What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need Some Help: Kid playing basketball and I have no clue (1 Viewer)

thanks for the input. But this part confuses me. 

What do you mean by "basket first" When I was watching them, whenever the opponent shot, they all jumped to block the ball, but most of them were just too far away and couldnt jump high enough to do any good. 

Does "Basket fist" mean trying to block the actual shot, or am i misunderstanding it? 
On defense she should stay between the player she is gaurding and the basket. Also ditto keep the the arms up and spread out on defense. Can't practice dribbling with each hand enough. Pick n roll is a lost art.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is how I teach it to my players:

Before you guard your man/zone (my teams are 99% man to man, but the majority of youth coaches will run zones) the first thing you need to do when hustling back is protect the key - basically don't give up uncontested layups. Make sure there is no unguarded player under the basket. It is of little use to sprint back and go stand next to your man or your assigned spot in a zone if the team is giving up a layup to an unguarded player.

Once that has been taken care of, stop the ball. The ball is what scores. Similar to above, it is of little use to sprint back and stand next to your man/zone and watch the player with the ball drive uncontested for a layup or open shot.

Once the basket/post has been taken away and the ball has been stopped, you worry about guarding your man/zone.
This is exactly what I was trying to say.  

Fwiw, anyone who runs zone at that age is a ####### schmuck.
I agree for the most part.  It is a better winning strategy at the younger ages due to their limitations in ball movement and outside shooting, but does a poor job of teaching players how to be good defenders and hurts the development of quality offensive skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree for the most part.  It is a better winning strategy at the younger ages due to their limitations in ball movement and outside shooting, but does a poor job of teaching players how to be good defenders.
My rule is if you zone, we press, regardless of score.  We press anyway but might take it off and work on half court stuff if we get ahead and you are in m2m.

Fwiw, anyone who runs zone at that age is a ####### schmuck.
Agree - the only time I use a zone is if I am really shorthanded on players... I've had to play a few tournaments with only 5 or 6 players, so if I have kids in foul trouble or just getting exhausted, we might sit back in a 122 or 2-3 for a few possessions, but it is fairly rare that I have had to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread