What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Mets 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

Interesting day today. Very torn here. Yeah, Harvey and Wheeler looking good is awesome and exciting; however everything else is just a huge, ugly mess.
Harvey/Wheeler/Wright/Parnell/Murphy is a great start...the question is how much faith do you have in Alderson/DePodesta

Also, HTF do the Giants give up Wheeler for 44 games of Carlos Beltran?
Not one of Sabean's better trades and there have been a lot of questionable moves over the years. They compounded the mistake by not making much of an effort to resign Beltran over the off-season. Somehow this ended up with another championship. Baseball is a funny game.

You have to remember where the Giants were at the deadline in 2011 though. They had been clinging to first in the NL West for over a month in spite of an offense that finished last in runs by a pretty good margin. Posey was out for the year and guys like Tejada, Huff and Rowand were still playing regularly. Sabean was looking for a spark but it failed. They had a terrible homestand right after Beltran arrived losing 9 of 10 at one point. Arizona went past them and never looked back.
And how many in SF would sign for that deal today? You get Beltran and a championship... you give up (well, wtf cares?)

Terry Collins is no Earl Weaver, but if ever a game called for a forfeit, I was pulling for one after Recker gave up that giant HR to Desmond. Couldn't believe he got the next three batters. I think down 13-0 with a position player on the mound it's ok to pull a Mondale and just admit defeat.

The Mets have won their last 7 road series, have a winning road record, and have the worst home record in the NL. This is a weird team that has actually been doing better of late. I'm curious to see what they do at the deadline. I'd have to assume Parnell would have pretty high value to a team like Detroit. If the Mets could get a good prospect for Parnell, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. If the Mets could get even a decent prospect for Murphy or Byrd, I'd jump on that trade in a second.

The Mets have won their last 7 road series, have a winning road record, and have the worst home record in the NL. This is a weird team that has actually been doing better of late. I'm curious to see what they do at the deadline. I'd have to assume Parnell would have pretty high value to a team like Detroit. If the Mets could get a good prospect for Parnell, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. If the Mets could get even a decent prospect for Murphy or Byrd, I'd jump on that trade in a second.
As bad as the Mets have been, they definitely have shown some signs - and for the first time in a few years, aren't devoid of the POTENTIAL for a good future.

Parnell is only 26 or so correct? As such, I wouldn't want to let him go unless we get something pretty damn good in return. Byrd might not get you much at all, but if we can get something of value, jump at it. If not, he's a good presence for some of the younger guys.

Murphy is a solid player and could be part of something next year so I'd be hesitant to trade him unless we get value.

The emergence of Harvey and Wheeler (looked really solid last night I understand) gives us something to really build upon. If they can be a solid #1 and #3 next year with some upside, that's a foundation for .500. You add Parnell, Wright, Murphy and open the check book a little, and a run at the playoffs next year and definitely the year after is very much in reach. With that in mind I wouldn't want to give up too much without getting something really good back.

As bad as the Mets have been, they definitely have shown some signs - and for the first time in a few years, aren't devoid of the POTENTIAL for a good future.

Parnell is only 26 or so correct? As such, I wouldn't want to let him go unless we get something pretty damn good in return. Byrd might not get you much at all, but if we can get something of value, jump at it. If not, he's a good presence for some of the younger guys.

Murphy is a solid player and could be part of something next year so I'd be hesitant to trade him unless we get value.

The emergence of Harvey and Wheeler (looked really solid last night I understand) gives us something to really build upon. If they can be a solid #1 and #3 next year with some upside, that's a foundation for .500. You add Parnell, Wright, Murphy and open the check book a little, and a run at the playoffs next year and definitely the year after is very much in reach. With that in mind I wouldn't want to give up too much without getting something really good back.
Parnell is 28, but this article does a better job explaining why the Mets should trade Parnell now than I could. As for Murphy, I don't think he's very good. His one plus tool is his ability to hit for average, but it's generally an empty average: he doesn't draw many walks, and he doesn't have much power, and he's not very good defensively. I don't think he's a long-term solution for the Mets at second base and if a team like the A's, who need to upgrade at 2B, came calling. I would be very open to listening to what they have to say.

Parnell is 28, but this article does a better job explaining why the Mets should trade Parnell now than I could. As for Murphy, I don't think he's very good. His one plus tool is his ability to hit for average, but it's generally an empty average: he doesn't draw many walks, and he doesn't have much power, and he's not very good defensively. I don't think he's a long-term solution for the Mets at second base and if a team like the A's, who need to upgrade at 2B, came calling. I would be very open to listening to what they have to say.
The A's are a smart organization that doesn't overvalue AVG

Saw someplace else that something like only 4 closers from the start of 2011 are still the closers of the same teams.

dparker713 said:

Saw someplace else that something like only 4 closers from the start of 2011 are still the closers of the same teams.
Wow. That's surprising, but I guess it makes sense. Not to mention that Parnell will be a lot more expensive in the coming years. I could see the Tigers deciding they need a "proven closer" and overpaying for Parnell.

I really love watching Matt Harvey pitch, especially when he dominates the Phillies. The Mets are playing a lot better of late; I wonder if they try to re-sign Byrd, who has been absolutely terrific this season.

Limp Ditka said:
Terry Collins is so unbelievably bad at his job.
That game absolutely sucked. Not sure what Collins did wrong though to be honest, at least I don't think he cost them the game.

Koya said:
Limp Ditka said:
Terry Collins is so unbelievably bad at his job.
That game absolutely sucked. Not sure what Collins did wrong though to be honest, at least I don't think he cost them the game.
I can agree that he didn't really cost them the game, but I think he did call it not to lose. 1 out... after that passed ball put runners on 2/3, I think you have to put the runner on first and try and set yourself up for a DP.

Matt Harvey has a partially torn UCL and will likely need Tommy John. This is absolutely devastating news for the Mets.

Woke up today and said..."Wrights done for year probably. Harvey is ####ed. But at least I can enjoy Marlon Byrd's career year"

I am not sure if I like sports anymore. Maybe I will get into Magic or Dungeons and Dragons.
Thank god for the NY Giants. My only saving grace.
Pfft. I am a Jets fan. That is worse than being a Mets fan..
This. I was actually really excited for the 2014 Mets. I thought they'd be like the 2012 Nationals. That's gone now.
But, in two years they could be like the 2013 Nationals!

:unsure:

ETA: Stupid new unsure smiley.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure if I like sports anymore. Maybe I will get into Magic or Dungeons and Dragons.
Thank god for the NY Giants. My only saving grace.
Pfft. I am a Jets fan. That is worse than being a Mets fan..
This. I was actually really excited for the 2014 Mets. I thought they'd be like the 2012 Nationals. That's gone now.
But, in two years they could be like the 2013 Nationals!

:unsure:

ETA: Stupid new unsure smiley.
:oldunsure:

Woke up today and said..."Wrights done for year probably. Harvey is ####ed. But at least I can enjoy Marlon Byrd's career year"
Um... RBM, don't look now, but Byrd's been traded to the Pirates.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/on-base-perception-1.3631854/marlon-byrd-john-buck-traded-to-pittsburgh-pirates-1.5965868
I'm going to go out on a limb and say he probably knew that.
Probably. :kicksrock:
Yup, I knew. Just wanted to sum up what it's like going thru life with this curse. Just when you think something positive, you get blasted into reality.

as a fan since the 1970s who actually ushered in the Steve Henderson era, I find any optimism surrounding this team misguided and quite frankly, I get angry in those that shill for this mgmt team. so far, the #1 picks of this regime seem wasted, especially when compared to impact players taken round 1 in 10, 11 and 12. there is not a position player in the system that can be considered anything more than replacement level. holes exits at 1b, I will say 2b, since Murphy has no power or speed and is a sub par defender, SS, all OF spots, RP. likely an SP will be needed to replace Harvey and pick up for niese's inevitable injury. maybe we can grab a marcum, harang or dice k to excite the fanbase. wrong decisions will be made on Ike and Parnell, neither is a keeper. Parnell is the most hittable 100 mph guy I've seen. likely the mets tender each. mgmt is engulfed in debt payments due 2014 and 2015 and has shown no recent inclination to improve the product. couple of young pitchers for sure, but pitchers break and the mets have learned nothing from generation Krap. they can't be stupid enough to spend on shin choo choo or jacoby ouchbury, can they? attendance will soon dip below 2mill. they are kicked off NYs main sports radio station so some dude in his mom's basement can broadcast games on ham radio. i hope the Wilpons are broke and sell to Cuban.

side story, I noticed the mets have an awful DH against the marlins tomorrow. it is bark in the park day, bring your dog, which is cool. but the mets are actually charging each dog 10- to enter. I shat you not.

as a fan since the 1970s who actually ushered in the Steve Henderson era, I find any optimism surrounding this team misguided and quite frankly, I get angry in those that shill for this mgmt team. so far, the #1 picks of this regime seem wasted, especially when compared to impact players taken round 1 in 10, 11 and 12. there is not a position player in the system that can be considered anything more than replacement level. holes exits at 1b, I will say 2b, since Murphy has no power or speed and is a sub par defender, SS, all OF spots, RP. likely an SP will be needed to replace Harvey and pick up for niese's inevitable injury. maybe we can grab a marcum, harang or dice k to excite the fanbase. wrong decisions will be made on Ike and Parnell, neither is a keeper. Parnell is the most hittable 100 mph guy I've seen. likely the mets tender each. mgmt is engulfed in debt payments due 2014 and 2015 and has shown no recent inclination to improve the product. couple of young pitchers for sure, but pitchers break and the mets have learned nothing from generation Krap. they can't be stupid enough to spend on shin choo choo or jacoby ouchbury, can they? attendance will soon dip below 2mill. they are kicked off NYs main sports radio station so some dude in his mom's basement can broadcast games on ham radio. i hope the Wilpons are broke and sell to Cuban.

side story, I noticed the mets have an awful DH against the marlins tomorrow. it is bark in the park day, bring your dog, which is cool. but the mets are actually charging each dog 10- to enter. I shat you not.
I was here last year. It gets better when you surrender to the ennui.

Matt Harvey, Zack Wheeler... and Michael Wacha?As tantalizing as that bedrock rotation for the future might sound, the Mets never came close to making it a reality with the 12th overall pick in the 2012 draft.

Wacha, the stud Cardinals rookie, is the toast of baseball during a postseason in which he is 4-0 with a 1.00 ERA. He could have been Mets property — the Cardinals snagged him with the 19th overall pick in the draft two years ago — but the organization was intent on getting a position player in the first round. With the 12th overall pick, the Mets instead selected high school shortstop Gavin Cecchini, who spent the 2013 season at Single-A Brooklyn.

“Our guys liked Wacha a lot in 2012 — one of the top college pitchers on the board,” Mets VP of player development and amateur scouting Paul DePodesta told The Post on Friday.

But the Mets also liked their organizational pitching depth. At the time, Harvey was less than two months from making his major league debut and Wheeler was dominating at Double-A Binghamton. Jenrry Mejia was returning from Tommy John surgery and the Mets had four pitchers they drafted in rounds 2-5 of the 2011 draft — behind outfielder Brandon Nimmo — that were creating a buzz (Cory Mazzoni, Logan Verrett, Tyler Pill and Jack Leathersich). That didn’t include Michael Fulmer, whom the Mets had received with a compensation pick. The Mets also had young pitchers under their control on the major league staff in Jon Niese and Dillon Gee.

“Therefore, we were really focused on position players at the top of the 2012 draft,” DePodesta said. “We didn’t even sign a pitcher in that draft until our fifth selection. So, we really liked Wacha, and he was high up on our board, but as an organization we needed to use our high picks that year to create more value in our position player prospects.”

The 19-year-old Cecchini played 51 games for Brooklyn in 2013 and batted .273 with no homers and 14 RBIs, but missed three weeks with an ankle injury.

“We see him as an everyday shortstop in the major leagues,” DePodesta said. “He was one of the youngest players in the [New York/Penn] League.

“For a guy who should have been a freshman in college, it was pretty impressive.”

But scouts are lukewarm, at best, on Cecchini.

All Wacha has done is dominate October. The righty fireballer was the winning pitcher in Game 2 of the World Series against the Red Sox on Thursday after allowing two earned runs on three hits over six innings in the Cardinals’ 4-2 victory. The series, tied 1-1, resumes on Saturday at Busch Stadium.

Before Wacha surrendered a two-run homer to David Ortiz in the sixth on Thursday, he had extended his scoreless streak to 18 ²/₃ innings.

Lets keep a running list of the FAs the Mets are interested in or have a meeting with, but are too cheap/broke to afford.

Cano

Granderson

Hughes

Arroyo

How can you not like? Perhaps most important of all, it's a WILLINGNESS to spend, and maybe overspend a little in the last year or two of the contract, to improve the team.

If our pitching can come together (####### tommy john surgery) then maybe we have something here. Hardly an elite team, but maybe competitive

An OF of Granderson, Eric Young and Lagares will cover a lot of ground. It'll also strike out about 450 times.

How can you not like? Perhaps most important of all, it's a WILLINGNESS to spend, and maybe overspend a little in the last year or two of the contract, to improve the team.

If our pitching can come together (####### tommy john surgery) then maybe we have something here. Hardly an elite team, but maybe competitive
:towelwave:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am shocked they signed Granderson. Maybe they will actually be able to make their June balloon payment (hopefully not). The Mets really need this to be the anti-Bay contract. Still, with the holes at SS and the rotation, this kinda feels like dressing up a turd. Seems to me they still have a lot more work this offseason.

I am shocked they signed Granderson. Maybe they will actually be able to make their June balloon payment (hopefully not). The Mets really need this to be the anti-Bay contract. Still, with the holes at SS and the rotation, this kinda feels like dressing up a turd. Seems to me they still have a lot more work this offseason.
The 2012 version of Ruben Tejada would be an adequate SS.

Users who are viewing this thread