What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL 2008 is the suxor (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Hey all,

Just didn’t feel like breaking them all down this week. I also have a very ho hum attitude about the NFL at the moment. There is a list of things that are just terribly wrong in my opinion so I thought I might write about that and get some feed back form the board, see if anyone agrees or disagrees.

First of all, I do love the NFL, and when I look back at all the seasons I have watched there are some really special moments and some amazing football teams and players I have been able to see over the years. I hated the 49ers during the 80s but no one can deny the talent on that team, the offense that changed the NFL forever, Joe Monatana and Jerry Rice. The 90s brought along a rival between the Dallas Cowboys and 49ers during the early 90s and those teams won another 4 titles between the 2 of them from 1992-1996. We then got treated to QBs like Brett Favre and finally watched a QB from the class of ’83 win a couple titles when John Elway won back to back Super Bowls with Denver. These were great stories, and great players. The present decade was obviously dominated with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning competing in 5 Super Bowls and winning 4 of them. We had a great rivalry between Tony Dungy who conquered personal heartbreak with the suicide of his son, and Bill Bellicheck who may or may not have cheated his way thru some of those Super Bowl runs. But we had gripping stories, heros like Pat Tillman, records broken by LaDainian Tomlinson…but now…

Every day I turn on an NFL update show, or Sportscenter, or God forbid the local newspaper, it just seems like the headlines are dominated with this type of stuff…Larry Johnson punches woman, Plaxico Burress suspended for mouthing off, Santonio Holmes suspended for marijuana, PacMan Jones in a fight, it goes on and on and on and on. I never remember this much crap happening when Paul Tagliabue was running things. Maybe he was too soft, but I think Goodell has gone to the extreme the other way. I don’t hear about football anymore, all I hear is about players getting suspended left and right, getting arrested left and right, and also simply being accused of things months after they have happened. It almost seems like people are encouraged to tell these stories so players will get in trouble even if they were never even arrested.

Message to Roger: If the police don’t make an arrest, you don’t need to lay down corporal discipline and punishment on top of things. Maybe we need to start referring to Goody Goody Goodell as Mother Superior…enough already. I don’t condone players getting away with things, I really do believe they should do the right things, but I also know that I am far from perfect, most of you are too, and those that live in glass houses should not be firing off mortar rockets at the neighbors, OK?

Next, where are the really good teams? I give the Giants their props but they went 10-6 last year, got hot during the playoffs, pulled off the biggest SB upset of all time, and they are 6-1 this year but no one is really talking them up. They don’t excite a lot of people outside of their fan base. Eli has the personality of a paper weight, and really what other teams in the NFC are you going to talk up? Washington is winning but some of those wins are pretty blah. Dallas is once again not living up to expectations. Maybe Tampa Bay would have been fun but they lost against a punch less Dallas team last week. Carolina? Arizona lost to them as well last week. And the AFC is a bunch of nothing after Tennessee. New England, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Denver…all shams. None of them are really that great so we don’t get a lot as fans to be excited about. And the Titans are pretty strong but very boring and you have to think they will not allow Vince Young to take the team back this year, and Kerry Collins cannot throw the ball downfield to save his life nor does he have any WR to throw it to. I’m saying that Tennessee will have to throw their way thru a playoff game and come up miserably short, sorry Titan fans, don’t take it personally, you have a really strong OL and DL, you are Brad Childress’s wet dream.

And then there is FF. We have seen the game evolve to where a ton of teams are running 2 back systems, and it has watered down the impact of a lot of these high picks we take in redraft leagues. Almost everyone is sharing the workload, watching short TDs go to back ups and COP types, or there is simple a flat out split of touches. The teams I see dominating this year have a slew of topflight WR. In leagues where I have a strong winning record, the bulk of my team is an explosive stable of WR. Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Lee Evans, Terrell Owens(on my bench), Santana Moss….some form of that nucleus is carrying me to the playoffs.

I have been a closet basketball fan for several years, moving to Los Angeles I got caught up in the Lakers right when they took off for their 3 year run with Kobe and Shaq…now I am finding myself actually wanting to sit down and watch the games in October when I should be glued to the NFL. But the Western Conference in the NBA has so many stacked good teams…the top 4-6 could all make a run, it’s fun to watch these guys square off night in and night out. There really aren’t 4-6 teams in the NFL right now that I would be aching to watch. Name some great games you could put together right now.

Tennessee/New York? Maybe

Pittsburgh/Denver? Not that exciting

New England/Indy? Do you really care this weekend?

I have a hard time finding anything to get really excited about this year and I also find the NFL to be more about legal issues lately. Goodell was being a hardass because he wanted to crack down and make sure the NFL is not in the headlines for the wrong reasons. I think it has back fired on him and now all you read about is players in trouble. When I was a freshman in college way back when Dallas was beginning their dynasty in the 90s, an ex-NY City Cop was our security at the dorm I stayed. He told me that he was always taught and also learned on the force, to never go looking for trouble…Goodell should heed some of that advice. I think he is looking to make examples out of these guys and this is turning from the NFL to the CPL very quickly.

I’ll be back doing the usual next week, sorry if this sounds like an old man yapping in a barber’s chair about the good ole days, but I just have to vent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely agree with much of what you're saying.

But I need to know - James or Green-Ellis this week?

first of all, i agree with everything goodell is doing ... matter of fact, he should be doing more.

face it, if these thugs couldn't catch, pass, run, tackle, kick, etc ... they'd be doing hard time, not just facing disciplinary action from the commish. i mean, ferchrissakes, leonard little is guilty of vehicular homicide! pacman jones sanctioned a shooting that paralyzed someone ... larry johnson smacks women around, etc, etc, etc. i shed no tears for these fools, and they deserve every bit of grief handed to them.

secondly, i'm not a fanboy of any player/team ... i'm interested in the sport for monetary reasons solely. i could care less if a team craps out, loses a heartbreaker, etc. if there is a wager on the line, well, it comes with the territory, i get over it easily. but, my life could never revolve around the ups and downs of a team ... like being crushed if they lose a game, and having it eat me up ... for what? so many more important things in this world to be concerned about ...

reading some of these game threads, where grown men chest thump and sabre rattle about their team is high comedy to me, especially when they refer to said teams as "WE" ... really? you're on the roster? you make a difference in the outcome?

look, to each their own, and if being so ardent a fanboy is someone's thing, so be it. it just isn't my cup of tea.

a very good quote from a movie regarding this ... in "Bronx Tale" .... cologeno is talking to sonny about mickey mantle ... how big of a fan he is of the mick, and sonny says "oh yeah? see if your family can't pay their rent next month ... go to mickey ... you think he'd care?"

these athletes are humans, like you and me. with that comes flaws, some of them serious. it's a microcosm of society, amplified because of the spotlight they perform under. to worship, or live and die with their exploits will lead to disapointment ... that you can bet on.

btw, mop, i've always enjoyed your posts, and this malaise you feel is understood ... though i disagree about the discipline.

first of all, i agree with everything goodell is doing ... matter of fact, he should be doing more.face it, if these thugs couldn't catch, pass, run, tackle, kick, etc ... they'd be doing hard time, not just facing disciplinary action from the commish. i mean, ferchrissakes, leonard little is guilty of vehicular homicide! pacman jones sanctioned a shooting that paralyzed someone ... larry johnson smacks women around, etc, etc, etc. i shed no tears for these fools, and they deserve every bit of grief handed to them.secondly, i'm not a fanboy of any player/team ... i'm interested in the sport for monetary reasons solely. i could care less if a team craps out, loses a heartbreaker, etc. if there is a wager on the line, well, it comes with the territory, i get over it easily. but, my life could never revolve around the ups and downs of a team ... like being crushed if they lose a game, and having it eat me up ... for what? so many more important things in this world to be concerned about ... reading some of these game threads, where grown men chest thump and sabre rattle about their team is high comedy to me, especially when they refer to said teams as "WE" ... really? you're on the roster? you make a difference in the outcome? look, to each their own, and if being so ardent a fanboy is someone's thing, so be it. it just isn't my cup of tea.a very good quote from a movie regarding this ... in "Bronx Tale" .... cologeno is talking to sonny about mickey mantle ... how big of a fan he is of the mick, and sonny says "oh yeah? see if your family can't pay their rent next month ... go to mickey ... you think he'd care?"these athletes are humans, like you and me. with that comes flaws, some of them serious. it's a microcosm of society, amplified because of the spotlight they perform under. to worship, or live and die with their exploits will lead to disapointment ... that you can bet on.btw, mop, i've always enjoyed your posts, and this malaise you feel is understood ... though i disagree about the discipline.
Hey OTB, nice post, we are clearly on different sides of the aisle in some of this, nothing wrong with that. You're hoenst, I give you that too. You basically say you are not a real fan for anyo one team and basically look at the NFL as a means to gamble and try to make money. That's fine but I don't think you are the guy the NFL is trying to market the game to, yes/no? I root for Miami and Tampa Bay as I lived in both places for long periods of time, grew up in Miami, lived from 18-25 in Tampa...just always rooted for these teams although I get more and more distanced from the Bucs each season. Still love their uniforms though, the pewter and red is da bomb. I think Goodell needs to try and keep this stuff out of the press if possible...give you an example. The NY GInats have been fining Plax for a long time but you never heard about it till very recently...I like that and thik it speaks merit to a team I already have a lot of respect for.

I agree with a lot of your points, but as a Titans fan I'm loving it.

Also as a guy who appreciates morals, Goddell is doing the right stuff for off the field activities, on the field I say let boys be boys as long as they aren't purposely hurting each other. TD celebrations - I just don't care.

Sorry MOP...have to disagree entirely.

The NFL purposefully morphed itself into a more competitive league, where more teams are in the race later in the season. We can debate how good a move that was, but the truth is....it worked. More fans get to root for THEIR team later into the season, and the NFL's popularity is quickly rising.

Goodell is still new at his job. The players are still adjusting to his style of discipline. Many of us believe what he's doing will ultimately be good for the league (except for the over-protection of QB's...but that's besides the point!)

As far as "watered down" first round talent...you're off base. We've had numerous studies in FBG showing that RB1 carries are about what they've always been. It's the RB2 carries that are up at the expense of RB3/4's. Top RB values are only diluted because there are more mediocre RB's to back them up with. With more mediocre backs comes more surprise backs...more deep values in fantasy. RBBC is NOT a real trend. It's actually more of a trending AWAY from "backups by commitee". I, for one...love it! Why is that a bad thing?????? I mean...we've always had deep Wr's...why not deep RB's???

If you don't like it...then play in a league forcing 3 RB starters. That'll stress the RB pool back to what you consider the good old days.

I think one problem is that we're all coming along to the realization that the NFL is a BUSINESS first and a sports league second (if anyone didn't know that already). Goodell is cracking down because it's bad for the brand, not because he has some distaste for unruly behavior. Over the past few years, the NFL has shown itself to be very creative in the ways it bleeds a few extra dollars out of fans and TV networks.

Why can't Chad have Ocho Cinco on his jersey? Money. Nothing more. Why do teams have to travel all the way to London when NFL Europe couldn't maintain its presence there? Building the brand and the desire for more money.

Fans show MUCH more loyalty toward the league and teams than the players do. A player will ditch a team in a heartbeat to play for a rival if the signing bonus is better. The players who play don't necessarily love the game. They love the money.

We're watching an interesting corporation conduct its business once a week and we pay for that privilege. Imagine if Google charged $100 for one of its T-shirts. What if Apple charged a grand to attend its board meetings every year? It's not really all that different.

They'll tweak the game and the format so fans in more cities will feel good about their teams for a longer period of time during the season-- because that brings in more money. But as long as the league can make billions staging games (real and fake) for half a year, I don't think the trend is going to change anytime soon.

first of all, i agree with everything goodell is doing ... matter of fact, he should be doing more.face it, if these thugs couldn't catch, pass, run, tackle, kick, etc ... they'd be doing hard time, not just facing disciplinary action from the commish. i mean, ferchrissakes, leonard little is guilty of vehicular homicide! pacman jones sanctioned a shooting that paralyzed someone ... larry johnson smacks women around, etc, etc, etc. i shed no tears for these fools, and they deserve every bit of grief handed to them.secondly, i'm not a fanboy of any player/team ... i'm interested in the sport for monetary reasons solely. i could care less if a team craps out, loses a heartbreaker, etc. if there is a wager on the line, well, it comes with the territory, i get over it easily. but, my life could never revolve around the ups and downs of a team ... like being crushed if they lose a game, and having it eat me up ... for what? so many more important things in this world to be concerned about ... reading some of these game threads, where grown men chest thump and sabre rattle about their team is high comedy to me, especially when they refer to said teams as "WE" ... really? you're on the roster? you make a difference in the outcome? look, to each their own, and if being so ardent a fanboy is someone's thing, so be it. it just isn't my cup of tea.a very good quote from a movie regarding this ... in "Bronx Tale" .... cologeno is talking to sonny about mickey mantle ... how big of a fan he is of the mick, and sonny says "oh yeah? see if your family can't pay their rent next month ... go to mickey ... you think he'd care?"these athletes are humans, like you and me. with that comes flaws, some of them serious. it's a microcosm of society, amplified because of the spotlight they perform under. to worship, or live and die with their exploits will lead to disapointment ... that you can bet on.btw, mop, i've always enjoyed your posts, and this malaise you feel is understood ... though i disagree about the discipline.
Hey OTB, nice post, we are clearly on different sides of the aisle in some of this, nothing wrong with that. You're hoenst, I give you that too. You basically say you are not a real fan for anyo one team and basically look at the NFL as a means to gamble and try to make money. That's fine but I don't think you are the guy the NFL is trying to market the game to, yes/no? I root for Miami and Tampa Bay as I lived in both places for long periods of time, grew up in Miami, lived from 18-25 in Tampa...just always rooted for these teams although I get more and more distanced from the Bucs each season. Still love their uniforms though, the pewter and red is da bomb. I think Goodell needs to try and keep this stuff out of the press if possible...give you an example. The NY GInats have been fining Plax for a long time but you never heard about it till very recently...I like that and thik it speaks merit to a team I already have a lot of respect for.
thanks, mop ... excellent posts here from you as well.to be clear, i'm not denigrating "fans", just giving my take on things. it doesn't make sense to me, but that's just one man's viewpoint.as far as marketing the league to people like me is concerened, no ... i don't fit the ideal demographic. however, fantasy has bought my attention back to the sport. matter of fact, fantasy football is a huge upshot for the sport, because it brings people like me, who outgrew ardent patronage, back to the fold. it also grabs the casual fan, whose interest is piqued by their "hobby".fantasy football is much akin to horseracing ... inasmuch that you look at past performances, factor in drops or upgrades in class, factor in conditions, etc. if you take it seriously, and invest time and money, it compels you to do your homework.i joined two big money leagues several years ago ... the nfl had lost me as someone who gave any thought to it ... but, being in these leagues bought me back, and i follow the "day to day" now because it is in my best interests to be educated.

Hey all,Just didn’t feel like breaking them all down this week. I also have a very ho hum attitude about the NFL at the moment. There is a list of things that are just terribly wrong in my opinion so I thought I might write about that and get some feed back form the board, see if anyone agrees or disagrees.First of all, I do love the NFL, and when I look back at all the seasons I have watched there are some really special moments and some amazing football teams and players I have been able to see over the years. I hated the 49ers during the 80s but no one can deny the talent on that team, the offense that changed the NFL forever, Joe Monatana and Jerry Rice. The 90s brought along a rival between the Dallas Cowboys and 49ers during the early 90s and those teams won another 4 titles between the 2 of them from 1992-1996. We then got treated to QBs like Brett Favre and finally watched a QB from the class of ’83 win a couple titles when John Elway won back to back Super Bowls with Denver. These were great stories, and great players. The present decade was obviously dominated with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning competing in 5 Super Bowls and winning 4 of them. We had a great rivalry between Tony Dungy who conquered personal heartbreak with the suicide of his son, and Bill Bellicheck who may or may not have cheated his way thru some of those Super Bowl runs. But we had gripping stories, heros like Pat Tillman, records broken by LaDainian Tomlinson…but now…Every day I turn on an NFL update show, or Sportscenter, or God forbid the local newspaper, it just seems like the headlines are dominated with this type of stuff…Larry Johnson punches woman, Plaxico Burress suspended for mouthing off, Santonio Holmes suspended for marijuana, PacMan Jones in a fight, it goes on and on and on and on. I never remember this much crap happening when Paul Tagliabue was running things. Maybe he was too soft, but I think Goodell has gone to the extreme the other way. I don’t hear about football anymore, all I hear is about players getting suspended left and right, getting arrested left and right, and also simply being accused of things months after they have happened. It almost seems like people are encouraged to tell these stories so players will get in trouble even if they were never even arrested. Message to Roger: If the police don’t make an arrest, you don’t need to lay down corporal discipline and punishment on top of things. Maybe we need to start referring to Goody Goody Goodell as Mother Superior…enough already. I don’t condone players getting away with things, I really do believe they should do the right things, but I also know that I am far from perfect, most of you are too, and those that live in glass houses should not be firing off mortar rockets at the neighbors, OK?Next, where are the really good teams? I give the Giants their props but they went 10-6 last year, got hot during the playoffs, pulled off the biggest SB upset of all time, and they are 6-1 this year but no one is really talking them up. They don’t excite a lot of people outside of their fan base. Eli has the personality of a paper weight, and really what other teams in the NFC are you going to talk up? Washington is winning but some of those wins are pretty blah. Dallas is once again not living up to expectations. Maybe Tampa Bay would have been fun but they lost against a punch less Dallas team last week. Carolina? Arizona lost to them as well last week. And the AFC is a bunch of nothing after Tennessee. New England, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Denver…all shams. None of them are really that great so we don’t get a lot as fans to be excited about. And the Titans are pretty strong but very boring and you have to think they will not allow Vince Young to take the team back this year, and Kerry Collins cannot throw the ball downfield to save his life nor does he have any WR to throw it to. I’m saying that Tennessee will have to throw their way thru a playoff game and come up miserably short, sorry Titan fans, don’t take it personally, you have a really strong OL and DL, you are Brad Childress’s wet dream. And then there is FF. We have seen the game evolve to where a ton of teams are running 2 back systems, and it has watered down the impact of a lot of these high picks we take in redraft leagues. Almost everyone is sharing the workload, watching short TDs go to back ups and COP types, or there is simple a flat out split of touches. The teams I see dominating this year have a slew of topflight WR. In leagues where I have a strong winning record, the bulk of my team is an explosive stable of WR. Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, Lee Evans, Terrell Owens(on my bench), Santana Moss….some form of that nucleus is carrying me to the playoffs. I have been a closet basketball fan for several years, moving to Los Angeles I got caught up in the Lakers right when they took off for their 3 year run with Kobe and Shaq…now I am finding myself actually wanting to sit down and watch the games in October when I should be glued to the NFL. But the Western Conference in the NBA has so many stacked good teams…the top 4-6 could all make a run, it’s fun to watch these guys square off night in and night out. There really aren’t 4-6 teams in the NFL right now that I would be aching to watch. Name some great games you could put together right now. Tennessee/New York? MaybePittsburgh/Denver? Not that excitingNew England/Indy? Do you really care this weekend?I have a hard time finding anything to get really excited about this year and I also find the NFL to be more about legal issues lately. Goodell was being a hardass because he wanted to crack down and make sure the NFL is not in the headlines for the wrong reasons. I think it has back fired on him and now all you read about is players in trouble. When I was a freshman in college way back when Dallas was beginning their dynasty in the 90s, an ex-NY City Cop was our security at the dorm I stayed. He told me that he was always taught and also learned on the force, to never go looking for trouble…Goodell should heed some of that advice. I think he is looking to make examples out of these guys and this is turning from the NFL to the CPL very quickly.I’ll be back doing the usual next week, sorry if this sounds like an old man yapping in a barber’s chair about the good ole days, but I just have to vent.
I will tell you one thing that has sucked the life and excitement out of football games (and you are talking about someone who has 5 TV's in 1 room to get all the games) is instant replay.I don't want to turn this into a the 4 page report of why I hate it, but I will make a few points. There is less of a such thing as cheering a play because you end up having to wait to see the replay before knowing what they will call.Does anyone really know what a catch is anymore?the tuck play - why not just run to the sidelines and keep pump faking, if you get hit you were in the act of throwingMomentum - This is ruined constantly by coaches questioning what they can review and can't, the replay itself and the insipid 2 minute reviews where they review a 1 yard gain for the spot on 3rd and 11... and stopping momentum (which is huge in football).We get less football now because the clock runs after some penalties and out of bounds plays (because the reviews were making the game go too long).BTW, the lack of logic where a team can't review in the final 2 minutes is one of the most absurd things I can ever imagine and shows that there are some clueless people pulling this thing together. Why not, can someone explain that one?Finally, i want to point out that I was a huge "pusher" of the instant replay because I wanted them to get the right call on the field. As a drafted baseball player, I wanted the right call on the field at all costs...I WAS CLEARLY WRONG!!! THE COST IS TOO HIGH.

Personally, I disagree that the NFL is "boring" this year. I like to see competitive games and surprise teams bubble up to the top on a given week. This year has more competition and surprises than the "all hail the Patriots" 2007 season. If I want to see the same teams dominate year after year, I'll watch the NBA. In terms of FF, there's only one team that has a nearly flawless record, and many others are bunched up in the top and middle 1/4 of the league. Even though we let 8/12 teams make the playoffs (not a rule I fully agree with), those 8 teams aren't as clearly defined as they've been in the last 4-5 seasons. Different teams are putting up high scores every week unlike last year where the teams with Brady and Moss were pretty much untouchable.

Now where I do agree with you is the NFL getting too touchy on penalties and fines...I still think the tuck rule is the dumbest rule in all of professional sports (and even though I'm a Broncos fan, the controversy over the Broncos/Chargers game has that wonderful rule to blame for that), it's a crime that pass interference is not reviewable, and penalizing players for TD celebrations that don't involve props or disrupt the game for minutes takes away part of what gets the fans fired up. I'm also a bit surprised that with all the technological advances we have today that we can't have some better system of determining when a ball passes the goal line or a first down marker- if we can put a chip in a puck years ago to enhance TV viewing, why can't we put a chip in a football that definitively says when the ball passes a certain point on the field?

Running a major sports league can't be easy- but I'll take the Goodells anyday over the likes of Selig and Stern who have grown out of touch with their sports and think they can sell themselves on history. I do wish more thought would be put into the Pro Bowl to make it relevant and changing the international events to the preseason rather than during the regular season, but the successes outweigh the shortcomings for me.

The present decade was obviously dominated with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning competing in 5 Super Bowls and winning 4 of them. We had a great rivalry between Tony Dungy who conquered personal heartbreak with the suicide of his son, and Bill Bellicheck who may or may not have cheated his way thru some of those Super Bowl runs.
When we begin to see the world in good versus evil terms, we lose sight of the beauty that is all around us. Original sin is not about unconsecrated sex; original sin is eating from the tree of knowledge -> viewing everything in life as good or bad, judging things, identifying flaws. With apologies for the platitude, you need to stop and smell the roses. Spend less time worrying about why Pacman Jones is such a bad person, and spend more time appreciating the Wildcat formation.

It also helps to appreciate parity over having 1 or 2 dominate teams year after year.

Man it's fun watching teams cycle up and down in just 2 or 3 year time frames now - and great for the fans of those teams too.

I'm all for everything that has been going down dealing with off the field activities. Professional sports, especially basketball and football, have been a thug's game for much too long, and I for one couldn't be happier someone is finally standing up and informing these guys that they don't live above the law. On the other hand, I cannot stand how Goodell is dealing with things that happen on the field. Guys should not be penalized simply for making tough legal hits.

I don’t hear about football anymore, all I hear is about players getting suspended left and right, getting arrested left and right, and also simply being accused of things months after they have happened.
I dunno. I just picked a random year - 1993 - and looked for legal issues swirling around the NFL.1. The DEA in 1993 was conducting a major steroid investigation of the NFL. Giants OL Eric Moore was among those arrested, and he had some startling revelations about the league under interrogation.

http://books.google.com/books?id=I7-D2jH-O...result#PPA62,M1

Moore told the agent he was usually given advance notice of any test, the centerpiece of the NFL's program. He was allowed to enter the testing room alone and kept a clean vial of urine in his jock strap to substitute for his own.

2. Aug 4, 1993: The Raiders eject a reporter from the training camp because "they objected to the negative things the reporter said about how the team is run."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...=nfl&st=nyt

3. Dolphins Linebacker Brian Cox was causing all kinds of problems on and off the field.

Bryan Cox, the Dolphins' linebacker, is explosive on and off the field. During and after Miami's 19-14 loss to the Giants on Sunday, he talked back to Referee Gary Lane, who was telling him not to talk back to the game officials. He publicly criticized the officials. He almost got into a fight with a taunting fan and he argued with a league security official. After the game, he even argued with Joe Greene, a Dolphins assistant coach, who was trying to get him to leave the field.

Cox brought up the word "discrimination," but he made it clear that he was not talking of racial discrimination.

"Discrimination is really the word I mean," he said. "I'm saying in this league they look at the Miami Dolphins one way and everyone else the other. There is a double standard." In or Out Is the Question

He said that when Kevin Williams of the Dallas Cowboys wore his shirt out of his pants the entire game against Miami on Thanksgiving Day, he was not fined, but that when Mike Golic of the Dolphins wore his shirt out of his pants for one quarter, he was fined. Cox also cited a $10,000 league fine against him for his having made an indecent gesture to fans before a game in Buffalo.

4. Black leaders in Georgia got into it over the state flag having "confederate symbols on it" and didn't want it unfurled during the super bowl

5. 34 Redskins players were suspended for the final game of the year for failing to pay their union dues. A federal judge had to overturn the ruling.

6. Sept 27, 1993: Chargers RB Eric Bieniemy arrested

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...75AC0A965958260

ERIC BIENIEMY , the San Diego Chargers' running back and former University of Colorado football star, was arrested on Saturday for investigation of harassing a parking-lot attendant at the Miami-Colorado game in Boulder, Colo.

Bieniemy, 24 years old, also was named in an outstanding warrant on a charge of driving with a suspended license. He was released from Boulder County Jail on Saturday on $400 bond.

The Chargers (2-1) had a bye this weekend.

This year has more competition and surprises than the "all hail the Patriots" 2007 season.
Then again, the Patriots are 5-2 and in first place despite the loss of Tom Brady. If Belichick can win it this year, it might be his best job yet.

Sorry MOP...have to disagree entirely.The NFL purposefully morphed itself into a more competitive league, where more teams are in the race later in the season. We can debate how good a move that was, but the truth is....it worked. More fans get to root for THEIR team later into the season, and the NFL's popularity is quickly rising.Goodell is still new at his job. The players are still adjusting to his style of discipline. Many of us believe what he's doing will ultimately be good for the league (except for the over-protection of QB's...but that's besides the point!)As far as "watered down" first round talent...you're off base. We've had numerous studies in FBG showing that RB1 carries are about what they've always been. It's the RB2 carries that are up at the expense of RB3/4's. Top RB values are only diluted because there are more mediocre RB's to back them up with. With more mediocre backs comes more surprise backs...more deep values in fantasy. RBBC is NOT a real trend. It's actually more of a trending AWAY from "backups by commitee". I, for one...love it! Why is that a bad thing?????? I mean...we've always had deep Wr's...why not deep RB's???If you don't like it...then play in a league forcing 3 RB starters. That'll stress the RB pool back to what you consider the good old days.
I haven't read the whole thread but we are definitely on opposite sides here. 1. Fans rooting for their teams later into the season...it worked? It worked to put a watered down product on the field? It works to reward teams that are mismanaged year in and year out? 2. Goodell is new at his job? He seemed to have plenty of training long before he took over...this is a new image that he is trying to ram down everyone's throat and while I think players need to be accountable, I just am sick of the lead in story being about players suspended constantly...its an epidemic so whatever he is doing doesn't seem to be working.3. RBs are not more mediocre...in fact in most conversations I have with serious owners they all seem to think that the NFL has an influx of talent at the position. That is what is amking the split more and more IMO. Felix Jones behind MB III...what a luxury when Felix isn't hurt. Ricky behind Ronnie, Norwood behind Turner, MJD behind Taylor...there is a flood of good RBs not a bunch of mediocre backs. A better thing to say IMO is that there is no depth along the OL for most teams. 1 or 2 guys go down and the whole offense starts moving backwards. That's my take on it anyways. I love your passion, love the fact you do have an opinion, but we do see things differently. Great post

The present decade was obviously dominated with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning competing in 5 Super Bowls and winning 4 of them. We had a great rivalry between Tony Dungy who conquered personal heartbreak with the suicide of his son, and Bill Bellicheck who may or may not have cheated his way thru some of those Super Bowl runs.
When we begin to see the world in good versus evil terms, we lose sight of the beauty that is all around us. Original sin is not about unconsecrated sex; original sin is eating from the tree of knowledge -> viewing everything in life as good or bad, judging things, identifying flaws. With apologies for the platitude, you need to stop and smell the roses. Spend less time worrying about why Pacman Jones is such a bad person, and spend more time appreciating the Wildcat formation.
Its a good point SVBDS but when I turn on the NFL Network, ESPN, whatever the news outlet, the lead stories are those of suspensions, arrests, drug abuse, sterois involvement...I guess that is what why I love the boards...can just click on player profiles and get some debate goingnon based on strategy and what is actually happening on the field. I guess I just need to stick with that mindset...just sort of lost my mojo this week I guess.

I don’t hear about football anymore, all I hear is about players getting suspended left and right, getting arrested left and right, and also simply being accused of things months after they have happened.
I dunno. I just picked a random year - 1993 - and looked for legal issues swirling around the NFL.1. The DEA in 1993 was conducting a major steroid investigation of the NFL. Giants OL Eric Moore was among those arrested, and he had some startling revelations about the league under interrogation.

http://books.google.com/books?id=I7-D2jH-O...result#PPA62,M1

Moore told the agent he was usually given advance notice of any test, the centerpiece of the NFL's program. He was allowed to enter the testing room alone and kept a clean vial of urine in his jock strap to substitute for his own.

2. Aug 4, 1993: The Raiders eject a reporter from the training camp because "they objected to the negative things the reporter said about how the team is run."

3. Dolphins Linebacker Brian Cox was causing all kinds of problems on and off the field.

Bryan Cox, the Dolphins' linebacker, is explosive on and off the field. During and after Miami's 19-14 loss to the Giants on Sunday, he talked back to Referee Gary Lane, who was telling him not to talk back to the game officials. He publicly criticized the officials. He almost got into a fight with a taunting fan and he argued with a league security official. After the game, he even argued with Joe Greene, a Dolphins assistant coach, who was trying to get him to leave the field.

Cox brought up the word "discrimination," but he made it clear that he was not talking of racial discrimination.

"Discrimination is really the word I mean," he said. "I'm saying in this league they look at the Miami Dolphins one way and everyone else the other. There is a double standard." In or Out Is the Question

He said that when Kevin Williams of the Dallas Cowboys wore his shirt out of his pants the entire game against Miami on Thanksgiving Day, he was not fined, but that when Mike Golic of the Dolphins wore his shirt out of his pants for one quarter, he was fined. Cox also cited a $10,000 league fine against him for his having made an indecent gesture to fans before a game in Buffalo.

4. Black leaders in Georgia got into it over the state flag having "confederate symbols on it" and didn't want it unfurled during the super bowl

5. 34 Redskins players were suspended for the final game of the year for failing to pay their union dues. A federal judge had to overturn the ruling.

6. Sept 27, 1993: Chargers RB Eric Bieniemy arrested

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...75AC0A965958260

ERIC BIENIEMY , the San Diego Chargers' running back and former University of Colorado football star, was arrested on Saturday for investigation of harassing a parking-lot attendant at the Miami-Colorado game in Boulder, Colo.

Bieniemy, 24 years old, also was named in an outstanding warrant on a charge of driving with a suspended license. He was released from Boulder County Jail on Saturday on $400 bond.

The Chargers (2-1) had a bye this weekend.
Interesting. Maybe it's more of the increased media coverage/Sports Center effect then?MOP, always love your stuff - don't mind the rant - but I hope you continue next week because it's such a valuable tool around here.

Its a good point SVBDS but when I turn on the NFL Network, ESPN, whatever the news outlet, the lead stories are those of suspensions, arrests, drug abuse, sterois involvement...I guess that is what why I love the boards...can just click on player profiles and get some debate goingnon based on strategy and what is actually happening on the field. I guess I just need to stick with that mindset...just sort of lost my mojo this week I guess.
I enjoyed your thread this week as much as all the prior weekly RB threads. Don't worry; you're love for football isn't going to shrivel up and die.I tell you a secret. I stopped watching the national news 5 years ago. You need to steel yourself to the media machine before you turn on ESPN. It's an information age, and the media are ammoral; their singular focus is to get addicts to watch. Wake up and enjoy your life.

3. RBs are not more mediocre...in fact in most conversations I have with serious owners they all seem to think that the NFL has an influx of talent at the position. That is what is amking the split more and more IMO. Felix Jones behind MB III...what a luxury when Felix isn't hurt. Ricky behind Ronnie, Norwood behind Turner, MJD behind Taylor...there is a flood of good RBs not a bunch of mediocre backs. A better thing to say IMO is that there is no depth along the OL for most teams. 1 or 2 guys go down and the whole offense starts moving backwards. That's my take on it anyways.
Agree that offensive line depth is an issue...but I suspect there are multiple reasons for that problem and no simple fix. What I meant about the quantity of mediocre backs is that we have the same number of upper tier backs as we ever have had...the studs. It's that second tier of usefull, but far from studly RB's that is much bigger then previously, because so many NFL RB2's are getting far more carries then thier predecessors did 10-15 years ago. By mediocre I meant fantasy relevant/usefull vice irrelevant for fantasy purposes.

sounds like when old guys get around and talk about how the nfl was better when they were watching it to me
The rules protecting today's sissy QBs are a joke. Back in my day, Buddy Ryan's boys would kick a quarterback for 4 straight minutes while he was down and no one would complain.

I agree with MOP and have had a few issues myself with the past few seasons. This one just ices the cake.

Injuries have been insane for 2 years running now, maybe longer, but it really has started standing out within the past 2 years. That's just a side point, but I can think of many reasons for the NFL to spend R&D money on fixing this issue. If they haven't even established such a department and are relying upon vendors to do it, that is negligent. Turf just does not cut it if you "care" about your employees. Or would that be the player's union who should do it?

Criminal activity within the league needs to be squashed. At whatever penalization. If you are a "professional" anything, in this case athlete, you have an obligation to adhere to "company" rules. If you don't wish to, get the hell out. That's how it works. I wish the league was more stringent on these players making millions who can't leave the mentality of the "streets" behind. Basically, #### 'em. If you can't abide by some very simple rules, beat it.

However, if you are on the field and make a legal hit or some stupid TD celebration, who cares? The fans want it, and they are your cash cow, NFL. Suck it up - some team had to feel demeaned by a celebration. This is basically applying political correctness to teams rather than individuals - it's ridiculous. Plus, whatever happened to getting shown up by your opponent and turning that into resolve to go back out on the field and put them back in their place? The excessive celebrations could wind up hurting a team rather than helping them.

As for the season being exciting or not - it goes both ways. Sure, most of us have been screwed by many upset wins early on - such as big money survivor pools - but the fact that no team is running away with it actually helps keep things interesting and exciting. I like to see underdogs win. Fantasy wise, the season is a disaster. General fanbase wise, not so much. They're probably banking on the FF players buying a Torain jersey anyway, regardless of production.

Hey all,Just didn’t feel like breaking them all down this week. I also have a very ho hum attitude about the NFL at the moment. There is a list of things that are just terribly wrong in my opinion so I thought I might write about that and get some feed back form the board, see if anyone agrees or disagrees.
Yeah Christmas isn't as good anymore, no kidding, you're not 11.Legal stuff? Who really cares. I don't care in the least. I'm really going to watch less football because LJ beats up women? *lol* I don't care if LJ is molesting kids, I love football. He's a #####, good for him. How do you enjoy life? There's a kid getting molested every 10 minutes? Doesn't seem to hold you back from much. Sounds like you need a break, need to get outside. Stop sitting at the TV, alone, with a laptop checking 15+ dynasty leagues. Cut down your leagues. Go *outside*, go to a friends place, go to a sports bar, hang out with some real people. Real fans. Enjoy the sport. Guys who get burnt out nerd it up wayyyy too much. As for your forum posts. If you actually have some passion, go start a blog, it’s free. A domain is 10 bucks. Hosting is less. Build your own brand, comment on sports, break down games, break down FF. You'll enjoy getting a fan base, a following, even if it's 20 guys. That's 20 people taking the time to visit you, read your thoughts, maybe even make a comment back. Pouring your passion into someone elses brand isn't that rewarding. Sure it's nice to suck at Joe's teat, but where is it getting you? The problem isn't with the NFL. The problem is with you. Why can 10s of millions of other people have a blast? Loving all the teams who can make it, die hard fans all over just rooting their face off. Get back to BASICS. Pick a freaking team. ROOT for them. Watch them. Don't worry about checking on your 45 dynasty rosters. Don't use FF to fill a void in your life. Don't use it to escape reality. Then get burnt out and rant about how the NFL sucks. The NFL is freaking awesome. Go to some games. Yes I know you won't have your laptop, trust me it will be okay. You're the one that is lost, not the NFL. You think there's one die hard fan hating parity? You think there's one die hard Jets fan who gives a rats ### about LJ? *lol* Get a grip on your life. Whine whine whine. I want a 17-0 team every year. I was the same team winning 5 SBs in a row. You worry about your own team, rooting for them, being an actual FAN. You're just a fan of your 23 dynasty league rosters. No wonder you're sick of it. People love to blame everyone else for their own dissatisfaction, their own unhappiness. Because you obsess about it, the NFL has to keep getting better to feed your need. Maybe you need to check yourself, get some passion for a team, and get back to the grass roots of the greatest American sport ever.

It's not Goodell's fault these guys don't know how to behave.

I've had most of these guys on my fantasy teams and although it's a headache, I'm in complete support. Playing in the NFL and getting to live the lifestyle you're allowed to live is a priviledge and most of these young athletes entering the NFL have no clue what that means.

It's real easy for most.......don't screw up. If you do, you'll be fined, suspended and put on the headlines like no other.

As far as who's the good teams, that's what everyone wants. Be thankful, because the Cowboys were the last dynasty in the early 90's that was destroyed because of the salary cap era. That probably cost Dallas 1 to 2 SB's but I'm in full support. As much as I like Dallas, everyone plays with the same rules, not whomever is the richest team gets the best players.

This year is outstanding, if you knew now that the Giants or Titans didn't win the SB, you'd be hard pressed to make a selection and feel good about it. This keeps everyone interested.

As far as basketball in October/November...blah. In the East, pencil in Boston, Detroit and Cleveland and fast forward to the playoffs. Give Beasely the rookie of the year and for the West, it'll be close between about 10 teams in 3 months from now, so forget about it.

When I get burned out - often sometime in the midst of Sunday, frankly - I go throw the ball to my kid.

I would suggest going to watch some high school or pee wee games - my kid started basketball this week and it really made me appreciate the game more than I had in a while. Lots of good energy, enthusiasm and just plain JOY of the game.

Something we lose sight of that with the constant evaluation.

Users who are viewing this thread