What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL PrimeTime Appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Just another reason why Berman should had retired 10 years ago.
Boo this man. Boooo
Lol, his style has been stale to the point where it's like hearing "The Joker" from Steve Miller Band every two hours on the classic rock radio station. People who first heard that song when it first came out in the 70's reminds them of how old they are now. Berman is like hearing an old Casey Kasem broadcast, it's a familiar voice, but now with NextGen stats.

Boo this man. Boooo
Lol, his style has been stale to the point where it's like hearing "The Joker" from Steve Miller Band every two hours on the classic rock radio station. People who first heard that song when it first came out in the 70's reminds them of how old they are now. Berman is like hearing an old Casey Kasem broadcast, it's a familiar voice, but now with NextGen stats.
You're rumblin, stumblin, and fumblin the point of this thread.

Boo this man. Boooo
He speaks of the pompatus of football.

Shtick aside, I get your point @drummer . I am 35, so this was the voice of the NFL growing up for me.
The funny thing is, I remember the halcyon days of ESPN, and when Robin Roberts was also on NFL Prime Time. I rarely watch ESPN anymore, and I think the only two people left from ESPN as it's zenith then are Linda Cohn and Berman. Berman's shtick was fresh then, and it should had stayed there. Current Berman is doing Classic Berman a disservice, when you are missing Classic Berman while he is still on the air lol.

Boo this man. Boooo
He speaks of the pompatus of football.
I really love your fatness, want to shake your tree...

Shtick aside, I get your point @drummer . I am 35, so this was the voice of the NFL growing up for me.
The funny thing is, I remember the halcyon days of ESPN, and when Robin Roberts was also on NFL Prime Time. I rarely watch ESPN anymore, and I think the only two people left from ESPN as it's zenith then are Linda Cohn and Berman. Berman's shtick was fresh then, and it should had stayed there. Current Berman is doing Classic Berman a disservice, when you are missing Classic Berman while he is still on the air lol.
SVP is still going for a bit longer at least.

Definitely kept Berman in a big seat for too long, but they never knew how to replace him. They still let Kiper be a giant douche each draft, at least Berman had fun with it.

I'm with ya, Desert. His woop sound when a tackler missed is iconic.
Eric "Sleeping With" Bieniemy
Bert "Be Home" Blyleven
My favorites were always:

Andre 'Bad Moon' Rison
Mike 'You're in Good Hands with' Alstott

He's still pumping them out though.

This really takes me back. It was my first year playing fantasy football, and along with the sports page (for stats), NFL PrimeTime was THE highlight show to watch.
Used to watch this every week and help my dad score points for his league. Of course, only the sports page of the Post and Courier was official
USA Today was usually the official source.

I think it's just the nostalgic reminder of being a young kid and watching football that gets me.

I get it, too. Nothing wrong with that. That's like Mel Allen and This Week In Baseball for me. But Mel has moved off of this mortal coil. So the TWIB music suffices for the nostalgia part of it.

I think it's just the nostalgic reminder of being a young kid and watching football that gets me.

I get it, too. Nothing wrong with that. That's like Mel Allen and This Week In Baseball for me. But Mel has moved off of this mortal coil. So the TWIB music suffices for the nostalgia part of it.
Ahhhh the mortal coil, RIP Mel. Who came up with the whole mortal coil thing? Is that Shakespeare?

Ahhhh the mortal coil, RIP Mel. Who came up with the whole mortal coil thing? Is that Shakespeare?

Yes. It's Hamlet.

It's the "To Be, Or Not To Be" soliloquy. Act III, Scene I (That exactness of act and scene I looked up)

To sleep . . . perchance to dream

Yes. It's Hamlet.

It's the "To Be, Or Not To Be" soliloquy. Act III, Scene I (That exactness of act and scene I looked up)

To sleep . . . perchance to dream
ahhhh yes ofcourse, The Tragedy of Hamlet. Perhaps the only good thing the Danes have given us and they aren't actually responsible for it.

I remember the first season. I thought this is wonderful. Berman and Jackson going over the games every Sunday night was way better then waiting for the Monday morning newspaper.

I posted the below on another message board in week 1. Thought it was worth sharing the Primetime appreciation!

NFL Primetime 20 Years Ago: Week 1, 2003

I was listening to a playlist of music from NFL Primetime, and ran across the show from week 1 of 2003. I was a young Lions fan at the time, and this brought back some memories. I was really surprised how much happened that week. Figured I would share. Below are direct links to a few highlights:

"No one circles the ex-Patriots like the Buffalo Bills" - Lawyer Milloy, Brady's worst career game?...went on to win SB

Jake Delhomme takes over for Peete, brings team back, eventually leads Panthers to SB

Boldin's rookie record, Lion's bright future w/ Mariucci, Harrington and Rogers :(, Emmitt first game with Cards

Users who are viewing this thread