I was bummed when K State got bounced. I don't think anyone was beating Uconn, but 3 teams on that side of the bracket would offer an entertaining product...the Aztecs weren't one of them.
Very true. UConn didn't let SDSU implement their gameplan. The only time that SDSU made a run was when a) Sanogo was off, and b) SDSU could dribble drive to the paint and either kick or take a shorter shot. UConn was smart and didn't get into foul trouble, which was SDSU's goal. Instead the Aztecs got into foul trouble with some off the ball fouls and their plan fell apart. UConn really troubled them with their size, causing the Aztecs to turn the ball over way more than typical.

I used to be a diehard UCONN fan.

I barely even care enough to even leave the channel on. This would have made me so amped as a twenty year-old.

/old age
I don't think it's old age. I think it's a combo of player recognition and TV production.

It used to be easy to root for or against a player and that made me tune in ... like the fab 5, Phi Slamma Jamma, the Running Rebs. Or a coach, like Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, John Thompson. Frankly players and most coaches are unrecognizable. Before this tournament I could not have told you a single player on UConn or SDSU. Nor their coaches. I can tell you more backup players from some of Duke and UNC's pre 2000 teams than I could any starters from this years tournament. Whether it's 1 and done, the transfer portal, or whatever ... the players are mostly unrecognizable.

Production wise ESPN has to have so many commercials and hype to make the $s work. So there's a lot of talking heads telling you not much of anything. They are funny and interesting to listen to, but 99% of it is killing time with banter. I got better things to do. And the 9:20 Eastern start time on a Monday? You might as well eliminate half the county and anyone under the age of 14. Like 80% of the country (that's 250 million people) live east of the Mississippi River. We may try to stay up, but it's not gonna happen for the majority of people. So basically ESPN (with the NCAA) gave a middle finger to 250 million people.

Last edited:
UConn should be up by 40.

SDS went 10 minutes without a basket. That is the longest I have ever seen in a big game, and many were good looks.

If they just hit their normal 10-12ft shots they would have been in the lead.

UConn should be up by 40.

SDS went 10 minutes without a basket. That is the longest I have ever seen in a big game, and many were good looks.

If they just hit their normal 10-12ft shots they would have been in the lead.
They were "OK" looks. Nothing wide open rolling off a screen. True none of their shots fell for them during that span, which really put them in a hole. But full credit to UConn to not getting sucked into the Aztec game and instead playing good defense to leverage their size advantage. UConn contested a lot of those shots well, didn't give up defensive fouls, and got some turnovers with long arms and quick hands.

:lmao:
Oh stop it. The FAU/SDSU game was great on Saturday and the Women's Final was no better a game than this one, but played with 1/3 the athleticism.

It's just an ugly game, but no one is switching to watch NCAA women's games instead of Men's during the regular season next year.

Women's game just set an all time record with 9.9 million for the title game. The men's title was predicted to be between 14 million and 16 million which is an all time low.

Oh stop it. The FAU/SDSU game was great on Saturday and the Women's Final was no better a game than this one, but played with 1/3 the athleticism.

It's just an ugly game, but no one is switching to watch NCAA women's games instead of Men's during the regular season next year.

Women's game just set an all time record with 9.9 million for the title game. The men's title was predicted to be between 14 million and 16 million which is an all time low.
Right, I'm sure this year was a big swing with the Caitlyn Clark hype vs. some less heralded men's teams. Still almost 2x the viewers. I'm happy for the women's game but to act like the women's game is somehow going to catch or surpass the men's game is laughable and saying Men's CBB "has a problem" isn't accurate.

Do the math on viewership for every NCAA men's vs. women's tournament games and you'll see what I mean. Even more so if you take regular season and conference tournaments into account.

This year's title games were an anomaly, not necessarily a greater trend. I would agree that the men's increased parity while the game adjusts to life with NIL & transfer portals could cause some decline in overall viewership but I wouldn't consider it to be "in trouble" just yet.

Don't worry. Looks like the Dukes and Kansas' of the world are going to be stacked next year, so we'll probably go back to the usual same old tournament next year with the same old teams that everyone seems to want over and over. Myself? I'll be pulling for the FAUs and San Diego States again.

Right, I'm sure this year was a big swing with the Caitlyn Clark hype vs. some less heralded men's teams. Still almost 2x the viewers. I'm happy for the women's game but to act like the women's game is somehow going to catch or surpass the men's game is laughable and saying Men's CBB "has a problem" isn't accurate.

Do the math on viewership for every NCAA men's vs. women's tournament games and you'll see what I mean. Even more so if you take regular season and conference tournaments into account.

This year's title games were an anomaly, not necessarily a greater trend. I would agree that the men's increased parity while the game adjusts to life with NIL & transfer portals could cause some decline in overall viewership but I wouldn't consider it to be "in trouble" just yet.
Caitlyn Clark was the number 1 reason most people watched the women's tournament. I'll admit I only watched the women's game to see her play.

A couple of years ago UConn was dying in the AAC. An underrated great move by that university to realize they were a hoops school first and pull the rip cord to go back to the Big East.

Exactly right. They never were, nor will they ever be a football school.

A couple of years ago UConn was dying in the AAC. An underrated great move by that university to realize they were a hoops school first and pull the rip cord to go back to the Big East.

Rumors are when Clemson and Miami leave for sec that acc will offer UConn an invite.
They should decline it and stay where they are. Syracuse made leap and it’s a colossal failure on every sporting field. Guess they make a few more bucks though.

My brothers and their kids (all UConn alumna) were at the Final Four. One of my brothers stayed at the hotel with the players, families, and staff. I wish I could upload the video of the players arriving back at the hotel, with the band., cheerleaders and fans waiting for them. One of the most happy videos I’ve ever seen.

Where are GBs Good Posting Judge or @ekbeats be when you need some UCONN solidarity?

The Electric Blues are coming live wire tonight, baby!
What’s up Rock? I was at Chicago Sam’s night and the place was crazy. I’m killing myself for not going to Houston. I had it all arranged but the cost of the trip was ridiculous.

Where are GBs Good Posting Judge or @ekbeats be when you need some UCONN solidarity?

What’s up Rock? I was at Chicago Sam’s night and the place was crazy. I’m killing myself for not going to Houston. I had it all arranged but the cost of the trip was ridiculous.

Nice. Chicago Sam’s where? Enfield? That’s the only one I remember (I’m more NorCon than central or Eastern like UCONN) Too bad about the trip. I’ll bet it’s outrageous to do that. Let’s go UCONN!

Nice. Chicago Sam’s where? Enfield? That’s the only one I remember (I’m more NorCon than central or Eastern like UCONN) Too bad about the trip. I’ll bet it’s outrageous to do that. Let’s go UCONN!
It’s in Cromwell. It used to be something else that you probably would know.

I used to be anti-strip club until I fell in love with a girl because I was on Paxil and everything seemed like a good idea on Paxil.

Give me the dancers, ballerinas, the tippling on stage…

Rumors are when Clemson and Miami leave for sec that acc will offer UConn an invite.
They should decline it and stay where they are. Syracuse made leap and it’s a colossal failure on every sporting field. Guess they make a few more bucks though.
All the conference realignments are about money and the bigger tv revenue.

Why the hell would either of those go to the SEC in the first place? Agree they should probably stand pat. Just puzzling to me why they'd even jump. There's no real upside sport wise, but the money would be better.

All the conference realignments are about money and the bigger tv revenue.
I know, that’s why I said that last line.

Why the hell would either of those go to the SEC in the first place? Agree they should probably stand pat. Just puzzling to me why they'd even jump. There's no real upside sport wise, but the money would be better.
FSU and Clemson are trying to leave for money. Miami isn’t going anywhere, nobody wants them.

first it’s all about the money. Second it’s apparent there will be 3-4 super football based conferences then everyone else. The new super conferences will renegotiate tv contracts generating millions more for schools.

Do we have a new thread for this season?

Georgia Tech beat Duke - first time in a long time Duke loses back to back to unranked teams and first time in a long time that Tech won back to back games against ranked teams. Don’t want to get ahead of myself but Stoudamire has quickly made us look competent.

@Ramblin Wreck - did you watch the game and see the kid Ndongo?

Do we have a new thread for this season?

Georgia Tech beat Duke - first time in a long time Duke loses back to back to unranked teams and first time in a long time that Tech won back to back games against ranked teams. Don’t want to get ahead of myself but Stoudamire has quickly made us look competent.

@Ramblin Wreck - did you watch the game and see the kid Ndongo?
Yeah still not sure if we have enough shooters to be consistent but these guys look like athletic ballers that will compete.

Georgia Tech beat Duke

This is baffling, as I watched Cincinnati beat GT by like 40. And Cincinnati isn't that good.

Yeah - Tech starts to the season has been crazy. Lost to freaking UMass Lowell and got killed by your guys. Then beats Mississippi State and Duke. New coach, new system, a bunch of new guys but still perplexing.

Cincy was the only road game all year so far - we play UGA in the road tomorrow so will be interesting to see if they can keep up the good play.

Users who are viewing this thread