What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (6 Viewers)

STaying here

Courtyard by Marriott New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area - 133 Greenwich St, New York, NY

Wife is supposed to be buying the Memorial and Liberty tickets this morning.

Only going to Empire because my daughter wants too.

I plan on leaving my house around 8:30 am.    With no traffic I'm ~ 1:35

Hoping to get to hotel by 10:30 - 11.   We have noon tickets....
Where are you driving from?

Does it make sense to park in NJ and take the PATH in? You avoid traffic and I'm sure that the hotel will charge more than NJ long term parking.
Wife and I have done that before.   Daughter wants to stay "in New York"  - I dont mind couple extra hundred.  We didnt go on a "big vacation this year" so spending a "little more" on this is fine

ETA: Oh misread this.   Thought you meant for a day trip.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife and I have done that before.   Daughter wants to stay "in New York"  - I dont mind couple extra hundred.  We didnt go on a "big vacation this year" so spending a "little more" on this is fine
No, not change your hotel, just not drive in. Probably comes down to a question of how much luggage you are bringing.

Does it make sense to park in NJ and take the PATH in? You avoid traffic and I'm sure that the hotel will charge more than NJ long term parking.

New Jersey - near Philly

Yea i was going to suggest this as well.  Maybe park in secaucus, or metropark?  Or even take the train from Philly? or Trenton?  No need for a car in the city and parking cost will be expensive.  Driving to the path you will still hit nyc traffic.  Maybe if you park in Newark or Harrison it will be better but if your driving to jersey city or hoboken you might as well drive all the way in.

No, not change your hotel, just not drive in. Probably comes down to a question of how much luggage you are bringing.
yeah - oh I should have mentioned we are going straight from New York to Hershey - so that is why I'm driving in. 

yeah - oh I should have mentioned we are going straight from New York to Hershey - so that is why I'm driving in. 
Maybe rent a car?  honestly the cost of parking might fund the rental tbh.

Otherwise, park at metropark or secaucus and take the train in.  That way you arent paying crazy parking prices and dont have to deal with the chaotic traffic. 

Otherwise, park at metropark or secaucus and take the train in.  That way you arent paying crazy parking prices and dont have to deal with the chaotic traffic. 
The only issue is that the WTC PATH doesn't run on the weekend. If he's trying to get out on Sunday he'll run into issues. (I had to look this up. I commute from glorious Long Island, not dirty Jersey)

Why woud I rent a car?

I live here. I'm not visiting from elsewhere.

I second Secaucus... just had to visit a stone yard out there that I'd been avoiding, because.. secaucus. but it was surprisingly easy and quick. 

So it looks like a straight run is Newark or Hoboken to WTC.  WTC station not open on the weekends

How do you get from Secaucus to the WTC?   I dont see trains?

So it looks like a straight run is Newark or Hoboken to WTC.  WTC station not open on the weekends

How do you get from Secaucus to the WTC?   I dont see trains?
Secaucus isn't going to run into WTC, will have to transfer through Penn. Are you leaving on Sunday or Monday?

If you don't mind the parking costs, think you should just drive in. You shouldn't be dealing with too much traffic at that time on a Friday morning, and worst case if you do get slammed, you'll still make your noon activity in plenty of time. Just might need to skip going to the hotel first.

Secaucus isn't going to run into WTC, will have to transfer through Penn. Are you leaving on Sunday or Monday?
Sunday and f that.  I'm a suburbia guy I don't really do a lot of public transit so I'll probably just get lost lol

Crossing threads with this reference, but thanks to an Instagram ad I just learned that the original Rattle and Hum on 33rd is now a place called Tap Haus 33 and the first one in the city which gives you a card so you can pour your own beers. 

Anyone been yet?

Crossing threads with this reference, but thanks to an Instagram ad I just learned that the original Rattle and Hum on 33rd is now a place called Tap Haus 33 and the first one in the city which gives you a card so you can pour your own beers. 

Anyone been yet?
I work- at least for the next two weeks- literally around the corner from this and just noticed it yesterday for the first time. I don't know that it's open yet...been under construction. Looks nice inside though.

Anyone been yet?
didnt even realize they changed names.  Hope the beer selection is still solid. 

What do you mean by a card that allows you to pour your own beers?

I work- at least for the next two weeks- literally around the corner from this and just noticed it yesterday for the first time. I don't know that it's open yet...been under construction. Looks nice inside though.
Unless reviews are fake/planted, it's open.

didnt even realize they changed names.  Hope the beer selection is still solid. 

What do you mean by a card that allows you to pour your own beers?
The taps are on a wall that everyone can access, you're not ordering from a bartender. I've seen this in some stadiums/arenas before. You either buy a prepaid card, or maybe have a card that links to an account with a credit card, and hold your card up to a sensor at the tap. Pour your beer and you/your card is charged based on a set rate, per ounce, for the amount of beer you pour. 

Gives you the chance to try different beers without paying for a full glass. Downside of course is that you're not really getting a discount for doing the labor yourself, although I guess it saves you from tipping a bartender.

Looks like I am coming back for a few days at the end of October.  Question - have any of you gone to an Army home game from NYC?  Looks like there is a ferry that does a service for it.  Is it worth the trip?  Pretty seamless?

Mad Cow said:
Looks like I am coming back for a few days at the end of October.  Question - have any of you gone to an Army home game from NYC?  Looks like there is a ferry that does a service for it.  Is it worth the trip?  Pretty seamless?
I've played (soccer) at Army. Nice trip up there, hopefully a little fall foliage left. Ferry could be cool...never gone up river with it, but been thinking about doing a trip. Couldn't tell you about seamless, other than ordering dinner.

I've played (soccer) at Army. Nice trip up there, hopefully a little fall foliage left. Ferry could be cool...never gone up river with it, but been thinking about doing a trip. Couldn't tell you about seamless, other than ordering dinner.
If not ferry, what would you suggest to get there, and how long to expect?

If not ferry, what would you suggest to get there, and how long to expect?
It's about 90mins by car. I think there are public buses, not sure about train. I got there with the team bus.

You could take the subway to see Columbia play uptown instead...not quite the same, but easy trip.

Eta. My old teammate, Satchy, has a kid at West point and probably could give you a lift. 

I know people who have taken the ferry up to Army for games. Everyone says it's an amazing trip all together and the ferry makes it even better (especially if timing is good and you can catch all the fall colors). 

Definitely something I'm planning to do one day.

I've been to some home Army games, and I have always had a great time.  If you can, take some time to see the campus too.  I have never taken the ferry there, but it sounds like a fun way to get there and back.  It sounds like a great day overall.

Still debating the Army game, though it would take most of the day.  Question if I do not, OSU plays Wisconsin that day.  Where would be a good place to watch it, assuming I would rather not hang out in my hotel room?  I do not drink, so take that into account.  Hotel is right off of Times Square.

Still debating the Army game, though it would take most of the day.  Question if I do not, OSU plays Wisconsin that day.  Where would be a good place to watch it, assuming I would rather not hang out in my hotel room?  I do not drink, so take that into account.  Hotel is right off of Times Square.
There's a lot of sports bars that will have the game on, but you will have to be willing to deal with people who are drinking.  I can't think of anywhere that wouldn't involve alcohol.  Aside from some places, you obviously don't have to drink alcohol if you don't want.  I have been to some bars where they will kick you out if you're not drinking, like McSorelys, but they aren't going to be appealing to you anyway.

I don't know Times Square well since I hate Times Square (like most New Yorkers).  There may be some more family oriented restaurant/bars that will have the game on but not so much a bar feel compared to other places.

Either way, if the weather is nice I would go to West Point.  It's more than just a football game, especially if you take the ferry, which should be great on it's own.

Agree with rc...take the ferry.

NYC is full of bars that support one college team or another...wouldn't be surprised if there was an OSU or Wis bar here if you want to go that route.

Never done the ferry to an Army game but love going to them and have been since I was a kid.  Actually going to the UMass game in a couple of weeks.  It is really the closest place to NYC where you can watch/experience a college football atmosphere.  Michie is also a great place to watch a game.  I highly recommend it. 

Never done the ferry to an Army game but love going to them and have been since I was a kid.  Actually going to the UMass game in a couple of weeks.  It is really the closest place to NYC where you can watch/experience a college football atmosphere.  Michie is also a great place to watch a game.  I highly recommend it. 
I'll join RC in giving this a  :sadbanana:

STaying here

Courtyard by Marriott New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area - 133 Greenwich St, New York, NY

Wife is supposed to be buying the Memorial and Liberty tickets this morning.

Only going to Empire because my daughter wants too.

I plan on leaving my house around 8:30 am.    With no traffic I'm ~ 1:35

Hoping to get to hotel by 10:30 - 11.   We have noon tickets....
Thought I updated. Drove in. Just fine - only hit traffic near the battery tunnel.  Had a great visit.  The memorial and museum are very "good". Hit statue of liberty, and one WTC observation deck.  Even subwayed up to Empire State building.  Overall good weekend.  Pretty much just hung in the area 

What is better locally?  Is it like going to Ohio state/Clemson, etc?  No, as it is different but in a lot of ways with the Army traditions it is almost better.  
It is really the closest place to NYC where you can watch/experience a college football atmosphere. 

I was reacting to that. Don't have to leave Manhattan to get a college game in uptown...and Rutgers is also pretty close.

It is really the closest place to NYC where you can watch/experience a college football atmosphere. 

I was reacting to that. Don't have to leave Manhattan to get a college game in uptown...and Rutgers is also pretty close.
Rutgers is home playing mother flipping Liberty next weekend, so that is out.  Oh that they played really ANY other B1G team, I would go there.  Still crap loads of tix for Army, just want to get a little closer to see weather.  Rain would make it a pass.

Rutgers is home playing mother flipping Liberty next weekend, so that is out.  Oh that they played really ANY other B1G team, I would go there.  Still crap loads of tix for Army, just want to get a little closer to see weather.  Rain would make it a pass.
Don't get me wrong- I think it's a great idea to head up there for a game. Just saying there options... If you're desperate.

Don't get me wrong- I think it's a great idea to head up there for a game. Just saying there options... If you're desperate.
No no, i looked at all of those.  I was actively looking at Army given the lack of a decent game at Rutgers.  I am still debating the whole ferry thing.  3 hours each way, daaaannng.  I am sure it is cool and all, but that seems more like a take your wife and cozy up as she gets warm and sees the pretty foliage and you get a little sumpin sumpin afterwards kind of thing.  If you know what I mean.  $85 for the round trip.  Anything faster that can be had for about the same cost?  Any trains or such?

Think there's a lot of legit stuff to see at West Point for you to enjoy the time up there alone, but it seems like you're just not really into it so no sense in forcing it. 

Just hang in the city. Hit a couple different bars for a few hours to watch some games.

Think there's a lot of legit stuff to see at West Point for you to enjoy the time up there alone, but it seems like you're just not really into it so no sense in forcing it. 

Just hang in the city. Hit a couple different bars for a few hours to watch some games.
No, I am OK seeing the stuff up there, it is the 6 hours alone on the boat that seems a tad much. ;)

No, I am OK seeing the stuff up there, it is the 6 hours alone on the boat that seems a tad much. ;)
Found this...

There are no trains that go directly to West Point. Below is the travel info from the West Point website:

http://www.usma.edu/

Railroad:

Metro-North has rail service from Grand Central Station in mid-town Manhattan, up the east bank of the Hudson. Trains to Garrison, NY, directly across the river from West Point, take approx 1 hour and 10 minutes and cost a little under $15. If you don’t have a car, get off at Peekskill, one stop south of Garrison, where cabs are often waiting. You may want to call to reserve a Highland Falls or Peekskill cab. Driving time from Garrison or Peekskill to West Point is approximately 20 minutes.

Bus:

Short Line Bus offers daily bus service from the New York City Port Authority, near Times Square in midtown Manhattan, to the West Point Visitors Center; one-way trip takes 1 hour 40 minutes and costs approx $15. Short Line also has day trip packages with sightseeing and local discounts.

Eta...it's from several years ago

Columbia has an iconic campus, a real stadium, and is in Manhattan so that's a good option if you want to see a college game in person.  Rutgers is much closer than West Point, and they might actually be able to win against Liberty.  It's a great atmosphere, although admittedly I'm biased.  However, it's not West Point.  West Point campus is really cool.  The game is different too with all of the cadets going to every home game.  There's a museum there too.  Rutgers is fun, but it's fun like going to any other Big10 game.  West Point is different and worth the experience.

I didn't realize the ferry was such a long ride, but I would probably still do it.  I would probably take it there for the experience and if you want to leave early, or not deal with a 3 hour trip back, you can take a taxi or Uber to the train station and take the train back to NYC, although that would still probably take 2 hours or so in total.  The train is a good way to travel around here.  Just check the schedule from the station you would go through so you can time it right.  I think the day overall is worth figuring out good travel plans back and forth.  I know it's a long way if you're spending 6 hours travel time, but at night the view of NYC from the river is amazing.  Either way, there are travel options for you around here for a day trip like that, and if I were to recommend any type of day trip from NYC, this one would be at the top of my list.

Columbia has an iconic campus, a real stadium, and is in Manhattan so that's a good option if you want to see a college game in person.  Rutgers is much closer than West Point, and they might actually be able to win against Liberty.  It's a great atmosphere, although admittedly I'm biased.  However, it's not West Point.  West Point campus is really cool.  The game is different too with all of the cadets going to every home game.  There's a museum there too.  Rutgers is fun, but it's fun like going to any other Big10 game.  West Point is different and worth the experience.

I didn't realize the ferry was such a long ride, but I would probably still do it.  I would probably take it there for the experience and if you want to leave early, or not deal with a 3 hour trip back, you can take a taxi or Uber to the train station and take the train back to NYC, although that would still probably take 2 hours or so in total.  The train is a good way to travel around here.  Just check the schedule from the station you would go through so you can time it right.  I think the day overall is worth figuring out good travel plans back and forth.  I know it's a long way if you're spending 6 hours travel time, but at night the view of NYC from the river is amazing.  Either way, there are travel options for you around here for a day trip like that, and if I were to recommend any type of day trip from NYC, this one would be at the top of my list.
Columbia campus is nice, but also a long ways away from Baker field.

Users who are viewing this thread