What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Niece got arrested heroin possession. It's not drugs it is mental (1 Viewer)

On a bad note, she is back in rehab.  Talking with my sister who is not the mother.  She is just mentally ill.  We have no solution.  Get her help isn't going to work.....it seems.
Really sorry to hear that. Stay strong, I'm sure this is incredibly stressful for all involved.

I'm playing Monday morning QB.  Not in her day to day but through family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warrant was issued in February, niece got pulled over yesterday.  Nothing serious, didn't get cited or anything but they ran her and warrants out of Detroit came back.  At least 3.   Cops let her go because Detroit didn't respond.  

They contacted lawyer today, he didn't know how much we paid and his big deal was letting her know a warrant was issued which he didn't do.  

Any advice?  Especially @Zow

Attorney is looking for 3k more to 7k.  

I have changed jobs and working like a dog and got to go to sleep but I will reread this thread to get me back up to speed because I am not really in touch with what has happened being 2 years ago.  I remember people gave great attorney recommendations but I think we made the wrong choice.  What we paid I thought should be in a trust and he should know how much.  No bills from current lawyer.

TIA

Good night

Warrant was issued in February, niece got pulled over yesterday.  Nothing serious, didn't get cited or anything but they ran her and warrants out of Detroit came back.  At least 3.   Cops let her go because Detroit didn't respond.  

They contacted lawyer today, he didn't know how much we paid and his big deal was letting her know a warrant was issued which he didn't do.  

Any advice?  Especially @Zow

Attorney is looking for 3k more to 7k.  

I have changed jobs and working like a dog and got to go to sleep but I will reread this thread to get me back up to speed because I am not really in touch with what has happened being 2 years ago.  I remember people gave great attorney recommendations but I think we made the wrong choice.  What we paid I thought should be in a trust and he should know how much.  No bills from current lawyer.

TIA

Good night
Unpack this a bit for me. Sometimes warrants do issue and it's possible to not know that despite due diligence (although that's still unlikely) but I'm not understanding the lawyer not knowing how much was paid. Wasn't there some sort of fee agreement and invoice? I'm also not entirely understanding the possible. In my jurisdiction most criminal fees are flat fees. It's possible there could be a trial fee or some other sort of structured fees down the line, but I find it odd that this isn't more clear. 

Still no charges, how long do they have?
If I'm following this correctly they were still investigating/determining whether to charge her (okay, that's normal), you hired a lawyer pre-charge to get in front of it (very good decision) but a warrant issued without the lawyer knowing, you don't know what the exact charges are, the lawyer doesn't know what you paid, and has provided a range? 

If I'm following this correctly they were still investigating/determining whether to charge her (okay, that's normal), you hired a lawyer pre-charge to get in front of it (very good decision) but a warrant issued without the lawyer knowing, you don't know what the exact charges are, the lawyer doesn't know what you paid, and has provided a range? 
I didn't have time to reread the thread last night.  His fees are in the ballpark of what he said they would be in my post to you on May 30, 2017.  

I talked to him today, he seemed liked a good attorney to me.  He talked with my niece yesterday which is probably the confusion.

She will go to Detroit and turn herself in on October 14.  Her daughter.  Who is about 18 months is have surgery for her ears(tubes) on the 10th.  

He is pretty sure he can get her out on a personal bond if she turns herself in.  

He needs 2500 more before her next court date which would be 7 to 10 days after that.  Niece is working and said she will have 2500 saved by then.  

One weird thing, the attorney said he could only see 3 charges and they all are felonies but there is a possibility there could be more.

She is doing ok at this point in time, hopefully she can address her past and deal with this and move forward without getting punished too much.

Much thanks to all that posted in here and especially you Zow.  If we ever meet IRL all meals and drinks are on me.

Thanks!

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
I didn't have time to reread the thread last night.  His fees are in the ballpark of what he said they would be in my post to you on May 30, 2017.  

I talked to him today, he seemed liked a good attorney to me.  He talked with my niece yesterday which is probably the confusion.

She will go to Detroit and turn herself in on October 14.  Her daughter.  Who is about 18 months is have surgery for her ears(tubes) on the 10th.  

He is pretty sure he can get her out on a personal bond if she turns herself in.  

He needs 2500 more before her next court date which would be 7 to 10 days after that.  Niece is working and said she will have 2500 saved by then.  

One weird thing, the attorney said he could only see 3 charges and they all are felonies but there is a possibility there could be more.

She is doing ok at this point in time, hopefully she can address her past and deal with this and move forward without getting punished too much.

Much thanks to all that posted in here and especially you Zow.  If we ever meet IRL all meals and drinks are on me.

Thanks!
Glad to hear it went well and everything else you're saying makes more sense now. 

As to the bold, the attorney likely does not have a copy of the formal charging document because his notice of appearance hasn't been processed yet.  So, he's likely looking at a public access type website where the information contained therein isn't always accurate or complete. 

Well, she turned herself in.  And is free on personal bond 10,000.  Don't know what that means but no bond had to be posted.  Judge had a problem with warrant being issued in January and her just turning herself in now but her lawyer to the blame and told her was retained 2 years ago and never saw the charge.

She has an intent to distribute charge too which doesn't help.

She goes back the 28th.  Then 11/5.

Also, lawyer had her go straight to court, didn't have to be rearrested.  Judge not happy about that but it save her some stress. 

Here's a news flash - drug abuse and mental illness do not usually exist apart from each other.  While those with mental health diagnoses can often keep their issues in check, drug abusers usually have mental illnesses, even if they are not formally diagnosed.  Sadly, treatment providers are barely in the genesis of recognizing dual diagnoses and still usually try to treat only one or the other independently.

To IC FBGCav, hoping for the best for your family.

Here's a news flash - drug abuse and mental illness do not usually exist apart from each other.  While those with mental health diagnoses can often keep their issues in check, drug abusers usually have mental illnesses, even if they are not formally diagnosed.  Sadly, treatment providers are barely in the genesis of recognizing dual diagnoses and still usually try to treat only one or the other independently.

To IC FBGCav, hoping for the best for your family.
I don't enable her with drugs or money.  I did this time pay legal stuff.  My Nephew who is 19 and in college keeps telling me he is neglected because of his sister his life...is hard too.  I told him, I understand and I am there for him and subtly to man up.

Users who are viewing this thread