What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Delays FA (1 Viewer)

NFL | Free agency starting three days later

Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:06:44 -0800

ESPNews reports the NFL has delayed the start of free agency by three days. It was previously scheduled to begin Friday, March 3.

Big ol' Honda ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they still need to be under the cap tonight.

The deadline for being under the cap is 10:00 pm eastern tonight.

Free agency was suppose to start 12:01 AM Friday

But what is the need for delaying the start of FA if the cap timestamp is the same?

It doesn't really make sense to me.

NFL owners delay free agency three days

Associated Press

click this

NEW YORK -- A few hours after NFL owners voted to continue their standoff with the players union, the league extended its deadline for free agency by three days, putting off what threatened to become a mass purge of high-priced players from rosters.

League vice president Joe Browne announced the delay Thursday afternoon, seven hours before the midnight deadline.

The owners' vote after a 57-minute meeting earlier in the day had seemed to end 13 years of labor peace between the league and its union.

The action left the salary cap at $94.5 million for the start of free agency, which was to begin Friday. Some players may have to be cut. That will cast more players onto the market, but leave little cap space to sign them; many teams had assumed a labor agreement would be reached, giving them about $10 million more to spend.

That could also have an impact on the best players in the free-agent class, led by two running backs: NFL MVP Shaun Alexander of Seattle and Edgerrin James of Indianapolis. They will certainly find fewer buyers and less money available, although two of the teams with a lot of cap room are Minnesota and Arizona, who could certainly use the two backs or Baltimore's Jamal Lewis, another running back.

The quick action by the owners, who affirmed their management council's rejection of the union's last offer, cast a pall around the league as general managers struggled to find cap room and agents tried to figure out how to sell clients in a market with less money and a potential glut of players.

"The situation is about as dire as dire can be," commissioner Paul Tagliabue said after a meeting so short that a lot of people who expected a 12-hour session arrived after most of the owners had departed the New York hotel where they met, braving a mix of ice and snow to try to get home quickly.

Agents and even some league officials held out hope for a last-minute agreement or an extension of the free-agent deadline, and the three-day delay may be a sign that something is in the works.

"I won't come down," said Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, who is asking for 60 percent of league revenue for players, four percentage points more than the owners are offering. "The players know that. Only the owners can make a proposal."

That the situation seems so dire is unusual in that there are two years left on the labor agreement first signed in 1993 and extended continually before the deadline.

Unless there is an agreement, there will be no salary cap in 2007, which could create big-spending "haves" and low-revenue "have-nots," a situation that has prevailed in other sports such as baseball. That also has traps for teams and players: A player would be eligible for free agency only after six years instead of the current four, there would be no salary minimum, and annual raises would be limited to 30 percent.

That is complicated by an internal dispute over revenue sharing between big- and small-money teams, a battle that has accelerated as outside revenue has increased from sources from stadium naming rights to local radio. That money is expected to be included in the new labor contract for the first time.

Upshaw contends that internal dispute should be settled before the labor agreement is reached, but the owners didn't even discuss it Thursday.

"Sure we should discuss it," said Buffalo owner Ralph Wilson, one of the have-nots. "But we didn't."

The ramifications for this year go beyond free agency. Cap problems will make it hard for teams to sign their draft picks, especially the high ones.

"We can always find creative ways to do things," said Leigh Steinberg, the agent for Southern California quarterback Matt Leinart, who is expected to be chosen no later than third in the draft.

"But I hope by draft time we will be beyond that. As teams peer into the abyss, as they peer into the apocalypse, sanity will return. When the NFLPA and management truly recognize the nature of no agreement, their intelligence and rationality will force them into making a deal."

Leinart won't be the only one to wait. So will many free agents.

In addition to Alexander, James and Lewis, among the most desirable players on the market include San Francisco linebackers Julian Peterson and Andre Carter; wide receivers Antwaan Randle El of Pittsburgh and David Givens of New England; cornerbacks Charles Woodson of Oakland and Ty Law, a Pro Bowler with the Jets last season; and linebacker Will Witherspoon of Carolina.

Then there is quarterback Drew Brees of San Diego, although his value went down when he injured his throwing shoulder in the final game of 2005.

I think they still need to be under the cap tonight.

The deadline for being under the cap is 10:00 pm eastern tonight.

Free agency was suppose to start 12:01 AM Friday
This is my thinking as well.

From what I have heard from ESPN radio is this extension was just so after all the cuts. The free agents had some time before they start the signing process with other teams.

still need to be under the cap, this just gives them more time to figure out how to get around the new cap structure

Fascinating display of brinksmanship by Tagliabue and Co.

NFL Wednesday: "Hey look...there's going to be MASSIVE PURGES OF VETERANS if we don't get a deal"

NFL Thurs. Morning: "No deal...we're going to slash our rosters now. Did we mention MASSIVE PURGES OF VETERANS yet?!??!?! "

NFL Thurs. Afternoon: "Well, OK, we'll wait 3 days. In the mean time, might you be willing to reconsider your offer since your rank and file are now scared ####less and about ready to fire you, Mr. Upshaw?"

So is it possible that...

Teams must be under the 94.5 million dollar cap tonight, but then within the next 3 days an agreement is struck and the cap shoots up to 102 million?

NFL Wednesday:  "Hey look...there's going to be MASSIVE PURGES OF VETERANS if we don't get a deal"

NFL Thurs. Morning: "No deal...we're going to slash our rosters now.  Did we mention MASSIVE PURGES OF VETERANS yet?!??!?! "

NFL Thurs. Afternoon:  "Well, OK, we'll wait 3 days.  In the mean time, might you be willing to reconsider your offer since your rank and file are now scared ####less and about ready to fire you, Mr. Upshaw?"
Like bringing knives to a gunfight. I never understood why the NFLPA doesn't have a Donald Fehr type guy. I have no love for Fehr but I don't understand this.I ask the same thing with Matt Millen. What exactly did Millen show that would qualify him for running a multimillion dollar business?

Seems to me sort of the same thing with Upshaw. Seems like a great guy but not necessarily the guy I want at the bargaining table.

J

Anyone think the owners may meet again?

Greedy Bas*ards :rant:
I think its the players who are greedy. Per ESPN:
The players were asking for 60 percent along with a revenue sharing formula among owners.
Thats in addition to their high salaries. Not a bad deal, getting free money from someone else's business. Owners should do what's best for the league, share among themselves. But to be forced to share among the players as well...

NFL Wednesday:  "Hey look...there's going to be MASSIVE PURGES OF VETERANS if we don't get a deal"

NFL Thurs. Morning: "No deal...we're going to slash our rosters now.  Did we mention MASSIVE PURGES OF VETERANS yet?!??!?! "

NFL Thurs. Afternoon:  "Well, OK, we'll wait 3 days.  In the mean time, might you be willing to reconsider your offer since your rank and file are now scared ####less and about ready to fire you, Mr. Upshaw?"
Like bringing knives to a gunfight. I never understood why the NFLPA doesn't have a Donald Fehr type guy. I have no love for Fehr but I don't understand this.I ask the same thing with Matt Millen. What exactly did Millen show that would qualify him for running a multimillion dollar business?

Seems to me sort of the same thing with Upshaw. Seems like a great guy but not necessarily the guy I want at the bargaining table.

J
Great post Joe.

J
Great post Joe.
Gotta agree here. :thumbup:

OK, so what happens now to players who were cut today (and all the restructurings that have gone on today) because talks broke down this morning and teams needed to get under the 95 mil cap, if a CBA extension is agreed to between now and Sunday night? Will teams have a mulligan and be able to undo any of this if they want?

Somebody changed my title while I was posting and sent me into cyberspace.

I was saying that Mort was on and saying this is not just to extend FA 3 days but, to give them more time to bargain. So, bargaining will continue. He also said that the cuts already made would probably have been made anyway.

NFL Wednesday: "Hey look...there's going to be MASSIVE PURGES OF VETERANS if we don't get a deal"

NFL Thurs. Morning: "No deal...we're going to slash our rosters now. Did we mention MASSIVE PURGES OF VETERANS yet?!??!?! "

NFL Thurs. Afternoon: "Well, OK, we'll wait 3 days. In the mean time, might you be willing to reconsider your offer since your rank and file are now scared ####less and about ready to fire you, Mr. Upshaw?"
:goodposting: :lmao:

Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:15:05 -0800

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the NFL has moved the cut-down deadline for teams to get under the salary cap to 6 p.m. Sunday, March 5.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the NFL has moved the cut-down deadline for teams to get under the salary cap to 6 p.m. Sunday, March 5.
Ok this was the missing piece. The start of free agency and the cut-down date are two completely separate things. I'm glad they decided to move the cutdown date too, maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel after all?

I knew it. What a bunch of punks. "Ohhhh Bloody Thursday" :rolleyes:

They are all sitting in an office laughing at how much all teh fantasy/NFL geeks are eating all this stuff up.

:lmao:

Ok this was the missing piece. The start of free agency and the cut-down date are two completely separate things. I'm glad they decided to move the cutdown date too, maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel after all?
If this is the case, you probably won't see any more cuts till then. Do you think there were any players that were cut figuring this was not going to be settled? If it was settled, would they still have been cut depending on the outcome?

Like bringing knives to a gunfight.  I never understood why the NFLPA doesn't have a Donald Fehr type guy. I have no love for Fehr but I don't understand this.

I ask the same thing with Matt Millen. What exactly did Millen show that would qualify him for running a multimillion dollar business?

J
I don't understand this. Since he's been the main voice of the NFLPA the players salaries have doubled or tripled plus they've devellopped a plan to give something to the retired players that didn't make nearly as much. I don't necessarily agree with his tactics but his results are pretty sweet. It's hard to imagine someone doing better esp when you think the guys today make wayyyy more money than Joe Montana and LT ever made.A for what exactly did he show, he was an active member of the bargaining committee thoughout the 70s and early 80s. He just took a step up.

OK, so what happens now to players who were cut today (and all the restructurings that have gone on today) because talks broke down this morning and teams needed to get under the 95 mil cap, if a CBA extension is agreed to between now and Sunday night? Will teams have a mulligan and be able to undo any of this if they want?
Mort just answered my question on ESPN. A cut today doesn't count if a team want to bring a player back in light of the delay.

OK, so what happens now to players who were cut today (and all the restructurings that have gone on today) because talks broke down this morning and teams needed to get under the 95 mil cap, if a CBA extension is agreed to between now and Sunday night?  Will teams have a mulligan and be able to undo any of this if they want?
:yes: per ESPN, a "high placed NFL official" stated teams will be able to recall players put on waivers, given the ever changing "deadline"--now 6PM Sunday for cap compliance and 12:01AM Monday for start of FA

stay tuned!

Like bringing knives to a gunfight.  I never understood why the NFLPA doesn't have a Donald Fehr type guy. I have no love for Fehr but I don't understand this.

I ask the same thing with Matt Millen. What exactly did Millen show that would qualify him for running a multimillion dollar business?

J
I don't understand this. Since he's been the main voice of the NFLPA the players salaries have doubled or tripled plus they've devellopped a plan to give something to the retired players that didn't make nearly as much. I don't necessarily agree with his tactics but his results are pretty sweet. It's hard to imagine someone doing better esp when you think the guys today make wayyyy more money than Joe Montana and LT ever made.A for what exactly did he show, he was an active member of the bargaining committee thoughout the 70s and early 80s. He just took a step up.
Hi Bri,If you'd rather have Gene Upshaw at the table for you instead of Donald Fehr, then we'll just have to disagree.

And remember, this is purely from a players point of view. I think Donald Fehr was bad for baseball. But he was good for the players. Which is not the same thing.

J

As backup for what was said earlier: ESPN Link

A high-level source with one NFL team told ESPN.com the league has informed teams that any player placed on waivers during this period of uncertainty can be recalled from waivers until there is more clarity about the pending free-agency period.

:yes: per ESPN, a "high placed NFL official" stated teams will be able to recall players put on waivers, given the ever changing "deadline"--now 6PM Sunday for cap compliance and 12:01AM Monday for start of FA

stay tuned!
Wow!! Waiver recall... sounds just like baseball to me. Seriously though, I can just imagine the NFL's meetings going something like: guys, start purging your rosters. You don't have to get under the cap all the way if you don't want to, but start making some cuts. Don't worry, once we scare the crap out of the NFLPA, we'll let you recall the cuts.

What does all of this mean in regards to revenue-sharing? Even if Upshaw takes the 56.3 %, will the small-market owners approve it without a revenue-sharing plan?

I assume if these numbers are being leaked that it's the NFL beginning to lobby through the press. From profootballtalk.com, first report I've seen of actual numbers being proposed (as opposed to percentages), supposedly leaked from a "league source":

..............a league source has given us some specific information regarding the magnitude of the deal that's on the table. Under the league's offer, a minimum of $22.2 billion would be paid to players in the form of salary from 2006 through 2011, and more than $4 billion would be devoted to benefit plans.This translates to a minimum salary cap in 2011 of a whopping $134 million. Minimum. Under the league's offer, the benefit money would increase from $16.5 million per team in 2005 to $29.2 million per team in 2011.
Since they have 3 more days to negotiate, there will probably be more strategic leaks by both sides to show how good their proposals are.

J
Yeah, and what did Joe Dumars exactly show that would qualify him for running a multimillion dollar business? Or Jerry West? Waiting for your answer.

stay tuned!
Wow!! Waiver recall... sounds just like baseball to me. Seriously though, I can just imagine the NFL's meetings going something like: guys, start purging your rosters. You don't have to get under the cap all the way if you don't want to, but start making some cuts. Don't worry, once we scare the crap out of the NFLPA, we'll let you recall the cuts.
That's exactly what I thought. Although it's not necessarily just a scare tactic. If teams have to make cuts, they have to make cuts. What happens now is that all of those teams can make the cuts that they have to make under the existing conditions, the players can see how devastating that will be for them and then force Upshaw to make a concession. While it is a scare tactic of sorts, it's also a way of letting the reality sink in to the players while still offering them an out. Great move by the owners IMO.

So if they are able to come up with a deal, what happens to all the players that got cut???

Honestly, this #### makes me laugh... Teams thought they had to get under the cap and drop players and then they extend the deadline by 3 days.........

WOW!!!!!

J
Yeah, and what did Joe Dumars exactly show that would qualify him for running a multimillion dollar business? Or Jerry West? Waiting for your answer.
:lmao: What did they show? Nothing.

It worked out for them fortunately. I'm asking why take that chance? I'll take a guy with a proven track record in what I'm asking him to any day.

J

So if they are able to come up with a deal, what happens to all the players that got cut???

Honestly, this #### makes me laugh... Teams thought they had to get under the cap and drop players and then they extend the deadline by 3 days.........

WOW!!!!!
A high-level source with one NFL team told ESPN.com the league has informed teams that any player placed on waivers during this period of uncertainty can be recalled from waivers until there is more clarity about the pending free-agency period.
LINKIt's still unclear what this means, exactly, as some places are saying that anyone cut today can be reinstated but players from yesterday cannot.

I would not feel 100% comfortable in anything right about now, and we may see info released that really is incomplete orunclear.

WOW!!!!!
LINKIt's still unclear what this means, exactly, as some places are saying that anyone cut today can be reinstated but players from yesterday cannot.

I would not feel 100% comfortable in anything right about now, and we may see info released that really is incomplete orunclear.
Thanks David...

J
Hi Bri,If you'd rather have Gene Upshaw at the table for you instead of Donald Fehr, then we'll just have to disagree.

And remember, this is purely from a players point of view. I think Donald Fehr was bad for baseball. But he was good for the players. Which is not the same thing.

J
He's an odd guyThere's times you shake your head wonderring what he's up to or why he did this or that but wow does he get results. Many of which are controversial and debatable.

The 1987 strike IIRC was not long after he took the throne. Many say the players lost but did they lose that money wise?

They went without a CBA from like mid 1987 til 1992 or 3 I think. I don't recall the time from 87-92 but from afar I think it's just such an odd result in labor negotiations. Did he say "OK we'll roll without a CBA?" Was it ego on both sides with the USFL folding?

The last time, as far as I can remember they banged heads and (as a whole) the changes weren't so dramatic just franchise/transition players, how bonuses are against the cap, WFL became NFLE, and some other stuff.

So yeah Joe based on above there's no way I want this guy representing me and the possibility of me making millions and never having to (really) work a job. But the dollars he got them are insane and that's gotta be the bottomline IMO.

Plus, he has no choice but to be the voice for TO(among others). Doesn't he earn a sympathy vote from you there? :D

Users who are viewing this thread