What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (4 Viewers)

Because somebody liked my post from five years ago, the second time this week I had a like for a post made years ago. Weird coincidence, eh?

I would like to add don’t ever go to Times Square for New Years Eve unless you’re comfortably ensconced in a VIP viewing location. Absolute dreck otherwise.
I think it was me? Planning a trip in September for my wife and I. Started reading this thread in the 2014ish range and just got caught up today. Really appreciate the time everyone has taken to give advice and answer questions over the years. Going to collect my notes over the next few days and I'm sure I'll have some questions. 

So we're looking at going at the end of September. I am roughly planning for 9/23-10/2 right now. As far as food goes we're strictly vegetarian and usually vegan so I've been doing some research and have a list of places. Most of them seem to be in the Chelsea/HK/GV areas so I'm thinking we should stay there. 

I am trying not to plan too much so that we can do things spur of the moment or spend more time than planned if we happen to particularly enjoy something. 

Any ideas for things to do or nice places to grab a drink would be appreciated. 

Here is my rough itinerary right now:

Wednesday:

Arrive

Thursday:

Chill and explore around the Airbnb

High Line?

Drinks?

Friday:

Museum of Modern Art

Ippudo Ramen for lunch/dinner?

Times Square/Rockefeller

Mercato for dinner?

Comedy Cellar? (Buy tickets)

Saturday:

Check out 5th Ave?

Broadway Show?

Sunday:

Football?

Monday:

Central Park

Maison Kayser Brunch?

The Met

Guggenheim 

Tuesday:

Friends/SATC Sites

Joe’s Pizza on Carmine or Ramen-Ya?

Century 21 near 9/11 memorial?

Night cruise?

Wednesday: 

Chill and enjoy

Go back to somewhere we’ve really enjoyed?

Thursday:

Brooklyn Bridge

Grimaldi’s in Brooklyn Heights

Explore Brooklyn

Nice meal for dinner

Empire State Building?

Friday:

Go home😭

Also looking at staying at either of these two Airbnbs. Thoughts?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2791446

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/32291386

That first Airbnb looks tiny fwiw.  Both locations look fine.

With ippu do, check the broth is veggie and not chicken. Also, they probably have offshoots, but the one I know isnt near the rest of your days plans midtown

Dirt candy in my les hood gets raves as an upscale veggie spot. People also love Superiority Burger in the EVil. Cookshop further west and up, closer to Chelsea has some nice veggie fare, iirc.

Maison kayser isn't really worth a sit-down destination meal, imo. It's like pret a manger, but with sitdown options. Decent food for a lunch or coffee on the go, imo, but not a planned stop.

What are friends/satc sites?

Oh...had meant to mention that the kids and I did a scavenger hunt around wash sq park over the weekend. Pay for it on an app, get clues and cruise finding stuff in the hood, learning stuff and being outside. Was a really nice and fun thing to do for us for a couple hours...both kids got inspired about history and future scavenger humts with pals. Basically for the price of a movie and lasting about as long...granted you're walking around the entire time. Recommend it.

Eta... And even though we were messing around, turns out we're way in front on the leaderboard for that hunt. Suck it, tourists!

Last edited by a moderator:
That first Airbnb looks tiny fwiw.  Both locations look fine.

With ippu do, check the broth is veggie and not chicken. Also, they probably have offshoots, but the one I know isnt near the rest of your days plans midtown

Dirt candy in my les hood gets raves as an upscale veggie spot. People also love Superiority Burger in the EVil. Cookshop further west and up, closer to Chelsea has some nice veggie fare, iirc.

Maison kayser isn't really worth a sit-down destination meal, imo. It's like pret a manger, but with sitdown options. Decent food for a lunch or coffee on the go, imo, but not a planned stop.

What are friends/satc sites?
I believe I had read that Ippudo had veggie broth but I will double check. Thanks for all of the restaurant suggestions!

For Maison Kayser we're pretty light eaters early in the day so I figured it'd be a good spot to grab coffee, some baked goods, etc since it's close and seems to get solid reviews. Definitely open to other suggestions in the area though!

Friends/SATC sites are things from the shows Friends and Sex and the City haha. Wife is a big fan and she'll get a kick out of things like seeing Monica's apartment building (at least what they used for the outside shots) as well as things like Carrie's stoop. They're all nearby the Airbnb options too.

Oh... Westville is a good veg place too- and there's one in Chelsea. They have a ton of veg sides that you can combine into a meal. Not as upscale or good as the others mentioned, but decent and not a killer pricewise. I was going to send you to NYC veg stalwart, Angelica Kitchen but am reminded that it closed a couple years ago. 

Understood about Maison kayser...looked like a spend a brunch morning thing on your itinerary, which it isn't. But light grab and go it's fine. People line up for hours at Clinton St Bakery down the street from us on weekends to get a bite of their crack-infused pancakes...worth the wait.

Didn't realize ippu do had other locations...Google shows those are just right for that midtown day.

I didn't remember location stuff from friends. Satc...gotcha. fwiw, Tom's diner from Seinfeld is up by Columbia at 112th st and bwy if you end up going that far north and is a quintessential NYC Greek diner. Assuming it's still around.

Oh... Westville is a good veg place too- and there's one in Chelsea. They have a ton of veg sides that you can combine into a meal. Not as upscale or good as the others mentioned, but decent and not a killer pricewise. I was going to send you to NYC veg stalwart, Angelica Kitchen but am reminded that it closed a couple years ago. 

Understood about Maison kayser...looked like a spend a brunch morning thing on your itinerary, which it isn't. But light grab and go it's fine. People line up for hours at Clinton St Bakery down the street from us on weekends to get a bite of their crack-infused pancakes...worth the wait.

Didn't realize ippu do had other locations...Google shows those are just right for that midtown day.

I didn't remember location stuff from friends. Satc...gotcha. fwiw, Tom's diner from Seinfeld is up by Columbia at 112th st and bwy if you end up going that far north and is a quintessential NYC Greek diner. Assuming it's still around.
I had read about Westville and that's on the list. Clinton St Bakery actually is too from your previous posts in this thread. Figured we'd try there on one of our exploring days during the week to try and avoid the madhouse. 

Thanks for the heads up on Tom's. It's crazy how many shows and movies are set in NYC once you stop to think about it.

Staying at the Westin Times Square in a couple of weeks and need a recommendation for an Italian or steak place within somewhat close proximity. If you suggest Carmine's I will never listen to you again. 

Bringing some clients out to dinner for winning a "of the year" type award from us. Hoping to stay in the $100-$100/pp proximity (with wine).

Thoughts?

Staying at the Westin Times Square in a couple of weeks and need a recommendation for an Italian or steak place within somewhat close proximity. If you suggest Carmine's I will never listen to you again. 

Bringing some clients out to dinner for winning a "of the year" type award from us. Hoping to stay in the $100-$100/pp proximity (with wine).

Thoughts?
Assuming that’s a typo and your high end is at least somewhat beyond $100, you can probably pull off Keens as long as you’re not going crazy with the wine. 

Assuming that’s a typo and your high end is at least somewhat beyond $100, you can probably pull off Keens as long as you’re not going crazy with the wine. 
I initially wanted to stay under $125/pp but ended up changing to $100-$110/pp. May have someone else pick up the wine. 

Thoughts?
Wolfgang's

Thoughts?
You'd have to check prices, but I've always liked Esca for Italian in that area. Seafoody, if that's a problem.

Senor Schmutzig said:

Thoughts?
Churrascaria Plataforma (Brazilian steakhouse)

Senor Schmutzig said:

Thoughts?
I'm partial to the downtown location but Striphouse never disappoints.   

Sad to hear some kid jumped off the Vessel in Hudson yards.

Also sad to hear The Meatball Shop is closing in the LES.

El Floppo said:
Also sad to hear The Meatball Shop is closing in the LES.
Their parm sauce meatball sandwich is one of the greatest things I've ever eaten.

On the minus side of the NYC equation, my wife was walking near the Lexington Hotel (Times Square area) and a thief snatched her iphone right out of her hand and ran off with it. Suck.

Their parm sauce meatball sandwich is one of the greatest things I've ever eaten.

On the minus side of the NYC equation, my wife was walking near the Lexington Hotel (Times Square area) and a thief snatched her iphone right out of her hand and ran off with it. Suck.
Sucks!

I just read somewhere that while violent crimes are down, these kind ofncrimes are way up.

Need recs on a broadway show taking the wife next weekend.  What shows are popular or highly rated right now?  We have already seen Hamilton and lion king. 

Mean girls?

To kill a mockingbird?

Come from away?

Need recs on a broadway show taking the wife next weekend.  What shows are popular or highly rated right now?  We have already seen Hamilton and lion king. 

Mean girls?

To kill a mockingbird?

Come from away?
People seem to enjoy Mean Girls but it’s more of a fun experience, not really top talent that needs to be seen. 

Saw TKAM with Jeff Daniels as the lead. Was really great but obviously very serious and a very different experience than the other two. 

Really liked Come From Away and would be my vote. Good mix of great performances/songs, plot, and overall enjoyment. 

Come from away. Loved by every person I know that's seen it, including hard to please people in the industry.

Been hearing really good things about the new production of west side story too.

@El Floppo how do you select your Citi bike?  Do you have a trick? I ride every day now and have had a bad run of crappy bikes. Damage, poor gearing, etc. I used to pick by flat basket but they are putting those in all models now. 

@El Floppo how do you select your Citi bike?  Do you have a trick? I ride every day now and have had a bad run of crappy bikes. Damage, poor gearing, etc. I used to pick by flat basket but they are putting those in all models now. 
Flat basket, and kick the tires (want them firm), squeeze the brakes (want them smooth and firm) before picking.

But the crap bike happens. If it's an obvious issue, press the wrench button when you dock and let them know what the issue is (you'll get an email with an easy survey when you push the button) . If it's bad enough, I'll dock at the first place I see and swap.

ETA... And good for you for riding. 

Another tip... On one way streets without a bike lane, I stay to the left side of the street. Passenger doors for parked cars (less likely to open and door you compared to driver doors on right side of street), driver side for moving cars (easier for them to see and maneuver by you when you're not on the other side of their car), most people get out of taxis/Ubers on the right side (less likely sneak door/pedestrian attack)

Flat basket, and kick the tires (want them firm), squeeze the brakes (want them smooth and firm) before picking.

But the crap bike happens. If it's an obvious issue, press the wrench button when you dock and let them know what the issue is (you'll get an email with an easy survey when you push the button) . If it's bad enough, I'll dock at the first place I see and swap.
I do lock and report. I think they have me flagged as a problem after the last 3 weeks. I’ve locked 4 bikes, three for bum shifting and once for a flat. 

I do lock and report. I think they have me flagged as a problem after the last 3 weeks. I’ve locked 4 bikes, three for bum shifting and once for a flat. 
The shifting is an issue, and no way of knowing until you're going. Hate having to ride in anything but the hardest/fastest of the three gears... No real hills in my commutes.

I noticed the Ice Cream Museum last time we were in Soho. 

Why? Anybody know more and why it would cost 50bucks or whatever?

total NYC confirmed coronavirus cases: 

• 3/5 - 2 
  • 3/6 - 5
  • 3/7 -  11
  • 3/8 -  12
  • 3/9 - 19
  • 3/10 -  36
  • 3/11 -  52
From Gov Cuomo twitter feed., updated daily.

How are you all doing with this mess?

All my corporate AV work has cancelled for the near future so I don't need to go into the city much outside of picking my wife up on occasions. Thankfully, I've transitioned to voiceover work over the past few years and work mostly from home. In-studio auditions in the city have dropped off significantly. The wife still goes in everyday by Express Bus. She could work from home but doesn't want to miss any gym classes. So, I'll obviously catch it eventually from her. The rest of her company needs to service clients (fashion consultant company) so they can't WFH. She's the CFO and doesn't think they can survive this as they were already in trouble. 

Hoping to keep our planned trip to our condo in Boise next weekend. Might not come back for a while.

I’ve been working from home as of late as has my wife.  I know a number of companies are beginning to do the same.  Though there are technical challenges which come with that.  

i assume at some point they will further shut down the city as Cuomo has suggested this a few times now.

We’re leaving the city. We’re unprepared as a city and I anticipate looting.

Not many places I’d rather be less than NYC right now.

Had a really tough day today battling with my owners about shutting down or at least shifting to a skeleton crew. It really kind of sealed my future when at the end of the day I told them I was working from home tomorrow.

I get it. If we shut down completely we have no revenue for however long. But I’m trying to get them to understand we aren’t making any money now and if one of us gets COVID?  Turn out the lights.  

So no metro north update tomorrow morning friends. I’ll be posting in my jammies. 

We’re leaving the city. We’re unprepared as a city and I anticipate looting.

Not many places I’d rather be less than NYC right now.
Really? I don’t dispel the idea that if you have other options (beach/country house with more room), why not get out of the city.  

But I was just in Manhattan the last few days, and felt an eerie sense that it’s gonna be ok.  A lot of folks will get the flu, it’s especially important for older folks to social distance, but other than that, NYC is resilient, a great and amazing series of neighborhoods and community (it’s not 1968 anymore).  

Almost extended my trip.

Really? I don’t dispel the idea that if you have other options (beach/country house with more room), why not get out of the city.  

But I was just in Manhattan the last few days, and felt an eerie sense that it’s gonna be ok.  A lot of folks will get the flu, it’s especially important for older folks to social distance, but other than that, NYC is resilient, a great and amazing series of neighborhoods and community (it’s not 1968 anymore).  

Almost extended my trip.
I mean we’re seriously thinking about going to my parents place in NC.  My gut says the hospitals get overwhelmed in short order and then there’s the whole issue of what happens when someone in our apartment building gets it.  

Whether that results in looting is another question entirely, but leaving doesn’t seem as stupid of an option now that WFH for a month is almost a given.

Almost extended my trip.
The feel of the city has been changing by the hour...particularly today, with lines at stores like I've never seen.

People dealing w transportation seems normal though so far, aside from increasing face masks and gloves.

Dunno.

I wouldn't think looting from this. But given the rapid escalation of things...dunno. don't blame people for bugging out of the city if they can.

My ####### office isn't offering any ideas or plans for what we'll be doing so I don't even think WFH will be on the table. And I can't afford to go very long without a paycheck unfortunately...my last out of work stint a couple years ago killed my backup plans. I suppose we could head to the inlaws in NoVa, which is where I intend to go for the zombie apocalypse...

I mean we’re seriously thinking about going to my parents place in NC.  My gut says the hospitals get overwhelmed in short order and then there’s the whole issue of what happens when someone in our apartment building gets it.  

Whether that results in looting is another question entirely, but leaving doesn’t seem as stupid of an option now that WFH for a month is almost a given.
Not saying it’s stupid by any stretch... but I’m not sure why folks assume that suburban hospitals won’t get overwhelmed just the same. And the ease to get necessities seems that much more difficult when you have to drive to the panic-riddled big boxes, which then become contagion labs unto themselves.

Personally, I’d never live in an area that I felt would be prone to riots or looting in bad times.  And at least in my life, I’ve only seen NYC get more resilient and community-like in times of acute pain.  

Then again, I don’t live in the City and recognize that fact.  Also, having family makes it that much more important to be extra cautious... just not sure the burbs will be markedly better... a country house or something, perhaps.  

The feel of the city has been changing by the hour...particularly today, with lines at stores like I've never seen.

People dealing w transportation seems normal though so far, aside from increasing face masks and gloves.

Dunno.

I wouldn't think looting from this. But given the rapid escalation of things...dunno. don't blame people for bugging out of the city if they can.

My ####### office isn't offering any ideas or plans for what we'll be doing so I don't even think WFH will be on the table. And I can't afford to go very long without a paycheck unfortunately...my last out of work stint a couple years ago killed my backup plans. I suppose we could head to the inlaws in NoVa, which is where I intend to go for the zombie apocalypse...
Let’s hope my thoughts are less naïveté and more truth... but I can see the concern growing.  I left late afternoon. As of yesterday the neighborhood oriented spots seemed to be busy as usual, but anything tourism type related was hurting (ie little Italy, the shopping spots of SOHO)

I’m not worried about the hospitals, my kids are 4/7 and my wife and I are healthy and in our 30s.

I’m worried that the city will have travel restrictions, people in my building will get it, supplies will be low, hospitals could be taxed, and a general sense of unrest. Furthermore, going stir crazy in an apartment with the wife and kids.

Found a few good rentals in FL for like $1,500 a week. 3k square foot house (I’ll stock it up), pool, jacuzzi, sun, and we can stay isolated there.

Take it 2 weeks at a time... If the city is well intact, we’ll be back in 2-4 week. Worst case scenario some sun and pool, best case I’ve avoided hell on Earth.

Every person that tells me I’m nuts, I default to the above. 

It's funny, when we bought our condo in Boise at the end of December it was with the thought that we've traveled everywhere outside of the country that we really wanted and this would be an opportunity to explore the west coast for a few years. Our plan this year was to go there for one week each month before hopefully moving there full time within the next year or two. Little did we realize that it might become our Escape from New York for real. We'll prepare to possibly not come back to NY for a while and don't have to consider any more trips to Europe since that won't be a thing for a few years probably. Not what we expected when we bought but life can be weird.

I’m not worried about the hospitals, my kids are 4/7 and my wife and I are healthy and in our 30s.

I’m worried that the city will have travel restrictions, people in my building will get it, supplies will be low, hospitals could be taxed, and a general sense of unrest. Furthermore, going stir crazy in an apartment with the wife and kids.

Found a few good rentals in FL for like $1,500 a week. 3k square foot house (I’ll stock it up), pool, jacuzzi, sun, and we can stay isolated there.

Take it 2 weeks at a time... If the city is well intact, we’ll be back in 2-4 week. Worst case scenario some sun and pool, best case I’ve avoided hell on Earth.

Every person that tells me I’m nuts, I default to the above. 
I'm not worried that much about how life will be around here but I think this is a pretty solid idea if you're the type of people who wouldn't mind adding a little more chaos to an unusual chaotic situation. 

Users who are viewing this thread