What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New to Roto Keeper (1 Viewer)

byrshan

Footballguy
My friend just inherited a team in a basic 5x5 roto keeper league. Hitch is you get to keep 3 players but you lose a pick 3 rounds before there last draft round. So if you drafted someone last year in Rd. 20 and you decide to keep them this year you lose your 17th rd. pick. I am not very well versed on roto but have a basic understanding and would appreciate any help. Here is his team:

Final Roster

Player Pos Team Draft Round

Dustin Ackley 2B SEA 20

Erick Aybar SS LAA 20

Lance Berkman 1B/OF STL 20

Jay Bruce OF CIN 6

Bryce Harper OF WAS 20

Joe Mauer C MIN 3

Cameron Maybin OF SD 20

Michael Morse OF WAS 15

Alex Rodriguez 3B NYY 2

Drew Stubbs OF CIN 16

Neil Walker 2B PIT 14

Pitchers

Rafael Betancourt RP COL 20

Johnny Cueto SP CIN 20

Felix Hernandez SP SD 1

Edwin Jackson SP CWS 18

Ubaldo Jimenez SP COL 9

Colby Lewis SP TEX 12

Ryan Madson RP CIN 19

Carlos Marmol RP ChC 4

Brandon Morrow SP TOR 7
Since he can't keep Felix, A-Rod or Mauer, my suggestions were for him to go with Bryce Harper at 20(17), Ackley 20(17), and Morse 15(12)... I know Harper isn't guaranteed to start this season and probably gets at best 300 or so ABs but I think with this weak of a team, you can't let him go. Are Harper, Ackley and Morse the way to go or should I replace Ackley or Morse with a pitcher like Madson, Jackson or Cueto? Any help would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why so many 20th rounders? FA pick ups?

I skipped playing FBB last season, so I may be unaware of something, but why not keep Ubaldo?

Not sure how many teams are in this league, but if it were me:

Madson or Betancourt

Stubbs

Ackley or Morse

Ackley and Harper for sure - it's a KEEPER league and next year those two will only cost you 14th rounders

Final spot is preference but that is a very good value for Madson and I would likely keep him there and be able to manage getting a second closer later in the draft

People get so enthralled with the future in shallow keepers and I'll never understand it. You're trying to win this year. Ackley at best will be an average (fantasy) 2B and Harper probably won't help much this year. You'll find a better 2B (Kipnis, J Weeks, Espinosa, Kelly Johnson, Aaron Hill, Altuve) for about the same keeper price of Ackley, several of them probably cheaper. I think the price of Ackley's near equal, Neil Walker, last year shows that. Little profit potential with that pick. If Harper isn't declared on the Nats before the keeper deadline, send him back. If he's on the opening day roster by all means keep him though.

Assuming this isn't one of those no CI/MI and 3 OF leagues I'd keep Berkman, Maybin, and Morse. If it's more shallow I'd send Maybin back and keep Betancourt.

People get so enthralled with the future in shallow keepers and I'll never understand it. You're trying to win this year. Ackley at best will be an average (fantasy) 2B and Harper probably won't help much this year. You'll find a better 2B (Kipnis, J Weeks, Espinosa, Kelly Johnson, Aaron Hill, Altuve) for about the same keeper price of Ackley, several of them probably cheaper. I think the price of Ackley's near equal, Neil Walker, last year shows that. Little profit potential with that pick. If Harper isn't declared on the Nats before the keeper deadline, send him back. If he's on the opening day roster by all means keep him though.Assuming this isn't one of those no CI/MI and 3 OF leagues I'd keep Berkman, Maybin, and Morse. If it's more shallow I'd send Maybin back and keep Betancourt.
You obviously have a very low opinion of Ackley - I will bet his 2012 value is better than half the ones you mention and he will get better and be a 14th round pick for this guy next year.One of the ways to be in the money for several years in these leagues is to develop a team where you can keep two or three guys for several years - you are always drafting the best talent in the first three rounds but you need good producers to keep for several years - he will have Ackley and Harper and Madson for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 for eighth round picks at the worst

People get so enthralled with the future in shallow keepers and I'll never understand it. You're trying to win this year. Ackley at best will be an average (fantasy) 2B and Harper probably won't help much this year. You'll find a better 2B (Kipnis, J Weeks, Espinosa, Kelly Johnson, Aaron Hill, Altuve) for about the same keeper price of Ackley, several of them probably cheaper. I think the price of Ackley's near equal, Neil Walker, last year shows that. Little profit potential with that pick. If Harper isn't declared on the Nats before the keeper deadline, send him back. If he's on the opening day roster by all means keep him though.Assuming this isn't one of those no CI/MI and 3 OF leagues I'd keep Berkman, Maybin, and Morse. If it's more shallow I'd send Maybin back and keep Betancourt.
You obviously have a very low opinion of Ackley - I will bet his 2012 value is better than half the ones you mention and he will get better and be a 14th round pick for this guy next year.
I like Ackley long term and as a real baseball player, but as a fantasy player he is very mediocre for 2012. There's no reason to expect more than 10 HR's and 10 SB's. His avg will probably be somewhere between 265 and 280 and given the Seattle offense even if he bats 3rd I don't see the counting stats being anything special. In the end, if you build a team well enough to handle the weaker average of the above guys you have a lot more profit potential in the 20/20 guys with poor averages than a guy like Ackley.

:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread