What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (2 Viewers)

ha! just left, we were down by the parachute jump & then at the brewery in front of the ballpark (owned friends of the fiancée)

going to a late afternoon BBQ in SHB - last two days were perfect weather, eh

after brunch in the WV yesterday we hung out at that ginormous 2 acre rooftop park on Pier 57 (Chelsea) - better vistas less crowded than City Islands
We were by the parachute too! At least while in the beach. A bit of time on the rides for the kids. And then a Nathan's for the road.

I've been wanting to get that rooftop park at city winery- that was our backup for today.

We spent some time at Crotona park after tennis yesterday...the entire park was hopping. Just like Coney today. Great days.

Took some friends to see the Pride parade.

Lemme rephrase...TRIED to take some friends to see the Pride parade.

Soooo crowded, we could even get near it. Probably easier to approach from the side rather than from downtown, but that was our route. The heat and multiple street (even to pedestrian crossings) closures didn't help our cause, so we turned around and gave up.

Never seen it like this...along with a zillion people set up trying to make a buck off it on the sidewalks- from rainbow whatever to cold water.

So, taking a trip to the city in July with my wife from 7/10-7/13.

We have 3 days to do whatever we want and this trip has been dreamed about for a long time.  I've been to NYC once in 2010 (for a wedding over New Years) and she's never been.  We are staying at my cousin's house up in Westchester for the first 2 nights, then staying in an Airbnb in Harlem for the next 2 nights and then fly home out of LaGuardia.

Things I know we will do:

• MET & MOMA.  We enjoy museums and will hit both of these and maybe one other if I find something that interests us.
  • Go to the top of either Empire State or the Rock.
  • Staten Island Ferry
  • 9-11 Memorial
  • Wander through Chinatown, Little Italy, Central Park, Wall Street, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge, Washington Square, Chelsea Market & the High Line
Would love to hear if anyone has a "must-see" spot, neighborhood, restaurant, shop, etc.  Our budget isn't very big, but we'd like to see any other sights worth seeing and eat some decent food (not really into fine dining or steakhouses...my wife loves farm-to-table and coffeeshop/bakery type places, I love good pizza, Italian and burger type places). I eyeballed Broadway shows, but the only one I'm enamored with is Hamilton and don't want to spend $150/ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I eyeballed Broadway shows, but the only one I'm enamored with is Hamilton and don't want to spend $150/ticket.
I believe they were $2300* for the worst seats in the house back when I saw the original cast (2016ish.) They weren’t obstructed but center of the row, back walk of the balcony. But due to steep stadium style seating at the Richard Rogers theatre it’s not that far to the stage even from there.

(*comped by my firm for hitting some quarterly targets)

Won the ticket lottery and going to see The Public Theater’s Shakespeare in the Park production of Richard III tonight. Seeing plays at Delacorte theater in Cebtral Park is an awesome summertime experience.

We have 3 days to do whatever we want and this trip has been dreamed about for a long time.  I've been to NYC once in 2010 (for a wedding over New Years) and she's never been.  We are staying at my cousin's house up in Westchester for the first 2 nights, then staying in an Airbnb in Harlem for the next 2 nights and then fly home out of LaGuardia.

• MET & MOMA.  We enjoy museums and will hit both of these and maybe one other if I find something that interests us.
  • Staten Island Ferry
  • 9-11 Memorial
  • Wander through Chinatown, Little Italy, Central Park, Wall Street, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge, Washington Square, Chelsea Market & the High Line
Would love to hear if anyone has a "must-see" spot, neighborhood, restaurant, shop, etc.  Our budget isn't very big, but we'd like to see any other sights worth seeing and eat some decent food (not really into fine dining or steakhouses...my wife loves farm-to-table and coffeeshop/bakery type places, I love good pizza, Italian and burger type places). I eyeballed Broadway shows, but the only one I'm enamored with is Hamilton and don't want to spend $150/ticket.
Pretty good plan here. Two things I always recommend:

Ellis Island

and

Lower East Side Tenement Museum

To understand New York - to understand America really - these two experiences are exceptionally well done. Immigrants, they get the job done. 

For the former, same ferry / tickets as the Statue of Liberty (which is fine but don’t feel bad if you skip.) Here’s the website for the LESTM - think you might be able to book a tour time in advance. 

Do that mid to late afternoon one day then take in some live music at Rockwood Music Hall. Three stages, shows every night starting at 6pm.

For dinner ideas PM @El Floppo (he loves when I name check him in random threads.)

Enjoy your stay!

ETA: it’s a 6 minute walk from the tenement museum to Rockwood. TONS of great neighborhood joints to rec but I’ll defer to Flop since it’s jus turf.

Last edited by a moderator:

• Staten Island Ferry
  • 9-11 Memorial
I am admittedly out of the loop on Broadway shows but $150 bucks a ticket is a steal. 

• Staten Island Ferry
  • 9-11 Memorial
Also you should factor in the probable heat when planning your days. Early morning hike and explore, plan to be in air conditioning (Met, Moma) by noon. Back to the hotel for a rest, then dinner and a show/nightlife spot. 

The American Museum of Natural History is on 81st St and Central Park West, the Guggenheim Museum is on 89th St and 5th Ave. Just as suggestions for that additional museum. There are tons of other smaller ones as well. 

The only problem with museums and short stays is AMNH is an all day deal. Same with the Met, the Whitney, et al. You could spend 10 days just scratching the surface of museums.

Theyre awesome & I’m a huge fan of BMA, the Frick, the Morgan Library, et al. I’m a bigger fan of not overpacking itineraries. Just enjoy the moment instead of pushing on to tick off another box.

The American Museum of Natural History is on 81st St and Central Park West, the Guggenheim Museum is on 89th St and 5th Ave. Just as suggestions for that additional museum. There are tons of other smaller ones as well. 
I'm not a huge fan of either, tbh. MNH- if you're into dinosaurs, bones, minerals, etc... I guess, cool. Guggenheim is a great building and an awful building in which to see art (because of the art on the ramps). but if there's a cool show to see, it's definitely worth it...show-dependent for me.

for art, it's always the MoMA. just in yo face modern masterpieces. big enough to see a lot, but concise enough where you can skip stuff too and just hone in on the paintings (or whatever else you want to see).

The only problem with museums and short stays is AMNH is an all day deal. Same with the Met, the Whitney, et al. You could spend 10 days just scratching the surface of museums.

Theyre awesome & I’m a huge fan of BMA, the Frick, the Morgan Library, et al. I’m a bigger fan of not overpacking itineraries. Just enjoy the moment instead of pushing on to tick off another box.
I had an abridged Met visit for visiting friends... been 10+ years since I did it though. always hung a right to the Temple of Dendur, and then upstairs to see some paintings...IIRC, the modern stuff was 2nd floor on the opposite side of the building from Dendur. usually along the way there'd be an exhibit that would catch our eyes, but if you avoid wandering through pottery and tapestries, it can be done in a couple hours.

and best part of the Met is (or at least, was- haven't been since Covid) the pay what you want element. I used to throw 5 or 10 down and enjoy.

I also used to do a driveby of Moma when I kept a membership... beeline to the fururists and then see what else would catch my eye.

Also you should factor in the probable heat when planning your days. Early morning hike and explore, plan to be in air conditioning (Met, Moma) by noon. Back to the hotel for a rest, then dinner and a show/nightlife spot. 
he's staying way uptown... will be harder to do stuff downtown, head uptown for a breather and then head back down town. 

I would've recommended being more central for this kind of trip... but I'm guessing the prices are a lot better up there (probably would've been ok in the LES or 2 Bridges area too).

• Staten Island Ferry
  • 9-11 Memorial

Ellis Island

and

To understand New York - to understand America really - these two experiences are exceptionally well done. Immigrants, they get the job done. 

For the former, same ferry / tickets as the Statue of Liberty (which is fine but don’t feel bad if you skip.) Here’s the website for the LESTM - think you might be able to book a tour time in advance. 

Do that mid to late afternoon one day then take in some live music at Rockwood Music Hall. Three stages, shows every night starting at 6pm.

For dinner ideas PM @El Floppo (he loves when I name check him in random threads.)

Enjoy your stay!

ETA: it’s a 6 minute walk from the tenement museum to Rockwood. TONS of great neighborhood joints to rec but I’ll defer to Flop since it’s jus turf.
I agree- sounds like a solid plan. some specific things, and then some more general things- to allow for wandering and exploring (the best part of the city). Nick's comment about heat and the amount of time you end up just walking around in the city is something to very seriously consider.

obviously, if they do a Statue of Liberty and/or Ellis Island trip, Staten Island ferry isn't needed. But tbh those two- while an amazing experience, do take up a lot of time...especially when paired. the SI ferry allows up close viewing of the statue for cheap and quick. for that matter, a walk over to the river from 9/11 site will allow a view of the statue as well for free (but not close).

if they do the LESTM (and with Met AND Moma both on the menu, I don't know that they'll have enough time), they'll be square in my hood. Katz's Deli is the obvious choice for a bite- but anticipate 30min + line/wait just to get in. Russ & Daughters down the street has been having the same problems, but a good option for a to-go traditional NY bagel and shmear (or lox or white-fish, etc). Laboritorio di Gelato is across the street from Katz's and my favorite ice cream in the city.

I believe they were $2300* for the worst seats in the house back when I saw the original cast (2016ish.) They weren’t obstructed but center of the row, back walk of the balcony. But due to steep stadium style seating at the Richard Rogers theatre it’s not that far to the stage even from there.

(*comped by my firm for hitting some quarterly targets)

Won the ticket lottery and going to see The Public Theater’s Shakespeare in the Park production of Richard III tonight. Seeing plays at Delacorte theater in Cebtral Park is an awesome summertime experience.

Ellis Island

and

Enjoy your stay!

The gift shop/bookshop at the Tenement Museum is underrated. They have some very smart, cool NYC-centric items there. 

My bachelor party dinner a few weeks back was at Gnocci

Magnificent

337 East 10th Street, New York, NY 10009 (top of Tompkins Sq Prk)

Recommended for both tourists + FBGs looking for a date night spot with their wife

Tale of two boroughs 

Brooklyn Wednesday night (Finback in Gowanus) - nary a mask in site

Manhattan tonight (Jeju Noodle Bar - WV) - masks until seated, tables between opaque partitions, 100% staff masked, sanitizer + proof of vaccines @ entrance

Tale of two boroughs 

Brooklyn Wednesday night (Finback in Gowanus) - nary a mask in site

Manhattan tonight (Jeju Noodle Bar - WV) - masks until seated, tables between opaque partitions, 100% staff masked, sanitizer + proof of vaccines @ entrance
I think it's also how quickly this damned variant is sweeping through everything... wed to fri.

I don't seen many masks at all around town.

I think it's also how quickly this damned variant is sweeping through everything... wed to fri.

I don't seen many masks at all around town.
I can see 20-25 people from where I’m sitting on the B train in Brooklyn

3-4 masks

we’re not wearing ours rn - not anti mask by any means, sometimes just forget (we have them with us whenever we leave)

Have I shared this before? Apologies if this is a Honda.

I know this woman who is a con artist, Kate Gladstone. Knew she was grifting people 9 years ago when our daughters were in Kindergarten together (her kid was already a bully btw.) Just kind of wrote it off as a perpetual adolescent and forgot about her. Except I keep reading these stories about her every few years.

Cannot believe this is STILL going on. Can’t even fathom this even exists in the periphery of my life. Like something straight out of a movie.

West Village ‘grifter’ Kate Gladstone finally locked out of apartment after eviction

backstory:

The Nightmare Share

Excerpt:

To a group of mothers
at P.S. 3, where Lily had been a student since 2013, Gladstone was just another member of their tight-knit community. “She was very vivacious,” one says. They would drop their kids off and hang out on a bench nearby, smoking, drinking coffee, and chitchatting — “See you at bench” was their catchphrase. Gladstone’s ongoing custody battle would often dominate the conversation. She described her ex as a deadbeat who had little contact with their daughter.

Many knew that the pair constantly stayed in different rentals, even hotels, which made her kid perennially late. Gladstone was often asking if Lily, whose backpack always held sleepover necessities, could stay at her classmates’ homes, several parents told me. She would show up hours late for a drink or social event, saying she had been on a deadline, though they never actually understood clearly what she did for work. Online, Gladstone’s film credits are extremely sparse, mostly for being a “greensman,” someone who tends to flora. She would say she was location scouting, one person who knew her remembers, but was never able to name the film. “I have a pretty good ******** detector,” says Jocelyn Anker, the PTA president, who knew Gladstone from when she served as class parent. “I would probe her because I’m a producer, and she would kind of always backpedal and not really give me very specific answers.”

Their unstructured lifestyle was sort of odd, but most of the parents just figured, That’s New York. Gladstone, a few of them said, was clearly devoted to her daughter. The pair projected a kind of us-against-the-world closeness.

But at least one mother at P.S. 3, who asked to remain anonymous, realized there was something darker and more bizarre going on when Gladstone and Lily stayed with her in Brooklyn in 2015. Though she knew Gladstone only casually, she recognized the “single-mom call,” said the woman, who was also divorced. The stay was only supposed to be for a few days while their apartment was being painted, but it turned into well over a week: The mother says Gladstone sat on her patio chain-smoking, drinking wine, and talking on the phone for hours. Even though their kids were in school together, Gladstone kept Lily home most days. At one point, the host threw a birthday party for her son, and Gladstone walked in wearing the woman’s clothes. The final straw, the woman said, was when she found a folded-up $20 bill in a room Gladstone had recently been in; it had white powder inside. She took a photo of the object and immediately told Gladstone she needed to leave. When she did, Gladstone took several items with her, including the woman’s jeans and a leather jacket. “I got her out of my life as quickly as possible,” the parent says. “I’m not the kind of person to go around blabbing about it. I didn’t realize it was a detriment to the whole community.”

Netflix needs to option this, practically writes itself. Pacific Heights level creepiness.

I know this woman who is a con artist, Kate Gladstone. Knew she was grifting people 9 years ago when our daughters were in Kindergarten together (her kid was already a bully btw.) Just kind of wrote it off as a perpetual adolescent and forgot about her. Except I keep reading these stories about her every few years.

Cannot believe this is STILL going on. Can’t even fathom this even exists in the periphery of my life. Like something straight out of a movie.

West Village ‘grifter’ Kate Gladstone finally locked out of apartment after eviction

backstory:

The Nightmare Share

Excerpt:

To a group of mothers
at P.S. 3, where Lily had been a student since 2013, Gladstone was just another member of their tight-knit community. “She was very vivacious,” one says. They would drop their kids off and hang out on a bench nearby, smoking, drinking coffee, and chitchatting — “See you at bench” was their catchphrase. Gladstone’s ongoing custody battle would often dominate the conversation. She described her ex as a deadbeat who had little contact with their daughter.

Many knew that the pair constantly stayed in different rentals, even hotels, which made her kid perennially late. Gladstone was often asking if Lily, whose backpack always held sleepover necessities, could stay at her classmates’ homes, several parents told me. She would show up hours late for a drink or social event, saying she had been on a deadline, though they never actually understood clearly what she did for work. Online, Gladstone’s film credits are extremely sparse, mostly for being a “greensman,” someone who tends to flora. She would say she was location scouting, one person who knew her remembers, but was never able to name the film. “I have a pretty good ******** detector,” says Jocelyn Anker, the PTA president, who knew Gladstone from when she served as class parent. “I would probe her because I’m a producer, and she would kind of always backpedal and not really give me very specific answers.”

Their unstructured lifestyle was sort of odd, but most of the parents just figured, That’s New York. Gladstone, a few of them said, was clearly devoted to her daughter. The pair projected a kind of us-against-the-world closeness.

But at least one mother at P.S. 3, who asked to remain anonymous, realized there was something darker and more bizarre going on when Gladstone and Lily stayed with her in Brooklyn in 2015. Though she knew Gladstone only casually, she recognized the “single-mom call,” said the woman, who was also divorced. The stay was only supposed to be for a few days while their apartment was being painted, but it turned into well over a week: The mother says Gladstone sat on her patio chain-smoking, drinking wine, and talking on the phone for hours. Even though their kids were in school together, Gladstone kept Lily home most days. At one point, the host threw a birthday party for her son, and Gladstone walked in wearing the woman’s clothes. The final straw, the woman said, was when she found a folded-up $20 bill in a room Gladstone had recently been in; it had white powder inside. She took a photo of the object and immediately told Gladstone she needed to leave. When she did, Gladstone took several items with her, including the woman’s jeans and a leather jacket. “I got her out of my life as quickly as possible,” the parent says. “I’m not the kind of person to go around blabbing about it. I didn’t realize it was a detriment to the whole community.”

Netflix needs to option this, practically writes itself. Pacific Heights level creepiness.
I feel bad for the kid, even if she's a bully.

backstory:

The Nightmare Share

Excerpt:

To a group of mothers

I feel bad for the kid, even if she's a bully.

Of course. I’m not blaming the kid. Am def angry this woman has basically raised her child surrounded by deceit & casual lies to take advantage of others.

That girl is now 14 now & I shudder to think about the life that lies ahead for her. The dad is a film director based in Germany & for the most part MIA.

Proposed Bill Would Allow New Yorkers to Narc on Vehicles Blocking Bike Lanes​

Narcs would get 25% of the $175 fine.

:stirspot:Mwahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sort of like the idling car law. Really interesting article on it from times and back and forth between truck drivers and folks reporting it.

Noticed significant increase of police on subway. Last few weeks, almost every time I am on I see them, in groups of two.
it's been months with them at the platforms at most stations... finally getting onto the trains is a great thing.

I wish they wouldn't be looking at their phones every time I see them... but very happy to have their presence out and about.

Noticed significant increase of police on subway. Last few weeks, almost every time I am on I see them, in groups of two.
it's been months with them at the platforms at most stations... finally getting onto the trains is a great thing.

I wish they wouldn't be looking at their phones every time I see them... but very happy to have their presence out and about.
Why are you happy to have their presence? Serious question.

I’m in NY almost every week for work, walk around late at night talking on the phone, literally have had zero issues. Is crime that bad? If so, where? How am I lucky enough to be missing the crime wave, walking solo at 11pm / 12am many nights?

I’m in NY almost every week for work, walk around late at night talking on the phone, literally have had zero issues. Is crime that bad? If so, where? How am I lucky enough to be missing the crime wave, walking solo at 11pm / 12am many nights?
we were talking about the subway. on the subway... lots of quality of life stuff and people doing things because they've gotten away with it since Covid. on top of the headline grabbing bigger things. police presence makes those people shrink back to normal and not be assholes, or criminals.

walking around? has been fine for 20+ years- but of course, you need to be aware of where you are. if you're walking in the wrong spot at midnight, you need to be more aware.

we were talking about the subway. on the subway... lots of quality of life stuff and people doing things because they've gotten away with it since Covid. on top of the headline grabbing bigger things. police presence makes those people shrink back to normal and not be assholes, or criminals.

walking around? has been fine for 20+ years- but of course, you need to be aware of where you are. if you're walking in the wrong spot at midnight, you need to be more aware.
Yeah, sorry for switching gears. I take the subway all the time. 2-4 times per day when in town. Haven’t had any issues — and this goes back to August 2021. 18+ months now.

Walking around anywhere in Manhattan, you are pretty much fine.

The subway has gotten much worse the last few years.

Yeah, sorry for switching gears. I take the subway all the time. 2-4 times per day when in town. Haven’t had any issues — and this goes back to August 2021. 18+ months now.

ok? not sure what point youre trying to make here. two people who live here have seen and had issues on the subway and platforms. I"ve only lived here 30 years... but I'll defer to your take here I guess.

You know, this is why it seems the same, because it is--to you. Pre-Covid, there was a LOT less crazy on the train.

You know, this is why it seems the same, because it is--to you. Pre-Covid, there was a LOT less crazy on the train.
he's spent time here basically since Adams took over... as a crime/cop mayor.

day to day stuff escalated a ton prior to that... without any policing. my wife and kids were threatened so many times on the subway, they stopped taking it entirely and only took the bus. the slow as hell bus. I was threatened and aggravated and saw so much **** go down- in some ways worse than the 80s- that I stopped taking the train unless I absolutely had to. we saw what happened without any constraint- it's nice to see the pendulum swing to more beat cops out and about to reign it back in. granted- I don't see them actually doing much... but I genuinely believe just their presence is keep a lot of that previous stuff at bay.

he's spent time here basically since Adams took over... as a crime/cop mayor.

day to day stuff escalated a ton prior to that... without any policing. my wife and kids were threatened so many times on the subway, they stopped taking it entirely and only took the bus. the slow as hell bus. I was threatened and aggravated and saw so much **** go down- in some ways worse than the 80s- that I stopped taking the train unless I absolutely had to. we saw what happened without any constraint- it's nice to see the pendulum swing to more beat cops out and about to reign it back in. granted- I don't see them actually doing much... but I genuinely believe just their presence is keep a lot of that previous stuff at bay.
Man. That really sucks. I love NY so much, hate to see it go back anywhere near the 80s experience. Hope you and the family don’t have to deal with the nonsense going forward floppo.

ok? not sure what point youre trying to make here. two people who live here have seen and had issues on the subway and platforms. I"ve only lived here 30 years... but I'll defer to your take here I guess.
I’m not disputing your experience — truly am shocked by how bad it has been. I lived in NY (not for 30 years, so nothing close to you) but have also spent tons of time there for work in between. It’s both sad and crazy to hear how bad it has been for others (and it doesn’t line up with my experience, but that has been limited vs yours). Just surprised. Nothing more.

The difference between London and NYC subway makes me very angry.
we were there for spring break- I hadn't been in... sheesh... 20 years. I was so surprised at how clean the city was (granted, we were staying near Picadilly, so a busier/central/shopping/theater/tourist spot). and the subways- they have some of the trains that are made like the double buses here with the accordion in the middle... so it ends up being just one super long car the length of the train with no break in between "cars". all open. a little discombobulating seeing SO many people left and right. but super clean and easy to use.

Heading to NYC on the 10th for my daughter's wedding. Have a few things lined up with the group. Couple of dinners, Hadestown on Broadway, etc. I'll scour this thread. We'll be in the Lower East Side as a base. Any great recommendations for Asian food, especially dim sum? Any other can't miss food options?

Heading to NYC on the 10th for my daughter's wedding. Have a few things lined up with the group. Couple of dinners, Hadestown on Broadway, etc. I'll scour this thread. We'll be in the Lower East Side as a base. Any great recommendations for Asian food, especially dim sum? Any other can't miss food options?

Congratulations!

Enjoy Hadestown, it’s a hoot.

Dim sum:

Jing Fong (202 Centre - new location)
Golden Unicorn (18 East Broadway)

These are two solid LT standards, very big, reliable, lots of variety, good for groups.

Asian Jewels, House of Joy, East Harbor Seafood Palace, Ying Hei, and Royal Seafood are all fine.

Shy Joao Fu Zhou has amazing Fujianese dumplings. Cash only & always packed but they’re super efficient wrt turnover. (295 Grand)

Korean:

8282 (84 Stanton) - low key vibe, food is fire.

Enjoy your stay & hope the wedding is perfect.

If you need a doorway to vomit in, please stop by.

Where in the LES will you be?

Users who are viewing this thread